signal

Oct 28, 2017
(lol)

#FFXIVHEALERSTRIKE

As has been discussed in this thread: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/499558-Dawntrail-s-mediatour-dungeon-was-already-cleared-without-healers. I would like to make this the official thread for those in support of a healer strike as a collective voice to the dev team to express...

After months (and even years) of healer mains in Final Fantasy 14 complaining that Square Enix's MMORPG has simplified and devalued the job, seemingly to no avail, aggrieved healers are going one step further to make their opinion known: They're going on strike.
The strike originated on June 9, when Square Enix forum user Gemina (a Scholar main) posted a thread succinctly titled #FFXIVHEALERSTRIKE. The thread opens with a mission statement for the strike. Gemina writes:
I would like to make this the official thread for those in support of a healer strike as a collective voice to the dev team to express the dissatisfaction with the continued direction the game has gone concerning healer gameplay and what is an arrived consensus that has deemed to be a negligence towards the role, as well as the players who main it.
While this is not a new issue for FF14's healer community, Dawntrail previews were the tipping point that led to the strike. Specifically, FF14 content creator Xenosys Vex's preview video, showing a four-person party beating the new expansion's first dungeon, Ihuykatumu, without a healer. Of course, Xenosys used some clever party make-up: The party's tank was a Warrior, a class known for its self-healing abilities. The Warrior was then supported by three DPS players, with one choosing Red Mage to make use of healing and revival magic without the need for a true healer. Still, it's not a good look for Dawntrail and it has put a sour taste in many healers' mouths.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VqBWp00XNZs

View: https://youtu.be/rMXi734WQBk?si=PnnOyIalKucJqM6h

Healer queues about to rise from half a second to .75 of a second.

Red Hunter

May 28, 2024
Are there actually healers crying about this or is it being blown out of proportion? I know the FFXIV general forums can be a shitshow.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
This is like reading FFXI forums from 20 years ago lol. "Who needs a WHM? SMN or RDM will be fine."

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
More commendations for me, then.
(I play healer but have no idea what the situation is with current endgame content)

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Are there actually healers crying about this or is it being blown out of proportion? I know the FFXIV general forums can be a shitshow.

There are valid reasons to be unhappy with the state of healers in the game but it's being blown out of proportion. It won't make any noticeable difference.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
8e98cv4.gif

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I only have a WHM at lvl 90, so I won't be partaking. It's also the first story dungeon, so I wouldn't take the difficulty too seriously.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
This is overblown because xeno is a great player and most tanks and dps will never be able to be self sufficient like this. Healers are also getting some nice dps goodies and changes this expansion.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
You've been able to do dungeons without a healer for a couple of expansions now, I know we don't need one when we do premade expert roulettes.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
In reality, this just isn't the type of game where they'll get the experience they're looking for. No healer dungeon runs have been a thing forever. You're never going to get that sort of bite back from enemies outside of Savage and Ultimates.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Note that the "boycott" doesn't mean they're unsubbing, it just means they're going to play as a non-healer class.

The strike entails that players will not be participating in group content as any of the four available jobs to the healer role.

I've never heard of boycotting by continuing to pay for a product you're unsatisfied with, lol

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It's just leveling dungeons, right?

I could see raid content, but story dungeons?
If you're saying you could see the upset justified if no healer runs were possible in raid content well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svhRFO34_F8
Bear in mind this is the absolute fringe case an maximizing the broken design of the game (in an encounter that doesn't do a forced no healer you die check through mechanics).

But that it's possible in the highest level of content at all is something people can debate about if that should be a thing or not.

But also the reason this happened because of a no healer dungeon run is quite strange indeed given this has been a thing since shadowbringers.
But maybe the whole straw that broke the camel's back thing although from what I've seen shared around people in the healer strike thread don't really understand the issues with healers tbh.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
It's easily possible in all content outside of Savage and Ultimates. FFXIV is a cruising game. A lot of people like it for that.

Yeah, most of my friends who play are in that Savage/Ult life, so that's all I really hear about.

If you're saying you could see the upset justified if no healer runs were possible in raid content well.

