• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
To be honest, saying the show is pro-Trump propaganda is to show you didn't even watch it.

A pro-Trump show would never suggest a red-blooded working man was wrong for thinking it was anyone but his daughter's decision on what to do with her body. A pro-Trump show would not depict a boy who enjoys wearing feminine clothing and makeup being allowed to express himself. A pro-Trump show would not act as if being gay is acceptable, or a thing to even mention if no one brought up being gay first. A pro-Trump show would not show his supporter as being just as unreasonable as the Hillary supporter. A pro-Trump show wouldn't avoid mentioning either Hillary or Trump by name, yet namedrop Jill Stein.

Now is it "BOTH SIDES" centrist propaganda with slightly progressive social views? Perhaps, I'm not sure. But a pro-Trump show it is not. Now, if you want to choose to not watch it due to Barr's views- I can't blame you. There are a number of media I won't touch due to the creators' views and deeds. But let's not say the show itself is irredeemable trash. She's not the only one working on it after all. If she had main say like the past Roseanne, I'd be all on the "don't watch it" wagon, as she is a pretty trash person, but it's clear there is now a lot of sway from the rest of the cast and crew.

The trojan horse theory is an... interesting idea. Hopefully it doesn't backfire if that was the intent.

BlackAdder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite the haters this is great news. I haven't seen the new series yet, but the original show was one of the best depictions of the environment I grew up in. Oh and Roseanne doesn't fucking support genocide and she's not a Nazi.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite the haters this is great news. I haven't seen the new series yet, but the original show was one of the best depictions of the environment I grew up in. Oh and Roseanne doesn't fucking support genocide and she's not a Nazi.
Not a literal nazi. Just a bigot, birther etc, etc etc. It's like when an assault rifle isn't an actual assault rifle, but it's just easier to call it an assault rifle.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People enjoying the show is fine, it's meant to be escapism. Expecting it to deprogram Trump voters is clown shoes

mango.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone name me a pro-Trump sitcom? All I can think is Tim Allen and Seinfeld reruns.

Storm Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quit acting like "this site" is CNN. You're on a public forum primarily for video games.
giphy.gif

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Seinfeld? He's the most PG of the great comics, so while he wouldn't tell you his politics, it's probably Democrat.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
My hot take: Thanks to the show's liberal writers and cast aside from Roseanne, this show might be a great way to sneak tolerance and socially liberal ideas into the homes of Trump supporters who tune in because Roseanne herself supports Trump. If Episode 2 of the new season is indicative of the show's overall quality and messaging, I support this show's continued existence.
Basically this. Roseanne herself is trash, but there's some of the finest actors, writers and producers in that crew. They know what they're doing, and I don't want to see them out of work because of her insanity.

Naked Koopa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought to myself I wouldnt even post here anymore.
but then I watched the first 2 episodes of roseanne and thought...fuck we arent so different, we have to come together and make something happen

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
ABC is going to cancel that show soon; not because it's a bad show, but because Roseanne is almost as fucked up in the head as Trump himself and she can't help herself but make stupid statements.

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those things where I wish I could just feel sad for her, and the delusional Trump supporters. But having these delusions be reinforced and normalized is dangerous, and they are in power. Like, EVERYONE should be calling this shit out. It's not politics. It's full blown conspiracy theory mental illness.

And Trojan horse? Trumpers know queer and black and muslim people exist, it's how they know how to craft their policies. "Exposing" them to characters of those marginalized groups isn't going to do shit to them, except help normalize Trump to the ignorant, like that poor fool with the LGBTQ FOR TRUMP sign. Someone might see that and think 'hey, they are cool with it, so maybe it's not that bad'.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to know the story here.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-roseanne-pose-as-adolf-hitler-photo-shoot/

Also, this hypocritical gem:

I don't give a fuck what people think. I care what people do. I don't care what they think. That's what I'm trying to say. Let's stop holocausts. When I did The Star Spangled Banner — let's care about freedom, instead of symbols of freedom for a fucking change. You know what I mean, I don't know. I'm just really old. When you're post-menopausal, you're just really crazy.
And then proceeded to throw a hissyfit about football players exercising their freedoms by taking a knee in front of a symbol.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Same. Gilbert has taken point on this, and the show's effectively a Trojan Horse.
While I've yet to see these newer episodes, I was hoping this would be the case! Kinda want to go back and reread my post from the thread discussing the family's political slant...

*rummage*

It seems realistic they'd be Trump supporters . . . Hope the children are liberal, anyways; I think it'd offer up a unique angle at least . . . I guess I'm just being hopeful that the show will support liberal ideas through a conservative "filter," so to speak, and that conservative viewers might be open to more leftist principles because of this (sort of like a Trojan horse for liberal ideology teehee)...

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a literal nazi. Just a bigot, birther etc, etc etc. It's like when an assault rifle isn't an actual assault rifle, but it's just easier to call it an assault rifle.
...so it's an entirely incorrect label that you continue to use because it's, what, easier or sounds better? If something isn't an assault rifle you don't call it an assault rifle unless you're too dumb to know the difference. Same with nazis.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
This Trojan horse theory is so unrealistic and stupid someone should tweet it at Roseanne with Qanon in their handle.

