• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some guy in a gematsu comment section who claims to have a review copy, so obviously take with a grain of salt. It doesn't really sound that hard to believe though, but it could be BS.

A review copy a month before release is a little too early no? Im pretty sure reviews copies are given out 2 weeks before release.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
A review copy a month before release is a little too early no? Im pretty sure reviews copies are given out 2 weeks before release.
Depends on the publisher. Atlus games can go out a month in advance or more, it was how 7th Dragon on 3DS got leaked by one of the reviewers way in advance.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
It has probably been said somewhere in the thread, but its worth clarifying
  • Kazutaka Kodaka is the writer of the Danganronpa series
  • The scenes the OP finds objectionable in Danganronpa AE are played up as a joke, and never as a means to titillate.
  • Kazutaka Kodaka left Spike Chunsoft and took a huge chunk of the Danganronpa staff with him, and has no part of Zanki Zero: Last Beginning.
  • Zanki Zero: Last Beginning seems like hot trash, and is disingenuously marketed as being from the "Danganronpa team"
  • There is very little information about the new Kazutaka Kodaka game, other than the screenshot in the OP
  • It is an extreme leap of bad faith to assume the tone of the game will be similar to a game Kazutaka Kodaka has no part of.

Oct 25, 2017
Some Clarification
OP
OP
Krvavi Abadas

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Alright, it's been three days. I think i've calmed down enough to come back here.

1. No response from Spike Chunsoft, not even to that awful tweet they made a few years back. I was afraid this would happen.
  2. I already see people in this very thread claiming the AE content isn't meant to be fanservice. Despite my explanation. Which also sucks, just the fact that Zanki Zero is doing the exact same shit without trying to cloud it under being "against" child abuse should make AE's true intentions clear.
  3. On the fact the game is actually being developed by Lancarse with only a few DR devs being involved, it's still a game being actively pushed as "from the creators of DanganRonpa". So regardless of how misleading that statement is, SC really thinks it's worth tying to the franchise (Which, as previously noted, has already had issues with including pedo shit.)

Lets not jump to conclusions here.
I just find the concept of Kodaka making another game about children questionable. There's definitely a real chance it won't turn out to be a complete disaster like Another Episode. But i think it's better to be cautious about it for now.

Whut at the first part.. genuine romantic attachment to fictional characters? What...? Don't take it too personally...
See the Tumblr post i linked, i've had a really rough history with DR, and my attachment to Komaru back then was the moment, even if i didn't realize it until much later, where i finally figured out how worthless the idea of going out of your way to criticize a product for petty reasons is. Of course, my relationship sadly ended when it turned out the game was borderline offensive in it's portrayal of child abuse.

But it would lay the groundwork for my feelings for the other three characters, and allowed me to finally warm up to the franchise for a few years. They really meant a lot to me, so losing them over Spike Chunsoft failing to take any lessons from AE is incredibly upsetting.

Snow Halation

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2019
Thanks. I agree with this, albeit presumptuous since I only played 30 minutes of the first DR.

I missed this post before. Nothing wrong with not liking DR while being an AA fan, but I would still recommend playing to the end of the first trial as there's really little indication on whether you'll like it or not before then unless you REALLY hate how stylized it is and would be unable to get past that regardless of content or tone. The trial itself is super easy and basically a tutorial trial due to being impossible to localize correctly, but it's a good indication of what the rest of the series is like at its high points.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
I don't have a problem with the dialogue example from Ultra Despair Girls as that was meant to show how much of a creep and asshole Towa was but heck if that fourth chapter wasn't uncomfortable towards the end.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's a real shame that pushes for banning this content in Japan fell through because manga artists cried about freedom of expression. I hope the topic gets brought up again and this stuff is actually made illegal.
Cultivation theory is a thing. A lot of this stuff is inseparable from anime and considering a lot of people get into anime from a young age so it's normalized for them as they grow up. This leads to people getting outraged over "muh censorship" because to them this content really isn't a big deal.
But that's the problem. It is a big deal and a lot of people don't realise it.
Don't need to even look all the way into creepy anime and manga though? Japan has a larger problem with this in general. Junior idols, pin ups of young girls, stuff that's on covers of magazines for young boys, getting them used to the idea of feeling horny for girls in swimsuits from a young age. Sexualized messaging and visuals on music videos for young pop idols, handshaking events. The entire photobook industry with young girls posing seductively and sometimes almost nude with bubbles and foam covering their bodies.

