• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017

http://deadline.com/2018/03/roseanne-revival-renewed-second-season-abc-season-11-1202356132/

Following the massive ratings for the premiere of the Roseanne revival on ABC, the network has renewed the series for next season, which will be the classic sitcom's 11th overall. Sources say the order is for 13 episodes, up from 9 in the current first installment of the revival.

"We're thrilled that America has welcomed the Conner family back into their homes," said Channing Dungey, president of ABC Entertainment. "The show is as fresh and relevant today as it was when it left the air 21 years ago. We can't wait to see what the 'Roseanne' team has in store for next year."

Following huge Live+same ratings — 18.2 million viewers and a 5.2 rating in adults 18-49, the Roseanne premiere continues to deliver extraordinary numbers. With just one day of Nielsen's delayed viewing counted, the hourlong debut saw its total viewer count grow by a best of season for any premiere telecast of over +3.4 million viewers to a 21.869 million average audience. After the first day of playback, Roseanne shot up to a 6.24 rating in Adults 18-49, adding more than 1.0 rating point and over 20% to its Adult 18-49 Live + Same Day number.

The massive ratings success stunned Hollywood, prompting soul-searching about doing more series that realistically portray the economic problems of working-class families and reflect conservative political views as well as talk about rebooting more beloved sitcoms.

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the first joke I saw from this show was legit

"time to say grace for dinner. ashley do you want to take a knee?"

idk if the daughters name was ashley but as soon as I saw that I was like lmao fuck this old hag

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insert thinly veiled disgust that a country is laughing at this crusty old white lady doing dumb crusty old white lady shit

Deleted member 13037

I'm sure they'll air that black-ish ep about kneeling during the anthem any day now I guess, huh?

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Married With Children needs to come back now more than ever.
See, I THINK we could want that, but then I just imagine how they'll ruin it by having Al whine about players taking knees and then going on about how he never took a knee before scoring four touchdowns in a single game. Then you think about No Ma'am taking on Gamergate members or something and I just get angry the thought ever crossed my mind to begin with.

Oct 25, 2017
This website gets really embarrassing when it comes to this show. So many people haven't watched it, seen the messages it's actually promoting and instead choosing to just throw baby fits.

This is one case where it makes all of us look really bad and no better than the other side. That's right, in this case, we're pretty much feeding both-siders.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This is what you need to know about why the ratings are high:

Both Trump and Roseanne were able to tap into the often overlooked and underserved working-class audience, especially the portion that holds mostly conservative views. Not surprisingly, the top TV markets where Roseanne delivered its highest ratings were in states handily carried by Trump in the election. No. 1 was Tulsa in Oklahoma, which Trump won with 65.3% of the vote. It was followed by Cincinnati, Ohio and Kansas City, Missouri. The only marquee city from a blue state in the Top 10 was Chicago at No. 5 — the area where the series is set. ABC focused some of its marketing efforts in the region with a preview of the revival at the 54th Chicago International Film Festival.

The top market of the country, New York, was not in the Top 20; No.2 Los Angeles was not in the Top 30. And yet, Roseanne delivered the highest demo rating for any comedy telecast in 3 1/2 years, since the fall 2014 season premiere of TV's biggest comedy series of the past five years, The Big Bang Theory.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This website gets really embarrassing when it comes to this show. So many people haven't watched it, seen the messages it's actually promoting and instead choosing to just throw baby fits.

This is one case where it makes all of us look really bad and no better than the other side. That's right, in this case, we're pretty much feeding both-siders.
Was that lazily written argument between Roseanne and Jackie where they repeated buzzwords from the 2016 campaign supposed to be insightful or provocative? It's fine to dismiss this show just on the basis of Trump apologist Roseanne succeeding on a network that won't even address the NFL kneeling debacle.

Deleted member 13037

this is like when people say "DAE think stand ups are our modern day philosophers???"

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Or Roseanne could just be an awful person and maybe people don't wish to support her endeavors?

Maybe?

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
See, I THINK we could want that, but then I just imagine how they'll ruin it by having Al whine about players taking knees and then going on about how he never took a knee before scoring four touchdowns in a single game. Then you think about No Ma'am taking on Gamergate members or something and I just get angry the thought ever crossed my mind to begin with.

Al's ignorance was generally a punchline. It was basically the opposite side of the coin from Roseanne.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oh ok so I should support a show where the Lead actor in real life spreads conspiracies against teens that were shot up at their school.

Hold that L.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

So many websites and famous tweeters are making their comments based on the blurbs and paragraph summaries. I've seen most of the first season already at tapings. Show is much more nuanced than "The Connors are a bunch of trump-eters and the show is nothing but Trump based pandering". It's really not that at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Was that lazily written argument between Roseanne and Jackie where they repeated buzzwords from the 2016 campaign supposed to be insightful or provocative? It's fine to dismiss this show just on the basis of Trump apologist Roseanne succeeding on a network that won't even address the NFL kneeling debacle.

Or perhaps you should be happy that anyone who watches that extremely harmless exchange that led to a main character expressing her regret at letting her overbearing bully of a sister vote against her interests also gets to witness an episode where they overwhelmingly support gender fluid children and promote a woman having a choice over her own body.

