• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me this looks to default , clear that it's been created with the unreal engine.
Prefer much botw style. Or some other unique style.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
You are saying this like it's a bad thing
For me it is, I think TP is the ugliest Zelda game there is. There's areas that look decent-to-good (the dungeons mostly), but the semi-realistic style did the game no favors. A better realized version could work, but I really just prefer a more colorful and playful look. It's Zelda, not Lord of the Rings.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I mean sure it was probably pretty impressive for Nintendo hardware in 2011, but these days it gives off a "fan made UE4 demo" vibe.

I definitely have no interest in a Zelda game that looks like Twilight Princess 2 in a post-BotW world.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Agree with many posts that something is a little off about the way things look at that demo. But I do hope they take this direction in a future game once more.

I loved many parts of Twilight Princess, and it looked more 'alive' than this demo, if that makes sense. The more powerful hardware gets, the better you can pull of a realistic style and have it stand the test of time. Maybe for Switch 2, or whatever comes after that it'd be a good fit. In the meanwhile, I love the fact that NIntendo switches the art styles so often. BotW looks great too.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Probably in 2-3 decades, if you follow the progression of their graphics over the past generations.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Fuck yeah gritty Zelda, having to hold A to pull the arrows out and cauterise the wound with a lit torch.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
For me it is, I think TP is the ugliest Zelda game there is. There's areas that look decent-to-good (the dungeons mostly), but the semi-realistic style did the game no favors. A better realized version could work, but I really just prefer a more colorful and playful look. It's Zelda, not Lord of the Rings.

TP has the most nightmarish NPC's

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It does?

giphy.gif

tumblr_or82vxIW4L1u1ry24o2_500.gif

tumblr_psy2tjJ4lk1u1ry24o1_500.gif

amiibo-toys.gif
Damn. I need to replay this.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
This looks very ugly and uninspired so i hope not, but to be fair i think the same about some Zelda games (FSA, TP, PH, ST, ALBW) so i wouldn't be surprised.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
i would love a return to a TP art style. especially the twilight realm. that is such a unique place and art style and would love more

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually love how this looks and always have. And I completely forgot about it. Looks a lot better to me than most UE4 demos personally. I was pretty disappointed that E3 seeing this and Skyward Sword right next to each other, and knowing that SS was the Zelda game we were going to get.

BotW visuals are amazing, but I'd love to see a more "traditional" Zelda game that looks like this.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly prefer the Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild art style over this. But I wouldn't mind another crack at an art style similar to this / Twilight Princess

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Ghibli look works so well, I hope they stay with it and iterate on it.
Zelda will eventually change arstyles, as they always do, but the general style should stay as is imo.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well there's the Unreal tech demos that seem to go that route. I liked how it looked like but it didn't seem like an art style that I would find memorable. I'm ok if they don't pursue that as BotW blew me away

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I've liked every art style ever used in the 3D Zeldas so Nintendo can do what ever they want as far as I'm concerned. BoTW is just as beautiful as any other Zelda game imo so them using it for the sequel is cool with me. If they ever go back to the more realistic look I'd be happy too.

Oct 30, 2017
everyone please stop replying to this thread in case nintendo sees it and ever thinks it might possibly be something that'd find an audience.

in other words, god no. every "realistic" zelda has been ugly as hell, while the last game settled on a beautifully evocative art style that'll age well and work on any hardware.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
everyone please stop replying to this thread in case nintendo sees it and ever thinks it might possibly be something that'd find an audience.

in other words, god no. every "realistic" zelda has been ugly as hell, while the last game settled on a beautifully evocative art style that'll age well and work on any hardware.

When comparing to more realistic games from the GC, PS2, Xbox generation I think that Twilight Princess is a very good competition.The game is as dated as OG Wind Waker when comparing to games like Ni No Kuni 2 or even BOTW.
Of course it's a matter of taste, but I understand why Nintendo chose to use a new illumination on WW HD when I see pics of OG upscaled.

Oct 30, 2017
When comparing to more realistic games from the GC, PS2, Xbox generation I think that Twilight Princess is a very good competition.The game is as dated as OG Wind Waker when comparing to games like Ni No Kuni 2 or even BOTW.
Of course it's a matter of taste, but I understand why Nintendo chose to use a new illumination on WW HD when I see pics of OG upscaled.

yeah i don't agree with this at all. i think original wind waker looks better than the remaster (resolution aside), and sure ni no kuni 2 is better but that's mostly down to its more accomplished and inventive art direction. wind waker just uses very simple models and environments that would happily scale to the switch if that style were to be revived.

twilight princess (including HD) just looks incredibly dopey to me. the art style isn't appealing in the slightest, even though it was technically impressive for the gamecube. each to their own, for sure, but it's inconceivable to me that anyone would say it holds up better than wind waker, despite being several years older.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
yeah i don't agree with this at all. i think original wind waker looks better than the remaster (resolution aside), and sure ni no kuni 2 is better but that's mostly down to its more accomplished and inventive art direction. wind waker just uses very simple models and environments that would happily scale to the switch if that style were to be revived.

twilight princess (including HD) just looks incredibly dopey to me. the art style isn't appealing in the slightest, even though it was technically impressive for the gamecube. each to their own, for sure, but it's inconceivable to me that anyone would say it holds up better than wind waker, despite being several years older.
Yeah its a pretty apparent difference , fascinating how one artstyle holds up due to hiding its flaws with charming art.

