• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a secret that SS is the most linear 3D Zelda.
(for the record, it's not a negative for me, as I love both games)

That actually sounds wonderful to me. Breath of the Wild was too open and aimless to hold my interest for more than a couple of hours.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Now we have to deal with 5 months of people pretending it's not a super bad game, fantastic. Anyone saying they fixed the worst aspect...sure, but that's disingenuous about how close to as bad several other aspects were.

If skyward sword is a "super bad" game, you must have only played a literal handful of masterpieces all your life.

Nov 13, 2017
I skipped SS because I missed out on the bundle that came with the Wii Motion Plus. By the time I decided I wanted to play it, the Wii U was out and WMP's were really hard to find new. I also didn't like how ingrained the motion controls were, since I'm left handed, so I just decided it would be the one Zelda game I didn't play. I'm excited to try SS now that I don't have to deal with motion controls. So while you all might be upset that it's $60 and not much of an upgrade, I'm happy to pay that price to not have to deal with motion controls, and to have it on a current console.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Missed opportunity really. This release should have come with Ganon's Fury, a separate open world mode where Ganon is in the center of the map wrecking havoc. Oh wait...

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I prefer to wait for a better experience, Open world games are kinda hard to replay for me, so its very likely that I will only play BOTW once.

I also have less time to play games now because of work, so I am not in a hurry.

Though I find it kinda funny that I am gonna replay Skyward Sword on switch instead of playing BOTW lol.
Just to let you know, BotW really isn't rough in the framerate department. It's "rough" in the exact same way that OoT, Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, and WWHD are. And that's basically just, frame drops once in a blue moon. If you have played any of those games, and have a good experience, then the same will be for BotW. It only struggles in a single area, that doesn't have any combat or gameplay in it, kind of like Forest Haven in Wind Waker.

Also Breath of the Wild is not really a traditional open world game. It's not really long if you don't want it to be, and its structure really puts it more in line with the feeling of something a little more linear. You can just have a choice of whether you want to do it, or not.

Anywho back to the topic. In regards to the price. Are we really saying Skyward Sword has no value here? Like, even extrapolating from market value from the Wii game. A used copy is what? $45. Paying an extra $15 dollars for a new sealed copy, on a current system (in HD) makes sense to me. Do I wish that the price was cheaper? Of course. But Era, let's please not draw ire to people who want to pick up this game. 1. Its their money. 2. Life is way too fucking short to be drawing ire at what people want or don't want. Let them enjoy their game.

We also don't know what additional content and changes will come to the game. I am sure they will have a new challenge dungeon or something like that.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer to wait for a better experience, Open world games are kinda hard to replay for me, so its very likely that I will only play BOTW once.

I also have less time to play games now because of work, so I am not in a hurry.

Though I find it kinda funny that I am gonna replay Skyward Sword on switch instead of playing BOTW lol.

BOTW is absolutely fantastic. If you're in a hurry, you can just follow the main quest line and you'll still have a satisfying experience with the game (though you will probably be tempted to stray off the path eventually). SS was my favorite Zelda until BOTW and it lives up to the hype.

Deleted member 59

Skyward Sword made me completely drop and forget about Skyrim when it launched, which was a big ask as i was completely absorbed by the latter, but SS ended up being my favourite gaming experience that years holiday.

Yes, there's no real over world.
Yes, the game has some sequences that are tedious. (The musical notes and repeated "boss" fight)
Yes, Fi interrupted your game more than Navi ever did.

But regardless of the, i still thought this was a fantastic game with a lovely artstyle and visuals. The story and characters was what dragged me in initially, with a good Zelda, a great Impa and the legendary Groose. I loved skyloft, felt like a nice cosy home to return to after dungeons. Talking about dungeons, SS has some of the best 3D dungeons in the series including the
sandship, ancient cistern and mining facility
plus there are some great boss designs and fights to boot.

I wasn't gonna buy this day 1, but coming up with a reply to this thread made me dig deep into my memories and made me remember how much i actually liked it, so I've just pre-ordered it too, I'm part of the problem ha!

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is you don't realize the discourse ends up being irrelevant no matter which side of the coin you fall on:
1) If you want the product but voice your displeasure and end up buying it regardless - Discourse ends up being irrelevant because your participation (alongside many others) will condition Nintendo's practices to continue selling the product at 60 dollars. Also, if more people are participating then consider the value proposition (too many people seem to think Resetera is a barometer for game value when the public is much more varied than that)
2) If you want the product, and value it as being worth $60 - Said discourse ends up not mattering for obvious reasons.

