MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
edition.cnn.com

A perfectly preserved Ice Age cave bear has been found in Russia -- even its nose is intact | CNN

The perfectly preserved remains of an Ice Age cave bear have been discovered in the Russian Arctic -- the first example of the species ever to be found with soft tissues intact.

The perfectly preserved remains of an Ice Age cave bear have been discovered in the Russian Arctic -- the first example of the species ever to be found with soft tissues intact.

The astonishing find was made by reindeer herders on the Lyakhovsky Islands, which are part of the New Siberian islands archipelago in Russia's Far North.

Prior to this, only the bones of cave bears had been unearthed, but this specimen even had its nose intact, according to a team of scientists from the North-Eastern Federal University (NEFU) in Yakutsk, Siberia.

The discovery is of "world importance," a leading Russian expert on extinct Ice Age species said.

Significant discoveries, including mammoths, woolly rhinos, Ice Age foal, several puppies and cave lion cubs, have been made in Siberia in recent years as the permafrost melts.

uQfzs2jh.jpg

JB4iYKmh.jpg

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oh wow practically everything is still attached. That's incredibly well preserved!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
These ancient beasts are the WEAPONS from FFVII that are awakening due to climate change and will soon rampage humanity for their sins.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
I have found some perfectly preserved eggs!

300x225x4667376531_67944e20e9_o.jpg.pagespeed.ic.sAkF77095e.jpg

Just kidding. This is an amazing discovery.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The "as the permafrost melts" part gives me slightly more mixed feelings about this.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
On one hand these discoveries are cool, but at the same time knowing it is global warming making it happen puts a damper on the joy I get out of it.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Amazing discovery, I've always been fascinated with the Ice age and how our ancestors coexisted with all those beasts....to think that just over 10,000 years ago prides of American Lions which were larger than modern African Lions, roamed the western US along with Sabre tooth cats and giant sloths and dire wolves..