• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
www.ign.com

ESA Responds to IGN's E3 2023 Report: Reviving Show 'Was Always Going to Have Its Challenges' - IGN

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) has addressed IGN's report that Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony won't be formally taking part in E3.

IGN corroborating Chris and VGC

Very curious to hear why Nintendo is ramping up Switch production. Maybe it's another increasingly common Mochizuki L?

Quoting from another thread, I don't see Nintendo waiting until Winter 2024 to release the Switch 2; a March 2024 release seems like It could happen.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I wonder if Nintendo's just putting all of their resources in the Switch 2 launch lineup while coasting off the remainder of the first-party Switch games. This also pretty much tells me that Metroid is a 2024 game and likely a Switch 2 launch window title at the very earliest.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Man they've been so consistent back to back, something tells me it'll still be selling even after Zelda with "nothing". I don't see this as the Wii U at all. With that said, where is my all white switch lite?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This kinda makes me feel better about not buying back into Switch for TotK and just waiting for the new hardware with a little backlog of games waiting at launch.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
If they really don't have anything after Zelda then yeah, A early 2024 Switch 2 release is looking like the case

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take it whenever it happens. Just better play my existing games, even if it's just the digital ones. It's insane how heavy I went in on the Switch library.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That quote isn't exactly saying what you're saying it said

Saying the have a light second half of 2023 isn't saying they have absolutely nothing coming after Zelda until the Switch 2

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
IGN "confirms" it? Pretty sure only Nintendo can confirm this and otherwise it's still just a rumor lol

Not saying it's not true, but I just hate when people say a rumor is confirmed by another person saying the rumor. For all we know, they have the same bad source 🤷‍♂️

Dec 18, 2017
Could it also mean that Metroid is dead?

We all want MP4 but I feel like Reggie was still in the game when Nintendo last acknowledged it's existence.

Could be wrong, anyone?

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
That quote isn't exactly saying what you're saying it said

Saying the have a light second half of 2023 isn't saying they have absolutely nothing coming after Zelda until the Switch 2

The title says "no heavy hitters", which is accurate, games will still release but nothing big like Mario, etc

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Sure....As long as you don't put it next to Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Pokemon, etc.
I mean, you could put any Zelda before BotW next to BotW and it wouldn't be a heavy hitter. We went more than a decade without an all-time bestseller-caliber Zelda game after Twilight Princess.

Anything can happen if they get the right gameplay formula.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This likely due to the fact that game production from major first party development groups has all shifted to Switch 2.

But that also means that we're not getting Switch 2 until spring 2024 at the earliest. More likely closer to holiday 2024 or spring 2025.

I see Switch 2 launching with a brand new 3D Mario on day one, with Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Kart X being launch window games.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The title says "no heavy hitters", which is accurate, games will still release but nothing big like Mario, etc
The article in the OP only mentions the second half of 2023 was too light to justify the event space

Nintendo opted not to take part in the event due to a light second half release schedule not justifying the event space
It doesn't say anything else about Nintendo

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Spring 2024 seems likely (like the OG Switch). Also I think it's safe to assume the rumors mean Nintendo won't have anything on the level of Zelda and Pokemon until then, not that they wont release any new games a all.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I mean, you could put any Zelda before BotW next to BotW and it wouldn't be a heavy hitter.

Anything can happen if they get the right gameplay formula.
This. Nintendo has made "non heavy hitters" into heavy hitters with the Switch. If Metroid Prime 4K is a Switch 2 launch title, I think it would do great. Might as well delay Pikmin 4 and make it "Pikmin 4K". 👀

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Yeaaaah, the fact that Pikmin 4 was a mid-Direct reveal and not a "one more thing" bit last time + us not getting any other smaller Nintendo published titles announced outside of Kirby Deluxe gave me this vibe. Man, that Farming + Square Enix Direct haunts me.

Honestly makes me wonder how the coming year is going to pan out. Can't think of many "small enough to not be considered big hitters" series that could release this year. I'm definitely thinking this will be a year of remasters/remakes with stuff like Advance Wars and Metroid Prime.

I wonder what this means for fe4 remake

The fact that Fire Emblem Engage's developer files have it as FE19 rather than 18 means it was probably intended to release before Engage, but now it makes me wonder what they're doing with it that would constitute the delay.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
The article in the OP only mentions the second half of 2023 was too light to justify the event space

It doesn't say anything else about Nintendo

And VGC is saying, " because it feels it has fewer major releases than usual ready to show and which would justify significant event space." which goes with what Chirs was saying.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt matter that much to me, as Engage and botw2 will be enough for major releases this year imo, with some small titles sprinkles (and Advance Wars)

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
2024 is less than a year away and we're expecting ninty to announce ----> and release a system in that time?

waiting-hurry.gif

Oct 27, 2017
This likely due to the fact that game production from major first party development groups has all shifted to Switch 2.

But that also means that we're not getting Switch 2 until spring 2024 at the earliest. More likely closer to holiday 2024 or spring 2025.

I see Switch 2 launching with a brand new 3D Mario on day one, with Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Kart X being launch window games.
I have absolutely no idea how you even extrapolated "No heavy hitters in 2023" into "We're not getting Switch 2 till spring 2025", 2 years later

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
2024 is less than a year away and we're expecting ninty to announce ----> and release a system in that time?

waiting-hurry.gif
I suspect the marketing campaign to be pretty short for Switch 2. I don't expect it be a revolutionary new device, rather just an incremental upgrade. There is no need to have a massive marketing cycle IMO. Just have the powerful system and games to go with it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I have absolutely no idea how you even extrapolated "No heavy hitters in 2023" into "We're not getting Switch 2 till spring 2025", 2 years later

Well, we're getting a heavy hitter in a few months. The report was that Nintendo will have a "light" release schedule in the 2H of 2023.

But that prediction is based more on Nate's predictions and Nikkei's forecast for when Nintendo will release their next hardware, both of which predict holiday 2024 at the earliest.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Going by what Andy & Chris said, that's likely exactly what this means……for 2024 in general. Hard to say when in 2024 the Switch 2 will drop, though.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Pro back on the menu. I truly want the next Nintendo console to not be a Switch for the meltdowns.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Probably BotW scenario. It'll be a launch title for Switch 2 but be cross-gen.
Wouldn't be surprised if they just hold it for their next system. Maybe not as an exclusive, but something to release as a launch title for it, with a Switch version also coming out the same day.
Like I said before, Metroid isn't big enough to headline the launch of a new system. Mario would be a better fit for that spot, with MP4 being launch window.