• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who would have ever thought that young people would not enjoy the stuff we enjoyed when we were kids

I am absolutely stunned

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I'm guilty of this too. I grew up with 16 bit, Genesis was my first introduction to games, and I can't really enjoy 8 bit games. Earlier games, like Atari, are even worse except the classics like Space Invaders.

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of old games that just have not aged well, graphically or mechanically. Console shooters before Halo or most FPS before Half-Life just are not as fun to play.

Kids these days won't recall the era of third-person games where you were fighting the camera as much as any enemies or obstacles on screen.

Games on stuff like the Atari are impressive insofar as what they were able to accomplish under incredible constraints, but most don't really hold up beyond nostalgia. And that's fine.

Younger generations are always dismissive of what came before writ large anyhow, whether it's games, movies, music. Just the nature of things.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
This is for you:

rachid-lotf-rachid-lotf-111-01.jpg

https://viralstyle.com/store/geekshop/ach

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Boy do I miss the following:
  • Losing my saved games due to battery backup running out of charge.
  • Passwords.
  • Having to buy a game at a later date to get a more recent revision with bug fixes.
  • Long loading times.
  • Blocky razor-sharp-edged polygons that warp all over the place.
  • Straight ports of arcade games with no progression.
  • Slow-ass memory cards.
  • CD drives wearing out very quickly.
  • That awkward phase of early 3D games controlling like absolute ass.
  • Fog. Fog everywhere.
  • Controllers without analog sticks or vibration.
  • Playing online with a 56k dialup modem.
  • Installing a game spread over a dozen of floppies.
  • Having to manually configure my soundcard.
  • Having to edit my autoexec.bat and config.sys files to shave a few KBs of RAM to enable the mouse driver.
... said no one ever.

Oct 29, 2017
Gamers these days don't even appreciate a game that's 6 months old, let alone decades!

Soon as a game's initial hype cycle is done, the game is now old and busted.

Can't say I blame them though, today's games are largely absolute gobshite.

Oct 30, 2017
THE ONLY THING TO MISS FROM THOSE GENERATIONS ARE THE FOLLOWING:

Game Genie
Gameshark
Action Replay

Instead I now have leaderboards... poop tradeoff.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I cant really go further back than Gen 4 myself, theres a few NES games I dont mind (the standouts) but there was a huge jump in QoL and accessibility on Genesis/SNES that really made it a step up from before. Though I will say, I still tend to gravitate toward modern ports or emulators for those old games

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been gaming my whole life (Atari 2600 was the first thing I played) and honestly, I'm not real big on old games either. I bought the SNES Classic at launch (missed out on the NES Classic initially when it came out) and was so excited since it has a ton of amazing games that I love but I've never even taken it out of the box. Hell, when I buy remasters.. I basically never touch them. FF12 was my favorite PS2 game and I was so excited to play it again but I lasted an hour. Something difficult about going back in time with games for me. Usually they're just about a time and a place IMO.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm old (well, 30s) by these standards and I don't even like going back to most older games. We've come so far and between graphics, control, gameplay, story, etc... newer games just offer so much. Without nostalgia, the older stuff doesn't offer a lot to me (for the most part!). I certainly wouldn't fault someone younger for not being interested.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Im a millennial and my favorite game of all time is Valkyrie Profile... Beyond that I grew up with Bucky O'Hare, Zelda, TMNT... Not really sure what you're talking about here OP....

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a millennial and I can't go back to old games. I tried playing Baldure's Gate 2 many times, but the UI and D&D rules highly annoy me. Sleeping after each fight to get spells back? Come on!

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I mean. Those games are going on 25+ years now and still played regularly by many. I guess we will see how Celeste fairs. But right now I'll give it to Super Mario.
That doesnt mean theyre inherently more replayable? Rayman Origins is starting to get up there in years but its fairly recent, and ive replayed that game more than most classic 2d platformers. That doesnt mean Rayman Origins is more replayable than Megaman 2, it just means i myself have replayed it more.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, a lot of late 90s and early 2000s 3D games suck. We just put a lot of value towards them because of nostalgia. For every Super Mario 64, you have hundreds of other games that just do not hold up anymore. And even if we used to think they were great, it's only because there were very few actually great 3D games to compare them to.

