• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What server locale should we start the guild on?

• US - East

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • US - West

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • EU

Votes: 29 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Bought it. Watching the videos in the OP plus a few more before diving in though.

This is exciting. Like logging into my first MUD years ago.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
downloading right know, lets see how it is with my pimax

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
This is tempting me a lot but I'm kinda worried I'll just play it once or twice and then not touch it again lol

If I buy in though should I play it on PC or Quest 2(natively)? I have a gaming PC(9900k/3060) but I haven't done any PC->Quest stuff aside from just testing Airlink once or twice...not exactly sure what the best process is to do that

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
This is tempting me a lot but I'm kinda worried I'll just play it once or twice and then not touch it again lol

If I buy in though should I play it on PC or Quest 2? I have a gaming PC(9900k/3060) but I haven't done any PC->Quest stuff aside from just testing Airlink once or twice...not exactly sure what the best process is to do that

Quest and Oculus PC version are cross-buy so see if it works well for you on PC first.

JustJosh

Dec 11, 2018
Wisconsin, USA 🐮
Bought the game this morning and booted it up on Quest 2: after trying a few different usernames it said were taken, I think my account registered, but then it gave me errors about 'null unknown'. Checked the discord: ah, there's a bug with login and there's pushing out a fix.

Wait and hour, and try to log in again: now I only see a 'play' button, but pressing it just hands for about 30 seconds and then goes back to the login screen. Check the discord: ah, there's another bug affecting people that tried to make an account during the last bug, supposed to DM them.

DM's them and wait a bit. Discord now says there are too many to manually fix, and we have to wait for an automated fix to roll out sometime.

Game looks cool, just wish I could play!

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget to add perks + level your godstones, y'all.

Me upon figuring out how Godstones and Perks actually work:

mindblown23jpi.gif

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the benefits of VR MMORPGs is that you can't min/max or Google guides on the fly. Provides a sense of exploration that's actually pretty dope.

People are straight up helping each other out too. It's pretty fantastic.

Also, y'all, Focus UI in the options is the best. Makes it so opening the menu works like a classic JRPG, and blocks out the world around you while accessing it. Absolutely fantastic. No more getting the UI stuck on stuff.

Also, also... I was playing with Cenauru last night. Apparently the game has level sync in effect, in a manner very similar to Guild Wars 2. If you enter into a lower level zone, you're synced down and your party members can still play with you.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018

If I buy in though should I play it on PC or Quest 2(natively)? I have a gaming PC(9900k/3060) but I haven't done any PC->Quest stuff aside from just testing Airlink once or twice...not exactly sure what the best process is to do that
If you buy on Quest, you can "get" the game on the Oculus PC app. It's not automatic (or at least wasn't for me), but it is cross-buy.

There's not a straight answer to the best connection method, however. There are a lot of factors that can impact the performance of wirelessly connecting to your PC. Windows 11 for instance basically makes a wireless connection unviable right now for many people due to some bug somewhere. Another issue is also your WiFI in your home and/or Ethernet to your PC.

In terms of the safest option, getting a high-quality cable and linking directly to your PC is the best, but that's not cheap or necessarily convenient if your best VR space is nowhere near your PC like in my case. I already had a link cable to use when I was playing flight sim games since I was just sitting in my bed, but for motion stuff the best experience I had was actually down in my basement where there was no furniture or anything (though tracking was iffy based on the poor lighting down there at times).

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
My husband and I played till our Quest batteries died twice😂 we're a healing mage and essence mage, it'sfun to just run around and help people

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
As "bad" as this game is, it's the most fun I've had in years. It's probably the only game since Valheim that I just want to dive back into constantly.

OP
OP
Real

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like US - East is winning the poll, so I'll be trying to start a little community homebase on US - Squire - East. Server switching is unlimited, so folks outside the zone don't have to stay forever, but I figure it'll be good for us to connect.

Username is Real. Logging on if anyone wants to join

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
OK it looks like freaking Phantasy Star in here. I love it. Played for an hour or so messing around in the first area and finally just went to the city and joined a group when my internet resets. Awesome as hell, though. Feels exactly like you would think a VR MMO would. And good music!

Looks great on the Quest 2 natively, too!

I'm Dax Darble if you see me.

Dec 23, 2017

Godstones you equip gain experience, and they level up just like you do.

You get skill points to allocate to different skills, depending on the godstone which grant your abilities different traits like higher crit chance, more crit damage, lower cooldown, or a boost to your attack power for 2 seconds.

Very useful to find good godstones to equip and level up.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OK it looks like freaking Phantasy Star in here. I love it. Played for an hour or so messing around in the first area and finally just went to the city and joined a group when my internet resets. Awesome as hell, though. Feels exactly like you would think a VR MMO would. And good music!

