• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
black-zelda-header.png

Alexis Anderson said:
Princess Zelda is a multifaceted character who has developed from a damsel in distress to a powerful political player, a researcher, a sorcerous, a warrior, a leader, and a legend. By virtue of this complexity, Zelda is an inspiring female character who breaks down gender roles game after game. Despite her many changes over the series' 35 year history, Zelda has never been anything other than white. This is a shame. And a missed opportunity to signal to women of color their potential to be legendary.

The Need for Change
Black women in America right now are constantly bombarded with content and voices (up to the highest echelons of society) which suggest that they do not matter, that they are inferior, and that they are not deserving of respect. Any and every symbol of Black power goes a long way to dulling those knives. To that end, a Black Princess Zelda sends the message that Black women are not just minor characters or antagonists, but complex, heroic figures of vital importance.

Zelda and Link always being portrayed as white suggests that only white people are capable of protecting the world and frankly that they rightfully control it. This is likely in no way the intention of those at Nintendo putting the games together, but may reflect an implicit bias among creators that ought to be challenged. This change is particularly possible in a series where the main trio of characters are unique manifestations of the Triforce throughout time, as opposed to the same exact character every game. Even an interpretation requiring a blood relation to the original Goddess, Hero, and Demise does not preclude more diverse representation by these figures, because it's very unlikely the bloodline would experience no interracial interventions across all of time. And there's nothing to say that the same spirit can't occupy a body racially distinct from those in its past.

Honestly, it's a great read that I suggest you all check out when you get the chance. Plus it'd make up for Wind Waker fucking up regarding Tetra (namely when she got white-washed after being revealed to be Zelda). A shame that Nintendo generally doesn't care about diversity outside of their newer teams. That said, there are legit obstacles for this, namely the DNA of Hylia needing to be carried over in Zelda's case. But it isn't impossible by any means.

Source: Zelda Dungeon

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for it. Zelda was a brown pirate at one point then just turned white in the same game when she became a princess. That would have been a good opportunity to do it. Hopefully it happens.

Why did I read the comments though...

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Because the formula of Zelda is 'same same but different', it feels like a series with a really unique opportunity to include more diverse takes on established characters. Not just established characters but some of the biggest characters in gaming.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The King in Wind Waker had dark skin. Tetra's mom in her photo had dark skin, but Tetra's gotta be white if she's Zelda. Total bullshit.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, no reason Hyrule can't just be a black kingdom in a post-BOTW entry. I'd love it if the main cast of the next Zelda was primarily black.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely would love and support a Black Princess Zelda.

She is still Zelda regardless of skin tone, and Black ladies absolutely deserve more representation.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They had the chance to do it with WW, but I guess nintendo said NOPE

Darkader

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I'm black and I just think no. This is not how diversity should be handled.

Stop with the painting existing characters to a different colour. That's not how it should be.

Black panther is the prime example of how it should be done a character with his own lore and origin not a recolouring of existing characters.

I definitely don't agree with this thread at all.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was there's no way we get a black Zelda if Nintendo wasn't even willing to pick Twintelle as the Smash rep for arms.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Urbosa is one of the most popular Nintendo characters so I think a Black Zelda could be a well accepted change

Dec 21, 2020
I'm all for it. Zelda was a brown pirate at one point then just turned white in the same game when she became a princess. That would have been a good opportunity to do it. Hopefully it happens.

Why did I read the comments though...
She was brown? As a brown person, I didn't really perceive it as that knowing myself all my life (and others of varying shades). I found tetra to be more of a tanned white person after summer, but not brown in the conversation sense. Definitely did not see anything brown about her.

I may be in the minority in that but I didn't really get her as that from just looking at her.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My first thought was there's no way we get a black Zelda if Nintendo wasn't even willing to pick Twintelle as the Smash rep for arms.
That was mostly on Yabuki going with his favorite character (Min Min) & Sakurai considering Ninjara over Twintelle. Nintendo just wanted an ARMS character, they didn't care who.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017

Stop with the painting existing characters to a different colour. That's not how it should be.

