• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't black people worth more investment than just taking "Popular Thing" and painting it black?

Let's go the whole hog and say why not Black Mario and Black Gordon Freeman?

Oooooor we take time and consider how to make some compelling stories with existing/new black characters.

Exactly.

And whilst we're on the topic of diversity, I think a more valid attempt at diversity in Zelda is making Zelda the main playable character on her own quest and character arc, without delivering a watered down experience.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I always wanted a Link and/or Zelda with a Gerudo background, sounds like that'd have a lot of potential

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get these "it would just be a palette swap" takes. Isn't the entire lore behind the Zelda series that it's the same archetypes returning again and again. Nintendo uses that lore to completely switch up the settings of these games. Now Hyrule's in the sky, now it's underwater; that sorta thing. Why couldn't that also include altered appearances for the main cast? IMO the Zelda series would be perfect for including some much needed diversity in Nintendo's output. Hyrule could be based on an African kingdom and then an Indian one and then an Incan one, etc.

I'm not expecting Nintendo to do this. I mean, let's face it, they never will. But still, I don't see why it couldn't hypothetically be done and I think it'd be pretty cool.

Must-read post

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
First sane post in this thread imo, as a brown man, I'd like to say thank you.
It's funny how in a thread about black people, you as a non-black person think you have any high ground to call agreement with the idea insane. And no, I don't care that you're brown.

Fact of the matter is, Link and Zelda are usually reincarnations. They are designed differently most installments, and until recently you have been allowed to name Link whatever the fuck you want in the first place. Changing their skin color is not about to cause any issues with canon. Only thing it's going to do is upset diehards who think Link and Zelda being light-skinned is somehow integral to their personality without being able to explain why they think that is.

And the thought that Nintendo can't create any original IPs alongside development of existing ones makes no sense either. Billion dollar company can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time apparently.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around representation
While I think a black player character from Nintendo or a black Zelda would be neat, it is ridiculous that a text about Legend of Zelda, a Japanese series made by (mostly) Japanese people, says America/n 9 times and fails to mention Japan (or even Africa) even once. It does show that many Americans, no matter how progressive they claim to be, still see the rest of the world as only existing to serve and cater to the US.

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
I'm in, a black Link too. But let's be real here.. Zelda is a japanese franchise, made by the large majority of japanese, I think it is impossible to happen.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Thanks for sharing this Neoxon

I definitely agree

I'm black and I just think no. This is not how diversity should be handled.

Did you read the entire article? Because if you did, your statement doesn't help a franchise that touts a white elf in being more diverse.

So let's ignore all the non human people. How would you seriously suggest they address it? Because games are all coming to the realization that they need to be diverse. And have your blonde haired white elf isn't screaming diversity & inclusion.

You mention that new characters

Stop with the painting existing characters to a different colour. That's not how it should be.

Black panther is the prime example of how it should be done a character with his own lore and origin not a recolouring of existing characters.

I definitely don't agree with this thread at all.

Did you read the entire article? Because if you did, your statement doesn't help a franchise that touts a white elf in being more diverse.

So let's ignore all the non human people. How would you seriously suggest they address it? Because games are all coming to the realization that they need to be diverse. And have your blonde haired white elf isn't screaming diversity & inclusion.

You mention that new characters need to be created. Okay so then what could this series do then? Because you just came in here and said you don't agree. Which adds nothing to the conversation, thanks for the contribution.

Happy Black History Month I guess dude

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how in a thread about black people, you as a non-black person think you have any high ground to call agreement with the idea insane. And no, I don't care that you're brown.

Fact of the matter is, Link and Zelda are usually reincarnations. They are designed differently most installments, and until recently you have been allowed to name Link whatever the fuck you want in the first place. Changing their skin color is not about to cause any issues with canon. Only thing it's going to do is upset diehards who think Link and Zelda being light-skinned is somehow integral to their personality without being able to explain why they think that is.

And the thought that Nintendo can't create any original IPs alongside development. Billion dollar company can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time apparently.

Good post.

All this bullshit about how Link ain't allowed to be gender-swapped I've seen over the years. Fine. (Well not actually fine, but let's say I agreed) How people also gonna say that now there's an issue with Link having a different skin tone too? It's fucking reincarnation lmao

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Stop with the painting existing characters to a different colour. That's not how it should be.

