• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
i bought a couple PS+ keys off an eBay user who looks reputable, 3000 feedback or whatever, and I got the emails instantly after checkout. However, I had to download them from this sort of ZeroOne eCommerce site which looks like a drag-and-drop digital distribution framework for small businesses to deliver goods. It was fine until it said they could not verify that I was the authorized buyer and wanted me to upload my DL? im confused like what?? this seems like overkill for $100 worth of codes

anybody ever deal with this site? or go through this from eBay?
RQJfiGc.png

slZmCZc.png

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You should be fine. I've had to do this for vape juice/box mods before. I usually just backout the page because it's fucking bullshit and annoying, but if a deal is good, I'll do it.

I've complained to sellers & websites that do this that they're losing customers.

Jan 13, 2018
There is no way I'd upload a 1) hi-res pic of my govt-issued ID, and 2) a pic of me holding that ID up against my face.

Even if it is legit, with the way data breaches happen so often, it's just asking to eventually get placed into the hands of a bad actor. No need to make it easy for identity thieves.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Enter your social security number and credit card information for yikesification

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Does the eBay post say this will be required? Demand the code from the seller personally or threaten negative feedback and a chargeback. AFAIK digital code delivery isn't even allowed like this from sellers. I used to have to ship the gift card as well just in case

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Does the eBay post say this will be required? Demand the code from the seller personally or threaten negative feedback and a chargeback. AFAIK digital code delivery isn't even allowed like this from sellers. I used to have to ship the gift card as well just in case
This. In fact just contact eBay CS immediately. That is too much info that company doesn't need.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I've never heard a good argument for why eBay sellers legitimately need this information.

HawanaDigital

Sep 22, 2020
Hi Daria - this is a bit awkward.

I'm Omar, the CEO of ZeroOne eCommerce. We're a United States-based start-up focused on helping vendors distribute digital products instantly, affordably, and safely on all major eCommerce channels. We're fairly new - so we're failing forward to say the least and you've provided valuable feedback.

Given the nature of these products and the fact it is dispatched upon purchase, vendors deal with a significant amount of chargebacks from guests who have had their accounts compromised.

Here's an example, a vendor will get their stock for $50 gift card for $45 - they will then sell this on eBay for $52.99 with eBay taking 8% which is $4.29. Given the cost of $45 plus the eBay fees of $4.29, fees are now total $49.29. Leaving profit at $3.7 per code.

Now, let's say you have gone on a vacation and get your wallet stolen. The thief purchases this code, in the case there is no layer of security in place by the vendor the thief will successfully steal and uses the code, eBay will offer no coverage for the seller once the victim disputes the charge with their bank. Meaning the vendor will lose the $45 code cost, need to refund the $52.99, in addition to being hit with a $20 chargeback fee - leaving the total loss at $117.99 for a product where you'd profit only $3.7 per code. This means you'd need to sell 31 codes to breakeven from the loss - while hackers will intentionally target you if your systems aren't to par.

This is why in some cases when you're tagged as a higher risk guest you're asked to provide identification - which will only be reviewed by ZeroOne eCommerce trained agents as opposed to the vendor (who in this case had the spelling error). We did take your feedback and have added in an extra layer of verification, where a trained agent will review the transaction manually, and only after an initial pass will send a request for ID.

Happy to answer any questions you have - would love suggestions on creating a better environment for guests to purchase digital products.

Mar 27, 2018
that was a very polite and comprehensive reply. I now feel a little more comfortable verifying my ID for random things I've bought on the internet

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
This is definitely a first. I doubly love that the OP is banned.

Very thorough explanation though, gotta give them that. Hell no still to showing ID.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am now fully invested in this thread.

If somebody could unban Daria, that would be great.

Also, uh, 01ecommerce...just out of curiosity, how did you find this thread?

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
I had this same experience in buying a PS+ code on eBay that wanted me to do the same. I told them I wasn't going to do that and to refund my money or give me the code. I got the code.

Life is unfair.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Looking online ZeroOne eCommerce definitely seems legit. It seems likely something the banned OP did triggered their fraud verification system.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Looking online ZeroOne eCommerce definitely seems legit. It seems likely something the banned OP did triggered their fraud verification system.

Not necessarily true. In my case, it was a straight eBay to PayPal purchase in which they send you a separate email afterward with a link to their digital delivery site to get your code. I was flagged when trying to get my code. Since this email is sent to the email associated to the eBay account, I couldn't have done anything differently.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily true. In my case, it was a straight eBay to PayPal purchase in which they send you a separate email afterward with a link to their digital delivery site to get your code. I was flagged when trying to get my code. Since this email is sent to the email associated to the eBay account, I couldn't have done anything differently.

well on the plus side, looks like the ceo is here so you can get clarity now.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I understand the reasoning, I would not feel comfortable with this being required for purchase.