Furthermore, based on my added response, there's really no purpose to the added discourse. People have been complaining about the price points ever since the beginning of the 3DS and Wii U eras. And frankly, the logic attached have always never made sense, particularly comparing Nintendo to other companies with zero awareness of these being different entities with different business models. And if didn't change then, the odds of it changing now are slim to none.

I'd make a few responses to this

1) measuring the value of discourse (or most anything, really) by its capacity to change a company's practices seems pretty narrow minded to me

2) not purchasing a product frequently fails to change things, whereas feedback (i.e. discourse) frequently results in changes - whatever the final tally, the "is it relevant?" line of thinking ends up being more or less a wash, no?

3) something can be enduring and worth criticizing at the same time, so the fact that Nintendo has been doing this for a minute doesn't seem all that meaningful to me

in general, I can just think of a ton of reasons to let people speak up on their displeasure whether or not they've purchased this or that video game at some point in time

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly wouldn't pay more than $20-$30 for an upressed Wii game but more power to those who will. I just hope this doesn't set a precedent for other publishers to pull shit like this. Certainly doesn't help that i disliked this game when it came out, really had to force myself to finish it.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
That's just beautiful. Well deserved Nintendo. All that effort has paid off!

Other devs should look at Nintendo how to do this. Great job!!!

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I find the arguments about the pricing to be tiresome. I think Nintendo has clearly taken a stance to not drop the prices of their products for years to kinda send a message to their customers that you'll be waiting for a damn long time if you're expecting to buy their games for cheap. And it works.

Most companies discount their games within weeks. I honestly feel like an idiot buying third party games at launch. Unless it's something I really really want. I don't think it's anti consumer or anything. Companies just choose different strategies to maximize their profits. For the record, I'm probably not buying Skyward Sword and I've never even played the game. Lol.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I find the arguments about the pricing to be tiresome. I think Nintendo has clearly taken a stance to not drop the prices of their products for years to kinda send a message to their customers that you'll be waiting for a damn long time if you're expecting to buy their games for cheap. And it works.

Most companies discount their games within weeks. I honestly feel like an idiot buying third party games at launch. Unless it's something I really really want. I don't think it's anti consumer or anything. Companies just choose different strategies to maximize their profits. For the record, I'm probably not buying Skyward Sword and I've never even played the game. Lol.

Im not going to argue that Nintendo should do things differently or that they're wrong for doing things how they do. I have just stopped buying their games essentially. For me $60 is more than I'm willing to spend on games especially one like this.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Im not going to argue that Nintendo should do things differently or that they're wrong for doing things how they do. I have just stopped buying their games essentially. For me $60 is more than I'm willing to spend on games especially one like this.
Yeah. I'm not really defending Nintendo or anything. I'm just saying that Nintendo has clearly chosen this pricing strategy, for better or for worse. It's something that they've done for years. I'm sure they've lost plenty of sales because of it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
With regard to the price debate, I look at stuff like Fenix Rising on Switch, that was under half of it's exact same launch price 3 weeks later as retailers moved to shift piles of excess copies. While it's great to be able to grab third party games from the big western AAA publishers on the cheap very quickly if you avoid them at launch, it does mean that I rarely end up playing them, as they'll be in the bargain bin before long and I always end up deciding to wait a little longer. It's more of a result of the initial benefits offered to retailers for buying in bulk to increase the profit on an individual unit, and then being stuck with thousands of excess copies that they end up slashing the price of due to warehouse and merchandising space for products having its own value. It's certainly not any wish for it being fairer for the customer to get something cheap as a title ages, and reducing the price accordingly.

Regarding ports of older big software titles like this, I didn't enjoy SS at all due to the motion sword controls being awful for me as a left hander (only Kid Icarus was worse) even though I enjoyed many other elements, and I'm sceptical over whether this right-stick-scheme will help with that, but I don't blame a company for a long term plan of wanting what they make to hold it's value. Especially when this looks like a fair bit of thought has gone into reworking and re-presenting it for the various Switch options. It's still a huge adventure game, that we're used to many games being half the price in months and having near-zero value a couple of years later, that's not exactly healthy for a hobby where these projects take 5 years to make either.