Wind Waker HD>>>Twilight Princess HD

WWHD looks lovely, TP looks horrid

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I used to want a 'realistic' look for zelda but nowadays I couldn't care less about it, I'd rather see new varied art styles.

Plus it would look immediately dated if they went with a realistic tone, breath of the wild and wind waker will look just as great another decade from now, they have more of a timeless sheen, wheras twilight princess has only gotten uglier and uglier in time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it's what they should've done for TP HD. Giving the lighting/shading a total redo like they did TWW HD and it could look pretty close to this.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if they will change the artstyle again for Zelda Switch 2, i imagine they would try a more realistic look with advanced cel shaded effects, but still colorful.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina and Majora 3D do a better job of capturing fairytale realism without looking garish.
Nintendo should try to do this art style again in HD, cause these games hold up quite well in emulation:
1464164692-zelda-oot-1.png

44201831-8b35a280-a14a-11e8-8f0e-82a1e6605f40.png

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I'm fairly certain that both Aonuma and Miyamoto have gone on record saying that they really don't like realistic art styles for Zelda. Twilight Princess only looked the way it did because of the backlash to Wind Waker's art style, and besides, TP is pretty much universally agreed to be incredibly ugly today.

Speak for yourself.

TP in my opinion is the best styled Zelda and also in the opinion of many people. There is no Zelda game that has the atmosphere of TP.

BTW Aonuma considers TP his favorite Zelda game.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

About TP: HD I have to agree. But Nintendo had the potential to make something greater but chose not to. Even the tests they showed with the new lighting were better than the final result.

Last edited:

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Personally I hope not, because we already had one and it was (IMO) the among the worst of the 3D Zeldas and employed the least interesting and attractive art style the series has ever explored by a mile. This is basically just a slightly reworked Twilight Princess appearance with better lighting, and that style is better left in the past.
I remember Andre's TP HD review. Instead of looking at the game objectively he said it was a bad game because he didn't like it. Then he said that that is how reviews are supposed to be done.

You are supposed to try to be objective in reviews. E.g. I don't like ALLtP but I know objectively that it is a great game. I don't enjoy the Street Fighter games but I can't give them low scores because of that. Andre was way too wrong in his review.

It's like looking at a good looking person that you don't personally find attractive and then calling them ugly.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
hopefully not, the best part of BoTW success is the death of "ZeLdA nEeDs To LoOk ReAlIisTiC tO sElL mOrE" argument

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina and Majora 3D do a better job of capturing fairytale realism without looking garish.
Nintendo should try to do this art style again in HD, cause these games hold up quite well in emulation:
1464164692-zelda-oot-1.png

44201831-8b35a280-a14a-11e8-8f0e-82a1e6605f40.png
I would definitely be fine with this. Except for character and monster design(ok, oot is competition in this one...XD) where I think that TP excels every other Zelda game.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I do agree with those people who say that the demo looks bland and uninspired, but they can take what is there and make it more inspiring. We don't need every Zelda game to be bright or cell shaded. A realistic style which is stylized is hopefully coming in the future.

Jun 2, 2019
I hope we get another Zelda with TP art style, not because I like it or not (I do) but because as this E3 has proven again, Zelda fits with any art style.

Also they now have the hardware to make such Zelda shine. Take TP and add all the bells and whistles the Tegra X1 can provide, starting by PBR.

The game really changes

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe.

Here's another: will we ever see a Star Fox action adventure game again?

Maybe.

EloNoolah

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people get so hung up on these one-off Zelda tech demos? It looks just like all of those godawful "OOT RECREATED IN UNREAL ENGINE 4" videos from the last fifteen years. I'd take something unique and expressive like Wind Waker or BOTW over a game that has nothing going for it beyond lighting and sheer visual fidelity and will age like milk.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I remember Andre's TP HD review. Instead of looking at the game objectively he said it was a bad game because he didn't like it. Then he said that that is how reviews are supposed to be done.

You are supposed to try to be objective in reviews. E.g. I don't like ALLtP but I know objectively that it is a great game. I don't enjoy the Street Fighter games but I can't give them low scores because of that. Andre was way too wrong in his review.