Black panther is the prime example of how it should be done a character with his own lore and origin not a recolouring of existing characters.

First sane post in this thread imo, as a brown man, I'd like to say thank you.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with this. Nintendo just needs to make an awesome game with a Black MC.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

I kind of agree with this. I'd much rather Nintendo make an original IP with a black character instead.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

I agree, I would love to see some new characters of color introduced rather then pallet swap existing characters, give us fantastic new characters with their own identity and story.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
She was brown? As a brown person, I didn't really perceive it as that knowing myself all my life (and others of varying shades). I found tetra to be more of a tanned white person after summer, but not brown in the conversation sense. Definitely did not see anything brown about her.

I may be in the minority in that but I didn't really get her as that from just looking at her.
She had some color to her, maybe she was a tan white person but I didn't think she was white at first. She turned super white when she became Zelda though.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

First sane post in this thread imo, as a brown man, I'd like to say thank you.
I agree with this. Nintendo just needs to make an awesome game with a Black MC.
I kind of agree with this. I'd much rather Nintendo make an original IP with a black character instead.
Why not both? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
This post makes me think of the headcanon/fan theory that every Zelda game is a different culture's interpretation of 'the legend of Zelda', hence why they're always the same yet different. Makes me wish they'd run with that concept finally, instead of this 'it's the same universe but different timelines' bullshit they currently use, or whatever it's supposed to be.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I won't even give out my take on the matter, but I do think it deserves to be mentioned, this would likely not even be a suggestion if Nintendo cared to create more original POC (and specifically, black) characters. Just food for thought.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017

As a latino, yes. This is the way. We need more Miles Morales and less painting princesses or queens painted a different color.

Im sure in the future we will see this kind of trend of palette swaping characters racist af.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
That, or just have prominent BIPOC in their games, in general.

Ideally, with black people voicing those roles, too. I love Urbosa as much as the next guy, but I really do hope the next one(s) like her in the franchise's future will give some black actors the nod.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This post makes me think of the headcanon/fan theory that every Zelda game is a different culture's interpretation of 'the legend of Zelda', hence why they're always the same yet different. Makes me wish they'd run with that concept finally, instead of this 'it's the same universe but different timelines' bullshit they currently use, or whatever it's supposed to be.
Isn't the second game literally a direct sequel to the first game?

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021

Totally agree.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I find it a bit weird that the piece seemingly omits other races and just jumps from "everyone is white" to "black women in America" as if there's not many other skin tones, races, etc that could also be represented.

I think the most logical next step for Zelda would be to tackle the Gerudo issue with more nuance than "the brown sand people that Ganondorf came from".

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns of Black Representation; Prior Ban for Concern Trolling About Racism
You don't have to force things or change existing things for the sake of it. This isn't diversity and it's not how it works.

Fair representation. Respectful representation. New characters and lore built from the ground up – that's how it works. That's why Miles Morales is such an awesome character. They didn't just make Peter Parker black (or any other background for that matter).

Also, while we're on this topic: Why not brown? Why not middle Eastern? Why not south East Asian? Not everything is just white or black, but often gets painted as such in the name of diversity. If anything, that's just as damaging.

I'm so tired of this linear thinking.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Zelda is never just one character though. If one Zelda can have brown hair there's no reason there can't be a black Zelda.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes me think of how the end of Wind Waker has the king saying: hey, go off, form a new kingdom that's unique and original and doesn't have the baggage of the old Hyrule...

...and then for Spirit Tracks it's literally named Hyrule and everything looks/functions like regular Hyrule except there's trains now. Would have been a cool opportunity to create a new, unique Zelda world with, say, a Polynesian feel, and a Link and Zelda that reflect a non-European culture. But no.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But since these characters are reincarnations... why not?
I'm all in for a female Link or male Zelda or whatever they come up with, since they are not one fied person

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I like Miles Morales being his own established, continuing person more than "Peter Parker is a black kid in the Splendiforus Spider-Man timeline in that one story."

