• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It doesn't bother me if they were to make Zelda or Link black, but I think it would be far more interesting if they were to introduce a new character in a neighboring kingdom with a black warrior princess.

I feel it can be kind of weird to just take a character and change them though, Miles Morales is 1000% more interesting as a character than if they were just to make Peter Parker black, but Nick Fury is much better now that he is black. So it can work, I don't know.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, never even thought about it until now, but since you got these long ass lineages of Zeldas, like, one king or queen of Hyrule marrying a black Hylian along the way should be obvious. You can do a black Link as well since he's like, basically a reincarnation or the person chosen to be the hero by the gods or whatever. Absolutely no reason to lock the Zelda characters into being white every game.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why not. It does not matter what form Link, Zelda or Ganon take because they are all tied to the Tri-Force either way. I would welcome a black Zelda.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'm not sure why when black people ask for black representation, other minorities feel like they...can't?

If anyone wanted to claim Tetra as brown, they're free to do so and I would support that, nor would I characterize it as dismissive of black people. In general, I, nor this thread, nor other Black Era members who agree with this one author's premise are getting in the way of other groups asserting the kind of reclamation and representation they want to say. Hell, I would take a Zelda game that actually leans into an East Asian culture, because there's no reason why it has to remain rooted in the basic Medieval get-up.

There's no reason to make this thread into one that's exclusionary. Y'all have free reign to make your cases too.
Make a thread about lack of representation of other races.

I think what they mean is that whenever this topic arises around other PoC groups it doesn't get half as many interactions or support (which, looking at Resetera and general social media, it's extremely on point with reality). That's why they make that point.

I do think however this thread is not the place for it, since the topic is specific to black women.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I can see why most of the people who are against the race change thing, because it would be a temporary measure, it wouldn't be permanent. the character would go back to their original race over time, look what happened with DC and wally west they race changed him to make him the new wally west new kid flash only to bring back the old white one in the comics. people want new characters that will stay for a long time not a character who would change race temporarily, they wan permanent diversity not temporary diversity

yes, but society can do both.

The issue I have with being against it, is that we know the privilege of having a legacy does in our capitalist society/market place and we know the privilege certain races have had in establishing "their" characters. I think the most efficient way to resolve race issues in our society is to do both.

The idea of being against something like this suggests to me that the person doesn't care about the current climate or can't accept the market realities. In any case, it's silly. Let's do both.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I understand some people having the problem here with how the character will just be thought of as "the black Zelda" as opposed to having their own characters.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sorta drives me nuts when it comes to a lot of Japanese media...the insistance of "it's just a tan" is...so WEIRD. I wish they'd commit

ZkonNXGl.jpg

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I think Zelda being black would be really nice tbh. Link too, but I think I'd only want black Link if they went back to the green tunic so he could fit in better in with the previous Links, otherwise he won't even look like Link anymore (assuming he actually looked black and not just Link but tanned). BotW Link looked ""fine"" without the tunic cause his appearance is super close to the other Links we had before, but a black one without the tunic would just look like a brand new character and at that point might as well just make Link completely customizable imo.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I understand some people having the problem here with how the character will just be thought of as "the black Zelda" as opposed to having their own characters.
Also we know it would likely just be a one off and they would get to the usual or something different for the next games.
Thats what im personally more of a fan of new original characters that stand on their own and can built up their legacy.

Hell a company like Nintendo might introduce a Black Zelda while also introducing a weird gameplay gimmick and then never bother with a dark skinned princess because the game underperformed for whatever reason.

It sounds good in theory but its oft a be careful what you wish for situation, because inclusion of that kind without the right approach can be used as a scapegoat if thing dont turn out well.

There is so much that could be done.....

wonaph

Feb 17, 2018
This is an interesting conversation, and I'm totally neutral on the answer to the main question. If every Zelda game going forward, all the characters were different races, fine by me. Literally doesn't matter to the gameplay of the games. But it does raise interesting questions, which POC in this thread have alluded or stated to, about re-coloring existing characters not being what diversity actually is.

Brings me back to something Toni Morrison talked about all the time -- that art (whether it's novels or, in this case, video games) is supposed to be a doorway, not a mirror. That art is supposed to transport you to new ideas, not simply reflect what you already know.