That's really cool. As a lifelong tank and melee DPS, I respect it.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
(lol)

#FFXIVHEALERSTRIKE

As has been discussed in this thread: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/499558-Dawntrail-s-mediatour-dungeon-was-already-cleared-without-healers. I would like to make this the official thread for those in support of a healer strike as a collective voice to the dev team to express...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VqBWp00XNZs

View: https://youtu.be/rMXi734WQBk?si=PnnOyIalKucJqM6h

Healer queues about to rise from half a second to .75 of a second.

Heh, ESO already has this problem. Honestly at least in easy dungeons my healer feels like it's useless and would be better as a good DPS (unless the other players are newbies). Almost every other class has a way of self healing.

On the other hand, it's probably because ESO is trying to be friendly to people who don't want do do much MP (which I appreciate). From what I understand FFXIV is more trying to be a true mmo that encourages people to have to do MP where as ESO is trying to appeal to the original roots of the IP and interest people who would like to play it more SP. So it would be more upsetting to the base of FFXIV to make a role useless.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You've been able to do dungeons without a healer for a couple of expansions now, I know we don't need one when we do premade expert roulettes.
Right? This is nothing new, but to the creator of the strike that's also part of the problem they have.

Their other big example is the current Ultimate having been completed w/o healers. Yet this was done by the top 1% of 1% of players with a very specific comp and was nowhere near the most effective or efficient way to clear the content.

As a healer main, hell as a player of FFXIV in general, I have no problem with the state of the casual content in the game. When you join a roulette you have no idea the quality of the player you're getting. I had to solo heal Tower at Paradigm's Breach this week b/c my co-healer was absolutely useless. I've had awful healers in dungeons and it was a nightmare. If you want challenging heal content, EXs and Savage and Criterion are right there for you.

All of the story related content remains easy so that literally anyone can get through it. I wouldn't want to see anyone roadblocked in the MSQ by it getting too difficult.

Kotaku really scraping the bottom of the content barrel, huh?
In fairness, it is making some waves of awareness in the FFXIV community. They write about FFXIV quite a bit over there these days, so I'm not super surprised at them talking about it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
There are valid reasons to be unhappy with the state of healers in the game but it's being blown out of proportion. It won't make any noticeable difference.
I was going to say almost exactly this. Healers could certainly use some love to make them more interesting, but there will almost certainly be no noticeable, problematic "Healer Strike".
Yeah ignoring the 'strike' these are correct. There are valid complaints for the role but dungeon healing is whatever.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not happy with the AST changes myself (have made that clear in the OT lmao) as an AST main but I'm gonna be playing Pictomancer this expansion…. Am I technically striking? 🙈

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely not possible in extreme trials, deep dungeons, and criterion.

Not needing a healer is basically limited to a single tank
False it's possible in deep dungeons how else do you think solo runs work?
It's possible in certain extreme trials as well.

Whew lots of false information by people being spread around already not unlike in the healer strike thread itself.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
How many times do we need to repeat that they've explicitly said they want to address this, and they're starting with encounters first, and then jobs a bit later into dawntrail

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
This just reminds me: do you think we'll ever see a serious shake-up of the Tank/Heal/DPS thing?

Not in FFXIV in particular, but just MMOs generally and even other games have seemingly settled into this concept, with some also having "support" as a fourth option separate from healing.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are obviously more than welcome to queue or not queue on whatever they like, And I do understand a lot of issues healers have with their kits and the fight design. That being said at least from official forum "manifesto", I think it's extremely silly to be upset at DPS and tanks having sustain abilities. For one, sustain is literally part of the tank job fantasy too. So I can't take you seriously if you're going to complain about that. And for DPS, much abilities are valuable in solo play and fun to use for raid mitigation. Pretty much the only ability you could actually call a problem is WAR's Bloodwhetting… which is admittedly pretty silly.

Also if the strike actually starts on July 2nd and not Early Access start? That would be very very funny.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
As a healer main, hell as a player of FFXIV in general, I have no problem with the state of the casual content in the game.