Last edited:

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised to be honest. Zelda games are super popular and this one was a huge highlight in the Nintendo direct. I'm pretty excited to try this one out.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd make a few responses to this

1) measuring the value of discourse (or most anything, really) by its capacity to change a company's practices seems pretty narrow minded to me

2) not purchasing a product frequently fails to change things, whereas feedback (i.e. discourse) frequently results in changes - whatever the final tally, the "is it relevant?" line of thinking ends up being more or less a wash, no?

3) something can be enduring and worth criticizing at the same time, so the fact that Nintendo has been doing this for a minute doesn't seem all that meaningful to me

1) I'm not saying it's the only way, but generally, people who engage in this discourse are trying to change the status quo (hence why I brought up the common argument being "Sony/MS never charges 60 dollars for ports, therefore Nintendo shouldn't!!!"). Also, you technically contradict this point with your 2nd point, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this.

2) This is not true at all, for the same reason that I said, and above and beyond: the complaints have existed for upwards of nearly 10 years (3DS/Wii U) with no major results to show for the level of complaints accrued. And that's because the sales tally speaks immensely. Look at the OP for example, preorders of SSHD are selling out in countries and/or topping retailers top selling lists. If the negative discourse had as much effect as you think it does, we wouldn't see $60 price tag for the game in the first place.

Furthermore, we have historical examples for a myriad of different purchasing levels. For instance, how many times have we lamented a company for not continuing with a franchise because of poor sales figures (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, etc.)? How many times have sequels been dashed because the first game didn't sell as well as they had anticipated? So no, sales figures speaks louder than you think. If it hurts a company's bottom line, they are going to be disincentivized.

3) I'm not sure what your point is with this. The only way something stops enduring is if that criticism turns into something that is actionable and creates the results that lead toward disincentivization.

If all you're doing is complaining and contributing to the problem, then you're wasting time complaining in the first place. It would be like intentionally and continually dousing gas on an open flame, and then complaining that firefighters cannot put out the fire quickly enough.

in general, I can just think of a ton of reasons to let people speak up on their displeasure whether or not they've purchased this or that video game at some point in time

So what are they? Your reasons don't say much beyond "because reasons."

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I remember really liking Skyward Sword at release. Not sure I'll buy this, at least not day one. But having an easy way to replay in the cards will be nice.

More relevant to the thread... how does a preorder to a regular edition of a non-limited game sell out? Even temporarily?

Same way the limited ones sell out.

> get stock allocated
> put up preorders
> people pre order until allocated stock is fulfilled

It'll probably becomes available again once more stock is allocated

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
While there are many core fans buying this, I think people underrate how many Switch owners are people who identify as "The Switch is my first Nintendo console since *insert pre-Wii console*." This is likely a first time experience for a lot of people. The Switch is breaking sales records how it is for a reason beyond core Nintendo fans or casuals. This platform is there most appealing ever and likely has brought back people who skipped Wii and Wii U.

I can attest to this at least. My last console from Nintendo was the GameCube. I didn't want a Wii because Motion Controls and I didn't know Wii U was a thing until about two years before Switch came out.

I'm excited to see what it's like Honestly, and it will hold me over until BOTW2 comes out.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Like, even extrapolating from market value from the Wii game. A used copy is what? $45. Paying an extra $15 dollars for a new sealed copy, on a current system (in HD) makes sense to me.
?
I just found it used for 10 bucks after a quick Google search. It's a wii game, it's not worth shit anymore. Full price for a HD port of a wii game is overpriced, plain and simple. But Nintendo does whatever they want and people will buy anyway. From an investor point of view it makes sense, from a consumer point of view that's an insult.

And BotW absolutely dips frames regularly, saying it happens once in a blue moon is wrong. It's not a stable game when talking about framerate. Maybe you are not very sensible to it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can attest to this at least. My last console from Nintendo was the GameCube. I didn't want a Wii because Motion Controls and I didn't know Wii U was a thing until about two years before Switch came out.

I'm excited to see what it's like Honestly, and it will hold me over until BOTW2 comes out.
I think this is all very true, especially as, even at the time, Skyward Sword was a very late Wii release that was more expensive and required an accessory. While many of Era's Nintendo fans will have played it, it sold, what, 3.5m copies? I'd expect it'll be new to a huge majority of the Switch audience, not to mention it's the first time you can play it on a portable too.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense it's the worst selling mainline 3D Zelda so alot of people never played it. Also based on the 1:1 motion controls it offers something that no other Zelda game, or not many games in general offer.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword, has way better dungeons and story than Botw, I prefer the more sweeping and epic soundtrack as well. I don't think "anti BOTW" is completely a bad thing.
But era said it was the worst Zelda. 🤔
TWW is the worst 3D Zelda because of how barren and boring the ocean was. Once you rescue your sister, you have to find just 2 sages and do the triforce quest, the game stops being decent.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
?
I just found it used for 10 bucks after a quick Google search. It's a wii game, it's not worth shit anymore. Full price for a HD port of a wii game is overpriced, plain and simple. But Nintendo does whatever they want and people will buy anyway. From an investor point of view it makes sense, from a consumer point of view that's an insult.

