• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
225390.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda%3A-ocarina-of-time-hd-wallpapers-33786-2476521.jpg

One of the oldest rivalries in all of video gaming is this one—these were two seminal, generation defining games that legions of kids around the world grew up with. In their own way, each of these games would go on to completely redefine our expectations from video gaming. Final Fantasy 7 showed us exactly what kind of storytelling video games could achieve, and the levels of cinematic intensity they could aspire to. It also marks the breakout point for RPGs in the west. Meanwhile, Ocarina of Time is the blueprint for almost every 3D video game that has followed since, blazing a trail of 3D game design that every game that has come ever since has been in the shadow of to this day.

Ironically, both games would also becomes shackles around their respective series, with both series trying to recapture that moment of glory they saw with FF7 and OoT respectively in the years that would follow. In fact, it was only recently, with Final Fantasy 15 and Breath of the Wild both categorically trying new directions for their series, that they decided to eschew these respective games' legacies.

But here we are, 20 years later—which of these games, do you think, was better? Which do you like more? And which of them aged better? And also, why?

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 7. Characters with charm and complicated purposes. A classic, intricate story full of character development and world building. No contest.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda game. FF VII isn't even the best PSX FF game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
FF7 aged much better than OOT imo. I can't go back into the original after the 3D remaster.

But, I'm not particularly a FF or Zelda fan, so idk what fans think.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ocaarina has more dynamic gameplay, but FFVII's world and story take you on such a great (as in substantial) adventure that I have to give it to FFVII

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time is my favourite game of all time, so I'm particularly biased towards it, but I do believe it has aged better. The gameplay is still quick and fun, the bosses interesting, and visually it just looks better. Not to discredit FFVII which has some fantastic setpieces with its pre-rendered backgrounds of course. I also appreciate that Ocarina of Time is a simple story of good versus evil.

I do love both games, but as I already said OoT will always be my #1.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Neither game lives up to its legacy and was outdone by games in the series that came before or after... but their impact is undeniable. I'd ultimately have to give it to Ocarina of Time simply because of what it did for 3D action games.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
OoT. I enjoyed FF7, but I thought FF6 was way better. OoT was on another's level.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
OoT is dreadful to play with the 20fps in this day and age. How does it hold up well?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It's FFVII for me, I liked OoT but got bored on the second temple when Link is older and I abandoned it. I didn't like the old design of elemental dungeons in cardinal points, and given way more temples to visit when I finished them sore me out. Same reason why I'm not too fond of FFV either.

Fr1zzank

Nov 20, 2017
Ayyyyyyy, two of the most overrated games in history! While one is now regarded a bit more appropriately in hindsight, the other still has nostalgia convincing people it's greater than it ever was.

I voted for Final Fantasy.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing OoT isn't fun nowadays, not even on 3DS. It's aged badly.

On the other hand FF7 is still fun to play, still has great music, good art direction and tons of content. Being a turned based rpg really paid off. The gameplay hasn't aged while there are tons of better playing games than OoT.

May 1, 2018
OoT honestly bored me. Never been able to finish it despite trying to do so multiple times. Finished FF7 many times though. No contest for me.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 was a really good game and that was a golden era for RPGs (IMO at least) but for me this is not even comparable.

Zelda OOT on release was just mind blowing and so far of anything else out on consoles at that time.

This debate was for console warriors who only had one console.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
OoT and it's not even close. OoT is still one of the best games even if you play it today and don't tell me I speak based on nostalgia because I first played both of them only a few years ago.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
im the real winner who loves both.

Now FFVII is coming to switch. Put Ocarina on it too. Then it will become the Best Console ever

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im the real winner who loves both.

Now FFVII is coming to switch. Put Ocarina on it too. Then it will become the Best Console ever
I love them both too lol. I actually did not like either much when I first played them, but in the years since, and upon replays, I have come to appreciate them both a lot more. They're fantastic games.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Having played them both for the first time in the Wii/PS3 era, OoT aged a lot more gracefully.

I found FF7 to be quite an ugly game, it doesn't explain its systems properly, and the poor translation can make certain parts of the plot more confusing than they should have been.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game ever and I've always preferred ALTTP and Link's Awakening to OoT.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I was a Nintendo fanboy in those days, and Ocarina was my GOAT. Later I borrowed a PS to play FF7 as a FF fan from FF6. I later bought a used PS and went on to gobble up almost every single Squaresoft game on PS. FF7 was the game that turned me multiplatform, and I havent looked back.

Ocarina has since been dethroned by BotW. But FF7 is still the pinnacle of FF in many ways. Also FF7 is the game that ripped the 3rd party crown from Nintendo and never gave it back.

FF7

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love them both. Anyone shitting on one to build up the other can go piss up a rope.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
They both did amazing things but I skew towards valuing storytelling and FF7 really tried to push games to be a contender in that space so I will always respect it so much more for that. All of FF7's main characters are immortal to me where as I can recall Shiek and Ganondorf doing some kinda cool things here and there.

FF7 aged better to me, I love going back and finding items or dialogue I missed after several playthroughs, materia combos I never tried and optimizing my strategies in battle. In OoT everything there is to do I've done in one run and it was amazing but I value replaying games a lot. It's ost also destroys OoT's.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite FF from the PS1 era but it wasn't on the same level as other PS1 RPGs like Xenogears or Suikoden 2, for me at least. Though i can't deny what FFVII did for the JRPG genre, bringing it into the mainstream.

Ocarina of Time on the other hand is my favorite N64 game, closely followed by Majoras Mask, and one of the best games of all time. It was the reason i bought an N64 to begin with. It featured innovations like Z targeting, and its auto jump feature felt intuitive from the start. Exploring Hyrule in 3D was one of the most magical experiences i have had. Playing on your Ocarina to influence the world around you is still the best "gimmick" of any Zelda game. I replayed it many times and it still holds up today. So yeah, OoT wins this.