It's all pretty problematic and the drawn part of the problem is just an extension of all that. It's how people think of women and girls in their entertainment, whether it's real people or drawn and animated.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know this about this game and that other stuff in Danga. Thanks for the heads up, I'll never reward them with money, even used. Always wanted to try them, heard they were weird and fun but yeah no.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Recently,I heard U.N. Try to do again.
Yeah, it is a very small footnote in the new proposal, and basically states that it will prohibit all fictional material with underage sexualization. That's gonna affect a good majority of manga, anime, and other media, because high school, so yeah that's gonna cause a huge reaction in Japan

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm reading that this censorship is not just limited to content that could be considered pedophilia. Take this with a grain of salt, but from the comments in the Gematsu article:
CGs are removed or edited, complete scenes are removed, sexual jokes are removed, gay jokes are removed, jokes about the Sachika's artificial limbs are removed and any scenes which contains violence against the children or were harmful (in a non-sexual but physical way) against them are removed.

Last edited:

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
It's almost like Danganronpa is a fucking awful series with shitty characters and writing. None of this sounds surprising at all given the overtly stupid writing displayed paired with the art.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I'm reading that this censorship is not just limited to content that could be considered pedophilia. Take this with a grain of salt, but from the comments in the Gematsu article:

Thats quite a lot of things removed if true. I will not be picking this up but interested to see how this decision pans out.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Im about to finished part 1 or could i say part 2 if we count the prologue of the game and i would like to say if i encountered any censorship it wasn't noticeable... also infact i like what i played especially the survival management part

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Oof, some of those removala are pushing it for me, and I would outright skip the english release if that happen to one of my most wanted games. Don't just remove dialogue from thw game with their being no good substitution whatsoever.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
UDG is pretty garbage but just FYI this game is actually by Lancarse and the only staff overlaps with DR are like, the DR producer and DR gameplay designer iirc.

So like, not a spoiler, but a core part of the premise of the game is that the characters are clones that rapidly age from young childhood to an elderly age and die (within two weeks iirc). Afterwards, you revive them as children again and the cycle repeats. Narratively, they retain their memories throughout this process, which they will experience many, many times through the course of the story. It's a pretty neat premise imo. In terms of gameplay, characters grow more powerful but slow down as they age, and once they die you get to carry certain things forward. All cool so far.

A secondary system, if I remember right, is the bond system ("kizuna" is the Japanese word, so I think bond is appropriate). The characters can grow close to each other over the course of the game and eventually sleep with each other. Surprisingly, you can also have characters sleep with characters of either gender, and pair them up in any combination with each other. It's a pretty big side thing in the game, and there's tons of unique dialogue and CGs. It's been a while since I watched the footage and some of this information comes from Japanese forum posts that I read at the time as well, so please, big grain of salt on this next part. It is at very least implied (perhaps outright stated but my Japanese isnt great) that some character pairings have sex with each other during these events, but never the children (this does not make their portrayal like this okay in my opinion, just relaying what I've heard/seen). The art with the kids in these scenes is very, very creepy looking as the characters are still acting, well, in character (Will absolutely not post it, feel free to search for the kizuna scenes. They've been online for a long time so search away.) and anyone who saw footage ahead of time could have seen this change coming a million miles away. I very much appreciate that every character can sleep with every other character (male or female), and there are some interesting character dynamics in there, but I do think it was insanely gauche of them to even have a go at portraying the kids the way they did (the "but they still have their memories" handwave obviously improves nothing despite their narrative intent). The characters are also portrayed like this in their elderly state, and there is a narrative that runs throughout involving social taboos and such, so they really went whole hog. Like way, way too whole hog.

