• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had a good time with the first 3/4, but the last quarter took a huge nosedive. Still enjoyable enough.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
As I said, I find every major criticism completely valid. I've also seen way worse schlock in my day so, while it's nothing to write home about, I was never invested enough to get angry at the obvious shortcomings.

I wasn't angry -- if anything, the main problem was that it wasn't schlocky enough.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I wasn't angry -- if anything, the main problem was that it wasn't schlocky enough.

That's my major problem, as well.

There's joy in schlock. Even discounting the "classics" of the genre, watch something like Nightmare City (1980) where they do so much more with so much less. Zombi 2 had a practical zombie vs. shark fight that was more impressive than the fakey tiger.

Army of the Dead is a joyless regression.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That's my major problem, as well.

There's joy in schlock. Even discounting the "classics" of the genre, watch something like Nightmare City (1980) where they do so much more with so much less. Zombi 2 had a practical zombie vs. shark fight that was more impressive than the fakey tiger.

Army of the Dead is a joyless regression.

THE NIGHTMARE BECOMES REALITY

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I found it to be pretty average. I didn't care for the payoff, or literal lack there of. Obviously set itself up for a sequel which is smart but I'm indifferent.

I did like Dieter and see there is a spin-off prequel movie with him that I'd probably be willing to watch.

Oct 27, 2017

One of my favourite film analysis YouTube channels Filmento has covered this, and he pretty much goes over the same flaws most people have noticed, such as the tonal inconsistencies, the setup with no payoff and the dumb logic throughout.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
If folks enjoyed this garbage movie that's awesome, more power to them.

But the number of comments I've seen (not just on here) since release along the lines of "Why did anyone expect more" or "I enjoyed the film for what it was" I really struggle with.

There's nothing wrong with wanting or expecting better regardless of genre, and regardless of who's behind it.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

But the number of comments I've seen (not just on here) since release along the lines of "Why did anyone expect more" or "I enjoyed the film for what it was" I really struggle with.

There's nothing wrong with wanting or expecting better regardless of genre, and regardless of who's behind it.

I liked the movie, but I agree with the sentiment. Whenever I see someone defend a bad video game adaptation by saying "It was good by video game movie standards" or "Well, at least it wasn't directed by Uwe Boll," I usually roll my eyes without saying anything.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Fuck this movie, and everyone please watch Day of the dead by George. A Romero.
Cos that is one Of the best moviesof the 80's and easily the best zombie Movie ever made.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

At the end of the day, it was made for a subscription-based streaming platform. It's not unreasonable to think people have different expectations when they don't have to fork money for theater tickets or VOD or whatever to watch it. The mind works differently when it's essentially 'free'. The only thing you're really losing out on is time which is fair enough if you think it's a garbage movie.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I kind of feel like many people here had more fun getting frustrated with the movie than watching it.

I don't usually give bad movies a pass, I watched it and it struck me as an average schlock zombie flick, definitely with its frustrating characters (IE, the useless person that ends up screwing everything up) but that seems more an expected trope of these kinds of movies these days.

Everyone's complaints here are definitely valid and I tend to agree with all of the points made, but in the end I found the whole to still be a relatively passable, at times even enjoyable waste of time.
What if you had to pay $15 for it?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said, I find every major criticism completely valid. I've also seen way worse schlock in my day so, while it's nothing to write home about, I was never invested enough to get angry at the obvious shortcomings.

People thinking a movie sucks doesn't mean they are angry.

This is a pretty lame rhetorical shortcut to dismiss things. Nobody can dislike things, they must be angry malcontents!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
At the end of the day, it was made for a subscription-based streaming platform. It's not unreasonable to think people have different expectations when they don't have to fork money for theater tickets or VOD or whatever to watch it. The mind works differently when it's essentially 'free'. The only thing you're really losing out on is time which is fair enough if you think it's a garbage movie.

See, I've seen that sentiment too - that it was made for Netflix. But then so was The Irishman.

Oscar-winning movies have been made for subscription-based streaming platforms. Now, to be 100% absolutely clear, I'm not saying I expected an Oscar-winning movie here with Army but just because it's on Netflix I really don't personally readjust my expectation.

