Oct 26, 2017
"These figures, engraved together to depict a narrative, are the first known examples of such a holistic scene," explained Eylem Özdoğan, author of the paper and archaeologist at Istanbul University, in a statement. "This was a picture of the stories that formed the ideology of the people of that period."

Dating to the 9th millennium BCE, the site in southeastern Turkey is located under a present-day village in Şanlıurfa Province. Excavations beginning in 2021 revealed the area was inhabited with a Neolithic population that was transitioning from being mobile hunter-gatherers to a more sedentary, farming lifestyle with long-term settlements throughout the region.

"The process of Neolithisation brought with it substantial changes to the cycle of daily life, subsistence strategies and technology, but perhaps most significantly to social relations, culminating in a redefinition of humanity's place in the world," the paper explains. "The development of collective activities and rituals, and the construction of communal buildings with strong symbolic elements, was instrumental in advancing this new way of life."

While older examples of narrative art have been identified—among them, the nearly 17,000-year-old cave paintings at Lascaux and a roughly 44,000-year-old cave panel on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi—these are the first known to show a progressing narrative structure.

It's of a man holding his penis and flanked by leopards while another guy fights against a bull.
OTd9Xyc.jpg

I guess he knew he was bout to die so he decided to rub it out one last time. RIP ancient warrior.

Article here

Womble

Banned
Apr 15, 2022
I wonder why ancient civilizations had a thing for always having their dicks out in their art work.

Did everyone back in the day just walk around slapping their dicks around or something?

The Albatross

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty awesome. Love that the post is tagged as "possibly NSFW" because of some stone dude holding his stone penis. My boss walks by "HEY YOU CANT LOOK AT THAT HERE"

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ashamed to admit that for at least 3 seconds I was wondering how they carved it into a Turkey and preserved it, and why a Turkey, before my brain decided to cooperate.

I can see why the story ends there though. Doing that at a tiger is a sure fire way to see yourself out of this realm

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It really just makes you realize that public restrooms are just normal behavior for humans and has been for thousands of years.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Thinking about the kind of job where you can be on a video game forum AS LONG AS YOU DON'T LOOK AT AN ANCIENT CARVING OF A MAN HOLDING HIS PENIS.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
It really just makes you realize that public restrooms are just normal behavior for humans and has been for thousands of years.
Yep.

Not quite the same as a public restroom, but the same kind of energy, here's some graffiti found in Pharaoh Hatshepsut's mortuary temple.

gz43kq5msnv61.jpg

Ancient Egypt's equivalent of gossip. Hatshepsut and her architect and advisor Senenmut were thought to be on close terms...

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this is history, and given it's significance, but knowing what it depicts… just wow 🤣🤣🤣

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the title said 11,000 year old nativity scene and I gotta be honest, that fucked me up more than prehistoric wanker art.

Thinking about the kind of job where you can be on a video game forum AS LONG AS YOU DON'T LOOK AT AN ANCIENT CARVING OF A MAN HOLDING HIS PENIS.

SMrLolN.gif

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why ancient civilizations had a thing for always having their dicks out in their art work.

Did everyone back in the day just walk around slapping their dicks around or something?
Fertility is/was a big deal you don't think dogs if they could draw would be drawing dog humping?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Why is that guy holding his dick in the corner instead of helping his buddy fend off the army of crazy leopards?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this is history, and given it's significance, but knowing what it depicts… just wow 🤣🤣🤣

Technically, it's pre-history! No writing and all

Why is that guy holding his dick in the corner instead of helping his buddy fend off the army of crazy leopards?

'Don't be like Geoff, who didn't guard his dick, be like Richard, who did'

Or something thereabouts. Maybe. That there's a decided contrast is what suggests the images are meant to be directly understood in sequence with one another, whether for contrast of events or a change in circumstance as told by a narrative that, of course, no longer exists and is up to total speculation, given the largely arbitrary assignment of cultural values and the meaning of symbols therein. This is as compared to say, cave paintings that predate this, where it's a lot less clear on what, if any, sequence there would be intended, so even if they could have been used to tell a narrative, we can't see that they're meant for such, as opposed to the likelihood in this instance

The direct article, for any curious:
www.cambridge.org

The Sayburç reliefs: a narrative scene from the Neolithic | Antiquity | Cambridge Core

The Sayburç reliefs: a narrative scene from the Neolithic - Volume 96 Issue 390

Though it mostly summarises the finds of the site, since actually characterising them beyond that is, as mentioned, kinda difficult