To be 1000000% clear so nobody takes me as defending this; I absolutely do not think they should have portrayed the kids the way they did in the bond scenes. They are far from fully clothed and I'm surprised they went as far as they did. The art is skeevy as hell. Maybe just don't sexualize children. Wild thought, I know.
This is a very cool concept and I was starting to go "wait, no, this actually sounds thought out enough to justify pushing the envelope depending on how things are handled and framed" but then I saw the video that was posted in the thread and went "yeah not like that, never mind". Maybe with a different art style and scene framing the concept could work, but as-is it's just skeevy.

Also I don't get why people are blaming Spike Chunsoft when it's very clear that both Sony and Valve have policies against this sort of content. Valve's practically banning anything with school uniforms in it these days and I don't know what's going on with Sony.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's a bedtime event?

It definitely deserves a warning.

As I recall
the girl who's perpetuating it is revealed (somewhat indirectly?) to be a sexual abuse victim herself, so it's perhaps possible to interpret the entire thing as the game highlighting the grotesqueness of the situation. if you wanted to read really charitably into it you could argue that the game is making the point that this sort of undercurrent exists in all similar shoehorned fanservice, but again, none of that is a valid counterpoint against people interpreting the scene as out-and-out fanservice.

I've not been following Zanki Zero. Disappointing to hear this shit's in it.

As for the new game Kodaka and Uchikoshi are creating, I'm not sure I want a "death game" featuring elementary schoolers in the first place
The girl is very directly revealed to be a victim as her whole despair backstory is how her mom sold her body to men

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
What's a bedtime event?

See post 67 for a video.

Basically the issue is the CG that accompanies some text, showing the character in question reclining on a bed in their nightwear. It's the same sexy/revealing pose across all ages for the character (so child, teen/young adult, adult, and old). I can see where the ages at either end of the spectrum might be an attempt at absurdity, but I've seen too much stuff with that exact framing that is 100% serious about presenting underage characters as fap bait.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Gay jokes removed?? Homophobic ones? Coz Atlus could learn a thing or two about removing offensive gay jokes. :L

'Removed' dialogue doesnt tell us much, and removed scenes tells us nothing. How long where these scenes? Are they just referencing the bed scenes? A lot of those changes could just be localisation choices. The post also doesn't make it clear if the removals are replaced with other jokes or if they flat out remove chunks of dialogue.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Living in Japan, I am constantly annoyed with the rampant reference to loli content. It is an issue larger than a single game. it is a cultural problem.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
watched the video and yeah, glad they are gone..with the joke on the other game at least it's implied it's a bad behavior , but those bedtime child images are a bit too much even for me.

also, lol at the grandma version

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
See the Tumblr post i linked, i've had a really rough history with DR, and my attachment to Komaru back then was the moment, even if i didn't realize it until much later, where i finally figured out how worthless the idea of going out of your way to criticize a product for petty reasons is. Of course, my relationship sadly ended when it turned out the game was borderline offensive in it's portrayal of child abuse.

But it would lay the groundwork for my feelings for the other three characters, and allowed me to finally warm up to the franchise for a few years. They really meant a lot to me, so losing them over Spike Chunsoft failing to take any lessons from AE is incredibly upsetting.
I've read the post and I still have no idea what your seemingly quite odd relationship is with the DR games, and with SC as a developer.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lolipants1gkhj.png

I'm surprised that LoliPantsu isn't taking a harder stance on this.
Oh lord.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
This is a very cool concept and I was starting to go "wait, no, this actually sounds thought out enough to justify pushing the envelope depending on how things are handled and framed" but then I saw the video that was posted in the thread and went "yeah not like that, never mind". Maybe with a different art style and scene framing the concept could work, but as-is it's just skeevy.