And finally, specific to Zelda... I have always thought about characters in the Zelda games as Japanese. Aside from the Gorons and other non-humanoid characters and groups, I always assumed Zelda and Link and Impa and other Hylians and Sheikah as Japanese... not white or caucasian or whatever. I mean, these games are developed almost exclusively by Japanese people.

So if they were to recreate the characters going forward as another Earth race (let's say Black) as a mode of diversification or representation... like, who would make that game? Black Japanese Nintendo staff? Outsource it to a team of Black developers at another company? And, if "representation" is the goal of this effort... would this Black Hylian culture have to represent Black American life? Or Black central African life? Or Black Caribbean life? What exactly does simply darkening the skin color of some of the characters of a Japanese game accomplish?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think what they mean is that whenever this topic arises around other PoC groups it doesn't get half as many interactions or support (which, looking at Resetera and general social media, it's extremely on point with reality). That's why they make that point.

I do think however this thread is not the place for it, since the topic is specific to black women.

That's what they're getting at though. People will come into a thread talking about an article specifically asking for more black rep, saying what about other minorities, when instead they could just simply make a thread on that if they wanted to.

Always kinda rubbed me the wrong way, because while obviously all minorities could use way more representation, sometimes it comes across as people implying the black community needs to "share the wealth". But the reality is that even though black people are doing increasingly better, we still have a long way to go in terms of representation in media, and we only got to where we are because we keep bringing it up.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what they're getting at though. People will come into a thread talking about an article specifically asking for more black rep, saying what about other minorities, when instead they could just simply make a thread on that if they wanted to.

Always kinda rubbed me the wrong way, because while obviously all minorities could use way more representation, sometimes it comes across as people implying the black community needs to "share the wealth". But the reality is that even though black people are doing increasingly better, we still have a long way to go in terms of representation in media, and we only got to where we are because we keep bringing it up.
A bunch of Gina Rodriguez types lol

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Insert that Paul Mooney quote.

Nov 17, 2017
There is a reason why some IP's and brands might benefit from a race swap diversity move and its purely based on popularity and the overall acceptance of general audiences.

Just think about it for a second.

Theres alot of patronizing goin on in the thread and virtue signaling. But lets be 100% honest and real for a sec.... If we actually did get that New IP with a Black Lead, id very much argue that not even half of yall in this thread right now would even be interested or pick it up, despite what you saying/posting.

We can simply look at existing history to support this behavior. Look at how Hollywood treated black films for the longest. They were considered " Black Films" not films for general audiences. Right off the bat, they were considered to have a smaller audience pull simply by containing black characters as the majority of the cast

There is a very real paradox that happens within this discussion. When it comes to socialization, Black People in the US have been forced to socialize with White People and their entertainment. We've seen nothing but White Characters since the inception of entertainment and Hollywood, and the few bits of diversity that we ever got were terribly tinted with bigotry and white racial bias until as of recent modern times. This is why some of these IPs and Brands are so big to begin with... There was no other choice of the matter

Luke was always going to be a white man. Captain America was damn sure going to be a white man. James Bond was always going to be nothing but a white man. There was 0 discussion in the matter creatively and Black Audiences were always going to accept it because thats the way shit is.

However, White People don't have to consume their entertainment this way. There is an endless amount of content supporting white leads and identity that entirely lack diversity. If a White viewer doesnt want to particiapte with diverse entertainment. They legitimately don't have to. They can always opt out, there is always more content available. The same cannot be said for the reverse. At All.

Marvel and Star Wars are always going to be huge brands because at their time of inception, all those characters were going to be white without debate. Everyone was going to accept this, it was the status quo. Imagine yourself to be in the rooms at the time of creation of these IP's. Imagine yourself suggesting some of these main characters be black.... or gasp.... even a black woman....

What reaction do you expect to have? Laughed out the room? You bet.

These brands have decades of attachment and success associated with them. tried and true products, so of course there would be backlash on messing with the "identity" of the brand however there still is a place for it

Because if we want to be realistic and truthful about our society. Diversity will have to be injected into long standing popular brands AND supplemented with New IP in order to find true acceptance because if it simply gets relegated to New IP, it will simply be ignored by white audiences.

