Do we see Metroid Prime 4 in all of it's glory at the next Nintendo Direct?

• I BELIEVE

Votes: 263 41.4%
  • No, it's not happening

Votes: 373 58.6%

• Total voters

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Yep, that's right, 7 years ago to the day, Metroid Prime 4 was announced:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIv_UXI_So&ab_channel=NintendoofAmerica
GQAEUqdbEAE_Y30

And we're not far off from the sixth anniversary of them announcing that they're reexamining their development structure for it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIv_UXI_So&ab_channel=NintendoofAmerica

I just thought I'd remind everyone before the day's over, you know, to relive some good ol' memories about this game's reveal lmao.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy in that time we've had a full new metroid game, a full remake, and a beautiful remaster.

But I believe.

ponzu_boy

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It got rebooted in 2019, meaning active development has been around 5 years. I think we can expect it to come out soon. My guess is next year.

Jan 15, 2019
Sooner or later it's goIng to become bLatantly obvious, given that we Know nothing elSe about Prime 4 Other than a logo after seveN years, that this Game is in development hell.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It is completely normal for Nintendo to hunker down and get through development until they have something to show, then promote a game 3-6 months before release. Unless things have taken a drastic turn for the worst and it's dead, which I feel is unlikely, we will see it. It will still be on the Switch. It will probably also be on Switch 2.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
part of me is starting to lean towards it being a cross-gen game like breath of the wild was. if that is the case, we will probably see it very soon.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I voted no in the last thread. Voted yes in this one. Need to maintain some balance in the universe.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
Magic 8 ball says "No". This thing is hit or miss though like sometimes it breaks down or something, I don't know what's going on with it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I still think it's in the direct this month. Nintendo's gotta have a marquee title and it benefits from the quiet year, and from the new launch approaching while not having to fight the other headliners

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
No matter what hurdles they have faced in the development of this game, 7 years is just insanity. At that point just cancel the thing. Don't spend a decade making a single damn game.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the game has now been in development for 5+ years (since the original version was canceled), I think there is a decent shot that it's finally ready. 5 years with Covid happening early on in development seems right for a AAA game in 2024.

That said, I think they just save it for Switch 2- they know they will need a constant stream of titles for it, and it's not like Metroid Prime 4 is going to move Switches off the shelf this holiday.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
Has there been a Nintendo game in development for this long?
I don't know how the gaming industry works that well but I imagine it wasn't like people heads down full speed ahead on development since it was announced. It probably went through various phases where it was being worked on to varying levels of effort or maybe even put on hold for a bit or something like that.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No matter what hurdles they have faced in the development of this game, 7 years is just insanity. At that point just cancel the thing. Don't spend a decade making a single damn game.

The game switched studios and restarted development, and then covid happened. 7 years is insanity. But, not as insane as just tossing the game aside because it took so long to develop. I am sure in the end we will have an awesome game.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will announce Switch 2 later this year in a special Direct. We'll see some interesting trailers, but overall it'll be somewhat underwhelming. We'll think "maybe I won't buy it at launch". At that moment, Nintendo will drop the Metroid Prime 4 trailer, launching day and date with Switch 2.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Wasn't that poll already made yesterday? Anyway, I maintain they wouldn't have released Prime Remastered if Prime 4 wasn't close to completion. I definitely expect it to appear at the next Direct.

That being said...

Agree on next year for release. The 2025 software lineup just keeps getting better.

...Ok, now you have my attention.

Has there been a Nintendo game in development for this long?

Didn't Miyamoto say that Pikmin 4 was close to completion back in 2016 or around there?

That was wild.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My assumption is it's a Switch 2 launch game and they'll reveal it alongside the console. However I feel that so firmly in my bones I'll probably be wrong.

Would it, if it is at the direct for a holiday release, be the biggest game Nintendo has ever revealed (with more than a trailer) with the minimum amount of months til launch? I feel like they reveal those games early.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If the studio owned by Namco had been doing fine from the start what year do you think prime 4 would have released 2020 or 2021?
What would Retro have done instead?

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It has been 10 over years since Retro released their most recent fully original new game. Yes, I'm well aware of the projects they assisted on, and the Metroid Prime remaster, and the rumored cancelled Star Fox racer yadda yadda. I'm excited for MP4 but also saddened that we may not see another title from them until 2036 at their current pace.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My assumption is it's a Switch 2 launch game and they'll reveal it alongside the console. However I feel that so firmly in my bones I'll probably be wrong.

Would it, if it is at the direct for a holiday release, be the biggest game Nintendo has ever revealed (with more than a trailer) with the minimum amount of months til launch? I feel like they reveal those games early.

Biggest? No, not even close. Metroid isn't a big series. For example Super mario bros wonder was announced in June for an October release. The vast majority of Nintendo games now seem to aim for a half a year at most advertising cycle.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I don't know how the gaming industry works that well but I imagine it wasn't like people heads down full speed ahead on development since it was announced. It probably went through various phases where it was being worked on to varying levels of effort or maybe even put on hold for a bit or something like that.
Also apparently Mother 3 was in development for like 12 years, so that takes the cake currently

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Video game development is such a damn mess.

It always was, but the past two generations especially, since it takes so much longer to make all the 4k assets people want in their big games.

I genuinely miss the 360/PS3 era where we could get 3 Mass Effects and 2 Dragon Ages from a single studio in one generation, or 3 Dead Spaces, or 3 Uncharteds!
And one failed game didn't always doom an entire developer.

Waiting so long for a game to come out with no actual guarantee that it'll even be good. Usually games that go for so long have rocky developments, get scrapped half-way through, etc.
Not to mention the awful work and terrible pay, but I digress.

I don't doubt that Nintendo and Retro are making sure this will be great when it eventually comes out, but come on.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Pikmin 4 was like 8 years or whatever, but that was a similar tale of starting and stopping.

I think ultimately for the Retro portion of this dev time over the last ~5 years, we really don't even know how that shook out considering they were working on the Prime/Trilogy remaster for several years of that. Who knows how long it took for the game to get fully underway once they took over.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Pikmin 4 was like 8 years or whatever, but that was a similar tale of starting and stopping.

I think ultimately for the Retro portion of this dev time over the last ~5 years, we really don't even know how that shook out considering they were working on the Prime/Trilogy remaster for several years of that. Who knows how long it took for the game to get fully underway once they took over.

Wow we really did get 4 Pikmin games before Metroid Prime 4! I never considered how crazy that is.