• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Some older pics of it still under construction

qLB2snH.jpg

0KTDdDU.jpg

6FolWQY.jpg

And now . . .

Beijing's latest, hotly anticipated skyscraper opened to the public today: the Zaha Hadid Architects-designed Leeza SOHO tower already made a big splash in architectural media long before it was even finished with its 623-foot-tall, full-height atrium (the world's tallest) and spectacular, Piranesiesque construction photos of the, then still rising, structural skeleton.
"Leeza SOHO's site is diagonally dissected by an underground subway service tunnel," explains project description from ZHA. "Straddling this tunnel, the tower's design divides its volume into two halves enclosed by a single facade shell. The emerging space between these two halves extends the full height of the tower, creating the world's tallest atrium at 194.15m which rotates through the building as the tower rises to realign the upper floors with Lize road to the north."

"This rotation of the atrium intertwines Leeza SOHO's two halves in a dynamic 'pas de deux' with connecting skybridges on levels 13, 24, 35 and 45; its glaced facade giving panoramic views across the city. Leeza SOHO's atrium acts as a public square for the new business district, linking all spaces within the tower and providing varying views due to its twisting, sculptural form; creating a fantastic new civic space for Beijing that is directly connected to the city's transport network."

GTJbLAi.jpg

kND0Nvu.jpg

QPNddDv.jpg

NZ7ARSt.jpg

8oOhaiN.jpg

🆒

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
An absolutely beautiful building with incredibly ugly surroundings. What a waste.

Agreed. It's one thing to have a simply gorgeous building, but it's another thing to have it fit the scenery. In Sydney, we have a bunch of nice modern architecture buildings, but they're clustered around a specific area of the city, instead of being dotted across the city in the middle of older buildings with more primitive architectural styles. I believe Paris does the same thing with its modern high-rise buildings.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom cruise bout to jump inside this

also technically it's two buildings with a big skirt.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Saying this when the building is for a publicly traded company and architect is Iraqi just makes you come across as incredibly Xenophobic.

"Leeza SOHO's atrium acts as a public square for the new business district, linking all spaces within the tower and providing varying views due to its twisting, sculptural form; creating a fantastic new civic space for Beijing that is directly connected to the city's transport network."

You're right, It's a good thing that the capital city of the country currently putting protesting students and Uyghurs in concentration camps has a fantastic new civic space.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): inflammatory accusation
"Leeza SOHO's atrium acts as a public square for the new business district, linking all spaces within the tower and providing varying views due to its twisting, sculptural form; creating a fantastic new civic space for Beijing that is directly connected to the city's transport network."

You're right, It's a good thing that the capital city of the country currently putting protesting students and Uyghurs in concentration camps has a fantastic new civic space.

Good ole fashion racism. Good for you.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that is a pretty gorgeous building.

Jesus, America's architecture is fucking lacking!

Not at all! The US has some gorgeous buildings of varying styles built throughout the ages. St. Patrick's Cathedral is an amazing work of art for example.

Zaha Hadid also has an interesting building in New York.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
pretty cool. wonder why they never build any buckwild ass weirdo skyscrapers in america

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
If you boil it down its just two large towers with some glass glued between them. Amazing.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Good ole fashion racism. Good for you.
How the fuck was that racist? Criticism of China is racist?

The building looks incredible though. I'm a big fan of glass skyscrapers though apparently they're not good for the environment. On this basis I keep imagining we're due to enter a new era of materials but this looks so organic and modern, the way they're pushing glass makes me think this style will be here for a while yet.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I expect Dom and La Familia to drive their cars in and around that atrium in the near future.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
ZHA's work is at the best when a bit more restrained, which I think this is. This is better than their other towers but at the end of the day the design still very formal. The atrium design doesn't seem to be environmentally driven like the Gherkin was. It seems a bit dark and not particularly functional. The ground floor space at the bottom of the atrium that's "for the public" looks pretty dead. I mean, I don't see this as being more radical or have ideas compared with the high tech buildings decades ago like the Lloyds in London or HSBC building in HK.

It looks cool from the outside at night I guess but doesn't really provide much to the deep plans with bridge only connecting every ten floors or so.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That's a great looking building - at least from the inside. I've stayed in a couple of Marriott Marquis hotels with open atriums like this (although not quite as tall and certainly not as cool) and I find them scary on a really primal level, so I'd probably enjoy / hate staying here.