Also I don't get why people are blaming Spike Chunsoft when it's very clear that both Sony and Valve have policies against this sort of content. Valve's practically banning anything with school uniforms in it these days and I don't know what's going on with Sony.
Right? They almost make a cool thing happen but they're just off a bit too far in this direction.

Enrico25

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
So is the game good?
I'd like to support every new game made from DR devs after that masterpiece of Danganronpa V3.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I've read the post and I still have no idea what your seemingly quite odd relationship is with the DR games, and with SC as a developer.

Same, I've read the tumblr post twice and I have no idea what they are trying to say. It doesn't seem like they have even played the games? But I am not sure if it's just my reading comprehension being horrible.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I saw a trailer for this yesterday and thought the concept of these folks trapped on some island and having to keep cloning themselves ad infinitum was cool. Where one of the goals to get stronger is to die so you can be reborn. Now i see this thread and find out that there was a bunch of gross pedo shit in the game kind of cooled me off on it. Shit should have never been in the game period. If you're crying about this shit being removed, you probably need to be on a list. Shit is gross.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For those that want to try the game, there's an English demo available in Hong Kong. I believe it's the censored version since its release is recent. I haven't tried myself.
https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/HP0365-CUSA14902_00-ZAZASIAPS4TRIAL0
I played this demo last night. It's significant. Took me 3 hours to finish it.

I really enjoyed what I played. This i probably my most anticipated game with a release date, at the moment.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following people playing this game for a while and I didn't even know there was that kinda stuff in there....
Kinda weird given that two of the character's backstories involve explicitly negative experiences with pedophiles.
Does this mean they can take out on of the main villain's outright admission of being siscon for their drastically younger half-sister out too? Because they're still mostly likeable outside of that.

It definitely deserves a warning.

As I recall
the girl who's perpetuating it is revealed (somewhat indirectly?) to be a sexual abuse victim herself, so it's perhaps possible to interpret the entire thing as the game highlighting the grotesqueness of the situation. if you wanted to read really charitably into it you could argue that the game is making the point that this sort of undercurrent exists in all similar shoehorned fanservice, but again, none of that is a valid counterpoint against people interpreting the scene as out-and-out fanservice.

I've not been following Zanki Zero. Disappointing to hear this shit's in it.

As for the new game Kodaka and Uchikoshi are creating, I'm not sure I want a "death game" featuring elementary schoolers in the first place
What you said is definitely the intent, but the presentation is still extremely gross. For a topic like this, if you want to make a joke you need to balance the scales of humor and sincerity and the scale seriously tipped way too much into humor during the end of that chapter and made the whole thing extremely gross.

OP
OP
Krvavi Abadas

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Same, I've read the tumblr post twice and I have no idea what they are trying to say. It doesn't seem like they have even played the games? But I am not sure if it's just my reading comprehension being horrible.

I'll try to sum it up.
  • Young babby Krvavi was a frequent poster on the SEGA Forums.
  • babby Krvavi learns about Dangan Ronpa from fans of the game getting banned from the Something Awful forums. (This was back when the only english version of the game available was a fan translated LP on there.)
  • babby Krvavi then starts constantly posting about how terrible the franchise is on the SEGA Forums. Despite knowing very little about it.
  • Another Episode is announced, babby Krvavi ends up getting interested in a DR game for the first time ever. Which eventually evolves into a genuine crush on Komaru.
  • AE comes out, babby Krvavi learns about the pedo content in it and loses his soul.
  • babby Krvavi then falls into a deep depression until he watches an Anime about SEGA consoles reimagined as Anime girls, which rejuvenates his soul and sets him on the path to becoming the game archivist he is today.
The post predates my interest in the V3 trio, so that's why it's not mentioned.

I was hoping to play V3 at some point due to said trio, but that's obviously not going to happen now.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The biggest problem here is that people who consume real pedophile material and the people distributing it are laughing their asses when they see us talking here because they can do whatever the fuck they want while people are calling themselves pedos because of fictional content. Yes, the real evil is out there, still lurking but we are talking about drawn Artworks with no nudity.