This will be even more exacerbated in the Gaming World, because "gamers" tend to be troglodytes on race to begin with

That Black New IP yall speak about supporting? Here's the criticisms:

"I cant identify with the MC, it turned me off"
"The game itself sucks, not gonna support a shitty game just because the lead is black"
"I know nothing about this game, Ill wait till it has some buzz before I give it attention"
"I've never heard of the development team etc etc etc"
"Its not the genre of gameplay I enjoy"

Every excuse in the book pulled out to justify why they shouldnt give a damn. Would you expect to hear any of those complaints for a Nintendo made black Zelda game? Probably not, blows all those excuses out the water.
I don't quite understand your argument here. Like will certain people turn their nose up at a game with a black lead? Ok. But why is that any reason not to make one anyway?

I don't know if those quotes you made all work as you say.

"I cant identify with the MC, it turned me off"
- People who say this sort of thing will also say it about an establish IP changing to have a black MC. So honestly, who cares what they think?

"The game itself sucks, not gonna support a shitty game just because the lead is black"
- I mean, yeah, if the game is bad it won't sell well. Once again, doesn't stop someone from saying the Zelda game with a black Zelda is bad. Make a good, fun game with a black lead. Don't make it a budget title just to say you did it. People will play it.

"I know nothing about this game, Ill wait till it has some buzz before I give it attention"
- This is really on Nintendo to market and advertise the game. This is also a challenge for any new IP.

"I've never heard of the development team etc etc etc"
- We're talking about a new Nintendo IP here.

"Its not the genre of gameplay I enjoy"
- Again, this is unavoidable. Some people don't enjoy action adventure games like Zelda.

The way I see it, people who make excuses not to buy a game or watch a show/movie because they perceive it as for black people are going to have the same attitude about an established IP doing the same thing.There's no reason to concern yourself with them.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

I think both our points still stand.

A thread about black representation is not the place to do whataboutism about representation for other ethnic minorities (not sure if that's the term I should use?). The thread is a topic about specifically black representation.

It is also true that most of the Internet cares way less and gives way less support and interactions to threads, tweets and voices from other minorities. Maybe because the Anglo culture that permeates Internet and products now, idk.

In any case, and back at topic at hand, seeing how the Zelda saga is literally about reincarnation, I am genuinely not sure of what problems could arise from this. Hell, you could do a new series so to speak with a new culture at the centre, not just the characters. Why not set the whole game inside and with elements of the black culture and do a series on it? Besides the unfortunate obvious rejection from a section of GamErs I can't see any other objections, as long as it's made respectfully.

Jan 30, 2021
User Banned (3 months): Dismissing concerns of representation in gaming across multiple posts, account in junior phase
I like Nintendo games because they don't attempt to make political statements in favor of or against anything.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
Strong, strong disagree on this one. I mean I'd welcome a black Zelda with open arms, no problem at all, but the truth here is that black people don't need to be pandered to by re-coloring fictional characters by the multinational companies that own the IPs.

Black people don't need to receive validation from a bunch of middle-aged Japanese guys to be important. Black history is world history, and black culture is world culture. And just to make myself clear, this doesn't only apply to Black Americans.

Our society as a whole is 50 years behind where we should be on equality and civil rights. I do believe that entertainment media has the power to shape up the public discourse over those issues in meaningful ways, but arguing that black people need to see color-swapped fictional characters to not feel inferior is stupid, short-sighted and it only adds useless fluff to the discourse.

I'm not surprised that the author of the piece sounds confused, so confused as to concoct this embarrassing bullshit of a sentence:
"Zelda and Link always being portrayed as white suggests that only white people are capable of protecting the world and frankly that they rightfully control it".

When you think that's what the game is suggesting, you need to get off your computer and re-calibrate your entire shit.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

I know you typed a lot more, but I wanted to focus on this for a particular reason. Despite being the "default name", IIRC "Link" was chosen as the default name simply because the avatar was supposed to be a "link" between the player/gamer and the world you are exploring. It's only been in the latest games that they've started to give Link an actual personality (or try to) and make them their own character.

It would absolutely fit in the spirit of the game for "Link" to be whoever the player imagines them to be. Regardless of race, regardless of gender.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
When you think that's what the game is suggesting, you need to get off your computer and re-calibrate your entire shit.
When your white heroes are constantly battling a dark-skinned, Arabic-themed villain who is destined to be evil and lose constantly, even when he might have a point sometimes, and on top of that people feel strangely attached to the heroes being white despite never actually providing a justification as to why this attachment is of the utmost importance, it is perfectly fine to say that the series is engaging in colorism, even if it's not consciously intended by Nintendo.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I'm black and I just think no. This is not how diversity should be handled.