Just like if I missed a film's theatrical run in the past, that wouldn't suddenly affect my enjoyment of said movie if I could only then watch it at home on the smaller screen.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

It's okay to eat a McDonald's hamburger when you just need some quick food, but it's also okay to say "Boy, whoever made that particular hamburger fucked up. All the ingredients were of poor quality and it tasted terrible".

I've eaten far better hamburgers made of far worse ingredients that were prepared by much better chefs, or at least chefs who somehow bumbled their way into something tasty.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to eat a McDonald's hamburger when you just need some quick food, but it's also okay to say "Boy, whoever made that particular hamburger fucked up. All the ingredients were of poor quality and it tasted terrible".

I've eaten far better hamburgers made of far worse ingredients that were prepared by much better chefs, or at least chefs who somehow bumbled their way into something tasty.
What if the hamburger is free and delivered to your home while restaurants around you are closed for the better half of the year?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What if the hamburger is free and delivered to your home while restaurants around you are closed for the better half of the year?

Plenty of other hamburgers are delivered to my house for "free" as well. It's not like anyone is starving.

Besides, lowering expectations for streaming content makes sense when it comes to budgetary things like casting, special effects, or locations. It doesn't excuse just dropping the fundamentals of filmmaking. The story, editing, and cinematography in Army are just plain inept.

Smaller productions have done exponentially more with much less, especially in the zombie genre. Basically every other zombie movie has had a smaller budget and been better.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
You can get free food from local businesses? Nice.

I've never seen a defense of a film make it look worse lol

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I've seen my fair share of movies for free (used to get free tickets all the time) but it never broke my sense of recognizing a bad movie.
Now am I able to like movies even knowing they are bad? Hells yes.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People thinking a movie sucks doesn't mean they are angry.

This is a pretty lame rhetorical shortcut to dismiss things. Nobody can dislike things, they must be angry malcontents!

Dude, I'm not Zack Snider, no need to jump up MY ass 😛

I made it perfectly clear that I felt that all the complaints are valid, and at no point hand waved or 'dismissed' anything. I've been pretty clear I wasn't invested enough to really get upset in the first place.

My comment about folks who are angry is probably more directed to those saying it is literally the worst film they've ever seen. Maybe I'm just much older, but I've seen way worse shit in my day. Stuff that made this look like a ridley Scott masterpiece. Although, in retrospect, the horrible depth of field would also be a valid argument for this.

Last edited:

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What if you had to pay $15 for it?

I'd probably be a little more upset? Point being I didn't have to - and I've sat through way worse shit on Netflix. Even things that some people purported to be 'good'. I don't really judge movies based on "what if", I judge them based on the circumstances in which I'm viewing them, my frame of mind, and whether or not I was bored.

it was schlocky at times, and it kept me relatively entertained during my workout. I certainly didn't find it as insulting as others, but maybe I really just didn't care enough 😛

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
If anyone does watch one cut of the dead. You must and I repeat must give it at least 35 mins.

You may want to switch it off you really shouldn't.

Thanks for listening.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm still irritated at all those 'fresh' reviews from 'top critics'. Why has the quality of writing plummeted in recent years? I swear it didn't used to be this bad... in fact it was pretty boring, general consensus for movies was predictable with Armond White making a scene now and then. Nowadays any piece of shit gets praise from outlets like Variety, RogerEbert.com, etc.

Ebert's site may have given this movie 2 and a half out of 4 (wtf kind of system goes up to 4?), but read the actual review and be baffled by how lenient the reviewer was. Incompetent movies like Army of the Dead need disdain and evisceration, not mercy and sympathy. The time to publically shame directors through biting reviews, Pauline Kael-style, needs to return so they never dare to half-ass it again.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No one here, in this thread, has called it literally the worst film they've ever seen.

Dude, really? literally one page back:

one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Complete trash in basically every category.

Which, again, I maintain is a perfectly valid perspective. Not one I agree with personally, but it is what it is.

