• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This why I took matters into my own hands during my first BOTW playthrough. Cus I know Nintendo would never give it to me.

C7-EBD41-D-09-A4-4-A3-C-89-C2-C52583-ADA1-FA.jpg
Really nice look. Was that hard to do?

Jan 30, 2021
Why does there need to be a reason, though. There's no lore reason Zelda has to be anything besides a princess, and even that, she sometimes isn't (see WW).
Don't get me wrong, I don't think you have ill intent, but you gotta look at what views led you to think that a character being black needs to have a lore reason.
The first thing that comes to mind is that it simply used to be like this in Zelda since the beginning, i.e. characters being white because Nintendo drew inspiration from popular Western fantasy works like The Lord of the Rings or King Arthur.

But you are right, there doesn't need to be an explicit lore reason in order to portray a character like Zelda in a different way than usual.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Neoxon's "A Celebration of Black Characters in Games" thread, it would be great if Nintendo did something like this with one of their existing IPs like Zelda in addition to creating new IPs with more POC.

It seems even more needed seeing the ridiculous reactions in here just from an opinion/suggestion, along with people quoting the same "As a Black man" trope/joke post from the first page over and over vs actually having to engage in the discussion.

Fact of the matter is, Link and Zelda are usually reincarnations. They are designed differently most installments, and until recently you have been allowed to name Link whatever the fuck you want in the first place. Changing their skin color is not about to cause any issues with canon. Only thing it's going to do is upset diehards who think Link and Zelda being light-skinned is somehow integral to their personality without being able to explain why they think that is.

Agreed, especially on Link being customizable. Personally I would prefer the ability to customize Link and Zelda beyond names (skin, hair, face, etc...). Making one of the reincarnations in a future game POC would be great too, but it likely would allow Nintendo to then go back to "status quo" for the next reincarnation/system cycle vs using their other IPs without reincarnation/new IPs and spin off IPs.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This why I took matters into my own hands during my first BOTW playthrough. Cus I know Nintendo would never give it to me.

C7-EBD41-D-09-A4-4-A3-C-89-C2-C52583-ADA1-FA.jpg

I don't mean to sound patronizing if I do: But can I ask how it changed your playthrough/how it made you feel?
I love it though. This enough should be proof alone how easy it is to see the concept working; I hate to see people push back. Especially a character like Link.

I don't normally enjoy silent protags, but I admitted I really loved being able to play as a female avatar in Xenoblade X (and I love this series, but especially loved playing 'me' compared to the other two games that star young men as its leads haha)

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
There are very few characters if any really at all that have an in lore reason to be white or black or whatever. Ganondorf may be Gerudo but he has faaaaar less reincarnations than Zelda or Link have had. The same Ganon has come back multiple times right? Is there even a lore reason that says the male Gerudo always turns out to be a shit lord? There really isn't a reason to always have him be Gerudo unless they simply keep using the current Ganondorf, which they seem to be using in BotW2.

In regards to specifically Link I have thought for a long time that they should at least give the option to change his skin, eye, and hair color at the start of the game. Like why the fuck not?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The first thing that comes to mind is that it simply used to be like this in Zelda since the beginning, i.e. characters being white because Nintendo drew inspiration from popular Western fantasy works like The Lord of the Rings or King Arthur.

But you are right, there doesn't need to be an explicit lore reason in order to portray a character like Zelda in a different way than usual.
I get that the law of intertia hits hard for stuff like this, but in franchises where characters are ACTUALLY not the same person, but a reincarnation, I think the whole "keep it the same" thing needs to go out the window anyway. I get not wanting Nathan Drake to look super different in different games that takes place within one world, one timeline, one lifespan, but I feel like the Zelda games luckily aren't restrictive like that.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
While I think it's a good and feasible idea, I would 100% prefere a new IP with more varied representation from the main cast, my reason is that if they make it in a new Zelda game it will be (probably) encapsulated in that only game and next probably will be back to the og designs. A new IP if it has the full backing from Nintendo could become a main stay.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
It's definitely something they could do and it would be great if they did, but I don't think any one franchise has an obligation to include a specific skin colour in it.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like Zelda is just one person across all games, it's just a reincarnation of the holder of the trifoce or wisdom, just like Link has Courage and Ganon Power.