Black panther is the prime example of how it should be done a character with his own lore and origin not a recolouring of existing characters.

Thank you for this. As a brown man I honestly find this type of suggestions (at least in cases that concerns me, like when people are talking about making characters brown or talking about Muslim origins without knowing what they really are talking about - not saying that's the case with OP, just an example) kinda offensive.

Representation shouldn't come in the form of using a paint brush on existing characters. Like you said, creating new characters with their own lore and origin should be the focus.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Agreed, as a Black person, I'd much rather see Nintendo invest in making a great Black character instead of making Zelda Black for a game or two. Leave her be.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather them to introduce new kickass PoC characters or new series featuring them. Gladly they did actually in BotW ....but there is always more than can be done.

It's also the much more likely thing to happen.

Amen.
Couldn't have said it better and completely agree. I honestly feel that these takes demanding the same character just to be black rarely come from black persons because that's not the preferred outcome for most of us.

Like Nintendo or creatives couldn't create new kickass charachters and the only way for a Black person to be relevant is if its based on a charachters with a (mostly white) history.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019

I'm trying to figure out how making this Japanese/White/Whatever character black is supposed to make my life any better...

I wouldn't care if they did (though I would be concerned by the writing since that can go wrong) and someone did make a good point about Link and Zelda being different people every few games but I really don't see the benefit.

Can't Nintendo just make a black MC who lives in the same world/universe?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I mean considering you get effectively a different Link and Zelda with almost every game, I don't see why one of these incarnation pairings of Link and Zelda can't be brown or black without "painting existing characters".
I don't get these "it would just be a palette swap" takes. Isn't the entire lore behind the Zelda series that it's the same archetypes returning again and again. Nintendo uses that lore to completely switch up the settings of these games. Now Hyrule's in the sky, now it's underwater; that sorta thing. Why couldn't that also include altered appearances for the main cast? IMO the Zelda series would be perfect for including some much needed diversity in Nintendo's output. Hyrule could be based on an African kingdom and then an Indian one and then an Incan one, etc.

I'm not expecting Nintendo to do this. I mean, let's face it, they never will. But still, I don't see why it couldn't hypothetically be done and I think it'd be pretty cool.
Yeah, these were my thoughts too. I don't have much ground to stand on as a white guy but I don't see how this would be amy different than Miles Morales being a black Spider-Man. Link and Zelda are different characters in different Zelda games, it wouldn't be "recoloring an existing character."

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. I'd love to See Nintendo do it. I'd be wary of the diehards with the series though.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking reincarnation lmao
Not even divine intervention can inject melanin into the Hero and Goddess apparently.

I honestly feel that these takes demanding the same character just to be black rarely come from black persons because that's not the preferred outcome for most of us.
I'm black. I want more black characters, whether they be original characters or race swaps. I'm not gonna be picky. Not sure why anyone feels obligated to be.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This whole dynamic of every Zelda and Link needing to be white while their one destined nemesis is a "wicked man from the desert" is racist as shit and has to go.

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WTH is with all the replies in here claiming to be PoC and saying they don't want pallet swaps of existing characters? Its basically a new Zelda every game save a few. I'm all for OG black characters as well but I'd love to see a princess Zelda and a Link who is Black/Brown. Its not like OP was asking for us to change Twilight Princess Link into a brotha.
This seriously comes off as people complaining when an artist draws an established anime characters Black.. shit is gross, let us be heroes in your stories as well, especially the ones that reset their world almost every game.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for it. Zelda was a brown pirate at one point then just turned white in the same game when she became a princess. That would have been a good opportunity to do it. Hopefully it happens.

Why did I read the comments though...

I was going to bring up this exact example. Or even them just adding a game where you can change how Zelda/Link look like aside from the usual blonde + white skin would be awesome. My little sister got into Zelda with BotW and I know she'd love something like that.

With Pokemon and Animal Crossing both allowing you to have "Black" (because I don't think they have afro-hair textures in Pokemon yet) protags, it'd be great if Zelda was the next franchise to do this too.

