nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Name of all the chapters at the link

Not just Hashino interviews like the quoted text says

https://personacentral.com/metaphor-development-book/
  • Page Count: 544
This is never getting translated is it?

Writer Sayakawa will be releasing a book on the seven year development of Metaphor: ReFantazio, through a series of interviews conducted with game director Katsura Hashino throughout the game's development.

The book will be published in Japan on December 19, 2024.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Remember when in 2016 we just got these concept art pieces and then nothing for years and years

And now it's here

Project-Re-Fantasy-01512.jpg

Re-Fantasy-2.jpg

zp-60759_Project-Re-Fantasy_2016_12-23-16_001.jpg

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Hulkenberg's design changes were that radical though.
Soejima adjusted her looks but her essence is still the same.

GRxi7_xbYAAtb4t.jpg
i dont understand why people are salty about og hulkenberg. its mostly the same design but replaced the medieval armor with something more stylized while keeping the shoulder concept

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
i dont understand why people are salty about og hulkenberg. its mostly the same design but replaced the medieval armor with something more stylized while keeping the shoulder concept
People can't understand that games change over development and it was concept art. Key word being concept. The game was in development for about eight years, I am not surprised things changed, including character design. I loved the original design, but the Hulkenberg we got in the final game is amazing.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to hear when they added in the Bosch inspired enemy designs. Nothing in that original art makes me think of anything that abstract.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when in 2016 we just got these concept art pieces and then nothing for years and years

And now it's here

Project-Re-Fantasy-01512.jpg

Re-Fantasy-2.jpg

zp-60759_Project-Re-Fantasy_2016_12-23-16_001.jpg

Stylistically, you can see how they went from the concept art to the final game here. Obviously, the final game is different. But for something that was in development seven years, you can see where they started and ended up at.

It'd be cool if this book had enough art concepts to show the middle portion too. And also be cool if it ever got officially translated.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I don't think Hulkenberg's design changes were that radical though.
Soejima adjusted her looks but her essence is still the same.

GRxi7_xbYAAtb4t.jpg
I mean it's a very different design but that's okay, I like the new one too

Her OG look gets a nod in the demo flashback. Dunno if this game has outfits but it'd be cool if you could unlock that look for her in-game

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's a very different design but that's okay, I like the new one too

Her OG look gets a nod in the demo flashback. Dunno if this game has outfits but it'd be cool if you could unlock that look for her in-game
Game has changable outfits, but it seems to only be dlc unlockables from persona and etrian odyssey games.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
The only way to not call this a radical change is by implying that all red haired girls look the same.

Completely different design.

I just don't expect early concept art to be 1:1 with final design especially when Soejima has history of completely redesigning characters.

To me she's still the same character overall, a red haired elf knight with blue eyes. Her young appearance from the flashback even has the metallic headband and it matches the other concept art from 2016.

image.png

image.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
New design is fine, but the one the left has more beautiful hair, AMAZING looking Armour and simpler elf ears. There's less going on than the finished one.
And less is more.
I think they look as visually complex as one another, don't see either having lesss going on. Personally, I think the right side hair is much nicer and more unique, as is the overall look. Hulk's in game outfit is so damn cool.

I do like the left side look, I just think the final design is much more unique and interesting and suits her character more.