• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Yeah, I've gone and read some of the reviews and it is bewildering. I recently read A.A. Dowd's review and it seems impossible to reconcile what he says with what was on screen:
  • "This is a new kind of Snyder cut: fleet and almost breezy, even at a characteristically extended 2 1/2 hours."
  • "This is a long movie, but it doesn't feel long. It moves"
  • "It's almost always striking. Occasionally, it achieves a Grand Guignol grandeur"
  • "But the stacked cast (led by Bautista, that slab of empathetic strong-man sensitivity) underscores the uncommon humanity of the material this time around. The personalities may be shopworn, but they're personalities all the same, funny and engaging."
  • "That the film doesn't belabor or over-stress its political conscience is vintage Romero, in the best sense."

What film was he watching?

I can agree with some of that.

This film is far (very far) from being a masterpiece, don't get me wrong, but I don't get all the hate in this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, people think Dieter is still alive? We have Vanderohe not get bitten and shoved in a vault and closed by Dieter as he is being attacked by the Alpha Crow. Then a nuke goes off and Vanderohe was magically bitten. Dieter died from the Alpha attack and would've died from the nuke.

Yeah, I assume Dieter died but I prefer less ambiguous deaths in my zombie films. I mean the last thing we saw of him he was being grappled away from the vault by King Zombie and King Zombie just went Mano a Mano fisticuffs with Vanderohe so that shows he has a penchant for a jolly good manly punch up rather than going straight for the bite so maybe, just maybe Dieter only got slapped about a bit and then hid somewhere nuke proof because that's no stupider as a scenario than the rest of the film.

Still want to know what happened to Gita though, all that farting around to save such a non character (from what! Zombies keep hostages now? But whyyyyy), she goes down with the chopper and we never see what happens to her which I found a little irritating.

To be honest though, the most egregious thing this film does is show Vanderohe using the mighty saw in the intro to chop up a zombie, then for whatever reason he has it buried in the desert in a barrel and we get a whole bit where he digs it up and kisses it or whatever, and then the scene where he goes all Alpha on Theo Rossi because he touched his precious saw - and then the saw is never used on any zombies.

It cuts through a concrete wall instead which is unforgivably shit.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I assume Dieter died but I prefer less ambiguous deaths in my zombie films. I mean the last thing we saw of him he was being grappled away from the vault by King Zombie and King Zombie just went Mano a Mano fisticuffs with Vanderohe so that shows he has a penchant for a jolly good manly punch up rather than going straight for the bite so maybe, just maybe Dieter only got slapped about a bit and then hid somewhere nuke proof because that's no stupider as a scenario than the rest of the film.

Still want to know what happened to Gita though, all that farting around to save such a non character (from what! Zombies keep hostages now? But whyyyyy), she goes down with the chopper and we never see what happens to her which I found a little irritating.

To be honest though, the most egregious thing this film does is show Vanderohe using the mighty saw in the intro to chop up a zombie, then for whatever reason he has it buried in the desert in a barrel and we get a whole bit where he digs it up and kisses it or whatever, and then the scene where he goes all Alpha on Theo Rossi because he touched his precious saw - and then the saw is never used on any zombies.

I felt it was anything but ambiguous. It is an awfully large assumption to assume someone with two hands on their face while screaming bloody murder didn't die, whether from alpha zombie or any other zombie that is filling up that hallway.

The saw like the rain was just underused. Why didn't they just use the saw on the flimsy gate that was overhead? She was still hanging and using it, not just the lock and follow him up?

I am also curious why they are trying to sneak into a zombie infested land and have no silencers. I understand a real silencer isn't that loud but this is a movie silencer.

Also why didn't they at least try to hide the queen's body?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I was really underwhelmed. I would have rather watched a host of similar films like Resident Evil or Doomsday. I don't know it was just very average.

Oct 27, 2017
It's all needlessly convoluted. If the real point of the mission is for Bly Tanaka to get a vial of blood from a super zombie (or the queen's entire head), why even bother with the whole suicide squad heist angle. Just say "hey guys, I need a super zombie head, I'll give you a million bucks if you nip in and grab one", the Zombie queen showed up about 10 seconds after they infiltrate Vegas - shoot her then, nab the head/blood whatever and back out the way they came. Piece of piss, 10 minutes, job done.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
lol there was even an OT thread about someone freaking out about it

www.resetera.com

Seeing hot pixels on my Sony X900E (backlit LED) when watching HDR content via Netflix app on XSX

For the last few months I have noticed this on varying Netflix HDR content. A few key aspects: I had not witnessed this last year's content. Not noticed in games in HDR. The hot pixels tend change position and in number from one cut to another and disappear in other shots (saw this happen while...

