groovyalex391

May 7, 2020
I haven't played all of these titles but tbh none of the ones I've played there that scored a 90 seem out of place.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Of the ones I've played, Uncharted 4 feels like a mid 80s title and Metal Gear Solid V seems more like a high 80s to me.
Death Stranding was this gen's 5 star Kojima game, I think reviewers goofed a bit here.

Everything else makes sense as a 90+ for me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, UC4 scored higher than both UC: TLL and H:ZD? :O Madness.

The Witcher 3 deserves being there, definitely. One of the best games I've ever played.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The ones I've played have all deserved those scores and the ones I haven't are in genres that are not my cup of tea, but are probably also very good.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I am shockingly surprised that I'm fine with all of these. All are legit very good games. But if I had to pick I guess Uncharted 4 & Animal Crossing NH I would remove

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Can't argue seriously with most of them -- like, I might give a few (RE2, Animal Crossing, Sekiro, off the top of my head) an 8.5 instead of a 9, but that's nothing to get worked up over.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think Overwatch's full price plus lootboxes would lower its score if it were released now. We just didn't see the insidious nature of it at its release. Still consider it a good game, but it has an unhealthy business model that should not be rewarded.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
played most of those, id say persona 5, overwatch and inside shouldnt be there, but not by a lot.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Hollow Knight. That's an easy 75. Most overrated game of the gen.
thats a uhh hot take right outta the gate. Even if its not a 90+ game, surely its better then 'average' especially considering its price point.

edit: actually impressed to see celeste represented here. absolutely deserved, fantastic game.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Smash Bros Ultimate. I don't mind the losses from previous games and the gameplay is good but it has the most atrocious online of any game that I've ever played. One of the main modes being awful should knock it in my mind.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Haven't played all of these but some are questionably high.

RDR2
Bayonetta 2 (Inferior to the first game )
Witcher 3 (Bad combat ruins it)
Animal Crossing
SSB Ultimate (Not as good as Melee)
Uncharted 4
God of War

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With the 15 games I've played, I have no issues.

Deleted member 73264

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 28, 2020
Personally, I would leave off:

Red Dead Redemption 2
The Last Of Us 2
God of War
Bloodborne
Sekiro

I'm sure everyone will agree with me.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Mario Odyssey is one of the most overrated video games of all time.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Those are all great game. Some that definitely aren't for me, but I'm not about to make a case against them

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Of the ones on that list I've played, I think they all deserve their spot.

MGSV is maaaaybe the closest I'd come to knocking off, but even then it's largely story/narrative direction - the gameplay is still top-notch, and can carry it most, if not all the way, through.

Uncharted 4 could possibly be a little repetiitve/not distinguish itself from its predecessors as much, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

BOTW I disagree with (weapon durability, lack of enemy variety, and micro-managing other aspects really turned me off), but that can of worms has already been discussed to death, lol.

(Not being a racing fan, I'm somewhat curious about Forza being up there twice, but I'll defer to those with more experience)

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
Maybe Overwatch?
I had lots of fun with it, but once the fun wore off I knew I'd never be touching it again

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Every game there deserves the scores it got because thats how the critics felt about it

As for all the games I've played on that list, I definitely would rate them 9 or higher

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Honestly? I can't really speak that ill of any of them. A few I didn't love, but I genuinely can't find any that are horrifically misplaced.

I do wonder if Dreams has cultivated the community neccessary to make a creation-driven game like that thrive (it seems like the discussion has been quiet) - but the time I spent with the creator in the beta was impressive enough that I believe it as a 90.

Return of the Obra Dinn needs a pretty huge UI overhaul though. Beautiful game, but just such a chore to get anything done.

Oct 27, 2017
Memphis, TN
This just made me realize how disconnected I am from mainstream gaming these days because I have played 2 of these games. HL:A and MGSV. HL:A was good. MGSV was good until the part where it got not good. Couldnt tell you re the other ones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I could not get into The Witcher 3 or MGSV, but I've seen enough of those games to believe they deserve to be 90s. All the other games I played on that list absolutely deserve to be there.

Just because a game isn't a 90 for me doesn't mean it isn't a 90. Kind of like how I can respect a show like Mad Men and believe it's well written, but I don't like watching it and never made it past Season 1 because I hated all the characters.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
God of War is an 8/10 game for me. Damn solid, but nothing spectacular.

Oh and Uncharted 4...ehhh, that's a tough one. Technical goddamn marvel and fun to play, but that story was...weird.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
INSIDE and Uncharted 4.

INSIDE is a decent enough puzzle platformer, better than average in the genre, I wouldn't say it's anywhere near the best games of the gen though.

Uncharted 4 is so over-rated. Much of the game is boring. I tie it with U1 for worst in the series. Lost Legacy is a better game and doesn't get anywhere near the attention U4 gets.