• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
not that it matters but yeah every zelda is a descendant by blood from the first one
it's link that can just be some rando that gets the spirit of the hero

it would be cool for it to happen but I can't see it anytime soon

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was there's no way we get a black Zelda if Nintendo wasn't even willing to pick Twintelle as the Smash rep for arms.

I think the reason they went with Min Min instead of Twintelle is because Twintelle doesn't fight with her arms. And therefore is a pretty bad representation of the game she came from.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, why not both? And there's room for other ethnicities to be represented as well.
My issue with simply changing existing ones, not that I think they shouldn't (because a Latina Lara Croft like they planned would be awesome) is that when you just change an existing character that all, but guarantees it's not permanent.

It's the difference between if they'd just made a black Peter Parker vs Miles Morales. The former would have had the same rogues gallery and relationships, maybe with variations, but a new writer could just change him back or to another race, and all that build up would essentially be lost and he'd just become another random variant as opposed to his own unique character that would endure

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't believe in the "Zelda timeline" so each new title is different world for me, a black Zelda would be fine, i still don't get Zelda in WW went from brown to pasty white the second she turned into royalty, even in like 2003 people joked about how stupid that was.
Nintendo is another issue though, Japan is a homogeneous society & even korean immigrants got forced to changed their surname to japanese, the idea of diversity can be lost on them culturally, the only chance you have is NOA pushing for it.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
As a Mexican American person I have always wanted more inclusion in media that didn't immediately default to landscaper/farm hand and gang banger/drug lord.

The one thing I've never asked for is the recoloring of existing characters. I don't think that X character that is a certain way should now be brown and proud. I want new characters to represent me.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I totally notice when hispanic/latin characters appear in games. I take even greater note when they are specifically culturally Mexican. A few notable games that crossed that line would be the Mass Effect series, Telltales the Walking Dead, Last of Us 2, and Cyberpunk.
Brown guy here, agreed. Would rather have new characters as a means of representation and not just using existing characters.
No, make new characters.

Secondly, why is it always black vs. white? Where's my south east asian character (in virtually anything) especially as a good guy?

How does this make sense in the context of TLOZ? Link and Zelda are always different characters. WW Zelda is a different character than OoT Zelda and both are different characters than BotW Zelda who are all different from the original LOZ Zelda. Why couldn't the royal family become mixed after all these millennia and have a dark skinned princess?

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Black dude here, and I'm for it. Make Link black too, fuck it. Not like Black Hylians aren't a thing, they just don't pop up often and maybe they should. And even it they weren't a thing, it'd just be a good look overall.

But I'm also absolutely behind the posts calling for more original POC characters from Nintendo. I actually think that'd be more valuable overall, tbh.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think what I hate the most about these kinds of threads is they always end up just being a) people shutting down the idea of black "versions" of white characters entirely, but also b) people being dismissive of brown "versions" of characters as if there can only be white or black characters and nothing in between.
I'm not sure why when black people ask for black representation, other minorities feel like they...can't?

If anyone wanted to claim Tetra as brown, they're free to do so and I would support that, nor would I characterize it as dismissive of black people. In general, I, nor this thread, nor other Black Era members who agree with this one author's premise are getting in the way of other groups asserting the kind of reclamation and representation they want to say. Hell, I would take a Zelda game that actually leans into an East Asian culture, because there's no reason why it has to remain rooted in the basic Medieval get-up.

There's no reason to make this thread into one that's exclusionary. Y'all have free reign to make your cases too.

JesDNC

Feb 16, 2018
I don't really have a strong opinion in this matter, but if people do want a black Zelda or Link, give it to them, the lore allows it so I don't see any problem whatsoever, they could be like the avatar from the ATLA/TLK changing race, gender, or culture with each reincarnation and that would make a more interesting take in future games with reversed gender roles or even some crazier ideas like a Zora Link or something, making them asian, black, latino, or whatever they want should be easy if we were not talking about Nintendo, but I just wanted to point out that while Link and Zelda are reincarnations, Ganondorf isn't. Only in Four Sword Adventures we have a reincarnation, but the Ganondorf/Ganon we see in each game is the same from Ocarina of Time (his first chronological appearence). He's often sealed so he simply comes back, or he's straight up resurrected.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My issue with simply changing existing ones, not that I think they shouldn't (because a Latina Lara Croft like they planned would be awesome) is that when you just change an existing character that all, but guarantees it's not permanent.

