• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
If W101 can be multi, why no Bayonetta 3?
Oh.
W101 is an old port of an IP co-owned by Nintendo and Platinum.
Bayo 3 is a full new game announced as a full exclusive (not something like FF7R or Nioh for example), with the IP being owned by Sega and the game being owned by Nintendo.

The W101 news/rumor is linked to Platinum getting money from Tencent to self-publish their games. Which is unrelated to Bayonetta.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think Nintendo owned infinite rights to publishing/exclusivity. It's far more likely it just expired. There was almost exactly 4 years between versions and Warner Brothers still published the game for Switch.

Nintendo don't own:
Lego
Telltale Games
Warner Brothers

Lego City is owned by lego

The trademark Lego City Undercover was owned by Telltale games publishing.
Nintendo was solely a publisher and distributor who had moneyhatted the game on time exclusivity.
Nintendo could have owned the assets created specifically for that game. Nintendo did that with Bayonetta 2, for example.
But I agree that it was probably a long-term exclusivity contract that expired after a number of years.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Given how hard TW101 bombed on WiiU, I don't know if it would be really wise of them strategically speaking to release it now.
"Now that we have secure that deal, let's realease that game that will likely bomb !"

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have the feeling Bayonetta 3 will end as multi platforms after first year.
Let's not get hasty here. Bayonetta is arguably Platinum's highest value original IP (not that it matters for much) and 3 is locked between two major publishers. TW101 has the value of peanuts in comparison.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Oh.
W101 is an old port of an IP co-owned by Nintendo and Platinum.
Bayo 3 is a full new game announced as a full exclusive (not something like FF7R or Nioh for example), with the IP being owned by Sega and the game being owned by Nintendo.

The W101 news/rumor is linked to Platinum getting money from Tencent to self-publish their games. Which is unrelated to Bayonetta.

Nope.
Bayonetta 2 is owned by Sega/Nintendo.
Bayonetta 3 still shows as Sega only at Platinum page.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I have the feeling Bayonetta 3 will end as multi platforms after first year.

That seems way less likely, mainly because W101 is a very niche IP that Nintendo probably doesn't mind losing, while Bayonetta (though still niche) is a much better prestige IP for them. They would be far less willing to part with that.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo could have owned the assets created specifically for that game. Nintendo did that with Bayonetta 2, for example.
But I agree that it was probably a long-term exclusivity contract that expired after a number of years.
Yeah, it just seems unlikely that companies of the scale of Warner Brothers and Lego would ever enter into a contract that gave them no control over their own product

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Given how hard TW101 bombed on WiiU, I don't know if it would be really wise of them strategically speaking to release it now.
"Now that we have secure that deal, let's realease that game that will likely bomb !"

Or you look at it as a game that is already complete, was only available to a niche platform and can now be opened up with minimal costs to a market of 300million+ people.

It's exactly why we see ports and remasters of games that have performed poorly- it's a simple way to try and recoup costs and measure interesting in a brand or IP in a "live" environment.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well i got rejected from a job application at P* today so i'm a bit salty, still super happy about them having original IPs, although i can see them working on some more Square properties

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Or you look at it as a game that is already complete, was only available to a niche platform and can now be opened up with minimal costs to a market of 300million+ people.

It's exactly why we see ports and remasters of games that have performed poorly- it's a simple way to try and recoup costs and measure interesting in a brand or IP in a "live" environment.
But then Platinum has bought the ip from Nintendo?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's unlikely they bought back the IP. They're a good partner of Nintendo so they probably were just allowed to self-publish a port of that game to multiple platforms as long as it includes the Switch.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm shocked that W101 can supposedly come to other non-Nintendo platforms... like half the game was made by Nintendo EPD! It has music and spirits in Smash (which are not attributed to being owned by Platinum)

How would that be possible?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
PlatinumGames probably bought the assets and IP rights of The Wonderful 101 from Nintendo.
Nintendo was not interested in doing a port to the Switch themselves. If they can't even bother to do that, I'm sure they also won't be bothered if PlatinumGames brings to game to Sony and Microsoft platforms with their own money.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's unlikely they bought back the IP. They're a good partner of Nintendo so they probably were just allowed to self-publish a port of that game to multiple platforms as long as it includes the Switch.
I can understand it on PC (after all, they already yielded the japanese dub from Bayonetta 1 to Steam), on One and PS4 no.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I can see it now, they use the money to gain access to the Winnie the Pooh IP.

Winnie the Pooh character action games starring Eeyore.

You mope around as an oblivious Eeyore while controlling the embodiment of Eeyore's anguish. Tendrils of anxiety and self loathing perform the attacks on all sorts of Demonic creatures trying to poison the minds of all the inhabitants of the woods. The Demon Lord (Who has possessed the body of Christopher Robin) never anticipated an animal who's soul is already so tormented that it be immune to outside influence. His pain would gain sentience, drawing power from the dark energies surrounding it. This entity is driven by an unending drive to bring it's personal hell down upon anyone foolish enough to harm it's friends.

The title?

E is for Ass.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hopefully multiplatform means Xbox as well then and not just PS and Switch. For whatever reason we're not getting Babylon's Fall, I guess it could always come later just like Nier Automata did though.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That other thread now makes me glad they went with Tencent for funding. Phew. Bayoneta 4 on PS5? Or Nintendo own that now?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I wish nothing but the best for PlatinumGames. They're fantastic developers that have the branding recognition to self-publish.

If it allowed Platinum to buy back rights to all their original IP from Sega (Bayonetta, Vanquish, Madworld/AR, Infinite Space) and Nintendo (Astral Chain, The Wonderful 101) I think I could even stomach a Tencent acquisition. Even dreamier in this dream scenario; throw in the old Clover stuff from Capcom (Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand).

Square Enix can keep Babylon's Flop though.

Oh boy, I would love that. Maybe that's part of the reason why they needed Tencent's capital injection.