And BotW absolutely dips frames regularly, saying it happens once in a blue moon is wrong. It's not a stable game when talking about framerate. Maybe you are not very sensible to it.
Why do you think most people would rather pay full price for a new version reworked for switch, rather than mess around finding an old Wii copy on eBay? The vast majority of the Switch audience don't have a Wii and motionplus sitting around, all of which makes the new copy a vast increase in accessibility and portability compared to the expense of trying to get an old copy of Skyward Sword up and running today. I ended up buying Skyrim on Switch just as being able to play on the train made it accessible and I didn't even have a PS3 anymore, which was where I played the original. Cant say I felt 'insulted' as a consumer to have the option to buy a critically acclaimed game a second time with updated controls on new, more portable hardware at full price. If I did, I just wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Consumers definitely seem to be okay with Nintendo's pricing. Disappointing.

Skyward Sword is the only Zelda I never finished. Not sure if I will play it again on Switch.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you think most people would rather pay full price for a new version reworked for switch, rather than mess around finding an old Wii copy on eBay? The vast majority of the Switch audience don't have a Wii and motionplus sitting around, all of which makes the new copy a vast increase in accessibility and portability compared to the expense of trying to get an old copy of Skyward Sword up and running today.
Well yes no shit :D I understand people buying the game on switch, that's great, just saying that full price is way too much for this, especially when you compare that to what other devs and editors are doing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
People keep bringing up the "incredible" dungeons in this, but it's the same old hat Zelda has been doing for 20-30 years but more linearly and at a much more laborious pace, except occasionally you use motion controls to roll a ball, fly a little drone or do some other thing that could've been done much better with a controller. And don't even with that switch to get "a whole new future version of a dungeon" thing, which was was not nearly as mind shattering as it sounds.

Needless to say, I don't understand the infatuation. It'll be interesting to hear people's new impressions in 2021, and it will be fun to be able to tell people who consider BotW "the worst" to go play with Skyward Sword instead. What a terrible fate 🙈

Last edited:

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'm interested in seeing the full list of changes/QoL additions.

I remember really disliking how much it held your hand, but I'd be willing to give it another try if they do more than a simple port/res bump.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why are people surprised at the pricing, Nintendo has always been this way and they won't change. If you don't want to pay the full price wait for a sale or buy it from somewhere that will offer a discount or used.

I'm definitely going to pick it up again, and like Mario the games don't all have to be the same, providing more variety. SS is a fantastic game and I can't wait to play it again.

Zelda games are hugely popular, even before BOTW, so it isn't riding the wave of that game at all.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then what is it going to accomplish?
It's not going to change anything on Nintendo's end but it's still discussion. That's kind of the point of forums, in case you didn't know.

No one is in the wrong for saying "I like Skyward Sword, but this really should have been 10-20 dollars cheaper".

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested in replaying this and testing out the buttons-only control option, but at the same time I am not looking forward to the padding or frequent Fi interruptions. I remember enjoying the overall game but really disliking the padding, Fi, and inconsistent motion controls. I'm eager to re-visit this game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The only thing worse is someone white knighting for a (bad) game.

No, that actually is not worse than telling someone they are pretending they liked a game with a 93 on Metacritic.

And thankfully, what you described isn't happening in this thread.

(Also, cute edit on your post to try and make it not as terrible.)

Last edited:

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I already got my fill on the game thanks to a used copy a couple of years ago, so there's very little chance I'll double-dip, but I'll say this:

SS is a good-ass game IMO. It does have a couple of moments of eye-rolling padding, but the general "gamey-ness" of the adventure kept me hooked for pretty much all of its runtime.
As for the dreaded motion controls, I liked them! Took a while to get used to, but they give the game a unique edge, there's a 90% chance I would go with them again if I were to buy the HD version.

Deleted member 69771

I love how people who have definitely worked on video games before and 100% know the effort that went into developing this in the back end are saying this is low effort/lazy.