• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I don't really want a remake. The fact that every single screen is a little puzzle to be solved goes a long way with Awakening and I feel like adding scrolling would kind of lessen that feeling of wondering what you're going to flick to next.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd love this.

Be nice if they can shorten the message when you can't lift a stone. That's literally all I'd want changed; it's a great game.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Link's Awakening is one of my favorite games ever. A remake would be great, but as someone already said, the single screen concept should stay.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The best you're going to get
Eh... I'm not feeling it. Some of the phrasing is off-time from the original and there's too much European orchestration where I mentioned more of a Caribbean focus. To me it sounds like it belongs more in LBW (reminded me immediately of the second version of the Lorule Field theme):

This doesn't have the bombast, and the musicians don't have their chops quite up to par to perform it flawlessly, but I love the timbre and think it fits the tone of the game. Of course you'd want more orchestration than just a marimba; this lacks the energy that a fuller instrumentation would provide. I'm more focused on timbre and tone than exactly what the arrangement is:

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_od8rpax2Lx1sq0cvdo2_1280.gif
tumblr_od8rpax2Lx1sq0cvdo3_1280.gif

I know how you feel OP.

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
This game makes me so nostalgic! It was my first Zelda, and I was 8 years old when I received it for christmas. Didn't understand much of it at first, but slowly made progress over the following year. And the soundtrack is so goooooood. Tal Tal Heights is one of my favourite songs.

Would love a remake/remaster.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Stuck? You know Link's Awakening is still an incredible game which has aged insanely well. The pixel art and artstyle is gorgeous, it runs at 60 FPS and even if you don't want to play it on original Hardware you can still play it on emulator.
We don't really need a remake in my opinion and I don't think it's "stuck" on the GB, sorry OP.

You can play it on the GB classic mini that will be released later this year.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seemed a no-brainer to do a remake with the ALBW engine & assets.

Surprise 3DS swan song?

Stuck? You know Link's Awakening is still an incredible game which has aged insanely well. The pixel art and artstyle is gorgeous, it runs at 60 FPS and even if you don't want to play it on original Hardware you can still play it on emulator.
We don't really need a remake in my opinion and I don't think it's "stuck" on the GB, sorry OP.

You can play it on the GB classic mini that will be released later this year.

The only real issue is the controls being hamstrung by the limited inputs.

tumblr_od8rpax2Lx1sq0cvdo2_1280.gif
tumblr_od8rpax2Lx1sq0cvdo3_1280.gif

I know how you feel OP.

tumblr_lsi42yBzQl1qgiie0.gif

This is one of the worst-looking things I've ever seen.

This is so much better:

zelda__link_s_awakening_remake_dx_by_jdavis1186-d6zyalp.png

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I must have missed the part where any of these were remade.

OOT 3D, MM3D?

I guess you could argue that they're remasters more than remakes, but they're also what the OP is asking for in a remake for LA (at least when they stop being insane, remaking any of the 2d zeldas as a 3d zelda is a daft idea in general), so...

Oct 27, 2017
Played it on 3DS via VC. Obviously some elements are dated, what GB game isn't, but wow what a masterful experience. The story is great, the music is superb, excellent dungeon and overworld design. I was thoroughly impressed.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
One of my favourite games of all time, was my best Zelda game until Breath of the Wild. I usually play it once a year and for me it still looks fine as it is

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
Link's Awakening is the greatest video game ever made.

I'm drooling over the thought of seeing it with gorgeous modern graphics, but at the same time I'm almost positive they'd do something to screw up the experience.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
No, Zelda games do no need remakes. It's pointless. The effort put into redoing an old Zelda game with brand new modern assets is a waste of resources when that can be used towards making more assets for a new Zelda instead. There is no need to redo perfection. Link's Awakening is by far the best Zelda game and it is still very replayable today. It is available on the 3DS, and eventually will be available on the Switch. It doesn't even need color. The original is the best version.

I completely agree.

In the case of Link's Awakening part of the charm is the graphics (preferably the original greyscales) and the music and sound effects that are unique to the Game Boy. A totally unnecessary remake would lose both of those highly important elements.

bossrush

Dec 20, 2017
Germany
Ah man, one of my all time favs. I would prefer a A Link Between Worlds treatment. The game is fine as it is on the GBC.

