• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Literally started laughing out loud when Link moved and that camera shake began, what the hell

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017

This is by no means flawless, but by far the best "HD" remake of anything Ocarina of Time that I've seen.

I agree, I remember watching this one a while ago and being impressed at how they kept the general atmosphere and art direction of the game. Of course, it took many years to make. I don't think people realize the insane amount of effort these fan recreations take.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Village looks good yes, but that will never be Kakariko village to me. It just looks like a regular medieval village.

Also Link's Ocarina of Time design doesn't go well with the realistic looking village at all.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Love the graphics but after watching that video:

tenor.gif

Dat camera

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Barf. While nice from a technical point of view, i guess, the art style and direction is... bad. This man needs to be hired, but not by Nintendo.

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
This should be sent to all those thinking that a more powerful switch is not needed because Nintendo is not about powerful machines blah blah blah

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
There's something odd about the foliage, like there's too much of it as if the town had been abandoned for years or something. Also Link's model looks awful.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
The man who did this is good, but, do people really think Nintendo is not capable of making this? Even if they did hire the man, do people actually think they would make something like this given the Switch hardware?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
My only question is what will the Unreal Engine 4 guy do now that Unreal Engine 5 guy took over. 🤔

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
More commentary: the way the town theme got dressed and drawn out up completely erases the humble nature of that village. It really takes away this kind of make-do-with-what-we-can atmosphere.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
We will get here someday, I believe it!

Although I love N64, WW, and BotW aesthetic, so I don't need hyperrealism from Zelda.

whats with the horrendous boatcam. amazing art tho
I like how he chose to implement a drunk cam, very cool.
That drunk camera is making me want to throw up. WHY.
For real. That shit causes me to almost throw up.

Similar to the reason the new Tomb Raiders and Avengers game are unplayable for me, get so damn nauseous. Curse you Crystal Dynamics!

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Seriously? The art direction the environment is fine, its basically ocarina of time updated with more detail and atmosphere.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
The man who did this is good, but, do people really think Nintendo is not capable of making this? Even if they did hire the man, do people actually think they would make something like this given the Switch hardware?
I should hope most people understand this. Nintendo chooses graphical style based on their hardware capabilities and practicalities of releasing a huge game. They're certainly not constrained by the talent of their artists and engineers.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it, doesn't look like a Nintendo game at all.

I mean, props to This Man for having the talente to put something like this together, but I don't get Zelda vibes from it.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
New Unreal Engine, new Ocarina of Time UE remake fan project.

I hope this trend never ends.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Not to be a party pooper as clearly a lot of work has went into this, but looks generic and devoid of style.

That's the issue with a lot of fan upgrades and texture remasters, and hell even a number of officially made ones too. Upping the fidelity doesn't automatically up the quality, both the N64 and 3DS versions of OoT Kakariko are superior to this.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
That sure is Unreal Engine, it's lacking in style

Geometry is fine but it's way too busy and noisy
Link looks like ass

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That video is … very full of itself.

I understand the novelty aspect of seeing a Zelda environment being remade as if a random outsourcer built it with current gen tech but it really is nothing out of the ordinary for any standard 3D artist in the industry.

Things like this are fun ways to learn how to model and work with shaders in an engine + it gives you internet fame but to the people saying "hire this man" like, hire him for what?
  • Unreal 5 knowledge? He barely displays any, they all look like default settings. No use to Nintendo
  • Game making? He hasnt made anything
  • 3D art? This isnt a good art portfolio, Id need to look at the meshes and textures, but Im not seeing much modeling or texturing skill here and theres a good chance they just got the assets from an asset repo and didn't make them themselves
  • Lighting/Shader artist? Lots of bloom and very basic lighting. Nothing there
  • Art Direction? LOL. Its just rocks, grass, wood, a lot of yellow light and using bloom like its Fable. Nothing about this is unique or interesting.
Like, theres almost nothing hirable about this. It takes time to put together, thats about it.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
That video is … very full of itself.

I understand the novelty aspect of seeing a Zelda environment being remade as if a random outsourcer built it with current gen tech but it really is nothing out of the ordinary for any standard 3D artist in the industry.

Things like this are fun ways to learn how to model and work with shaders in an engine + it gives you internet fame but to the peoppe saying "hire this man" like, hire him for what?
  • Unreal 5 knowledge? He barely displays any, they all look like default settings. No use to Nintendo
  • Game making? He hasnt made anything
  • 3D art? This isnt a good art portfolio, Id need to look at the meshes and textures, but Im not seeing much modeling or texturing skill here and theres a good chance they just got the assets from an asset repo and didn't make them themselves
  • Lighting/Shader artist? Lots of bloom and very basic lighting. Nothing there
  • Art Direction? LOL. Its just rocks, grass, wood, a pot of yellow light and using bloom like its Fable. Nothing about this is unique or interesting.

Thank you for this post, took the words out of my mouth without sounding as harsh as I would have sounded.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Would live a good remake on a powerful new Nintendo home console (not the Switch). But this style isn't it. I do appreciate the work that went into it. A talented person. Artdirection-wise it's a bit of a mismatch imo.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I never pictured Kakariko looking like this as a kid. This makes me think of Skyrim and western RPGs like that, not Zelda

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this post, took the words out of my mouth without sounding as harsh as I would have sounded.

I always feel like a dick being a "well actually this sucks" guy but its really funny how much skill and talent people attribute to the wrong things (and viceversa)

Like, no wonder people think Kojima does everything if this is how much they know about game making. The only thing this person has done is the camera and its the one thing people say its bad :P