• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pick one

• Memories of Murder

Votes: 185 51.7%
  • Zodiac

Votes: 173 48.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Memories of Murder

Korean_MemoriesofMurder_06-1-1600x900-c-default.jpg

Zodiac

I42QKkJ.png

Recently rewatched both. Both are incredible,, and in my opinion the respective directors' career best work. Both have an incredible visual style, sound direction, scenes and acting.

My vote goes to Memories. What an absolute MASTERPIECE of a movie. Jaw dropping cinematography and visuals. Especially love the cramped scenes with like 4 or 5 people together like in the station, at the bar or in that guy's shack. Absolutely phenomenal direction. And those dropkicks will never not be hilarious.

Memories feels like a fresh watch every time you watch it. Kinda like Fury Road or Fellowship of the Ring. It's like you know you're in for the Rollercoaster ride and it's going to be amazing. Love this movie.

Zodiac sets the bar extremely high as well and the creepy scenes are more creepier than any horror movie out there. Excellent acting from the leads and the cinematography is visually arresting as well.

What do you think?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zodiac. Great casting, Fincher.

I might need to rewatch Memories of Murder tho'. It's been a while.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I've been trying to find a way to watch Memories of Murder online, with little luck.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Memories of Murder is the best serial killer thriller ever. Can't believe they finally nailed the fucker after all those years.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Memories of Murder mainly because I think it's better paced. I remember Zodiac dragging in spots.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, Memories of Murder a billion percent.

Zodiac has some standout scenes, but I don't really understand putting it anywhere near Fincher's top films.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is Memories of Murder finally available in the states? I had been meaning to watch it for a while and then Parasite came out and they pulled this film from streaming so they could re-release it, but I feel like that might have fallen to the wayside with the pandemic and all.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Zodiac by a country mile if we really need to stack it up like that. The sheer MENACE John Carol Lynch brings to Leigh is unparalleled. He's a legendary actor that continues to be the most interesting person on screen in a room full of interesting character actors.

and that soundtrack, by god its filled to the gills with bangers and doing so across three decades is phenomenal work.

it doesnt hurt that it's Finchers peak work and led the way to Mindhunter.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Memories is a better movie but Zodiac has a few standout scenes that are more tense than anything in MoM.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How many people voting for Zodiac saw Memories of Murder and actually prefer it?

It was available for streaming through Amazon Prime for some time, but they lost it shortly before Parasite blew up. It's returning to for-purchase streaming for an anniversary edition, so I imagine it will be available for free streaming later 2021 (total speculation).

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm they are both pretty great.

I have to give it to Zodiac though because the stabbing scene has been living in my head rent free since the movie came out. I've never seen anything like that. I think I prefer the more serious and grim mood that Zodiac sets as well. Memories has a few spots I remember being a little too silly that they feel a little out of place which I think mostly revolve around the one cop.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
I tried to watch Memories of Murder but i just found it incredibly boring tbh, Zodiac was more engaging and that Park scene is legendary.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The park scene and the basement scene from Zodiac was some elite shit. Overall though I may have to give it to MoM but it's been a while since I've seen it so my memory ain't that great. MoM led me on a spree of watching a bunch of SK thrillers so on that respect it had a big impact on me.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of which, a local cinema is playing Memories of Murder today, so I may as well go to that.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Zodiac is among Fincher's best (elevated by several particularly incredible scenes), but Memories of Murder is one of the greatest films of all time. Bong Joon-ho's magnum opus.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
most that say Zodiac haven't seen Memories of Murder, imo. I say MoM hands down. I was legitimately gobsmacked after watching it and it stuck with me for weeks after.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Memories Of Murder made me more emotional then Zodiac did...so I have to pick that. It's my favorite Bong movie for sure.

I hope the Criterion release is coming soon, from what I remember it never really had much of a physical release in the states.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised by the results. I don't think Zodiac competes in this at all.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Memories of Murder is probably in my top 10 favorite movies all time

So I went with that

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
They're both great but Zodiac def wins for me. I also consider Parasite Bong's magnum opus. It's a masterpiece and better than Memories in my book.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Memories of Murder. Zodiac is one of Fincher's best but not quite as good as Memories.

uUYCUbgI5VxsUflTMI4Y9L2Y6vb.jpg

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
Love Zodiac and have been hearing about Momories of Murder for a long time. This really motivates me to check it out.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Memories by far.

Zodiac is a very 3 star average film .

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love Zodiac, it's a phenomenal film, but Memories of Murder is like peak cinema for me. That ending sequence and shot is just unmatched.

Nov 1, 2017
I think Memories of Murder is a better movie, they're both great though. In Memories, the atmosphere is just impeccable.

Last edited:

Hennessy

Dec 8, 2020
Memories of Murder hands down. The ending scene is probably the best ending of any movie i've ever seen. Even the title of the movie had more thought put in. Also great music from Taro Iwashiro.

Last edited:

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Vote is currently neck to neck at 61 to 61! Very close.

If anyone wants to guess which I voted for, it might not be too difficult, haha. I love both films though.

SaulForex

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched "Zodiac" this week and it's still great. Can't wait to Watch "Memories of Murder" if this poll is anything to go by.

Mar 3, 2019
Zodiac was dissapointing to me. Something about it felt off, and Im a huge fan of everything fincher does. Maybe it was the pacing just felt like a long drawn out movie that didnt really payoff.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I know Zodiac is based on true events so it had to have an open ending but as a movie watcher I was kinda bummed out that they didn't catch the killer lol.

Is the other movie similar?

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
I'm gonna go with MoM. Zodiac is great movie but it had some things that really bugged me. Especially RDJ's character. Felt like he was from different movie.