And... never read the comments bro. Never.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
While I think a black player character from Nintendo or a black Zelda would be neat, it is ridiculous that a text about Legend of Zelda, a Japanese series made by (mostly) Japanese people, says America/n 9 times and fails to mention Japan even once. It does show that many Americans, no matter how progressive they claim to be, still see the rest of the world as only existing to serve and cater to the US.

Did you see who wrote it? A Black woman that's a senior editor on this site dedicated to all things Zelda. Please cater to the US? Yes as if Black people asking for more than white heroes is a Black people in the US problem.

The comments even tell you're wrong get that shit outta here.

www.zeldadungeon.net

Diversity in Zelda: A Month-Long Discussion of Race in the Zelda Series - Zelda Dungeon

Diversity in gaming tends to be a hot-button issue, and one not too often talked about in the context of the Zelda series. We at Zelda Dungeon want to shine a light on the issues of representation, stereotyping, and intersectionality in our community. This will be an ongoing series in which we...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be a long ass road to get to there. Nintendo barely has many PoC side characters as is. Asking for a black person as a main princess seems years off at best, sadly.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you just play all these other big budget Nintendo games with women or pocs as protagonist instead? Oh, right.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused at the pallet swap comments.

it'll be a new Zelda. Just like every Zelda game, their be their own character and life lol.

and a new Link. Who Will probably be the same Character but a different upbringing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm black. I want more black characters, whether they be original characters or race swaps. I'm not gonna be picky. Not sure why anyone feels obligated to be.
I agree but at the same it feels weird to limit yourself when there are no limits in a medium like video games. Black Panther was massive because it was an original kickass charachters with his own cast and not just Black Tony Stark.

More presentation is always good, but the premise of it being only possible or worthwhile if some already established charachters change the race isn't something that would sign up for.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm confused at the pallet swap comments.

it'll be a new Zelda. Just like every Zelda game, their be their own character and life lol.

and a new Link. Who Will probably be the same Character but a different upbringing.
That's the issue I don't understand. Outside of a few exceptions (OoT -> MM, BotW -> BotW2, WW -> PH, etc.), it's usually never the same Link or Zelda.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around representation
While I think a black player character from Nintendo or a black Zelda would be neat, it is ridiculous that a text about Legend of Zelda, a Japanese series made by (mostly) Japanese people, says America/n 9 times and fails to mention Japan (or even Africa) even once. It does show that many Americans, no matter how progressive they claim to be, still see the rest of the world as only existing to serve and cater to the US.
Yes, it's bizarre to read. Article about Japanese series, the actual text: America, America, America, America, and only America.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Give me a Latino 😭

as a Mexican. I was really happy with Mario Odyssey giving us a tribute. Tho I hated it was a desert, tho I lived in a desert all my life lol.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I agree but at the same it feels weird to limit yourself when there are no limits in a medium like video games.
How in the world am I limiting myself when I said "I will take any black character, whether they are original or race swaps"?

My avatar is of an original black character.

What is even happening???

Give me a Latino 😭
This too. The characters reincarnate. Let's go hog-wild.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not even divine intervention can inject melanin into the Hero and Goddess apparently.

I guess not lol

My black ass has always wanted a Link/Zelda with some melanin for years, it literally has a built-in justification for it, people act like we're asking for a black Mario lol

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Sure why not. Hylians in BotW come in all skin tones, so why can't the royal family? Wind Waker already had a dark skinned Zelda until the name Zelda was actually uttered and she turned white, so I'd be all for the next game after BotW2 doing that correctly. Gamers would rage but gamers are idiots. Unfortunately Nintendo won't do it. I do at least hope we continue seeing the diversity seen in BotW.

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all acting like there is a qouta on black.brown characters that are allowed in the Zelda franchise. Make Zelda black Make link Brown, Introduce 2 more PoC characters who become staples in the series or at least important to the game their in. Or do people have a problem with that as well? Really coming off as I wont accept a PoC Zelda/Link. Even though again these are characters who are reincarnated like every game.

My black ass has always wanted a Link/Zelda with some melanin for years, it literally has a built-in justification for it, people act like we're asking for a black Mario lol

Seriously its fucking disappointing/depressing reading this shit. Especailly coming from fellow PoC fans of Zelda >_>

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'd prefer Nintendo come up with a brand new character in a brand new game built around a black hero or heroine.