Omg I was rubbing those stuck pixels like my life depended on it. It wasn't frame corrected?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Flashback to when the social media embargo lifted:

CanineFatherlyHalibut-size_restricted.gif

I don't know, I personally think that second review is on to something. I enjoyed this about as much as Suicide Squad.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
It's all needlessly convoluted. If the real point of the mission is for Bly Tanaka to get a vial of blood from a super zombie (or the queen's entire head), why even bother with the whole suicide squad heist angle. Just say "hey guys, I need a super zombie head, I'll give you a million bucks if you nip in and grab one", the Zombie queen showed up about 10 seconds after they infiltrate Vegas - shoot her then, nab the head/blood whatever and back out the way they came. Piece of piss, 10 minutes, job done.

because 50 million is a lot more money to divide out between a large group than 1 million...

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
because 50 million is a lot more money to divide out between a large group than 1 million...
But if they made it clear they only needed the head they wouldn't have needed the large group. They needed max. two, maybe three, people. The Queen ain't shit, she was incapacitated and beheaded without any troubles by fake-Burke and that woman.

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of mention of dead pixels and out of focus shots in many of the RT reviews reminds me of video game reviews where the reviewers fail to mention horrendous FPS or game-breaking bugs lol.

To be fair, when you're reviewing a Netflix film or show pre-release, it's watermarked to shit. The dof didn't bother me, but I haven't been back to watch the final version. I had no chance of spotting dead pixels either.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
I saw this movie this week-end, and I wasn't impressed. I found it decent, but not something worth paying a cinema ticket for. A few flaws come to mind:

- When the group break into the quarantined area, they open a door that was closed by an horizontal plank. But then, how do they close the door behind them? Are they irresponsible enough to leave it open? The movie doesnt show.
- When you suspect someone of plotting something, the very last thing you should do is telling him to his face that you suspect him. How stupid did that woman had to be to paint a target on her back like that?
- Now, the part that really irked me, is the whole protagonist going to search for his daughter in that freaking huge hostel sequence. There was a whole 9 minutes left before the nuclear detonation, and those idiots somehow decided they had the time to search the huge building with only one person doing the search, evacuate to the chopper, and fly to a safe distance. In nine minutes.
That not the worst. The worst is the evacuation. You have the protagonist that just pause before climbing in the chopper and smile at his daughter, like this is over, they're safe, and they totally forget the super-zombie that was hot on their tracks (but somehow still took a good 30 seconds to enter the roof, he surely didn't want to interrupt), or that the city is about to get nuked. What the hell? They should have jumped in asap and ordered the pilot to get the hell away.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Its like he watched Aliens, went to bed with his head full of Cameron goodness, then woke up the next morning and wrote this.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
I can't get over Zack Snyder's voice. I always figured he must have this deep bro-man voice, come to find out he sounds like Charlie Kelly.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Clearly Dieter won over king zombie, with his innocent charisma. Also if I was Van, I'd just try to kill myself.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm assuming they didn't think it was going to be that easy. I also think the crew was used a distraction. Going straight in to kill the queen and bounce didn't really seem like an option. They still needed to sacrifce someone to be able to roam around.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
When I saw that he wrote it in the opening credits I knew what I was in for.

He really shouldn't write.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like when zombies have free thought and can organize it ruins zombies. I think of the same thing with Star Trek and the borg. The fear is they can not be reasoned with can't be stopped just wave after wave until the hero has to give up.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I feel like when zombies have free thought and can organize it ruins zombies. I think of the same thing with Star Trek and the borg. The fear is they can not be reasoned with can't be stopped just wave after wave until the hero has to give up.
I don't mind zombie having limited social skills and intelligence. I don't even mind them having a hierarchy of sorts an instinctual intelligence that places certain zombies above others.

I really like the way herds form in the Walking Dead comic for example. Small groups of zombies literally bumping into each other and forming a larger whole.

I'm not even against zombies being able to do very simple tasks such as if they are holding a gun they can fire the gun.

I am against things like marital arts zombies, zombies riding horses, zombies holding hostages, etc.