Also, being a holder doesn't mean you have to look exactly as the previous holders I guess. Afaik there is nothing in lore that says so.

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
Really nice look. Was that hard to do?

Nah, CEMU has an optional modpack that includes mods for BOTW that let you customize all kinds of stuff pretty seamlessly.

I don't mean to sound patronizing if I do: But can I ask how it changed your playthrough/how it made you feel?
I love it though. This enough should be proof alone how easy it is to see the concept working. Especially a character like Link.

I don't normally enjoy silent protags, but I admitted I really loved being able to play as a female avatar in Xenoblade X (and I love this series, but especially loved playing 'me' compared to the other two games that star young men as its leads haha)

Not a problem, it's like you said, the idea of playing 'me' feels amazing. Not to say I cannot connect with characters that are not black, I can. But when you have blank slate/silent protagonists I just question why the character couldn't just be custom then lol. But yeah, it just immerses me in the world even more seeing somebody of my complexion bumbling around in these worlds, especially as an older brother who has seen his siblings opt to not make/choose black characters because they find them unappealing/don't consider them beautiful/etc.

Personally, I grew up with games like the sims and rpgs that let me change the color of my characters skin at the bare minimum. So I'm pretty biased from the jump anyway 😂

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Zelda is just one person across all games, it's just a reincarnation of the holder of the trifoce or wisdom, just like Link has Courage and Ganon Power.

Also, being a holder doesn't mean you have to look exactly as the previous holders I guess. Afaik there is nothing in lore that says so.
I mean characters straight up have different hair and eye colors. Skin color shouldn't be an issue at all either.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this happening, sadly. Nintendo is very much a "give you a product, take it or leave it" kind of company, and the fact that the article has to emphasize "in America" when it comes to racial inequalities all but assures its wishes are aimed for deaf ears. Asking the most "traditional" of Japanese companies to usurp tradition will only lead to frustration when you're reminded in the eleventh game made after your personal wishes that they don't give a shit. The only solution to this is if they ever make a Zelda game where you can choose who Link and Zelda look at the start in a character creator system. This is your only hope and prayer going forward.

This is the same company that has a committee to determine if new Mario characters are "Mario enough" from the perspective of easily identifiable brand imagery. Do you really think they're going to make main characters who weren't black before black now?

Jun 19, 2020
User banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around representation
Nintendo is not a American company. Stop imposing your values on everyone on this planet.

Oct 27, 2017
The lore of the Zelda universe doesn't present any reason why Zelda should be black in any game.
And why doesn't that go for white Zelda? Is there some "hidden" lore we don't know of that means she has to be white?

I know you are banned but what the fuck?
Nintendo is not a American company. Stop imposing your values on everyone on this planet.
Nintendo sells itself as this "For Everyone" company. Wanting representation isn't American exclusive thing.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

I don't know if this argument can be used to defend a company that has had no problem mining the global "Black/Brown people as villainous, barbaric, and/or sexualized" trope this entire time.

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
Nintendo has a whole American branch whose President was a Haitian man from the Bronx for a cool decade+ . Reggie ain't walk for you hogs to be in here acting like Big Tendo don't know black people exist.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't y'all tired of this pandering shit? Yes, let's take the easiest way out by taking an established character, with NO history of a black experience instead of Nintendo creating NEW black characters with their own legend and stories.

this suggestion is not inclusion.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Aren't y'all tired of this pandering shit? Yes, let's take the easiest way out by taking an established character, with NO history of a black experience instead of Nintendo creating NEW black characters with their own legend and stories.

Nah, it's fine.

It doesn't make any sense that the bloodline would only have white people in it.