As an MMO vet, one thing that always stuck out to me is that there are players who make their role their identity. The top DPS parsers, certainly tanks and healers. Every game I've played and guild I've been in has always had some sort of ego problem in the tank (and I tank) and healer roster. It could be as simple as they also just don't like any other classes or gameplay styles in a social group game.

I can see how not needing healers would rub people the wrong way because their entire validation in this social space is Being the Healer.

...plus, they probably spent hours building hot mogs for it.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
How many times do we need to repeat that they've explicitly said they want to address this, and they're starting with encounters first, and then jobs a bit later into dawntrail
Yoshi P also said go play ultimate if you want to be engaged on healer and well you still press 70% glare in ultimate and TOP happening without healers on content def made that a pretty bad aged like milk statement.
Point is more here that I don't think citing them saying vague things is offering much in regards of assurances.
To be clear though I don't think the healer strike is gonna do anything and most people maybe should start accepting that the healer fantasy in FF14 is not for them and maybe if that creates enough of a population issue then things might change but don't get your hopes up.
This one was more about the argument of "they said x" not really being convincing. Once upon a time they also said multiple times egi glamour would be a thing *shrug*. As long as they're vague and not concrete these statements kinda don't mean anything outside just being interesting to check if they are thinking about certain things.

What extremes are these?
There are no on level extremes that are healer proof without ridiculous stacked comps to get around it. Like plds explicitly using a healing skill.

Innocence is one of them iirc, also several eden savage fights been done all tanks. And no it has very little to do with plds healing and more to do with the core design of the game and how powerful mitigation and self sustain has gotten.
Changing the argument to but "stacked comps" is irrelevant though cause my only intention was correcting the false information of it not being possible without a healer.

Last edited:

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Healer has sucked bad for many years now, so I can sympathize but I doubt we'll ever see healing requirements go up or even a tiny healer rotation. The community just wouldn't be able to handle it anymore, the game's healing skill floor has been in the basement for too long, and the game has been severely dumbed down so even the worst of the worst can clear just about everything from beginning to end without any issues.

You'd have to go all the way to ultimate to even see anything remotely interesting for healers, but in the end you're still mostly mashing 1 button and dealing with mostly static damage.

Wotkar

Oct 27, 2017
healing is almost pointless though. ffxiv should just switch to drinking potions instead

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
There's valid reasoning to be annoyed at what they've done to healers. They have one button to press in 95% of the content and then you do a couple oGCD heals here and there.

It got to the point where healer mains are hoping their dungeon group sucks so they can actually do something.

It was the same for tanks before Shadowbringers before every dungeon boss got a tank breaker and they were encouraged to use a mitigation.

This is 100% on SE In how they design normal encounters.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm planning to MSQ with Pictomancer, Scholar will be my daily roulette job.

So lol, thanks for the faster queues.
I doubt this will make enoughof an impact to be noticeable.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Reading reactions to the AST changes it seems that my decision to drop the game after ShB was the right one, RIP in peace my beloved SB AST, I'll never forget you.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017

As a healer main, yes. The amount of healing they have been giving other jobs, especially Warrior, is really starting to impact the feeling of class identity when it comes to healing jobs. To the point where I am starting to wonder if anyone on the main team is a healer main. This is exacerbated by modes in the game like Field Operations (Bozja etc) and Variant Dungeons where you pretty much are doing yourself a disservice if you go in as a healer because things take so much longer to complete compared to being DPS with healer special abilities.

I feel more useless because why do I need to be healer that can do damage when they have been slowly but surely making other jobs be able to mitigate enough where it's not as needed? I could just as easily be a damage dealer that heals instead.

The game outside of Savage, Unreal and some EX content has never been easier, too, which isn't helping. You don't need healers for dungeons, and you often don't need two healers for normal/alliance raids, either. The stakes are always so low.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Just speaking for myself, but healers have been pretty bland for a whiiiiiiiiiile. It's not like it's a new problem or sentiment that they had to hastily formulate a response to.

Which isn't to say I'm unhappy with the response or anything, but healers have been banging this drum for a long time, so I don't expect people to just shut up when the answer they get is "yeah, we'll get to it….. eventually."