Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
2023NT1_15july2023_vt_c14_masi.jpg

We were blinded by the sun

In brief: If a massive asteroid were going to hit Earth, would it be better not to know about it until the object was lighting up our sky? We almost found out last week when a 200-foot object made a relatively close passing of our planet, something scientists didn't know about until 2 days later.

Astronomers at the Atlas Observatory in South Africa first spotted 2023 NT1 on July 15, two days after making its closest approach to Earth. The asteroid entered a 60,000-mile radius of the planet – about 1/4 the moon's distance to Earth.

We're usually aware of any potentially hazardous space objects long before they get close to our planet. Asteroid 1994 XD, which is between 1,214 to 2,723 feet in diameter, came as close as 1.96 million miles to Earth last month. It was discovered by the Spacewatch group at Kitt Peak Observatory in Arizona in 1994.

Asteroid 2023 NT1 was different, though, as it traveled toward us from the sun and thus was hidden by the star's glare. This was the same reason why nobody spotted a 20-meter (65-foot) asteroid in 2013 until it exploded over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk in 2013, sending out a shockwave that injured 1,500 people and damaged buildings.

NASA defines asteroids with 2023 NT1's dimensions as airplane-size. A quick look at the ever-ominous Asteroid Launcher website and picking New York as an impact point shows that the object's size and speed (11.28 km per second) would leave a 225-meter (738-foot) crater. Around 235 people would be vaporized and a 328-foot-tall tsunami would be created. That's just an estimate: the asteroid that hit Arizona 50,000 years ago was a little smaller than 2023 NT1 at 160 feet but created the 3,900-foot diameter Barringer Crater.
In an attempt to avoid future situations like these, the European Space Agency (ESA) has planned a project called NEOMIR. The mission will orbit between the Earth and Sun around the first Lagrange point (L1), giving the telescope a view of asteroids that may come toward the Earth from the direction of the Sun. Unfortunately, it's not set to launch until 2030.

"By making observations in the infrared part of the light spectrum, NEOMIR will detect the heat emitted by asteroids themselves, which isn't drowned out by sunlight. This thermal emission is absorbed by Earth's atmosphere, but from space NEOMIR will be able to see closer to the Sun than we can currently from Earth," writes the ESA.
www.techspot.com

A 200-foot asteroid that just missed Earth last week wasn't detected until two days later

Astronomers at the Atlas Observatory in South Africa first spotted 2023 NT1 on July 15, two days after making its closest approach to Earth. The asteroid entered...
earthsky.org

| EarthSky

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
200 feet doesn't seem that worrisome relatively speaking for planetary objects. It would have been pretty bad if it hit a populated area (taken out a block), but it's still very very far from world ending.

Last edited:

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight, if this did happen I would have preferred not knowing ahead of time, especially if it was going to hit where I am.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
If we're going to have a near miss, at least have it pass in front of the moon. I bet that would look pretty cool.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
200 feet doesn't seem that worrisome relatively speaking for planetary objects. It would have been pretty bad if it hit a populated area (taken out a block), but it's still very very far from world ending.

It was bigger than the one that hit Arizona. Have you seen the crater that one left in person? It would be devastating.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
200 feet doesn't seem that worrisome relatively speaking for planetary objects. It wouldn't have been pretty bad if it hit a populated area (taken out a block), but it's still very very far from world ending.
Definitely bigger than a city block. The Tunguska event, which flattened 2,150 km^2 (830 sq mi) of forest was estimated to have been caused by a 50-100 m (150-300 ft) asteroid.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
It would take out more than a block. It's a city killer. The impact and blast wave would be greater than any nuclear bomb tested.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It would take out more than a block. It's a city killer. The impact and blast wave would be greater than any nuclear bomb tested.

Noted, point still stands that while devistating it's small compared to other rocks floating out there.

Good chance it would have hit water too (but then there's tsunamis to worry about)

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Noted, point still stands that while devistating it's small compared to other rocks floating out there.

Good chance it would have hit water too (but then there's tsunamis to worry about)
Yep, absolutely good to put things in scale. That said, most of those big ones we've actually found and are tracking. It's these middle-sized ones that are much more difficult to spot and keep an eye on.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Add it to the long list of reasons why we need to increase NASA's budget which sits at around half a % of the total US budget.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Damn not that long ago I had a conversation with a cousin who fears this kind of thing and I was like "c'mon dude we know like 99% of everything near our planet we won't be surprised by a meteorite." Whelp time to send him a link and an apology with a commitment to his meteor proof storm shelter.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The smaller things are, the harder they are to detect, and the more of them there are likely to be.

We've got a great handle on most of the "planet killers" out there. Super certain of orbits, loads of advanced notice, it'd take something weird like an Oort cloud object or an interstellar body coming out of nowhere to really surprise us at that scale.

Then the country-enders we're less sure on, we've catalogued a lot of them, but probably not all of them. And the city-busters... well, we missed this one. Plenty more where that came from.

In hindsight, if this did happen I would have preferred not knowing ahead of time, especially if it was going to hit where I am.
truth be told, i'd rather not know.

Something of this size is a "drive one state over and you're fine" level event.

Are you the kinds of people who ignore hurricane warnings and shit? Why wouldn't you want to know so you could evacuate?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if this had hit, that would've been really really bad.

I wonder what the odds are of a "planet killer" that's small but traveling extremely fast hitting Earth are. To me seems more likely that something like that could come out of nowhere versus a massive asteroid.