Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a VIOTEK GFV27DAB 27", it's not the best in the world but at least when I'm playing on PC it's pretty good (even if it is a VA panel).

But I've been having a really odd problem. Namely when I go to stream, I play my PS5 from said monitor due to it being in the best place but it has some problems...

Namely for some reason it just doesn't like to play 120hz content on PS5. Now as a reminder, HDMI 2.0 supports 1080/120hz, and in very rare cases the monitor has properly displayed this yet more often then not it just doesn't.

At first I though it was the capture card but removing that from the equation didn't resolve it. I thought it could be the splitter, but that didn't resolve it. And going directly into the monitor from the PS5... also doesn't resolve it. It will still load up games like Cold War and Warzone without 120 fps. I rebooted the monitor, reset it's settings, tested the PS5 when the PC is not plugged into the monitor as well... and it didn't resolve it.

So I'm just not sure if there is something special I need to do with the monitor, should I look to replace it? (With an IPS Display) Is it something with the PS5?

It should also be noted that when my PS5 is going through it's splitters and such to my TV, this isn't an issue and the PS5 works as intended.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Have you connected your PC via HDMI to check if it supports high refresh rates over that connection?
Sometimes monitors only support that via DisplayPort.
Or the HDMI port might only support RGB, while the PS5 forces 120Hz to use YCC.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Have you connected your PC via HDMI to check if it supports high refresh rates over that connection?
Sometimes monitors only support that via DisplayPort.
Or the HDMI port might only support RGB, while the PS5 forces 120Hz to use YCC.

I can confirm that when I plug my PC into the HDMI port it can go up to 144hz.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
How do I check that?
As for 120hz, the monitor can also select that as well.
In the NVIDIA control panel, the option is below the resolution selection - though I just realized that there may not be a YCC 422 option. I only get 444/420 options.
nvidia-ycc-rbjis.png

But if either of the YCC options are available/working, that should eliminate the possibility that the monitor only supports RGB (since the PS5 does not currently support 120Hz in RGB).

As for the EDID issue: on PC, if a display reports that it can support 144Hz, it's probably also assumed that 120Hz would work.
But if 120Hz is not explicitly advertised as a supported resolution in the EDID, a console may not give you the option.

I remember there being a similar issue with televisions whose EDID only reported support for 1080p60, but would work at 1080p120 via a PC.
I don't think there was any way to make it work other than adding an HDFury device between the console and display to generate a custom EDID that advertised 1080p120 support.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
In the NVIDIA control panel, the option is below the resolution selection - though I just realized that there may not be a YCC 422 option. I only get 444/420 options.
nvidia-ycc-rbjis.png

But if either of the YCC options are available/working, that should eliminate the possibility that the monitor only supports RGB (since the PS5 does not currently support 120Hz in RGB).

As for the EDID issue: on PC, if a display reports that it can support 144Hz, it's probably also assumed that 120Hz would work.
But if 120Hz is not explicitly advertised as a supported resolution in the EDID, a console may not give you the option.

I remember there being a similar issue with televisions whose EDID only reported support for 1080p60, but would work at 1080p120 via a PC.
I don't think there was any way to make it work other than adding an HDFury device between the console and display to generate a custom EDID that advertised 1080p120 support.

According to the Control Panel the HDMI port does support YCC 422 and 444.

And for the monitor itself I can set it at 119.989hz.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) is an EDID editor that focuses on custom resolutions. CRU shows you how the monitor defines resolutions and other capabilities and gives you the power to change it. Add

I think CRU actually lists what's in the EDID - which is not always the same as what you can select on a PC.
Try checking to see if it lists 1080p120 there, too (and cancel out of all the options to make sure you don't change anything).
cru-resolutions-8hj41.png

If it still lists 1080p120 there, I have no idea why the PS5 isn't making it available.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) is an EDID editor that focuses on custom resolutions. CRU shows you how the monitor defines resolutions and other capabilities and gives you the power to change it. Add

I think CRU actually lists what's in the EDID - which is not always the same as what you can select on a PC.
Try checking to see if it lists 1080p120 there, too (and cancel out of all the options to make sure you don't change anything).
cru-resolutions-8hj41.png

If it still lists 1080p120 there, I have no idea why the PS5 isn't making it available.

It wasn't there by default. But I was able to add it. (Unsure if that does anything tho)

But here is something W I L D. I've discovered and able to replicate 3 times.

If I have my PS5 on 2160p and swap over to the monitor (usually fails quite a few times) it will eventually show and say: "Out of Range", I then change the PS5 setting to 1080p. At this point all of the colors are like super washed out and weird looking- BUT when I load up Warzone, Cold War, Nioh 2... the colors go back to normal and the games play at 120hz.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't there by default. But I was able to add it. (Unsure if that does anything tho)
I think CRU modifies the computer side of things so that the PC makes it available.
I don't think there's an easy way (if any) to overwrite the display's EDID information.

That's why there is hardware like the HDFury devices, which can sit between the console and display to handle EDID management. I think you'd need a Dr. HDMI 4K, which is $120.

But here is something W I L D. I've discovered and able to replicate 3 times.

If I have my PS5 on 2160p and swap over to the monitor (usually fails quite a few times) it will eventually show and say: "Out of Range", I then change the PS5 setting to 1080p. At this point all of the colors are like super washed out and weird looking- BUT when I load up Warzone, Cold War, Nioh 2... the colors go back to normal and the games play at 120hz.
Huh, I guess the system is getting confused because of the switching involved.

PS5 can display 1080p120hz even on HDMI 1.4 monitors, just fyi.
Yes, but only if it's advertised as a supported resolution in the EDID.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think CRU modifies the computer side of things so that the PC makes it available.
I don't think there's an easy way (if any) to overwrite the display's EDID information.

That's why there is hardware like the HDFury devices, which can sit between the console and display to handle EDID management. I think you'd need a Dr. HDMI 4K, which is $120.

Huh, I guess the system is getting confused because of the switching involved.

Ah, I see.

But yeah this is so weird. Like technically it's a solution, it works, it's repeatable but god it's annoying.

Also if I don't change it to 1080p and play a game, it will set the resolution to 1080p and it will also do 120hz however the colors will continue to be messed up. You have to set 1080p before loading the game so the colors are normal.

Technology.