It's the difference between if they'd just made a black Peter Parker vs Miles Morales. The former would have had the same rogues gallery and relationships, maybe with variations, but a new writer could just change him back or to another race, and all that build up would essentially be lost and he'd just become another random variant as opposed to his own unique character that would endure
Like I said, this would be closer to a Miles Morales situation on account of most versions of Zelda are reincarnations, not the literal same character.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I mean considering you get effectively a different Link and Zelda with almost every game, I don't see why one of these incarnation pairings of Link and Zelda can't be brown or black without "painting existing characters".
This was always my feeling when the "female Link" was a debate. The series is able to do it without the idea of just painting an existing character a different color or gender.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Again, why not both? And there's room for other ethnicities to be represented as well.

My point is that a simple color swap isn't a fix for diversity representation. Real representation isn't going to ever happen until it's more rooted in society's psyche as a whole, which I don't expect to happen in my lifetime. That's why I prefer new characters, because at least it doesn't seem so superficial, and it's not annoying older fans whom may have been attached. As a minority, if I'm going to be repped, I want to be proud of said character rather than feel like I'm just being used as a check mark to fulfill some sort of quota.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
I'm black and I just think no. This is not how diversity should be handled.

Stop with the painting existing characters to a different colour. That's not how it should be.

Black panther is the prime example of how it should be done a character with his own lore and origin not a recolouring of existing characters.

I definitely don't agree with this thread at all.

You are my hero.

Nov 17, 2017
If a new Zelda game came out and Zelda or Link were black, I wouldn't exactly dislike it. In fact, I'd be pumped. I think in general, there should be more Zelda characters of varying ethnicities. That said... I can't help but feel that they would just become and be reduced to "the black Zelda" and "the black Link." Like they would just be seen as a one-off version of the character- they probably wouldn't even get into Smash.

So I'm not against the idea, it's more like... it's not good enough. They can do it but it won't be good enough for me until we get Nintendo IPs with actual black protagonists so that they can just be their own characters instead of black versions of another. It's like a temporary band-aid to a bigger problem imo.

not that it matters but yeah every zelda is a descendant by blood from the first one
it's link that can just be some rando that gets the spirit of the hero

it would be cool for it to happen but I can't see it anytime soon
To be fair, there are black Hylians in BotW and the King in that game married into the royal family because Zelda's mother was the Zelda before her. So really, you'd just need a black Hylian to marry into the royal family.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory comparison regarding minority representation, previous severe ban for rationalizing discrimination
Why not do both? What's the harm exactly in Zelda being black one go around? Does it change her character? Sure, be mindful in how tropes are handled but the generic stance against making a previously white character black seems... misguided at best to me.

Why not have Miles Morales be a white dude in the next version of the comics?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a new Zelda game came out and Zelda or Link were black, I wouldn't exactly dislike it. In fact, I'd be pumped. I think in general, there should be more Zelda characters of varying ethnicities. That said... I can't help but feel that they would just become and be reduced to "the black Zelda" and "the black Link." Like they would just be seen as a one-off version of the character- they probably wouldn't even get into Smash.
Then make more than one black version of them

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Has anyone here explained why Nintendo can't "do both" or how this would somehow be bad yet?

But Link and Zelda both vastly change appearances in damn near every other game.

f0b1993cc493bbf3a01c4e338d20740f.jpg

Hair color, eye color, height and weight changes? Sure no problem. But they get more melanin and it's breaking the canon? For goodness sakes, like OP said, the King is black in several incarnations. It's not as wild as you're making it out to be.

Not only do they look different, but they have different personalities too. But somehow making her black one single time would both break the canon and just end up being a palette swap.

"Logic".

The last TMNT cartoon made their version of April O'Neal black. And *gasp* she wasn't just a palette swap either. She had her own look and her own personality. Guess that's somehow not possible for Zelda though.

There is a reason why some IP's and brands might benefit from a race swap diversity move and its purely based on popularity and the overall acceptance of general audiences.

Just think about it for a second.

Theres alot of patronizing goin on in the thread and virtue signaling. But lets be 100% honest and real for a sec.... If we actually did get that New IP with a Black Lead, id very much argue that not even half of yall in this thread right now would even be interested or pick it up, despite what you saying/posting.

We can simply look at existing history to support this behavior. Look at how Hollywood treated black films for the longest. They were considered " Black Films" not films for general audiences. Right off the bat, they were considered to have a smaller audience pull simply by containing black characters as the majority of the cast

There is a very real paradox that happens within this discussion. When it comes to socialization, Black People in the US have been forced to socialize with White People and their entertainment. We've seen nothing but White Characters since the inception of entertainment and Hollywood, and the few bits of diversity that we ever got were terribly tinted with bigotry and white racial bias until as of recent modern times. This is why some of these IPs and Brands are so big to begin with... There was no other choice of the matter

Luke was always going to be a white man. Captain America was damn sure going to be a white man. James Bond was always going to be nothing but a white man. There was 0 discussion in the matter creatively and Black Audiences were always going to accept it because thats the way shit is.