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see why people want a remake of Link's Awakening.

It's my second all time favorite game (the first being Terranigma and the third Turrican II), and I'll cherish it till the end. I don't feel the need of a remake, nor a reimagination because it's almost perfect as it is.

But, like the Nostalgia Critic said about The Last Airbender movie : a remake, good or bad, can't destroy the original. So, I'm not against the idea of a remake. I don't feel the need at all, but I'm not against it.

In my opinion, a Zelda game that could need a big meaty remake is Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Could be perfect in a BotW vibe.

Hell, even BotW use four of the eight spells of Zelda II :
SHIELD : Daruk's power.
JUMP : Revali's power.
HEAL : Mipha's power.
THUNDER : Urbosa's power.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind seeing a re-imagining of this game either, it's really good. Seeing the Link/Marin relationship potentially get the Link/Zelda BOTW treatment would be fantastic since I'm a sucker for anything Marin.

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
It's insane that a 25 year old Game Boy game still has as much emotional impact as any of the 3D Zelda titles, if not more.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
No, Zelda games do no need remakes. It's pointless. The effort put into redoing an old Zelda game with brand new modern assets is a waste of resources when that can be used towards making more assets for a new Zelda instead. There is no need to redo perfection. Link's Awakening is by far the best Zelda game and it is still very replayable today. It is available on the 3DS, and eventually will be available on the Switch. It doesn't even need color. The original is the best version.
Yeah, I agree. The game is pretty much per-

You got a Piece
of Power! You
can feel the
energy flowing
through you!

-fect the way way it is. There's absolute-

You've got a
Guardian Acorn!
It will reduce
the damage you
take by half!

-ly no-

Wow! This looks
pretty heavy!
You won't be
able to lift it
with just your
bare hands...

-thing they could-

This rock has
many cracks...
There must be
some way to
shatter it...

-poss-

Oh? What a weird
object! There
must be some way
to tackle this
obstacle.

-ibly improve up-

Brrrr... This is
a block of solid
ice! It's very
cold!

-on in any-

NYAH NYAH! You
can't hurt me as
long as I have
my bottle!

-way.

Kidding aside, for all the complaining people have made about "handholding" in Zelda games, Link's Awakening is the only game in the series where it was prevalent and tedious enough to get on my nerves. The game could also seriously use some QoL improvements like making the sword and shield their own buttons so you don't have to swap equipment so much. The iron boots in OoT ain't got nothin on LA's menu management time sink.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It should get the REmake treatment.

Except without the 'remaking' part of it. Port it, all the time. And make a big deal about mentioning it like Capcom do every time they roll out REMake. It's absolutely fine as is, it just needs more exposure than it gets, being a GameBoy title that sadly sits in the same era as LttP and OoT.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Link's Awakening does deserve a remake or sequel. It's my favorite 2D zelda. It has an incredible amount of style and personality. The music is gorgeous. The story was quite touching and the island itself had a kind of magic to it that gave it a ton of atmosphere.

I would love to have this on switch. What is the rumor im hearing about? I never saw that one!

Deleted member 36718

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
This is so much better:

zelda__link_s_awakening_remake_dx_by_jdavis1186-d6zyalp.png

Ew.... No thanks. Looks like a cheap mobile game that just ripped out the tileset of the original and vectorized it (complete with the awful color palette of the DX version). The added details on those relatively simply shaped overworld objects reminds me of those HD texture pack mods for early polygonal 3D games, and the Link sprite is very soulless and jarring. I very much prefer the other mockup, even if it's not all that great.

I personally wouldn't really want to see a remake of the game. I really like the feel of the original, it feels tiny but huge at the same time because of how it was built for the Game Boy's screen. I found A Link Between Worlds' art style to be awful as well, so I don't think I'd get much out of revamped visuals. The only changes I'd like to see to this game are the controls and some minor quality of life changes (annoying repetitive text pop ups removal).

Last edited:

TheMirai

Oct 28, 2017
Every "here you go, I fixed it" post in this thread is exactly why a remake of Z:LA shouldn't ever happen. It's perfect the way it is.

