Oct 25, 2017
Hello,

So I had a monitor lined up to buy for PC Gaming and it's 1440p which seems like a good resolution for price point and for the bigger size of 27 inches. Even though it's mainly for PC, I was hoping to use a docked Nintendo Switch on it as well. I was ready to pull the trigger except a couple people mentioned having that resolution and saying the Switch looked blurry and bad on it so I really wanted to see if anyone here has tried this. The Switch looks great on my 4K television so I was surprised to read that it might not at 1440p but some people thought it could be related to 1080p not scaling properly to 1440p.
I'm not sure if it matters but the monitor I was looking at is ASUS TUF VG27AQ.

So has anyone tried using a Switch on a 1440p monitor? How did it look? Or does someone with more technical knowledge than me have any advice about this? It's actually important to me that whatever PC monitor I purchase also looks good with the Switch.

Thank you for any advice!

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really directly help you with that, but I heard something similar when I bought mine for PC but to be used with the PS4 (and now PS5).
And I sincerely never noticed any weirdness with the picture.

Still, different hardware, but I wanted to share my experience with you.

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
Grab an mclassic pro. I have a dock connected to my 1440p monitor, and the mclassic makes a huge difference as it upscales and outputs 1440p.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So has anyone tried using a Switch on a 1440p monitor? How did it look? Or does someone with more technical knowledge than me have any advice about this? It's actually important to me that whatever PC monitor I purchase also looks good with the Switch.
More info corroborated from others:

Does 1080p content scale well on a 1440p monitor ?

Hey guys, Does a 1080p output (including games that run on 1080p, consoles etc) have some short of blurriness when shown on a 1440p monitor at full screen ? Has anyone tried this and can confirm a 1440p monitor is not worth it unless you run everything at native resolution or is it theoretical...

In short, 1080p doesn't scale well if upscaled to 1440p.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Look into getting the mclassic. It upscales to 1440p and has some other benefits, there are vids of it.

I have a 1440p monitor and the mclassic, but I haven't tried it yet.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
1080 x 2 = 2160 (4K). The pixels are scaling evenly, so the image stays sharp. Scaling to an interim resolution like 1440p will make it look blurry as the system tries to interpolate one pixel across one and a half pixels instead of two.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same monitor I have and I used my Switch on it for a few weeks; only reason I stopped was because I was doing my home workouts in my bedroom and apparently running in place in ring fit caused some light fixtures in the living room beneath me to start jumping violently, so I moved it all back to my basement.

It admittedly did look like vaseline was smeared over the screen at first, but honestly the image quality wasn't that bad. I could play Stardew Valley and Need For Speed no problem on it. If you plan to stick with it for the long term, it may be a worthwhile investment to get the mClassic, but otherwise it's decent enough

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando

One more vid. The real benefit of using mClassic is when on dynamic res games or games that output closer to 720p. Set the system to 720p and let the mClassic upscale to 1440p.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Grab an mclassic pro. I have a dock connected to my 1440p monitor, and the mclassic makes a huge difference as it upscaled and outputs 1440p.
I can attest to this. When I had my Switch hooked up to my LG 27GL850-B and mClassic, it looked amazing upscaled to 1440p. Just make sure you set your Nintendo Switch to 720p so the mClassic does the upscaling / processing exclusively.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Look into getting the mclassic. It upscales to 1440p and has some other benefits, there are vids of it.

I have a 1440p monitor and the mclassic, but I haven't tried it yet.

I'd echo this.

While I don't have it hooked up to a monitor any more, I've tried using the Switch on my 1440p monitor, and it didn't look too great initially. I tried it again when I got the mClassic and it was a pretty big improvement.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can imagine that 720p scales better to 1440p, because that would be Integer scaling at best.
But every monitor and TV is different with their scalers and filters used to make a picture look better or worse.
I ran my Switch through my Magewell Capturecard and play via OBS basically but even then it looks better on
my old LG TV thanks to whatever they use.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the replies... this makes my decision difficult. A 4K monitor is way too expensive but 27 inches seems too large for 1080p for the PC gaming.. maybe this mclassic thing is the way to go. So everyone thinks that does a good job? I've never heard of it but will research later.

Oct 27, 2017
You could try just setting your Switch to 720p and seeing if the monitor is better at upscalling that. 720 is an integer scale to 1440, so your monitor might handle it better. If it looks fine to you than there's no need to spend extra on anything else.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently playing on my Gigabyte g27qc (27 inch, 1440p) monitor, and it just works? I don't know how tolerant are you in noticing those pixels, but this looks playable to me.

Edit: Just checked, Animal Crossing looks mighty fine.

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Please keep in mind that not every monitor gives you the option of integer scaling. In fact, many don't.

PC gamers had to beg AMD and Nvidia for a software solution for years.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
If the monitor has integer scaling you could do a perfect 4x scale using the Switch's 720p output.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I've played mine on my 1440p 27" rog swift monitor using an mclassic dongle and it looked very nice.

Edit: the mclassic effect is subtle, but noticeable. If you dislike jaggers, then it definitely does a job. As has been mentioned, it may help in providing a better image when upscaling to 1440p.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I've been using a Gigabyte M27Q.
Honestly, if it's like my monitor where it seems to try to integer scale 720p, you'll just want to set your Switch to 720p.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I have a 1440p G-Sync (Dell S2716DG) it's several years old but it has no issues displaying my Switch at 1080p.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Checked MH rise demo and 3D world, looks also mighty fine.

Switch main Menu is blurry though, maybe because it is on 720p.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have an ASUS VG27AQ and occasionally have my switch docked to it.
Looks pretty good

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
I can attest to this. When I had my Switch hooked up to my LG 27GL850-B and mClassic, it looked amazing upscaled to 1440p. Just make sure you set your Nintendo Switch to 720p so the mClassic does the upscaling / processing exclusively.
I find that for games which output over 720p, I prefer to keep the switch's output resolution to 1080p. The extra detail is nice.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I find that for games which output over 720p, I prefer to keep the switch's output resolution to 1080p. The extra detail is nice.
Usually you would want to set it to 1080p, but we are specifically talking about using the mClassic with the Switch, which upscales the Switch resolution to 1440p, which you want your Switch set at 720p so the mClassic does the upscaling and not the Switch.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Usually you would want to set it to 1080p, but we are specifically talking about using the mClassic with the Switch, which upscales the Switch resolution to 1440p, which you want your Switch set at 720p so the mClassic does the upscaling and not the Switch.

But if I were to try the switch without the mClassic first, 1080p might be better?

I guess I can try both and see.. and if neither look good, go buy the mClassic.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for the mClassic. I've been using it with my WiiU as well, makes everything look great on my 1440p monitor.