However, White People don't have to consume their entertainment this way. There is an endless amount of content supporting white leads and identity that entirely lack diversity. If a White viewer doesnt want to particiapte with diverse entertainment. They legitimately don't have to. They can always opt out, there is always more content available. The same cannot be said for the reverse. At All.

Marvel and Star Wars are always going to be huge brands because at their time of inception, all those characters were going to be white without debate. Everyone was going to accept this, it was the status quo. Imagine yourself to be in the rooms at the time of creation of these IP's. Imagine yourself suggesting some of these main characters be black.... or gasp.... even a black woman....

What reaction do you expect to have? Laughed out the room? You bet.

These brands have decades of attachment and success associated with them. tried and true products, so of course there would be backlash on messing with the "identity" of the brand however there still is a place for it

Because if we want to be realistic and truthful about our society. Diversity will have to be injected into long standing popular brands AND supplemented with New IP in order to find true acceptance because if it simply gets relegated to New IP, it will simply be ignored by white audiences.

This will be even more exacerbated in the Gaming World, because "gamers" tend to be troglodytes on race to begin with

That Black New IP yall speak about supporting? Here's the criticisms:

"I cant identify with the MC, it turned me off"
"The game itself sucks, not gonna support a shitty game just because the lead is black"
"I know nothing about this game, Ill wait till it has some buzz before I give it attention"
"I've never heard of the development team etc etc etc"
"Its not the genre of gameplay I enjoy"

Every excuse in the book pulled out to justify why they shouldnt give a damn. Would you expect to hear any of those complaints for a Nintendo made black Zelda game? Probably not, blows all those excuses out the water.

Just quoting to say that this is very good synopsis of the paradox black people are in when it comes to entertainment, especially with videogames and the gamer crowd. And based on the replies here, we're a long ways off from breaking out of that paradox.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not.

The only consistent formula in every LoZ game is the members of the Triforce and Link wearing green and having a sword and shield (mostly)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm all for it, more diversity is a nice thing.

I am going say this you don't want nintendo to do this because they already did once and well

DD-Phantom-Hourglass-Tetra-and-Zelda-Expanded-Role-cover-pic.jpg

may i remind you they literally whitewashed her in the same game, we don't know if nintendo would handle it respectively if at all unproblematic
I honestly don't think this counts. Isn't this just "in the sun all day" pirate forme turning into "actually, I'm a princess untouched by the sun" forme? That's how it came across to me.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
This thread is hurting my brain, I feel like there are people that find the race of their fictional characters to be this strange sacred ground. Like why can't old iconic characters change race? What damage is done if they are? It's pretty clear it has large positives to society as a whole if they are. Like y'all really attached to some game art from like 20 years ago?

I'm Latinx (if that's relevant, for some reason) but diversity is always good.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I see no problem with this idea. With a few exceptions, every game is in a different time with a different Zelda and a different Link.

It's not simply painting an existing character black if it's a new character.

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, this would be closer to a Miles Morales situation on account of most versions of Zelda are reincarnations, not the literal same character.
But it wouldn't be the same, because what about the next Zelda after that? Instead of being able to look forward to another black Link/Zelda it would be a toss up what race they'd be. Miles Morales works because he'll always be Miles Morales. Regardless of the variations he'll always have the same qualities, and relationships, and backstory, etc just like no matter how many times they reboot Spiderman with Peter Parker he'll always have his Aunt Ben's death spur him, or live with Aunt May, or be in love with Mary Jane/Felicia. I want black characters where I can reliably look forward to their next games is what I'm saying

Last edited:

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
No, make new characters.

Secondly, why is it always black vs. white? Where's my south east asian character (in virtually anything) especially as a good guy?
All the games are standalone stories, I can't any reason why not.
Japanese games in general need more diversity (and less sexism).

Yes thank you! There are so many other races to consider. But I do agree with OP, the African ethnicity is woefully under-represented in Zelda.
Why don't they do an entire village based on these themes?

Make a thread about lack of representation of other races.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But it wouldn't be the same, because what about the next Zelda after that? Instead of being able to look forward to another black Link/Zelda it would be a toss up what race they'd be. Miles Morales works because he'll always be Miles Morales. Regardless of the variations he'll always have the same qualities, and relationships, and backstory, etc just like no matter how many times they reboot Spiderman with Peter Parker he'll always have his Aunt Ben's death spur him, or live with Aunt May, or be in love with Mary Jane/Felicia. I want blacks character where I can reliably look forward to their next games is what I'm saying
Zelda games hop from timeline to timeline all the time, so there are ways to tell different stories with different Zeldas if they really want to.