Kapus

Oct 27, 2017
Under your bed
I dunno, I'm kind of fine with Link's Awakening as is. Even my favorite Zelda titles (Oracles and Minish Cap) I don't really want remakes of. I love them but I'd rather see something fresh and new with the Zelda series rather than enhanced ports/remakes. Keep marching forward, I say.

I'd definitely play it if they made one, but it's not on my wishlist.

Paul Murphy

Dec 14, 2017
Link's Awakening used to be my favourite Zelda title (before BOTW) and I'd love to experience it all over again, but honestly I'd prefer a sequel in the same universe.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd prefer they did a direct sequel along the lines of A Link Between Worlds.

Link's Reawakening or something.
I think Link's Nightmare is a better name. It would be cool if there was a new gimmick like mosaic Link in ALBW, maybe a twist could every NPC has their own dreams, so there's like 30 weird shrines overall in each character's head. Inception. :)

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Link's Awakening would be a suitable way for Nintendo to say goodbye to its lineage of dedicated handheld consoles. Not that 3DS looks like dying yet. Well, 2DS anyway. Super Mario Land 2 remake for 2019!

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only bad thing about the Gameboy Color Zeldas was the fact that you only had two buttons.
And that says a lot. Those games are great. I'm currently replaying Oracle of Seasons.

Gameboy Zelda's are one of my childhood treasures that will always have a special place in my heart

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not every game shall be remade; Link's awakening is still great and enjoyable to play today, it's not like those early 3d games who aged badly.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
No remake, especially in 2.5D, please. LA is pretty good as it is, still.

I wouldn't mind a sequel though. Preferrably once more in 2D and with strong limitations in place to keep the dev team squirming and inventive. Also for Minish Cap and the Oracle games, while we're at it. Bonus: Designed for a mobile console audience that can and will suspend the game at the drop of a hat. We already have the heavy duty console Zeldas. Their sequels will come, no matter what. I wish for the whimsical, smallish, portable Zeldas to get their own niche in the Nintendo catalogue.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the 3DS rumour is false and they announce it for Switch.

I don't want to play on a shitty 240p anymore.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, just keep porting it forward so it's on current hardware like they've been doing. No Zelda game needs to be remade.

Oct 27, 2017
"Stuck"?

It's fine. Not everything needs a modern coat of paint, the sound and sprite work still holds up for me.

I'd snap up a remake like a coke fiend going for his last fix, but that isn't the point.
Lol for me i just want an enhanced version of the game that uses more than 2 face buttons . This isnt a fault of the game becuSe it was just the nature of the hardware that its on but ,having to constanly switch items due to only 2 buttons its annoying

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Can't believe people are saying ALBW looked bad. It's your opinion, I know, but.... how?
The game looks striking to me. Especially in the cinematic cutscenes when it's not just top down. The art style is cute and the use of colors is great.

A lot of people saying Link's Awakening is already great therefore it doesn't need a remake but I'd strongly disagree. Yes you may still love the original but it's aged like any gameboy game has and with a proper remake can be expanded and improved upon.
Especially since it's one of the more unique settings. You may want Nintendo to focus on a new Zelda game, but unless Nintendo reuses the engine from BOTW to make a new entry faster, a more indie-tier 3D top down Zelda game isn't gonna make that new big entry come out any later than it already will do.

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
I just want the 3DS VC release to make use of some of the additional buttons available.

At the very least, let me save without having to press A B Start Select.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Reminder that if you're not interested in a remake you can just skip it. I just think the setting and story should be explored further now that the tech allows it. It won't erase the original.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
The game could do with a big overhaul. Make it less obtuse, better item management, expanded areas. I think its time it got a remake.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Some advantages of the remake

- Expanding the areas, for example you get Animal Village and it feels more like a small park than a village.

- Making it more clear what you're suppose to do, it was good for us back in the day who could only afford a few games, but the trade quests (which would be called filler nowadays) are kind of annoying to progress the plot. Having a note book might help.

- Great new orchestration (and new tracks) Gameboy music is a bit of a ear sore nowadays.