Also, we need more indigenous race characters in The Legend of Zelda series.

Oct 27, 2017

Every Zelda has new characters. BOTW Link isn't the same as OOT Link. Same goes to Zelda, Ganon or even Impa.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

Why not both?

Because, I mean, what white experience does Zelda have?

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I posted this in another thread,
No idea Nintendo's particular management here,
But it's very common sort of ideology ingrained in both business and creatives:

I've worked with a lot of game developers, and, particularly the non-indie side, when creating new characters, the instinctual default is always "male, white," in many cases. It's not even a discussion, they just get drawn that way. The Character gets designed based on whatever game-design need there is, whatever the request in either the pitch or the roster, in this "default" state.

then, any variant - gender, color - is perceived as "making a statement" - so then team leads will come in and evaluate the risk/value of that statement. This discussion doesn't happen on the "default" character, which pretty much just follows standard "is this character cohesive with the art style of the world" type feedback.

obviously that's not a universal truth by any stretch, it's just I've seen it happen so many times it's always struck me as insanely odd.

"why can't that <whatever> character be dark skinned?" - "oh. Well, we didn't think of that. we don't want to make a statement with him"

but "we do need some diversity, so let's make THIS roster character <black, brown, whatever> since we need a "spear character" anyway"

in this "but it's making a statement!" mentality, you can't just "make Zelda black" without press and consumers focusing on it, so the studio and publisher have teams sit and decide in advance if "the risk" is worth the attention. Or just go with the default, and sell what you know works.

it's really very tiring.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I posted this in another thread,
No idea Nintendo's particular management here,
But it's very common sort of ideology ingrained in both business and creatives:

I've worked with a lot of game developers, and, particularly the non-indie side, when creating new characters, the instinctual default is always "male, white," in many cases. It's not even a discussion, they just get drawn that way. The Character gets designed based on whatever game-design need there is, whatever the request in either the pitch or the roster, in this "default" state.

then, any variant - gender, color - is perceived as "making a statement" - so then team leads will come in and evaluate the risk/value of that statement. This discussion doesn't happen on the "default" character, which pretty much just follows standard "is this character cohesive with the art style of the world" type feedback.

obviously that's not a universal truth by any stretch, it's just I've seen it happen so many times it's always struck me as insanely odd.

"why can't that <whatever> character be dark skinned?" - "oh. Well, we didn't think of that. we don't want to make a statement with him"

in this "but it's making a statement!" mentality, you can't just "make Zelda black" without press and consumers focusing on it, so the studio and publisher have teams sit and decide in advance if "the risk" is worth the attention. Or just go with the default, and sell what you know works.

it's really very tiring.
I think there should be Indigenous characters especially (Native American and so on).

Seriously, God help anyone that's Indigenous; they have to deal with being singled out all the time, it seems.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

Hum this is the hardest way out.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
There should literally be an Indigenous Zelda.

I'm serious.

Let's have multiple Zeldas of different ethnicities.

Heck, I'd be cool with that.

At the heart of Zelda is a reincarnation/chosen-one story. I think it would only benefit the world of Zelda to...well, explore its world.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Heck, I'd be cool with that.

At the heart of Zelda is a reincarnation/chosen-one story. I think it would only benefit the world of Zelda to...well, explore its world.
I agree!

And we already have Native American or Indigenous influences in Zelda starting with at least Majora's Mask. So let's have more of that.

Too many Europeans in fantasy, smdh

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020

Nintendo creating NEW black characters
fe1.png

Jokes aside, I do agree with you, but in this case the characters literally be reincarnating damn near every game dawg. They coulda easily gone the way of avatar but I guess Link's look is too marketable.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
fe1.png

Jokes aside, I do agree with you, but in this case the characters literally be reincarnating damn near every game dawg. They coulda easily gone the way of avatar but I guess Link's look is too marketable.
Well, I mean, both sides are right.

We need NEW non-white characters and NEW incarnations of white characters that are non-white.

I mean, why not both?