Nov 17, 2017
Then make more than one black version of them
We'd honestly be lucky to get one.

But it wouldn't be the same, because what about the next Zelda after that? Instead of being able to look forward to another black Link/Zelda it would be a toss up what race they'd be. Miles Morales works because he'll always be Miles Morales. Regardless of the variations he'll always have the same qualities, and relationships, and backstory, etc just like no matter how many times they reboot Spiderman with Peter Parker he'll always have his Aunt Ben's death spur him, or live with Aunt May, or be in love with Mary Jane/Felicia. I want blacks character where I can reliably look forward to their next games is what I'm saying
Yeah this is how I feel. I'm in the "do both camp." Just making Link or Zelda black once is not enough for me.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
You kept pushing that point so i had to expand on it. If u agree with it, its all good.

Who is stopping other authors from writing similar articles regarding asian characters for example ? Hell you could be the one.
It often feels like whenever black people bring up issues or address something, instead of just being supportive because in the end its a similar cause towards a similar result of diversity its always...yeah but what about the 10 other races or minorities you didnt mention ?

Asking Black people to include other races in their fights is one thing, but asking black woman who already have enough on their plate to the same is a bit weird. You think anyone else but a Black Woman would even post this kind of article ? Thats not really a viewpoint that is being discussed unless its brought up my black people themselves.
For the article in the OP specifically, I brought up the issue because it's not a logically sound argument. We all agree that the status quo is bad, but if the argument for one specific alternative literally doesn't mention any of the other obvious ones it's pretty weak. The author literally uses "people of color" and "black" interchangeably.

I think a lot of posts in this thread have explained the argument much more clearly than that article though fwiw

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm all for it, more diversity is a nice thing.

I honestly don't think this counts. Isn't this just "in the sun all day" pirate forme turning into "actually, I'm a princess untouched by the sun" forme? That's how it came across to me.
I always assumed Tetra was meant to be tan from being a pirate on the open ocean but I could be wrong about that.

It still factors under issues of how skin colour is being used. The King of Red Lions seems to always have a tan. Why wouldn't her Princess form be tanned as well? Did her skin magically un-tan? :S Also the "fair skin princess" is an old and dated trope that has bad implications toward how we see dark skin. Zelda is still going to be Zelda even with a tan, she didn't need to be made pastey white.

Settings like Majora's Mask and ALBW would have been good opportunities to have Black versions of the characters if they really don't want to simply put them in Hyrule

It could be possible that designers don't always think about it (especially if their offices lack the kinda of diversity you see in some parts of the world). But a push for it, and especially since the Zelda series has so many fantastic NPCs, would be so easy and amazing to see.

The series takes nods from real-world cultures quite often, and I love a lot about what they did with the Gerudo's (especially BOTW really having fun with it). So I hope it'll open up more doors in the future.

Goldbob

Sep 21, 2020
I always assumed Tetra was meant to be tan from being a pirate on the open ocean but I could be wrong about that.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
That would be pretty cool. Since each game takes place in it's own world why not have game where all of the principle characters are black? Actually...🤔 I just got a thread idea.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
This thread is hurting my brain, I feel like there are people that find the race of their fictional characters to be this strange sacred ground. Like why can't old iconic characters change race? What damage is done if they are? It's pretty clear it has large positives to society as a whole if they are. Like y'all really attached to some game art from like 20 years ago?

I'm Latinx (if that's relevant, for some reason) but diversity is always good.
I can see why most of the people who are against the race change thing, because it would be a temporary measure, it wouldn't be permanent. the character would go back to their original race over time, look what happened with DC and wally west they race changed him to make him the new wally west new kid flash only to bring back the old white one in the comics. people want new characters that will stay for a long time not a character who would change race temporarily, they wan permanent diversity not temporary diversity

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Settings like Majora's Mask and ALBW would have been good opportunities to have Black versions of the characters if they really don't want to simply put them in Hyrule

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It still factors under issues of how skin colour is being used. The King of Red Lions seems to always have a tan. Why wouldn't her Princess form be tanned as well? Did her skin magically un-tan? :S Also the "fair skin princess" is an old trope that has bad implcations toward how we see dark skin.
Oh yeah, absolutely, it's the whole noble = no tan thing that you can still see in many countries with skin bleach cream and all that messed up stuff.
So the tan removal is an issue, yeah, but I just wanted to point out that Nintendo did not have the balls to make Zelda, even "undercover" Zelda, actually anything but white.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see a prominent black character in Zelda/Mario that isn't just a race swap. As a black person, I never feel like that character IS black, it's just some alternate dimension type stuff that will undoubtedly change back leaving me with nothing in the long run.