Anything that zombies create by being near each other shouldn't be higher than what you would get in a very large herd or pack of animals. Except they should have no self preservation.

And muscle memory can only take you so far. I'm not against a martial artist turned zombie to be able to attack with muscle memory moves. But dodging should be beyond them. There are two many active thought processes in combat. All rhe zombie should be able to think is "combat" and throw a mean punch or kick. If they could so actively think they would start wearing helmets.

Knowing that a horse can be transportation is one thing. But to expertly ride a horse should be Beyond a zombies physical capabilities. Like I could see a zombie climb on a horse and hold the reins, but the second even a zombie horse gallops the zombie should fall off. There are too many active thought processes involved in riding a horse than even the smartest zombie should be unable to do it.

It reminded me of the 2008 Day of the Dead movie where a turned comrade wouldn't attack because he was vegan when alive. Zombies shouldn't have those sorts of thought processes. They are literally the most base instincts of humanity.

That's not to say the ideas for zombies in this movie can't work. The original Dawn and Day of the Dead explored the basics of it. But if your going to do it, there needs to be a reason. And that reason needs to be told in the story.

Stealth edit - I double checked and "Bud" was a vegetarian in the 2008 version not a vegan and Sarah was a military officer who, despite trying to quarantine her home town, had an unloaded gun on her.

Last edited:

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of thoughts but a little too tired to properly voice them, so I'll just say I was lukewarm on the film but don't regret watching it, however it does make me wish zombie movies had more monster variety like Left 4 Dead/Back 4 Blood. If you want me to believe zombies can beat the military I'm gonna need to see a zombie hulk.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming they didn't think it was going to be that easy. I also think the crew was used a distraction. Going straight in to kill the queen and bounce didn't really seem like an option. They still needed to sacrifce someone to be able to roam around.
Why couldn't they just take down the queen at the beginning of entering Vegas and then bail out? Why do they need to roam around afterward?

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it, and felt like I absolutely wasted my time. It felt like an 80's cheese movie that not only wasn't entertaining enough to make up for its glaring, many issues, said many issues took me right out of the movie most of the time.

What a piece of shit lol.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Finished watching it. It's fine. Not great not terrible.

The characters are whatever, there's plenty of "what the fuck was that ?" moments that are just never explained (like the terminator heads zombies ?) and god damn what a stupid idea that was to choose Zombie as a song towards the end. But overall, it's "meh".

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
One thing about all Zombie films that is almost NEVER portrayed...is the SMELL.

I just watched this short documentary and one thing they say is the smell of decaying mice is so bad that it's the one thing that gets you down the most.

Yet these people are seeing dead human (and tiger & horses) bodies, decaying, up close and they convey nothing about the smell.

The smell alone in Las Vegas in this film would have been off the charts!!

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that's generally very easy to please when it comes to movies, I didn't like it. It was struggling to hold my attention. Didn't like any of the characters--found some annoying, and I didn't care for certain plot threads. It also seemed to foreshadow some interesting events that never happened.

Not terrible, but meh.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why couldn't they just take down the queen at the beginning of entering Vegas and then bail out? Why do they need to roam around afterward?

The movie has kinda already left my brain but i could have sworn the blonde lady explained all of that. Without a sacrifice the zombies would have taken them down. Going straight for the kill probably would have been suicide. She thought he only wanted a blood sample. But when he took the head she knew thet were fucked.

He wanted a big crew for protection and sneak off at the end. Not that terrible of an idea he just misjudged how smart and aggressive the zombies were. Dude got greedy and got everyone killed.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finished watching it earlier. Honestly I enjoyed it.

I love that the outbreak was caused by a experimented soldier turned zombie.

My favourite characters were the German guy and the Coyote chick 👌👌

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I couldn't do it. Tapped out at forty minutes.

It's just every low-budget zombie film I've ever seen, but with a higher budget for some reason.

Just more Snyder excess. Dude needs an editor.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
What the motherfucking shit was this movie. Literally everyone dies except the tag-along on a bullshit mission, and one of the guys supposedly gonna infect the world. Now the tag-along, she wastes the last 20 minutes trying to look for Gita with literally no plan whatsoever only to have her and her dad killed. Everyone in the movie is an idiot, maybe except Guzman because he didn't really do anything egregious.

- Dave Bautista - dude fucking SHUT THE DOORS BEHIND YOU! Zombie King is on your ass and you think it's good time to chit chat with the pilot while you leave all the doors open?? I actually screamed Get In Da Choppa during that scene.

