Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
$2,399 base model

• 2.6GHz 6-core 9th gen Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 4.5 GHz)
  • 16GB of 2666MHz DDR4
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 512GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
$2,799 base model

• 2.3GHz 8-core 9th gen Intel Core i9 processor (Turbo Boost up to 4.8 GHz)
  • 16GB of 2666MHz DDR4
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 1TB PCIe-based onboard SSD
All models

• 16.0-inch Retina display, 3072x1920, 226ppi, 500 nits, P3 wide color, True Tone Technology
  • Dimensions: 0.64 inch X 14.09 inches X 9.68 inches, 4.3 pounds
  • 100-watt-hour battery, rated to 11 hours of "wireless web"
  • 96W USB-C charger
  • 6-speaker stereo system with Dolby Atmos
  • "Studio-quality" 3-microphone array
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 4 x Thunderbolt 3 ports, Headphone jack
  • Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Force Touch trackpad
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth 5.0
Configurable with

• Up to 64GB RAM
  • Up to 8TB storage
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
Available now. What a beauty.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
No 10th gen processor or 10-bit screen makes it easy to hold on to my 2016 15" MBP for another 6 months. Also disappointing that the resolution wasn't bumped up to a 4K equivalent, but I can live with that. Will still be an improvement over the 900p realestate of the previous generations.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally a pretty good gpu in a MacBook too. Navi cards that perform around gtx 1650 or better supposedly.

still pretty piss poor for $2400 though

but yeah with no 10th gen here seems like you may as well wait until a refreshed model comes next spring.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a home run. They nailed everything. Screen size, thermals, keyboard, specs, price... knocked it out of the park!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thank god my 2013 MBPr is still holding strong!

I really shouldn't be blowing 3k on a new laptop while I renovate my house, but this looks excellent.

Hopefully WiFi 6 next year and then my laptop can safely kick the bucket.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I've probably bought a new MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air every single year since 2014.

I have not been satisfied by a single Mac notebook in any of those years, because Apple's chosen a series of trade-offs that either can't or don't respect my particular needs & interests.

I think my most recent 15" MacBook was the 2017 refresh, but that was way too large and way too heavy for me to actually take with me around the house, much less in my bag (I wound up taking my iPad Pro everywhere instead).

I'd be all about a 14" MacBook Pro with the same sort of design iteration if it wasn't more than 10% heavier than the 3lb 13", but I'm honestly willing to just hold onto my 2019 13" for another 18 months as I hold out hope for an ARM MacBook MacBook that's basically an clamshell iPad Pro—that's probably what I really want, even as a developer

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Obviously this is horribly expensive, but as someone who's looking to replace a 2015 MBP, this is the first thing Apple have put out that seems viable. The base spec would do me just fine, and the keyboard moving away from butterfly switches is great news.

On the other hand, there's that price. Yes, it's competitive when you benchmark it in Apple world, but it's also likely to be a straight swap of the dollar sign for a pound sign, and two and a half grand is A LOT of money for a computer.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"100-watt-hour battery, rated to 11 hours of "wireless web"

Damn, 11 hours is a huge improvement over the 3.5-4 hours on the 15" model, at least, my 2017 15" model.

I'm out of the market on expensive macbooks though, very disappointed with my 2017 15" MBP w/ TouchBar. it's a good computer for the most part, but the amount of problems with it for a computer that cost... $2700, $2800 or w/e is ridiculous. And Apple's stubborn resistence to recognizing the problems with this over the years has really turned me off.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm honestly willing to just hold onto my 2019 13" for another 18 months as I hold out hope for an ARM MacBook MacBook that's basically an clamshell iPad Pro—that's probably what I really want, even as a developer
Realistically, this is also what I want. If I didn't need to very occasionally use Photoshop and Illustrator, I reckon I could probably do 99% of my work on iPad OS today. Everything else I use is either a web service or a pure text local environment. I also travel a fair bit and present / moderate events a lot, and an iPad Pro would be a far better thing to have on-stage than a fully-fledged laptop.

I'm a writer rather than a developer, just FYI.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is 10th gen intel even going to bring anything meaningful to the table in the 45w tdp area

last i heard only the super low power 15w sort of chips are even going to 10nm for 10th gen

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
So, same base price as the 15" except:

15.4" -> 16" display
256GB -> 512GB SSD
Butterfly -> Scissor switch keyboard
Vega -> Navi GPU
83.6Wh -> 100Wh battery

And better speakers and cooling. Not a bad bump.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
The lack of a proper HDMI port and a single USB-A is still painful on this machine, and the camera remains embarrassing.

But it's the first time since 2015 that Apple's released a laptop that isn't actively worse than the one it replaces, so that's no small thing.

And can everyone who's defended the butterfly keyboard since the 12" Macbook shipped finally admit it was garbage?

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
And can everyone who's defended the butterfly keyboard since the 12" Macbook shipped finally admit it was garbage?
I will miss it. I genuinely love it. Perfect clickiness and travel. Full disclosure I had mine replaced ones but they did it within a few hours now I have the latest gen.
(I actually preferred the first gen because it was even clickier haha)

The arrow keys however, were dogshit and are much better now that it's an upside down T again.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of a proper HDMI port and a single USB-A is still painful on this machine, and the camera remains embarrassing.

But it's the first time since 2015 that Apple's released a laptop that isn't actively worse than the one it replaces, so that's no small thing.

I really liked it.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
An important thing to note:

XUuDI3X.png

You don't actually get more screen real estate to work with compared to the 15.4". Still maxes out at 1920x1200 scaled.

It felt like typing on the surface of a wooden table.

I've worked with mechanical and Mac/Macbook scissor switch keyboards my entire life, and everything on paper said I should have hated the butterfly switch and low travel, but it just really clicked with me for whatever reason. Can't really explain it.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I've worked with mechanical and Mac/Macbook scissor switch keyboards my entire life, and everything on paper said I should have hated the butterfly switch and low travel, but it just really clicked with me for whatever reason. Can't really explain it.
I have a friend who feels the same as you. He's been a long-time Mac user and, while he's an executive now, he still spends a fair bit of time actually writing and even coding. He says the low travel helps him type faster, so I guess maybe there are two kinds of touch typists: ones like me who absolutely need the tactile feedback of key travel, and ones like him who just fly through without actually registering what their fingers are doing.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Imagine spending $2800 on a laptop with Intel graphics as your only option.