It's like looking at a good looking person that you don't personally find attractive and then calling them ugly.

There's quite a bit to unpack here.

The first thing I want to say is there is no such thing as a fully objective review. Each of us can only ever approach a review of anything from the perspective of our own individual experiences and tastes, and that is actually precisely what gives reviews their value — the unique perspective they're produced from.

No one's review of anything should be taken as absolute, objective gospel. I encourage you to do a little digging and find critics whose gaming perspectives and tastes line up with your own, which will then help you make an informed decision about how much personal stock you should put into an individual critic's subjective views. It's not Andre's (or any of our) job to claim he likes TP when he doesn't, or to say it's an "objectively great game" if he thinks it isn't (and while I don't dislike it as much as he does, I agree with him in that TP isn't great).

I think it goes without saying that any verdicts we or other critics render are merely our opinions. They are not intended to be taken as fact, nor have we ever tried to pass them off as such. But we are well within our rights to say we don't like something and to express those views in a review, because the point of any review is to share an informed, opinionated perspective of something. It shouldn't need to be clarified in a review that its content is merely the informed opinion of the reviewer.

Also, you cite ALttP as an objectively great game, and I would personally agree with you there. But our thoughts that ALttP is objectively great are still our opinions at the end of the day. Otherwise, who's the gatekeeper on what's objectively great or not? Certainly not either of us. Believe it or not, there are people out there who don't think ALttP is all that great. Who are we to tell them they're objectively wrong? We can only say we think they are and back that opinion up with our perspective. What is and isn't objectively good or bad is not our (or any one person's) call to make, and thinking that way is IMO a very slippery slope.

If you're familiar with Andre's gaming tastes at all, you already likely know he didn't like OG TP either, so you should consider that perspective for his TP HD review. If you want to watch a more positive review of TP HD that lines up with your own opinion of it, then watch the review of a critic who is known to be a TP fan (or at least isn't known not to be a TP fan).

Differences in perspectives aside, though, thank you for having followed our content previously, even if you may not anymore. We always appreciate constructive feedback!

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The demo looks basic and very 90er demo to me. BotW looks more "mature" in comparison.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speak for yourself.

TP in my opinion is the best styled Zelda and also in the opinion of many people. There is no Zelda game that has the atmosphere of TP.

BTW Aonuma considers TP his favorite Zelda game.
The graphics have aged like milk and it's specifically due to the artstyle. Every 3D Zelda has a unique atmosphere, and for me (and this is an opinion also many people share, whatever that is supposed to mean) TP and Skyward Sword are the weakest of them while Majora's and Windwaker ooze theirs in every corner. And..

That's not how reviews work. You can objectively look at framrates and resolution, not gameplay, story or artstyle.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TP has the best artstyle of the franchise imo so I would be extremely happy if they made a Zelda game using the tech demo visuals. But I'm really glad with BotW's style too.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people get so hung up on these one-off Zelda tech demos? It looks just like all of those godawful "OOT RECREATED IN UNREAL ENGINE 4" videos from the last fifteen years. I'd take something unique and expressive like Wind Waker or BOTW over a game that has nothing going for it beyond lighting and sheer visual fidelity and will age like milk.

If was visually astonishing in 2011 before we had seen HD Nintendo games and almost a couple of years before we had seen PS4/XB1 games.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

You might want to rewatch it because your memory seems a bit faulty, as is that isn't at all a fair assessment of the review. I vividly remember going out of my way to try and consider the 3 main demographics for that game. I'm also reasonably confident I never called it a "bad game" in the video, though I very much did deliver my authentic feelings on it (which I do believe is how reviews should be done).

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
You might want to rewatch it because your memory seems a bit faulty, as is that isn't at all a fair assessment of the review. I vividly remember going out of my way to try and consider the 3 main demographics for that game. I'm also reasonably confident I never called it a "bad game" in the video, though I very much did deliver my authentic feelings on it (which I do believe is how reviews should be done).

Firstly, let me thank you for the great channel and amazing analysis videos. Your work is brilliant.

Regarding TP:

I do remember you talking about the different demographics, fair enough; but you did use the word 'Meh' in regards to the game in your review. I remember the video with Nintendaan, which was very negative on the game.

(which I do believe is how reviews should be done).

And this is the crux of the matter. I think a reviewer should look at the game from the potential perspective of the wider audience. I find OoT a real chore to play (even when I first played it) but I can use my judgement to acknowledge that it is possibly the GOAT. If a reviewer uses their own personal preferences in a public review, then they might give the audience a wrong impression of a game. When reviewing a game a reviewer must ask: "will my audience like it?"

I also wonder if writing the IGN guide made you dislike the game even more.