Stop with the painting existing characters to a different colour. That's not how it should be.

Black panther is the prime example of how it should be done a character with his own lore and origin not a recolouring of existing characters.

I definitely don't agree with this thread at all.
100% agreed.
Diversity isn't about recoloring your characters, FFS.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
How does this make sense in the context of TLOZ? Link and Zelda are always different characters. WW Zelda is a different character than OoT Zelda and both are different characters than BotW Zelda who are all different from the original LOZ Zelda. Why couldn't the royal family become mixed after all these millennia and have a dark skinned princess?

Link isn't Mexican and color swapping him brown to come from some Hylian ruins with faux Aztec aesthetics doesn't change that.

Nintendo needs the Disney Coco treatment for a new property.

Even Emperors New Grove was a step in the right direction.

Needs to be implemented from the ground up.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
And finally, specific to Zelda... I have always thought about characters in the Zelda games as Japanese. Aside from the Gorons and other non-humanoid characters and groups, I always assumed Zelda and Link and Impa and other Hylians and Sheikah as Japanese... not white or caucasian or whatever. I mean, these games are developed almost exclusively by Japanese people.
Except the Gerudos

So if they were to recreate the characters going forward as another Earth race (let's say Black) as a mode of diversification or representation... like, who would make that game? Black Japanese Nintendo staff? Outsource it to a team of Black developers at another company? And, if "representation" is the goal of this effort... would this Black Hylian culture have to represent Black American life? Or Black central African life? Or Black Caribbean life? What exactly does simply darkening the skin color of some of the characters of a Japanese game accomplish?
I don't think introducing more skin tones necessitates bringing in cultural or political implications from real life. They could either add another new race/civilization, make the existing Hylian population more diverse, have Gerudos be less segregated from Hylians, etc. There's plenty of conceivable options.

I'm not surprised that the author of the piece sounds confused, so confused as to concoct this embarrassing bullshit of a sentence:
"Zelda and Link always being portrayed as white suggests that only white people are capable of protecting the world and frankly that they rightfully control it".

It's not saying that directly but it is absolutely contributing to the larger trend in media that has these undertones. I'd argue the message is even worse than usual in Zelda because of the reincarnation/destiny aspect of the lore.

I wonder if people would get mad at super pale blond Ganondorf 🤔

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
We already had Link in a game where you can put them in a cheerleader outfit or Zelda's dress and call them trans or NB and I've seen enough talk from friends to know some people did just that so sure why not. It's typically different Links and Zeldas in different versions of Hyrule so there's really no reason against it.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
This is Nintendo, where light is always good and anything dark is evil. While everyone should be welcoming to this, there's an ice cubes chance in hell of it ever happening.

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
This why I took matters into my own hands during my first BOTW playthrough. Cus I know Nintendo would never give it to me.

C7-EBD41-D-09-A4-4-A3-C-89-C2-C52583-ADA1-FA.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The lore of the Zelda universe doesn't present any reason why Zelda should be black in any game.
Why does there need to be a reason, though. There's no lore reason Zelda has to be anything besides a princess, and even that, she sometimes isn't (see WW).
Don't get me wrong, I don't think you have ill intent, but you gotta look at what views led you to think that a character being black needs to have a lore reason.

I wonder if people would get mad at super pale blond Ganondorf 🤔
Makes me think about what traits I really want in my Zelda characters. For Link, it's left-handedness. Ganondorf, I do like having red hair. But I think blonde would work too, even if many people would probably not recognize him at first. Which could be a plus for a big reveal.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
When your white heroes are constantly battling a dark-skinned, Arabic-themed villain who is destined to be evil and lose constantly, even when he might have a point sometimes, and on top of that people feel strangely attached to the heroes being white despite never actually providing a justification as to why this attachment is of the utmost importance, it is perfectly fine to say that the series is engaging in colorism, even if it's not consciously intended by Nintendo.

Great point.

And it's somewhat strange to draw the line on racial representation with Zelda -- a series that has been quite clear on what color the villain and the sexualized are, consistently.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is Nintendo, where light is always good and anything dark is evil. While everyone should be welcoming to this, there's an ice cubes chance in hell of it ever happening.

I don't think anyone is here under the impression that it has a real chance of ever happening. And while that saddens me, what currently saddens me even more is all the excuses from actual posters as to why it can't happen. Exact same stuff I read in the threads discussing female Link lol