The communication from Spike Chunsoft is a mess because they actual marketing their game as pedophile material. Funny thing is, the game received it's rating in Germany a while ago when the content wasn't removed. Same goes for the PEGI-Rating. From both the game received a 16 and up rating. Spike Chunsoft only made it worse. It seems like the game will miss quite a bit content wise. We are not speaking about an edited artwork or something like that, they cut out content and it seems like there isn't any replacement for it.

Cancel it completely for the West would have been the better choice instead of bringing people to create horrible thread titles like this here.

salamence

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
User banned (permanent): troll account
fu₢k you all $hitty leftists SJWs, yours are a bunch of a$$h0les who thinks who the world it has to be the way yours want it, they want to impose their cr4ppy cravings but in the end it's not yours who will buy it and another thing I have to say who likes loli and shota is not a pedophile, you are so hyp0crites that they leave talking like they like of loli and shota are pedophiles but yours are all annoyed when someone tells them that who plays GTA is a thief, that who plays Counter Strike, Left 2 Dead, Battlefield and other shooting games comes out killing others with guns in schools, churches and other places

and being loli and shota does not mean being underaged, a lot of girls and a lot of guys above 18 years has loli and shota appearances

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fu₢k you all $hitty leftists SJWs, yours are a bunch of a$$h0les who thinks who the world it has to be the way yours want it, they want to impose their cr4ppy cravings but in the end it's not yours who will buy it and another thing I have to say who likes loli and shota is not a pedophile, you are so hyp0crites that they leave talking like they like of loli and shota are pedophiles but yours are all annoyed when someone tells them that who plays GTA is a thief, that who plays Counter Strike, Left 2 Dead, Battlefield and other shooting games comes out killing others with guns in schools, churches and other places

and being loli and shota does not mean being underaged, a lot of girls and a lot of guys above 18 years has loli and shota appearances
Lolicon literally means pedophile dumbass

May 7, 2019
User Banned (permanent): Excusing Sexualized Depictions of Minors; Account in Junior Phase

Oh fucking boy, there's a lot to unpack here. Let's just get the 6 worst words to form a sentence out of the way first.

This and three other things (The packaging needing to be toned down over sexual content has also happened with games that don't involve characters that look like children being sexualized. Thankfully.) with similar descriptions, according to Spike Chunsoft. Were removed to "reduce content which could be interpreted as sexualization of characters depicted as minors," But that doesn't excuse the fact it shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.

But it gets worse! This isn't even the first time the Dangan Ronpa devs have released a game with pedo content!
Danganronpa_AnotherEpisode_Cover.jpg

Another Fucking Episode, which is conveniently nearing it's 5th birthday. Featured an entire segment devoted to a character that's an actual fucking child (For real, they don't even use the "she's really 100 years old!" excuse) molesting someone, which was intentionally played for fanservice! The fucking fight ends with the child's clothes getting sliced off too!

and that's not even the end of it. one child forcibly kissing another, someone calling a pedophile "cute" for admitting they are one.
tumblr_nuai37awX21qhhv13o1_1280.jpg

("Fun" Fact: the girl trying to call her out? She is the one that slices the childs clothes off!)
The game is a fucking mess, yet i've seen so many people in the DR fandom defend it, claiming that the game is actually "against" child abuse.
Mind you, they've sold merch playing off that molestation scene as a cutesy character trait.
5XAztNi.png

and even the official western Spike Chunsoft Twitter (I wanted to avoid posting images of the scene for obvious reasons, but it's clear that an exception needs to be made in this case.) joked about it a few years ago!

The worst part, for me at least. Was that i always thought it was Kazutaka Kodaka's fault for including the scenes in there, and that him leaving would mean that this shit would never happen again. But nope! They never fucking learned!

