• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
WARNING: YouTube link to Fox News official interview
youtu.be

Is Facebook censoring conservative voices? Zuckerberg weighs in

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg joins Dana Perino on ‘The Daily Briefing' discussing censorship, the coronavirus pandemic, and the SpaceX-NASA partnership. #Fox...

Politico coverage:
www.politico.com

Zuckerberg, Dorsey spar over Twitter’s flagging of Trump’s tweets

“We have a different policy than, I think, Twitter on this,” the Facebook CEO told Fox News.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg argued Wednesday that private companies should not be the "arbiter of truth" online, implicitly rebuking fellow tech titan Jack Dorsey after the Twitter CEO flagged a pair of President Donald Trump's posts with fact-check warnings that provoked the White House's ire.

"We have a different policy than, I think, Twitter on this," Zuckerberg told Fox News host Dana Perino in an interview set to air Thursday.

"You know, I just believe strongly that Facebook shouldn't be the arbiter of truth of everything that people say online," he continued. "I think, in general, private companies probably shouldn't be — or especially these platform companies — shouldn't be in the position of doing that."

Twitter CEO replies:

Both companies have poor track history and are desperate not to be regulated. I assume this is why Zuckerberg is being spineless - he wants to make sure they don't see bias.

Conservatives are trash and as usual love a free market and free speech until they don't like what a company is saying back at them.

EDIT: Jack mentions his employees because the White House is scum by the way
www.resetera.com

White House organizes harassment of Twitter employee as Trump threatens company

Article update- Twitter ceo responds - Update - President has doubled down and put a target on the employee

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
KhXi6n1.png

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Two of the worst people on Earth in the collab no one wanted to see.

Soulless shit goblins, the both of them.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Wow, he's really fishing for that Trump Cult activity, huh? Imagine if the President moved from a rival Social Media Platform to yours, that's pretty great for shareholders.

What a complete asshole. I hope this backfires on him significantly, Facebook should have been broken up a decade ago.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Facebook literally helped incite a FUCKING GENOCIDE and Zuckerberg is up in arms over this teeny-tiny please-don't-click-me link Twitter added.

www.nytimes.com

A Genocide Incited on Facebook, With Posts From Myanmar’s Military (Published 2018)

With fake pages and sham accounts, the military targeted the mostly Muslim Rohingya minority group, said former military officials, researchers and civilian officials.

www.nytimes.com

Facebook Admits It Was Used to Incite Violence in Myanmar (Published 2018)

The company, citing a human rights report it commissioned, said it was moving to prevent further abuses of its platform in Myanmar. Critics said they were unconvinced.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I think he is right but he is doing it for advertisement reasons, in the end of the day many of these companies will default to the corporations that lied about WMD and never even apologized for it. Their "truth" is usually "state approved"

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't use facebook but I thought they had a whole fact check thing similar to what twitter did, or am I mistaken?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't posted on facebook for years but this finally put me over the edge to get rid of it. Fuck this piece of shit sociopath.

Oct 25, 2017
Strangely, Trump's move is technically pro-regulation and that exposes a problem because regulation is being used to promote his own speech and possibily silence the speech of others rather than making the situation better. What speech is ok and what isn't is all about who is in power.

Why Zuckerberg is wrong is actually more subtle. Zuckerberg and Dorsey and others directly profit from "free speech." So they do have some responsibility for what they do or do not do because they installed themselves at the top, it's not an open forum, it's Facebook/Twitter's forum. If you want to be completely hands-off, that's fine, stop selling ads, decentralize and lock yourself out. You can't have your cake and eat it to, if you put yourself in charge you accept the responsibility of being in charge.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't use facebook but I thought they had a whole fact check thing similar to what twitter did, or am I mistaken?
They do. That's part of the hypocrisy here. Facebook has done this themselves, and taken down several posts for misleading info. Zuckerberg bragged about it recently.
arstechnica.com

Zuckerberg dismisses fact-checking after bragging about fact-checking

Preventing misinformation is good, apparently, unless it makes the president mad.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wish I didn't need a Facebook account for my business. Otherwise I would have deleted my personal account years ago. Having a FB page for your small business does so much to boost your SEO that you just can't not have it. No one really communicates with us through it, and I rarely ever post anything on it (recently I did post some notification about changes to how we're doing business due to COVID). But I'd really love enough people to delete their accounts that it stopped becoming relevant to SEO so I could just get rid of it in general. But of course that turns into a big chicken/egg issue.