• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Wonderful 101 being ported to anything except Switch would be strange since that'd imply they bought the rights back from Nintendo. I get that they're bullish about making the revival happen but I don't think even Platinum would waste their capital to drag the IP out of that stranglehold when it has the most extreme of niche appeal. At best I suspect Nintendo will just let them port it to Switch, while the multi-platform strategy remains original IP.
It's not just Switch.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
In this case the question is wether or not Nintendo keeps their part in W101's ownership. If they do, it'll be Switch and PC at best.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya has to be leading up at least one of their self-published IP, right? He's the biggest name they have and would garner a lot of attention for the title.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They won't. They're a better partner than Game Freak. 🙃

Honestly though, if Platinum had their way they'd have ported Rising to Wii U and Automata to Switch. It's like all the Nintendo fanboys at Capcom basically left and joined together.

I'm totally expecting that weird mobile Okami-like to resurface as a full Switch/PS4/Xbox/PC ARPG.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Kamiya desperate enough to port W101 to make PG buy the rights back.
It still weird that after all that teasing, nothing, so something did happen behind the scene.

It's not just Switch.
tenor.gif

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo sells back the rights to a game for multiplatform publishing though.
See Lego City Undercover.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo didn't end up relinquishing the rights then the best I'm expecting is for it to only be on PC.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Platinum Games has taken a big step as a developer with this. If they're able to self publish successful original IPs, they'll have taken a rare step for an independent developer.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Quick fact-sheet for the newcomers who might be about to experience The Wonderful 101 for the first time:

- The true masterpiece of the world's greatest living video game director
- The longest video game ever made. There's a level in the ice late in the game that is actually longer than the entire game that contains it
- Those vague memories you have of it being described as DMC meets Pikmin meets Punch-Out meets meets meets? Yes.
- "The Wonderful 101 will release on August 23rd" - Hideki Kamiya
- Buy Unite Spring and Unite Guts ASAP
- Do you eat shit?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Quick fact-sheet for the newcomers who might be about to experience The Wonderful 101 for the first time:

- The longest video game ever made. There's a level in the ice late in the game that is actually longer than the entire game that contains it
- Those vague memories you have of it being described as DMC meets Pikmin meets Punch-Out meets meets meets? Yes.
- Do you eat shit?

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

All facts.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo sells back the rights to a game for multiplatform publishing though.
See Lego City Undercover.

I don't think Nintendo owned infinite rights to publishing/exclusivity. It's far more likely it just expired. There was almost exactly 4 years between versions and Warner Brothers still published the game for Switch.

Nintendo don't own:
Lego
Telltale Games
Warner Brothers

Lego City is owned by lego

The trademark Lego City Undercover was owned by Telltale games publishing.
Nintendo was solely a publisher and distributor who had moneyhatted the game on time exclusivity.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

- Do you eat shit?

This is the most accurate fact sheet I've ever seen.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh didn't know about their ownership there but it's iffy since they don't own LEGO.

This is more from the ground up IP they co-own with third party devs like Sin & Punishment.

They had people.actually work on it so it wasn't just a straight up publishing agreement but yeah, they didn't outright own the IP or anything.(for obvious reasons)

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
More Vanquish?

Is Anarchy Reigns coming back?

Basically, more Platinum that's multi-plat is good. Just don't skip PC is all I'm asking.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If W101 can be multi, why no Bayonetta 3?
i mean you can speculate all you want, but nintendo didn't want to publish w101 on switch, they are going to publish bayo 3 (confirmed exclusive) for switch, and they're paying for the game to be made. not hard to see the difference. unless you think nintendo is going to publish the game on other platforms?
it wouldn't even be up to platinum to publish bayo 3 (or 2) on PC or other platforms, that's a decision nintendo and sega have to make.