Jun 26, 2018
To be honest, a lot of late 90s and early 2000s 3D games suck. We just put a lot of value towards them because of nostalgia. For every Super Mario 64, you have hundreds of other games that just do not hold up anymore. And even if we used to think they were great, it's only because there were very few actually great 3D games to compare them to.

That's still true today though? Who's gonna remember brink? Or Evolve? Or ironically titled "remember me"?

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I was born in 1997, so I guess I'm part of Generation Z or whatever. I can't speak for others that are in the same generation as I am, but what you're complaining about certainly doesn't apply to me OP lol. I love older games and I generally grew up with games from the SNES and N64 era!

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
Im not anything, all this branding people due to the era there born is robotic ballshit. Im just a carbon based life form, 31 and played all the consoles from Commadore 64 onwards.

Oct 27, 2017
The masses will always being biting at the bit consume whatever "new" thing is out there. But there are also always going to be people who enjoy old games as well. It's niche but that's life. I'm 30 now but I still play the games I played during my child hood way more than modern offerings. Something about the limitations maybe, idk. Something about older games still sparks my imagination to fill in the blanks. I can't even finish most new games these days. They are usually too long, open world slogs.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
It's not, though. That's the weird thing. Last time someone did an age poll. The vast majority were 25+.
Yeah, i know, it's super weird. Most people here should be well over 30 years old, yet you can read all these "ewwwww old games are yucky!!!" opinions all over this place.

Kind of disappointing for a supposed core gamer comunity.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It happens to every medium. Console video games are just now getting old enough to where a significant portion of the audience playing them today was born after many of the major classics. These "Zoomers" are the children of the kids who were playing NES and SNES games.

I mean, I'm in my 30's and Atari and Colecovision were before my time, but I think we are now truly reaching the "2nd generation of gamers" or the "post-gamer generation" if you wanna call it that.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
  • Passwords.
  • Having to buy a game at a later date to get a more recent revision with bug fixes.
  • Long loading times.
  • Slow-ass memory cards.
  • Fog. Fog everywhere.
  • Having to edit my autoexec.bat and config.sys files to shave a few KBs of RAM to enable the mouse driver.
... said no one ever.

I wouldn't say no one wants these things. I know (and work with) a bunch of people who would love to see some of these things be more common today.

- passwords are an easy way for people to skip to certain parts of games if they find the game too difficult. They also allow for fun easter eggs or other pre-setup builds.

- Long load times? Games these days take way longer to load than they used to. I remember when Mortal Kombat 1 came out on Sega CD, we used to clown on that version because it too 7-10 seconds of loading per match. That would be lightning fast on a PS4/XboxOne these days. Lots of AAA games have 1-2 minute loading times when they boot up. Some games have 30 second respawn times after death. It seems like it'll only be next gen before we get decent load times (though PC games have loaded decently fast from SSDs for a while now).

- Blocky razor sharp polys are the hot new art style. Lots of people love them (or love a version of them). I wouldn't be surprised if they are the new trend in indie art styles now that and young devs whose first system was a PS1 are coming up.

- There's a small-ish crowd of people that really don't like progression, in the sense of the game giving you things for just spending time with it. XP for everything, unlocking items, crafting junk, XP, XP, XP. They are all systems that mask flat gameplay systems by making the numbers go up. Arcade games gave players then entire tool set from the get go and asked them to become better as a player, not have the character in the game become better for them. Things that used to be measures of skill have become measures of time, and there's some people coming around to the idea that that's often not great. Not every game needs to be one way; there's room in the market and fandom for arcade style games.

- 'the awkward phase of 3D games controlling like ass' is true, but there's a decent amount of people that look fondly at that era because it was a time of great experimentation. While standardized control schemes have made games much easier to grok from moment one, and evolution on best practices have made 3D games, in general, control much better than they used to -- the whole thing has come hand in hand with codification and narrower input variety. Some have argued that it's caused stagnation in core game design because codified input methods have created a sort of "mental prison" in developers minds. It also hasn't helped that 3D games, in striving to feel better, have trended towards tons and tons of assists, with some games (and genres in totality) trending towards games that "play themselves".

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Im not anything, all this branding people due to the era there born is robotic ballshit. Im just a carbon based life form, 31 and played all the consoles from Commadore 64 onwards.

it's just the usual tribalistic nonsense. Us vs Them etc. Yawnorama. Theres the added ageism aspect too. Just garbage.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I grew up playing older games and I honestly don't think I can go back to them anymore. The controls are (generally) very clunky, a lot of them look bad (especially the 3D ones) and they have very archaic and often annoying mechanics that I'm glad we've left behind.