By the way, did you know that Kodaka is collaborating with Kotaro Uchikoshi (Zero Escape, the upcoming AI: The Somnium Files. Which is his last project at Spike Chunsoft.) to make another game about children?
Deathmatch-Club-Init_10-03-18.jpg

There's no mention of the elements that made AE so awful being in the game yet, but i do not even remotely trust them.

I've talked about my really rough history with Dangan Ronpa on here, how AE completely fucked me up when it first launched after getting initially hyped for it, how i gained a genuine romantic attachment to Kiibo, Miu, and Ouma. (Which is exactly the same thing that happened with AE and Komaru!) But here we are, it's all happening again. The DR devs made more pedo shit, i've lost all of my attachment to those three characters, and the only difference is that i'm no longer a 15 year old kid who was previously hating the franchise for petty reasons.

I'm fucking tired. Don't be surprised if i just completely duck out of the internet for a few weeks. The THQ Nordic incident (Who has a company i previously highly respected before that thanks to their game preservation work.) was bad enough, but this makes that whole incident look like a joke!

Oh, and don't even start with the "Why is violence okay but sexualized children isn't!!!!" bullshit. You know who you fucking are, and you fucking know you're a pedophile for finding that shit arousing.

Edit: I almost forgot, here's proof that Zanki Zero is being marketed as being by the same team that made Dangan Ronpa.

Calling Ultra despair girls trash only because it has some pedo stuff is seriously stupid. That is not how someone reviews the quality of a game. Also all of the pedo stuff where in the game either to make a point in the story or to make a joke. Maybe you should learn to pay attention to the story, or to get a better sense of humor, or maybe you should stop being so sensitive about fictional content.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Calling Ultra despair girls trash only because it has some pedo stuff is seriously stupid. That is not how someone reviews the quality of a game. Also all of the pedo stuff where in the game either to make a point in the story or to make a joke. Maybe you should learn to pay attention to the story, or to get a better sense of humor, or maybe you should stop being so sensitive about fictional content.

Did you really just bump the thread and make your first posts about defending the pedo shit in UDG? That's actually pretty funny, no joke.

Even without the pedo shit, the game honestly isn't that good. The story, compared to the other 3 games, is mediocre. The villains suck. The gameplay is mediocre. Honestly, the only good thing I can say about the game is that Toko is a better character in here than she is in the rest of the franchise.

If not for DR3 (anime), it would be the worst piece of media in the franchise. Well, minus the Killer Killer manga, but no one counts that.

Mars Beta

Banned
May 19, 2019
User Banned (permanent): troll account
User banned (permanent): troll account
They call who is against you troll and love to censor who is against you but just someone smack you in the face that already start to cry, you leftists are really a joke because they censure who does not beat your ideas but love to classify who tries to stop the shit that you do as a censor, and this when they do not try to defend absurdities like the dictatorship in Venezuela.

You can banish me again, everything is being printed to be leaked all over the internet and you are ashamed.
Imagine making an alt account just to stan pedophilia. Check your life mate.
I'm not that guy, and fuck you you awful leftist your bitch mother is sitting here on my dick.
Someone was fuming lol
Imagine defending pedophilia but censoring curse words.

And also censoring "hypocrites" for some reason.
Did you really just bump the thread and make your first posts about defending the pedo shit in UDG? That's actually pretty funny, no joke.

Even without the pedo shit, the game honestly isn't that good. The story, compared to the other 3 games, is mediocre. The villains suck. The gameplay is mediocre. Honestly, the only good thing I can say about the game is that Toko is a better character in here than she is in the rest of the franchise.

If not for DR3 (anime), it would be the worst piece of media in the franchise. Well, minus the Killer Killer manga, but no one counts that.
Shut up assholes yours are a bunch of hypocrite leftists, please seems it as a proof:
https://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/noti...artista-nu-em-museu-de-sp-gera-polemica.ghtml
Lolicon literally means pedophile dumbass
Dumbass is your mother that bitch and this forum is so scrotal that neither banished you, this shitty forum only bans who doesn't is leftist.

Status
Not open for further replies.