I just like new, original characters that being black is just part of who they are at their core. Just making a white person black is... I guess it's a step, but it feels so half-baked.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I don't like palette swaps because most of the time they are just a one time thing. If I wanted a character to represent my country I would rather that character to be original and to continue going forward. Getting a Costa Rican lara croft would be awesome, but if in the next game she goes back to a white London girl then did it really matter?

I would buy a Zelda game with a pallet swap? Day one of course, but I rather have original characters.

Also western games need to stop seeing latam as a land of drugs. I am tired of that BS, that's all I see, and fuck you with your yellow tint.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Stop with the painting existing characters to a different colour. That's not how it should be.

Black panther is the prime example of how it should be done a character with his own lore and origin not a recolouring of existing characters.

This was my initial thought, but wasn't sure how others felt. I'm all for diverse characters, but I also don't want it to feel forced. Maybe it could be done where it didn't feel forced, but why not just do a new series, or reboot an old series and make the main characters poc?

I will add that if they went this route I'd still support it and I'm confident I would even enjoy it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I would like to see a prominent black character in Zelda/Mario that isn't just a race swap. As a black person, I never feel like that character IS black, it's just some alternate dimension type stuff that will undoubtedly change back leaving me with nothing in the long run.

I just like new, original characters that being black is just part of who they are at their core. Just making a white person black is... I guess it's a step, but it feels so half-baked.
I can see where you're coming from. There are upsides to both making a reincarnation of Zelda black, and having a unique black character that's a main character. And of course, both could happen in theory... but I think the second one is much more likely, seeing how Nintendo is Nintendo. And sadly

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017

I agree with you, but I'm going to sit here and patiently wait for an Idris Elba Batman or James Bond.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
I'm arab and this is so not the thread for this. And this goes for all the "why is it always white or black" posts.

Thank you for this. Getting really tired of other minorities complaining whenever us black people speak up for ourselves.

Attention fellow minorities: You all are always free to make you're own threads/posts requesting diversity and inclusion for your own race. I greatly encourage it. No need to come into a topic about black people created by a black man and whine because he didn't speak up for you. Us black people can't always be caping for and speaking for everyone else.

Wasn't the original April O'Neil black ironically?

That would be news to me. Always seen her as a white redhead. I'll look it up.

If so, then they need to shake her up more often.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I mean, it would be effectively a new princess anyway. Most Zeldas are a reincarnation, a different person.
I bet most people playing Zelda games don't care or know that it's technically a different person in each game. Zelda is still Zelda and Link is still Link. People of color deserve to have their own characters with their own stories, not just shoehorned into existing roles to fill some sort of diversity quota.

Think of it like Peter Parker Spider-Man and Miles Morales Spider-Man. Peter Parker is just a funny white guy, whose role could be done by anyone, of any race. There could have been a black Peter Parker, but instead Miles Morales was created, with a different personality and style that both acknowledges and takes pride in his race. Now Peter Parker and Miles Morales are pretty much interchangeable as to who "Spider-Man" is. The same could be done with Zelda and a new Princess, or Link and a new hero.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh yeah, absolutely, it's the whole noble = no tan thing that you can still see in many countries with skin bleach cream and all that messed up stuff.
So the tan removal is an issue, yeah, but I just wanted to point out that Nintendo did not have the balls to make Zelda, even "undercover" Zelda, actually anything but white.

This sorta drives me nuts when it comes to a lot of Japanese media...the insistance of "it's just a tan" is...so WEIRD. I wish they'd commit

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
For the article in the OP specifically, I brought up the issue because it's not a logically sound argument. We all agree that the status quo is bad, but if the argument for one specific alternative literally doesn't mention any of the other obvious ones it's pretty weak. The author literally uses "people of color" and "black" interchangeably.

I think a lot of posts in this thread have explained the argument much more clearly than that article though fwiw
It usually implied anyway for anyone who can read between the lines or isnt just looking for some mistakes.
Every minority in some way wins when something changes up the status quo - yeah even black people are the most visible representation of that change, everything adds up.

I will never understand people that dont understand something obvious. Disrupting the status quo is helping everyone, maybe not at the same time or for the same amount...but it helps. But we have obv. still ways to go.