• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one is a better game

• Wind Waker

Votes: 299 27.3%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 797 72.7%

• Total voters

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Which one is a better 3D Zelda, my vote goes to Wind Waker for arguably being one of the best Zelda games ever. The art style was majestic and I personally love it, the Wii U version fixed some things (like the sailing) and it actually feels like a Zelda game with real dungeons and such.

Breath of the Wild is a beautiful game that made some good innovations when it comes to future sandbox games, but as a Zelda game, it is really lacking (no "true" dungeons , shrines don't count and most of them sucked), lack of enemy variety also hurts it , and the boss fights are boring. I am glad they are doing a sequel that hopefully improves on it and makes it more of a traditional Zelda experience.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is better in every regard except story and soundtrack.

How can you criticize Breath of the Wild for its lack of dungeons or enemy variety while praising Wind Waker, which suffers from those two issues on a much worse scale?

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

How can you criticize Breath of the Wild for its lack of dungeons or enemy variety while praising Wind Waker, which suffers from those two issues on a much worse scale?
WW feels a better for me , and as much praise as BotW gets , its really lacking compared to WW.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i haven't played BOTW, but judging what i know about it and the types of games i usually like, i can almost guarantee i would like Wind Waker more

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker has a better story and more memorable characters. Everything else goes to BotW. The fact that I can still here "KABOOM" in my mind, but I dont even remember the king's voice in BotW is a testament to that.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's easy to answer. One game is a top-tier 3D Zelda while the other one is the worst 3D Zelda.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the last thing they should do with BOTW2 is make it a "traditional" Zelda experience. That formula is tapped out.
Stick to the BOTW template, and flesh it out further. That's the future of the series.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Breath of the Wild is kinda like the MGSV of Zelda for me :p (please don't kill me).

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
TWW is the better Zelda game, BotW is the bette game, but I think these two are the two worst 3D Zeldas, so for me it is not exactly an interesting competition. TWW is unfinished, too easy and too empty, BotW is way too large, filled with busywork content, has an inverse difficulty curve and low complexity puzzles and dungeons.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I think the story and music is better in WW and the art style is more ingrained and consistent (like when the enemies die and the particles spawn) whereas BOTW uses a combination of cel-shaded stuff and things like rocks with realistic textures.

The temple design is also way better.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Wind Waker more, even with the crummy "Triforce Hunt" or whatever that slog in the middle was.

I loved sailing around and exploring the different islands, where as BotW had good exploration, the traversal drove me crazy sometime with the rain.

I liked my time with BotW when I played it for like 80-something hours, but I can't see myself ever going back to it, where I've beaten Wind Waker a few times.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Both have the worst dungeons in Zelda but Botw dungeons are atleast unique than boring wanker

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker has more charm and a better story.

Breath of the Wild wins in every other category and it's gameplay is 1 trillion times better.

Depends what you want.

I loved both.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wind Waker hurt because I was one of the people that liked its graphical style even back then but actually playing it is just awful and the HD version doesn't go far enough to fix all that's wrong with it. Easily the worst 3D Zelda so this is an easy one.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's easy to answer. One game is a top-tier 3D Zelda while the other one is the worst 3D Zelda.

don't worry, i know which is which

giphy.gif

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Trivially easy vote for BotW. Best Zelda vs. mid-tier Zelda.

Wind Waker is saved by its art style and personality. Without those it's kinda bland.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

I enjoyed BotW story and soundtrack far more. WW is a charming game worth playing but BotW is leagues ahead in every single way. It's funny, I thought of WW while playing BotW. In WW when you reach the underwater surface you get a moment to look across old Hyrule. I remember thinking 'THIS is the Zelda land I want to explore, not open world ocean". BotW actually gives us what WW only teased. I can't fathom why anyone would choose the tease over the realization, besides just being a contrarian.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I hope Breath of the Wild 2 has a more interesting world at least , Breath of the Wild 1 feels empty at times when I played it.

Sep 28, 2018
I never had any fun with Zelda games EXCEPT Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild... I guess I just don't enjoy the usual Zelda gameplay.

Breath of the Wild feels like it took a hell of a lot of inspiration from Shadow of the Colossus, especially when you unlock all the items in SotC like the parachute. I guess BotW is my favourite Zelda but Shadow of the Colossus is my favourite game in that genre.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
WindWaker easily. No other game elicits pure joy just by existing in that world like WW does.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
Wind Waker will always be one of my favorite Zelda games, but Breath of the Wild is above it for me. The gameplay is so much better and I had a lot more fun playing through it, compared to Wind Waker.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing Wind Waker does better than other Zeldas is its versions of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Everything else has been done (much) better in other Zelda games

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker and it's not even close.

I've changed a lot of my tune on BOTW but it's still a big sandbox with a nothing story of cardboard people where Wind Waker took the Zelda series to new heights.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll go with WW over BOTW since its more to my liking for Zelda games. Dungeons, story and Ganondolf are so much better in WW that I can see myself replaying it but I just don't see a replay on BOTW happening.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Wind Waker is my favorite game of all time. Compared to BOTW it has significantly better dungeons, better characters, better locations, and a better story. I significantly prefer Wind Waker's traditional Zelda offering to the changes BOTW made.

BOTW is my 3rd least favorite 3D Zelda and I hated how butchered the dungeons (or lack-there of) felt. The Guardians and Shrines were nowhere near memorable. The only thing I would say that's better about it is maybe the combat, but I also love how quirky it feels in WW, so. I enjoyed BOTW, but I'd significantly prefer replaying WW (or TP or OOT) to replaying it.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
100% more votes for botw but when reading the thread it would seem windwaker was the favourite. Just fining that interesting

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
If you thought Windwaker would win this poll then... But I voted Windwaker because the story, setting, art, music all really hold up well to this day. I like the dungeons even if they're not the best in the series. BotW does the exploration aspect a lot better and also has a beautiful art style. Both games are pretty ideal to me and BotW is probably better but I have a special connection with Windwaker as it was my first Zelda and I've joyfully replayed it many times.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find much of Breath of the Wild memorable. Wind Waker has a whole lot that I find very memorable moment to moment though.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
If you thought Windwaker would win this poll then... But I voted Windwaker because the story, setting, art, music all really hold up well to this day. I like the dungeons even if they're not the best in the game. BotW does the exploration aspect a lot better and also has a beautiful art style. Both games are pretty ideal to me and BotW is probably better but I have a special connection with Windwaker as it was my first Zelda and I've joyfully replayed it many times.
Ohh I knew Breath of the Wild would win , but I like that people are posting :)

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker by some distance, although it have the benefit of being the first Zelda game I beat.

Breath of the Wild is a fine enough game and I think the games that follow on from the BOTW formula have as good a shot as any of matching the love I have for Wind Waker, but there's nothing in BOTW specifically that I like more than in Wind Waker.

Jindrael

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also much prefering Wind Waker, I tried getting into BotW thrice by now and I didn't make it past killing 2 divine beasts each time.

Also saying that Wind Waker has the same Dungeon problem is something I just can't agree with, the dungeons in WW are miles ahead of what BotW has and I even think the island mysteries/puzzles etc. are more varied and interesting than the Trial thingies from BotW.

The worst part about WW is the triforce hunt (map hunt).
For me WW wins on story, charm, dungeons, bosses by a country mile.
The only thing that I find more interesting in BotW is the design