As for Tetra being "brown", nope. As an actual brown person, no way. She went from a tanned blonde white pirate to a white untanned blonde princess.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
How in the world am I limiting myself when I said "I will take any black character, whether they are original or race swaps"?

My avatar is of an original black character.

What is even happening???

This too. The characters reincarnate. Let's go hog-wild.
I'm talking about the creator and developer in this case Nintendo, not your stance.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but Zelda and Link aren't singular characters. Zelda has gone from blonde hair blue eyes to being a brunette, so it's not just "recoloring." It's the essence of the series' method of reincarnation. It's like how the different Doctors in Doctor Who can look and behave completely different because they're not the same person.

If this
latest

Can reincarnate into this
latest

It shouldn't be too wild to see Zelda reincarnated as a different race.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah this is what I thought reading the thread title

I don't really like hand-me-down characters, hand-me-down mantles are somewhat better but still

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd prefer Nintendo come up with a brand new character in a brand new game built around a black hero or heroine.

As for Tetra being "brown", nope. As an actual brown person, no way. She went from a tanned blonde white pirate to a white untanned blonde princess.
It's less that Tetra/Zelda was proper representation & more of Nintendo feeling the need to lighten her skin the second her true identity was revealed. Hell, even her father was darker-skinned than what Zelda ended up being.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's bizarre to read. Article about Japanese series, the actual text: America, America, America, America, and only America.
This part was the oddest:
Given how fraught the relationship between Black and white people in America is in this cultural moment, seeing a Black Princess Zelda would be a firm accreditation of Black womxn as the bold, brilliant heroes they are. It would be a statement of allyship from Nintendo,

Like there are no PoCs in Japan and racism doesn't exist in Japan?? If they make a PoC Zelda maybe it it would be a statement of allyship for the PoCs in Japan first and foremost. The entire world doesn't revolve around the US

Oct 31, 2017
Are there good black npc's that aren't Gerudo?

I'd love to see a black Link or Zelda but we can't even get npc's.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
They had a great opportunity with Tetra, and then they white washed her.

Gotta be one of the most wtf moments in gaming.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is a billion dollar company. You think they can't do both?
That's what I'm saying, there is more that can be done than just a race swap on established charachters and one of the things I would prefer would be the creation of new charachters that could build their own stories, legacies and fanbase.

It's not a either or situation for me, only saying what I would prefer when the article in the OP makes it seem that Zelda being black is needed to reach that diversity goal. It's one way of multiple but as said before there is no need to limit yourself to that way of thinking.

Edit.

This is actually less about what Nintendo can or will do but what I would prefer to see. I mean you don't have to share that sentiment but at the same time it's not like I said the proposed idea in the OP is bad or shouldn't happen. Because your post make it seems like I'm arguing against it ...when i would love to see more ambitious takes, that aren't limited to already established type of charachters.

Last edited:

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is a billion dollar company. You think they can't do both?
Nah man according to some in Era nintendo can only make new black character in new I.Ps and hope they take off. but if they fail at least they tried right? lol God forbid one of the most popular characters in pop media who reincarnates besides maybe Dr.Who cant be PoC, in one of their many reincarnation

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even have to stop at Wind Waker. Even the king in BOTW has brown skin.

So why does Zelda need to be lily white?

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda, Link, Ganon and many other characters are different in every new Zelda that isn't a sequel.

It is not forced to make one of the new Zelda games different. Link can be black, so can Zelda. Like, did we forget that Ganon went from a pig to a man to an ogre to a samurai etc? Did someone complain that a pig man turned into a man?

I don't remember anyone thinking that.

While I am at it, have a female Link as well. Link is a blankstate character so he can be anything.

It is really weird to me how with all the various different Zeldas and Links people put a line when it comes to skin color.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah this is what I thought reading the thread title

I don't really like hand-me-down characters, hand-me-down mantles are somewhat better but still

Reading through the thread it seems the stories are often reincarnations? If that's an understood part of it then I guess it might work, but is it like comic book arcs, or more like Dr. Who? Cause there's a difference between making a black peter parker and making miles morales