No kidding. As someone who was hard R republican for most of my life and most of my family continues to be so, conservatives just don't have meaningful shifts toward liberal policy unless their immediate family is impacted. Even then it's a tossup. A TV show sure as shit isn't going to do it.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Wow, those Roseanne Holocaust quotes.... holy shit.... talk about the extreme polar opposite of Holocaust Denial.

I don't agree that it's a Pro-Centrist show. By its very premise, it's Pro-Trump. It's very low-key, but it's Pro-Trump. It, at least the first episode, turned very real issues revolving around or created by the Trump administration into throwaway jokes. The ending sentimental speech was completely unearned and tacked on as sort of an olive branch to the viewer, and was more a backhanded "you did this to yourself, America/Roseanne was getting through to Liberal Jackie" than Jackie and Roseanne actually talking about why they voted the ways in which they did.

Will it slowly become Centrist? Possibly. Who knows. But Roseanne is way down the Trump Rabbit Hole and I don't see that happening.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
To me any message they attempt to make goes out of the window with someone like Roseanne is behind it.

Oct 30, 2017
No kidding. As someone who was hard R republican for most of my life and most of my family continues to be so, conservatives just don't have meaningful shifts toward liberal policy unless their immediate family is impacted. Even then it's a tossup. A TV show sure as shit isn't going to do it.

I live in one of the most famously Republican areas in the country (though Trump may change that) and my family is mostly Republicans and what I'd call reasonable, educated conservatives. Except one sibling who went from 0 to 100 and spends hours trying to convince us all that Democrats are satanic pedophiles who worship Soros.

Unlike many on this forum, I believe in any number of formerly conservative principles like free trade and free markets. What Roseanne and these new so-called conservatives espouse is pure poison and isn't something you just shrug off as just another opinion.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Really feel like they should wait till week 2 or 3 to commit too anything. Could be a substantial drop off from that very high first week debut.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I doubt it'll make it that far if she keeps up her crazy social media rants. Unless they just dump her and do the show without her.

ABC kept Last Man Standing on for 6 seasons despite the fact that Tim Allen was a right wing nutjob. And this show is WAY more popular.

Anyone who thinks ABC is gonna take a moral stand and cancel their biggest ratings success story in years is deluding themselves. Though they will probably try to get her to delete her twitter.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
ABC kept Last Man Standing on for 6 seasons despite the fact that Tim Allen was a right wing nutjob. And this show is WAY more popular.

Anyone who thinks ABC is gonna take a moral stand and cancel their biggest ratings success story in years is deluding themselves. Though they will probably try to get her to delete her twitter.
I feel like the Twitter thing would come far before any talk of cancellation. That and/or companies pulling their ads.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...so it's an entirely incorrect label that you continue to use because it's, what, easier or sounds better? If something isn't an assault rifle you don't call it an assault rifle unless you're too dumb to know the difference. Same with nazis.
It's close enough for me, and only me. When you insist on dressing up like a nazi and add up all her other shit "opinions" I don't feel bad about not being exact.

I also don't care if a gun is an assault rifle to the tee, if it shoots a ton of bullets, that's close enough for me too.

She sucks as a person and I can't/wont separate her from the show. But I'm just one person so she'LL get her payday and roseanne as a loon will be the new spokesperson for the moderate whites with economic anxiety.

OP
OP
CDX

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Really feel like they should wait till week 2 or 3 to commit too anything. Could be a substantial drop off from that very high first week debut.
These ratings are legit really high. It had 18+ million live and now over 21+ million with only 1 day DVR viewers, and it'll still be adding viewers all this week.

Roseanne could drop like HALF it's total premiere viewers and still be around Will And Grace's premiere numbers from just a few months ago. And Will and Grace's ratings dropped after it's premiere episode too. Will and Grace got like a 3 season commitment right away from NBC with those ratings.

So if that merited Will and Grace 3 seasons on NBC, I'm not seeing anything outlandish about ABC wanting to give a substantially higher rated Roseanne a second season right away.

That much is virtually guaranteed by past trends but you're still likely going to get a solid 10 million viewers on average if the drop off conforms to the average.

Yeah 10 million was like Will and Grace's premiere ratings before it dropped for future episodes.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My hot take: Thanks to the show's liberal writers and cast aside from Roseanne, this show might be a great way to sneak tolerance and socially liberal ideas into the homes of Trump supporters who tune in because Roseanne herself supports Trump. If Episode 2 of the new season is indicative of the show's overall quality and messaging, I support this show's continued existence.
Is Roseanne really a trump supporter? Disnt trump usr to dog on her during the debate days?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Negative racial generalisation.
This whole "this person says bigoted things but I'll support them anyway" seems like something only white people convince themselves to do. It's pretty pathetic but I'm used to it at this point.