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Japan is looking for bigger and broader international appeal, I would love to think including people's of more diverse skin tones is part of that. They've gotten better, but it can still be better.

Hell, if Link is a "link" to the player, let them choose hair and skin tone for him (or even sex).

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Thank you for this, as a Latino, I think recoloring existing characters is absolutely the worst way to introduce diversity into any IP.

Creating chars with their own background story and lore is the way to move forward.

Dec 21, 2020
She had some color to her, maybe she was a tan white person but I didn't think she was white at first. She turned super white when she became Zelda though.
Oh definitely them making her very fair-skinned all of a sudden as if she was "covered in dirt" was off-putting at a moment, but when I first saw her I didn't think brown I really thought "why is a tanned white girl at the foot of a giant bird?" not even ambiguous, just a white girl. Maybe it's because I've seen white women like that irl so my perspective on Tetra differs from others, but I instantly thought "that's a white girl on a bird... and she's a pirate"

I actually thought Aryll was supposed to be Zelda at one point. Just an odd plot device.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

I think they already explained to you why they dont want both. Recolouring existing characters isnt the best approach, and as I see it every now and then, black people dont even like this kind of a support.

Although it worked with Nick Fury (Sam Jackson is cool), i too dont think that this is the approach to diversify characters.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017

To me one would feel authentic and more memorable and the other would just be a palate swap and ultimately not as meaningful. We've done places outside of Hyrule before. A more diverse kingdom would be a great setting for an adventure.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
At this point the stuff that is the constants in Zelda are the (literally iconic, looking at you Ubisoft) triforce and the master sword, the broad game mechanics, and the fairytale-like setup of a hero/sage/dark force, and the goddesses. Beyond that I don't see why Zelda or even Hyrule need to be white at all. Stuff like the fairies and Ganon and even the geography and tech level and water level of Hyrule change all the time, even Zelda and Link's outfits, key colours and favoured weapons aren't set in stone, so I don't see why skin colour needs to be when it isn't the same 3 characters every time, only three archetypes echoing through time in constant conflict/connection. After a dozen or so games why not try something fresh, the beauty of the series is that it's a different generation connected with the previous ones only vaguely down through huge timespans. Why not switch the setup of the three characters around and have Zelda as the adventurer and link as the sage in support for a game or two as well.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Aren't black people worth more investment than just taking "Popular Thing" and painting it black?

Let's go the whole hog and say why not Black Mario and Black Gordon Freeman?

Oooooor we take time and consider how to make some compelling stories with existing/new black characters.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I find it a bit weird that the piece seemingly omits other races and just jumps from "everyone is white" to "black women in America" as if there's not many other skin tones, races, etc that could also be represented.

I think the most logical next step for Zelda would be to tackle the Gerudo issue with more nuance than "the brown sand people that Ganondorf came from".

Honestly I'd love to see a game based on the Gerudo tribe. Make Hyrule a much bigger world than just Link, Zelda, and Ganon.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Why not do both? What's the harm exactly in Zelda being black one go around? Does it change her character? Sure, be mindful in how tropes are handled but the generic stance against making a previously white character black seems... misguided at best to me.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
A Black Princess Zelda would definitely be a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. (Especially since it will probably help weed out any racists within the Zelda community)

I don't think it will happen just yet though, and there are other areas where Nintendo needs to address its representation in first.

I won't even give out my take on the matter, but I do think it deserves to be mentioned, this would likely not even be a suggestion if Nintendo cared to create more original POC (and specifically, black) characters. Just food for thought.

I 100% agree with this as well, we need more POC characters from Nintendo first. Either incorporate new characters into the existing IP or create new IP with POC characters.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I mean considering you get effectively a different Link and Zelda with almost every game, I don't see why one of these incarnation pairings of Link and Zelda can't be brown or black without "painting existing characters".