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Dec 23, 2017

Wait until you level up enough to reach Radiant Coast, the music there is godlike. :)

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like US - East is winning the poll, so I'll be trying to start a little community homebase on US - Squire - East. Server switching is unlimited, so folks outside the zone don't have to stay forever, but I figure it'll be good for us to connect.

Username is Real. Logging on if anyone wants to join
I'll try switching over as soon as it lets me.

Jun 1, 2021
So I played a bit more. Made a mage, started off as a dps then switched to healer but I can't seem to find any of the guns that heal. Should the weapons automatically switch to healing versions?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
So I played a bit more. Made a mage, started off as a dps then switched to healer but I can't seem to find any of the guns that heal. Should the weapons automatically switch to healing versions?
As a healer you should be shooting yellow balls now instead of blue. They heal on impact with friendlies (only issue with being a healer is people walking in front of you whilst you're attacking something and absorbing the shots).

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017

Heard upthread that they auto switch. Just shoot folks and it heals them. Charge the gun and shoot the ground around you for an AOE heal.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I know, early days and all that blahblah but whenever there is an MMO I always like to think about new classes/jobs they could add.

A bow class seems obvious right? They've got the other two "easy" VR playstyles, swords and guns, bow is the other VR gameplay type that i feel could be added. Could have their job fantasy be based on hawkeye style trick arrows and hunter/ranger style trap godstones.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I know, early days and all that blahblah but whenever there is an MMO I always like to think about new classes/jobs they could add.

A bow class seems obvious right? They've got the other two "easy" VR playstyles, swords and guns, bow is the other VR gameplay type that i feel could be added. Could have their job fantasy be based on hawkeye style trick arrows and hunter/ranger style trap godstones.
I want to wield a two handed weapon. Great sword or axe etc. Something slow and powerful.

Also anyone want to make an Era Guild? I want to see how it functions.

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the benefits of VR MMORPGs is that you can't min/max or Google guides on the fly. Provides a sense of exploration that's actually pretty dope.

True on Quest perhaps, but SteamVR has a desktop view in its dashboard and a lot of VRChat veterans like myself are probably used to using XSToolkit or OVR Toolkit to get a desktop overlay. The bigger thing is that it's still launch and there's almost 0 such guides out there, and finding information on the Discord is a pain since it's 95% other people asking the same question and a buried single answer about it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I want to wield a two handed weapon. Great sword or axe etc. Something slow and powerful.
This was almost a turn-off for me actually, I'm rarely ever a fan of the dual swords classes and tend to stick to tanky/ bruiser classes with two-handed weapons. Thankfully the melee combat is still fun regardless so I'll just play blademaster until we get a heavy weapon class after barraging the devs with requests.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to sort your inventory? Currently all my armor is scattered everywhere, I'd like to see my stuff according to what my highest level armor I possess is.

What do you do with all your lower level gear?

OP
OP
Real

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to sort your inventory? Currently all my armor is scattered everywhere, I'd like to see my stuff according to what my highest level armor I possess is.

What do you do with all your lower level gear?

I haven't seen a sort function. Take your lower level gear and drag it to the red pile of dust in the top right of your inventory. It'll make them turn into enhance powder that you'll use to enhance your gear later on.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about taking the plunge, just a few questions. What's the difficulty like, is there a challenge here? Also, how is the combat, does it feel basic or is it pretty fun?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Also anyone want to make an Era Guild? I want to see how it functions.

This was almost a turn-off for me actually, I'm rarely ever a fan of the dual swords classes and tend to stick to tanky/ bruiser classes with two-handed weapons. Thankfully the melee combat is still fun regardless so I'll just play blademaster until we get a heavy weapon class after barraging the devs with requests.

Problematically, 2-handed melee weapons are actually a massive pain to make feel "good" in VR. I have my doubts that we'll see a class that uses them in the near future due to that fact. Either the heft/drag of them will feel bad because the fantasy for those weapons is slow, heavy hits, and communicating that through practically weightless controllers sucks. Or keeping both hands attached to the weapon will feel bad as you're swinging it around because your controller positioning won't naturally align with the ingame hand positioning due to the fact that you're not holding something equivalent irl. Blade and Sorcery 2-handers (the only melee game with decent 2-handed weapons imo) still feel very clunky.

Dual wielding works as it does because the fantasy is smooth, precise, weightless-feeling strikes that they can encourage with the charge system that's currently in place. Heavy weapons, not so much.

Bow weapons are a maybe, but they can create a comfort concern when it comes to the nock-and-release motion associated with them. Also aiming them is a lot harder than people tend to think.

1-handed weapons are much, much, much easier to implement and it's why damn near every melee game focuses on them. VR actually has to solve for some very complex class fantasy/comfort concerns when it comes to fantasy weaponry. Something like an MMO is even worse because they have to be balanced to a degree, so difficult to use weapons may not even be worth the time to implement if people find it too difficult to learn them properly. Even something like a shield can be hell to implement because you have to solve the question: "Why can't I just block all the time by holding my shield up?"