People here looked at one incredibly tepid exchange and went off the deep end. It's super embarrassing and makes everyone who only talks about what you're talking about look like total tools.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what you need to know about why the ratings are high:
Both Trump and Roseanne were able to tap into the often overlooked and underserved working-class audience, especially the portion that holds mostly conservative views. Not surprisingly, the top TV markets where Roseanne delivered its highest ratings were in states handily carried by Trump in the election. No. 1 was Tulsa in Oklahoma, which Trump won with 65.3% of the vote. It was followed by Cincinnati, Ohio and Kansas City, Missouri. The only marquee city from a blue state in the Top 10 was Chicago at No. 5 — the area where the series is set. ABC focused some of its marketing efforts in the region with a preview of the revival at the 54th Chicago International Film Festival.

Weird to use Kansas City, Missouri, as evidence for this point, because while the State of Missouri voted for Trump overall, in Jackson County, where KCMO is located, voters went for Hillary at 55.7% to Trump's 39.0%.

Regardless, Roseanne Barr is a disgusting human being, and it sucks that she's doing well.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have much an issue with the show as much as the main character herself but whatever. In theory, the idea of a show that uses the backdrop of a family that would likely be Trump supporters to show the issues involved with that is a promising idea, but from what I saw of the first episode it seemed pretty shallow at best.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or perhaps you should be happy that anyone who watches that extremely harmless exchange that led to a main character expressing her regret at letting her overbearing bully of a sister vote against her interests also gets to witness an episode where they overwhelmingly support gender fluid children and promote a woman having a choice over her own body.

People here looked at one incredibly tepid exchange and went off the deep end. It's super embarrassing and makes everyone who only talks about what you're talking about look like total tools.

I haven't read much conversation about the show itself. I thought most people were trashing it and boycotting it because she's a terrible person IRL regardless of how the show is. That's why I'd never watch it.

Oct 30, 2017

Some of us are a bit perplexed that a woman who chided a Parkland student's grades is being run out of town while another woman who said he's throwing out Nazi salutes (and called them crisis actors) is being rewarded with millions of dollars. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Given Roseanne's real life antics, it seems like tempting fate to renew this early. Though maybe they can pull a Valerie and pull her off the show and continue with the rest of them. She's supposedly the weakest part of the show anyway and The Connor Family has a nice ring to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Or Roseanne could just be an awful person and maybe people don't wish to support her endeavors?

Maybe?

Oh ok so I should support a show where the Lead actor in real life spreads conspiracies against teens that were shot up at their school.

Hold that L.

Roseanne has always been this way and would continue this way without the show. If anything, this show is doing more to promote liberal beliefs to blood red parts of the country than anyone throwing a fit has EVER been able to do. If that's taking an L, then I'll gladly take it.

If the show changes its messaging in the future, then I can get behind what you're saying. Right now, she's probably reached more people with positive messages through the show than her decades of idiotic tweeting and talk show appearances.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with people choosing not to watch the show for any reason they want to. I'm personally pleased that this is going to continue because the audience mentioned in the OP will be exposed to stuff like Darlene's genderfluid son, DJ's interracial marriage, and so on, though.

Oct 30, 2017
Roseanne has always been this way and would continue this way without the show. If anything, this show is doing more to promote liberal beliefs to blood red parts of the country than anyone throwing a fit has EVER been able to do. If that's taking an L, then I'll gladly take it.

If the show changes its messaging in the future, then I can get behind what you're saying. Right now, she's probably reached more people with positive messages through the show than decades of idiotic tweeting and talk show appearances.

Anything goes to promote the ideology. That seems to be a common belief from you.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a real shame that "appealing to horrible people" is a sound ratings strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with people choosing not to watch the show for any reason they want to. I'm personally pleased that this is going to continue because the audience mentioned in the OP will be exposed to stuff like Darlene's genderfluid son, DJ's interracial marriage, and so on.

Exactly, no problem with that, but a LOT of people here are just spreading nonsense about the show itself, which is disappointing to see of people who supposedly hold themselves to a higher standard.

Deleted member 7207

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did I tell you?!
ABC is trash.

Amazon Prime is too, I guess?

I think some of you are getting ahead of yourselves on this one, applying your personal opinions about Roseanne Barr to the show itself. If you want to distance yourself from it because you don't want to support her then by all means, go right ahead, but there's a full cast and crew working on that show and they aren't exactly acting like some Trump propaganda machine. There's a scene in the second episode that I thought was well handled and may assuage the fears some of you might be having about the show. It's not exactly a conservative's wet dream.

OP
OP
CDX

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
That's what it is for me. I will be staying away. I think the only CBS show I watch is Discovery. I mean I actually really liked it but I guess I can do without it.
Well the show is on ABC not CBS

Although according to the wikipedia page ''CBS Television Distribution'' is the international distributor

RUdHBojl.png

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, she's probably reached more people with positive messages through the show than decades of idiotic tweeting and talk show appearances.

"She" isn't really doing anything, she's neither a writer nor showrunner for the show and isn't credited in that way in any capacity. The worst thing about Roseanne has always been Roseanne Barr, and that includes the original run.

You don't need to convince anyone here the show might be good (and is good). That's not the point. Some people just don't want to support a horrible person.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought she was pretty good in the original run, last terrible season aside. But my love for the show has always been based on Goodman and Gilbert.

It's a real shame that "appealing to horrible people" is a sound ratings strategy.

Well there's a lot of them.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The second episode was way better than the first one.