To each their own, of course, but I'm happy with playing newer games and I understand why younger people wouldn't want to bother with old games.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
TBF the PS1 and N64 generation is probably one of the hardest to go back to. Lacking nostalgia for that generation (I went PC-only between the SNES and Gamecube) I find a lot of the games really hard to get into. A lot of it seemed driven by "wow, we have 3D! Be amazed by that!" which of course falls flat these days. It's like going back to first or second gen consoles for 2D, when games still struggled to draw scenes of any complexity and game design tropes weren't established (see also pre-SMB platformer physics). Terrible framerates sure don't help either.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't barely stand NES era games and totally fail to see the appeal of most atari commodore games, so honestly, I wouldn't blame kids if they find the games from my childhood boring

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I can't find it again but I recall a meme, possibly ironic and possibly not, asking "what kind of old school gamer are you?" and listing Minecraft and Skyrim as the oldest options.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I narrowly miss the mark for Gen Z, so I'm technically not in the discussion for the (edited) thread title.

But I grew up from 3~6 playing NES, SNES, and plug and play Dig Dug. At 6 I got a GameCube (which was already dropped in price I believe). I adore the cube. But even still, I don't go back to it often. For the most part, newer titles simply offer more. More responsive controls, more new things to experience, more to the systems.

There are games from then that I hold in high regard that would even beat out many modern titles. Would I trade what we have now to go back to circa 2002~? Heck no. I almost feel a jealousy sometimes how much of "the dream" kids get to live (Breath of the Wild would have been child me's permanent title), if I were in their shoes I'd not go back much either.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Naw, I call bullshit. People invested in and passionate about the hobby and industry can appreciate games regardless of how old they are and how old the game is. There isn't a high barrier of entry for merely appreciating something.

And even if they aren't, there's still a lot of classics that have aged really well. If you plop a kid down in front of a Donkey Kong or Space Invaders cabinet today I bet you they'll have a good time.

Dec 2, 2017
- There's a small-ish crowd of people that really don't like progression, in the sense of the game giving you things for just spending time with it. XP for everything, unlocking items, crafting junk, XP, XP, XP. They are all systems that mask flat gameplay systems by making the numbers go up. Arcade games gave players then entire tool set from the get go and asked them to become better as a player, not have the character in the game become better for them. Things that used to be measures of skill have become measures of time, and there's some people coming around to the idea that that's often not great. Not every game needs to be one way; there's room in the market and fandom for arcade style games.
Not only is there room in the market, those types of games are bigger than ever, because they translate well to the accessibility & immediacy that the mobile space demands. Weren't too many moms playing Asteroids back in the day, but things like Flappy Bird reach all audiences nowadays.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I have a child I will make them play games in the the order they were released starting with Pong. I'll require them to submit a written report after every game so that we can categorize their thoughts and ratings on each game. Then they will truly appreciate gaming like I do.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah, i know, it's super weird. Most people here should be well over 30 years old, yet you can read all these "ewwwww old games are yucky!!!" opinions all over this place.

Kind of disappointing for a supposed core gamer comunity.
No kidding. Old games are incredibly important. And dare I say - still a lot of fun.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
  • Passwords.
  • Long loading times.
  • Slow-ass memory cards.
  • Fog. Fog everywhere.
... said no one ever.

Most of these weren't issues with 6th and 7th gen gaming though, which is what the OP is talking about.

Though OP also did mention PS1 I just realized, so I guess for that generation most of your points are valid. Definitely not after though.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
as I get older I have less and less patience for the bullshit of the games of my youth

I ain't got time for that

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I've definitely seen people express little to no interest in older games, which is surprising to see on an enthusiast board like this. I was born in '93, but I've been looking into playing older classics all the way back to the NES (I'll admit to having no interest in going back to Atari-era). I haven't gotten to a ton of them, but from some of the ones I've played, I think the simplicity of them sort of keeps them from aging, for instance I played through ALttP for the first time and I think I may prefer the 2D format for the Zelda series. Now the PS/N64 gen, which wasn't my first gen, but was the one I spent the most time with early on , I can understand some difficulty going back to, but even then I think it's nice to see the beginnings of series and genres that got their start there.