I know there are many more because I've been following this thread for a while, but that would be a much bigger waste of my time than this movie was. (Edit- Scarecrow wins play of the thread lol)

Now, before we get embroiled in some bad faith semantics because someone said it was 'one of' the worst and not 'THE' worst. 😛 my point is, again I've seen much more awful movies than this one, I simply was not invested in it enough to care.
(Edit - in retrospect, binging Best of the Worst during quarantine has probably expanded my perspective in just how bad a movie can be. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for crap.)

This film was maybe a D+ at best, but I didn't shut it off. Hence, not the worst I've seen.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one here, in this thread, has called it literally the worst film they've ever seen.
Uh...
one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Complete trash in basically every category.
Probably the worst movie I've seen in years.
Reminded me of Uwe Boll stuff.
One of the worst movies I've ever fast forwarded through. Absolute shit.
And those are only from the previous page. I haven't bothered reading past the last two pages of this thread, but I bet there's plenty. Not that they're necessarily wrong to have this opinion or anything.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Dude, really? literally one page back:

Which, again, I maintain is a perfectly valid perspective. Not one I agree with personally, but it is what it is.

I know there are many more because I've been following this thread for a while, but that would be a much bigger waste of my time than this movie was. (Edit- Scarecrow wins play of the thread lol)

Uh...

And those are only from the previous page. I haven't bothered reading past the last two pages of this thread, but I bet there's plenty. Not that they're necessarily wrong to have this opinion or anything.

Can you guys read? None of those comments say literally THE worst film they've ever seen.

Like, you understand the difference between "one of" and "the" yes?

This is the second time, in this thread, that someone has said people in here are saying it's the worst film ever. They aren't. One of the worst, yes. Zack Snyder's worst, yes. The worst film folks have seen in years, yes.

You're free to Ctrl + F every page if you want.

Last edited:

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Can you guys read? None of those comments say literally THE worst film they've ever seen.

Really? Funny you left this out when you quoted me:

Now, before we get embroiled in some bad faith semantics because someone said it was 'one of' the worst and not 'THE' worst…

I have no trouble reading, though your selective quoting is raising my eyebrow a bit.

Either way, bad-faith semantics aside, I think my point stands. Accept your internet defeat with grace. Where do I pick up my trophy?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Now, before we get embroiled in some bad faith semantics because someone said it was 'one of' the worst and not 'THE' worst. 😛

There's nothing bad faith about it, you said people seemed to have more fun getting frustrated at the film, then followed that up saying the comment was aimed at people calling it literally the worst film they've ever seen. I'm pointing out to you that that is factually not true, so I could call your comment hyperbolic to be honest.

I think what's happening, regardless of whether folks think it's a bad film or "one of" the worst, is that there's a much more concentrated negative reaction to it than there is positive in this thread. And at a glance, that might make it look like the response is even more negative than it really is.

Really? I'd say you're more predictable than Snyder's screenplay was.

I have no trouble reading, though your selective quoting is raising my eyebrow a bit.

Either way, bad-faith semantics aside, I think my point stands. Accept your internet defeat with grace. Where do I pick up my trophy?

I have no idea what you're on about but okay.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what you're on about but okay.

I'd say you've been hitting up the protoculture a bit too much my friend.

edit - sorry, got too excited about my Robotech reference I hit post too quickly. I'm not disagreeing with anyone that it was a 'bad' movie. Again, those opinions are valid. I'm simply saying, I can't work up the same frustration over it because I've seen way, way worse.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know... Not to say that Army of the Dead is "good" (although I did find it fun when I watched it), but it's competing with the like of Sucker Punch...

To me, Army of the Dead was Snyder's best film, but it's mostly because I usually can't stand his work at all.

I dunno, fam. Like, I don't wanna go and repeat what people ITT have already went over with AoD. I usually give Snyder a pass because at the very least his movies are visually interesting but AoD doesn't have any redeeming qualities that can be found in his other works (imo).

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it...eugh Snyder really going Michael Bay in this one. It's corny, too much slo mo and it takes longer than it should be. Terrible but not as bad as Sucker Punch though.