• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Matt Reeves had a dozen characters in Dawn of the planet of the apes, half of them apes, and it worked great.
have faith!

Also, watch the RISE/DAWN/WAR trilogy if you haven't yet.
he didn't make the first one tho, but it's necessary to watch for the other 2

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Based on some of the rumors/leaks -

This film is going to feature Batman, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, and Harvey Dent.

It's supposed to be a detective story. Detective/crime stories often have multiple featured characters. It's not going to be an origin story, so it doesn't have to focus 100% on Batman/Bruce. Believe it or not, its possible to create a story with multiple characters without it feeling "crammed".

I said it the last time someone brought up this concern, but it's a detective/noir crime story potentially featuring a detective, a crime boss, a cat burglar, a district attorney and a guy who literally leaves riddles at crime scenes at his calling card. I don't see a good filmmaker (and Reeves is one) having a problem juggling this.

Zazie Beetz making it that far into consideration sort of confirms this won't be linked to Joker, I would think. Unless they are just fucking with people, or throwing people off the scent.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen her in anything but I trust Reeves and I'm glad Catwoman is black.

Hope she has the goggles look like the Telltale game.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, what the fuck?

This is the start of a new era with a new Batman. Maybe they should, you know, actually focus on establishing Batman first instead of trying to cram in all these characters into a single film.
I think the public are pretty established with batman's origin and concept by now, and telling an actual story instead of yet another establishing origin movie seems like a good idea.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this was casting I was not expecting. I like how they're not going after massive A listers for the cast. Zoe Kravitz seems like a cool choice.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

This is the start of a new era with a new Batman. Maybe they should, you know, actually focus on establishing Batman first instead of trying to cram in all these characters into a single film.
Establishing a Gotham where villains exist and are part of the fabric of the city is establishing a new Batman. That speaks volumes about the world, this Batman, etc

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Establishing a Gotham where villains exist and are part of the fabric of the city is establishing a new Batman. That speaks volumes about the world, this Batman, etc

Perhaps. I just prefer the way it was done in TDK trilogy. Establishing a core group of protagonists and then giving subsequent villains their own film to shine.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
ITT some people struggle to comprehend how a movie can have more than 4 characters with speaking roles.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I've never seen any of the FB movies. I honestly couldn't tell you who she played in Fury Road or First Class.

Hopefully she turns out a memorable performance as Catwoman.

Her character was Toast the Knowing, the bride who knew all about the guns.

zoe-kravitz-mad-max-fury-road.jpg

Oct 25, 2017

Catwoman is a core element of Batman,
she should be there from the early stages throughout and to late stages.
Movies have never been faithful enough where they just make her a one a done supporting character.

It doesn't even matter how she is used,
I'd literally be fine with just Selina Kyle for an entire movie.
or heck even something like
Catwoman in movie 1
Kingpin Selina in movie 2
Hero Catwoman in movie 3

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
This.

Batman, his origin and his rogues gallery are familiar territory at this point. I don't want a film that re-establishes Batman and builds up his world from the ground up. A film that introduces the audience to a world where Batman has not only been active for some time but also the villains, is much more compelling to me.

Spend time establishing his allies who might not be on the same level of familiarity as himself or his villains. The Bat-family has still not been realised effectively on film, Batman has many times over.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Very horny people in this thread.

I think Zoe was my favourite so I am quite happy about this. I kinda don't see Zazie in this. Hope she gets something else....

Barbara.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I hope batman narrates in this movie...is that a weird request?
I think it could definitely work if done right. We "hear" Batman's inner monologue all the time in the comics and since Reves' is supposedly making a detective story, it would be an interesting to way to push the whole noir aspect even further.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I just thought about Jeffery Wright narrating as Gordon following Batman once step behind and trying to piece things together, and it might work even better depending on what angle they want to go with this
I actually like this idea even more. His voice is so good that I wonder if that was a big part of why he was cast. I mean, him providing the voice of The Watcher over on the 'What If?' Marvel show is kind of the same deal. It would even lend credence to the fact it's called, "The Batman" as if it's from the POV of other people and how they refer to him as the myth.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's the point. A murder mystery, if rumors are true, to solve amid a city of villains. Movie is said to be noir inspired, so just replace the detective movie archetypes with villain personalities. Catwoman as femme fatale, Penguin as the underworld source you go to for info outside the system, etc
That sounds great actually. Sold!

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Awww yeaaah Jewish Catwoman. Would have loved to see Ana de Armas or Eiza Gonzalez but tbh they def give me Poison Ivy vibes. Actually, Ana de Armas would make a great Talia. And daaamn that Zazie Beets mention. Reeves has some stellar taste.

Last edited:

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I actually like this idea even more. His voice is so good that I wonder if that was a big part of why he was cast. I mean, him providing the voice of The Watcher over on the 'What If?' Marvel show is kind of the same deal. It would even lend credence to the fact it's called, "The Batman" as if it's from the POV of other people and how they refer to him as the myth.
If this movie is anything like the way I'm picturing it, it's going to be phenomenal. Hopefully they really nail Gotham's look.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Its an ok cast I guess. I hope they get Bryan Cranston for Commissioner Gordon. I really hope it being more detective oriented doesnt mean we get the awful fight scenes like the entire Nolan Trilogy. One thing BvS did right was Batmans combat prowess.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Im worried about the maturity of the movie. I think Jonah really bothers me.
Jonah Hill has been nominated for two academy awards for acting. He even played a scumbag arms dealer and did it well in War Dogs. Turned in another solid performance next to Joaquin Phoenix as well.

Have you not watched him outside of anything but his comedies or something? He has proven himself as an actor.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
After seeing Kravitz in that perfume ad, I think it might work. Though, Ana de Armas strikes me more as a Femme Fatale type, but Reeves is the one who saw the audition.

Last edited:

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Jonah Hill has been nominated for two academy awards for acting. He even played a scumbag arms dealer and did it well in War Dogs. Turned in another solid performance next to Joaquin Phoenix as well.

Have you not watched him outside of anything but his comedies or something? He has proven himself as an actor.
He was great in that Netflix miniseries with Emma Stone too. Forget the name of it.