- Daughter/Kate - yeah the worst character. The strip is about to get nuked in 20 minutes but I will risk my life and go inside Zombie King's tower filled with a million zombies and a zombie tiger, armed with a pistol to go save a nobody who dies anyway

_ Chambers/First Kill. Ok, don't tell a sus that they're a sus in a situation where you have to rely on them. Secondly, when she smashes out in the hallway, they all TOTALLY could have saved her! I saw clear openings. Thirdly, she had more than enough time to warn Guzman about the sus. Instead she just tells him to go, even after seeing him with him.

- Cruz. I dunno, just a stupid, unprepared way to die.

- Dieter was fun but come on, should have jumped inside the vault with Van

- Van didn't know he was bit??? And we never see the buzz saw in action other than a promo shot. What the hell! I find it really hard to belive a buff dude like Van has trouble beating up a decrepit zombie in fist fight to be honest.

- Lilly - actually a decent character, but why the fuck did you not drop Johnny Cage right there and then when he killed Zombie queen? Leave him for the King as a compromise again? Shes the one who knows and respects their rules, and then she doesn't tell anyone? OK whatever, but again at the end there was a better way of keeping King away from the chopper by using the Queen's head. Just get on the chopper by pointing a gun to her head, once airborne, throw it to him or throw it away whatever.

- Johnny Cage/sus - yeah douchebag of the team. But he could have easily went back to the QZ after he got the Queen's head. From what I remember, they go back to the spot where they sacrificed the rapist, and that spot was just a few clicks away from QZ.

- Hiroyuki Sanada- it seems like a really dumb idea to come up with a far fetched heist just to capture a zombie. And it seems like it was not the first time he went with the same idea for this. He seemed to be well off. Just hire a merc to get it done.

Edit: more

-Zombie Tiger - honestly a waste of money if you ask me. Does nothing a regular tiger doesn't. Zombie King riding a zombie tiger though, that would have been rad

- Gita - complete throwaway non character. No weapons training, no previous experience with zombies, but sure, let's go into a thoroughly infested area to steal some money. You're only a worse mom if you are going on a clear suicide mission and leave your kids orphans. Which you did anyway. Shameful.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching it, there is a better 90-100 minute movie in there. Lots of ultimately pointless stuff. It was alright in the end.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Chambers/First Kill. Ok, don't tell a sus that they're a sus in a situation where you have to rely on them. Secondly, when she smashes out in the hallway, they all TOTALLY could have saved her! I saw clear openings. Thirdly, she had more than enough time to warn Guzman about the sus. Instead she just tells him to go, even after seeing him with him.

Yeh these 2 points annoyed me

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have a gif of the queen zombie running away after the opening encounter + rapist sacrifice
fiance and I were cracking up lmao

Edit: this one lol

Last edited:

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
The movie has kinda already left my brain but i could have sworn the blonde lady explained all of that. Without a sacrifice the zombies would have taken them down. Going straight for the kill probably would have been suicide. She thought he only wanted a blood sample. But when he took the head she knew thet were fucked.

He wanted a big crew for protection and sneak off at the end. Not that terrible of an idea he just misjudged how smart and aggressive the zombies were. Dude got greedy and got everyone killed.

Better question is, after the backstabbing guy got the queen's head, why didn't he and the coyote just head for the exit? Why the fck did they go back to where the horde of zombies would be?

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Synder has always had a tin ear with regard to song choices in his films, but he's managed to top his use of 'Hallelujah' for a sex scene in Watchmen by using The Cranberries' Zombie (a song about The Troubles in Northern Ireland) towards the end of this film.
Thank god it wasn't scripted to take place on a Sunday, or we'd have had U2 on the soundtrack.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
This movie is so terrible on every level, but what really gets me is how many sequel / extended universe baits there are and how all of them only make the movie worse. If they had pulled a The Departed ending, that would've gone a long way in redeeming it for me, but instead they did the worst imaginable thing for a sequel we'll hopefully never get.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Watched this last night. A zombie heist movie in Las Vegas has so much potential. They really needed to inject some Dead Rising 2 into the script. Vegas is known for having themed hotels, so have the group make their way through various environments. Zombie knights, clowns, centurions, etc.

They could have made their way through a theme park, which leads to fun zombie action. Could have had a horde obliterated by one of those rides with the swinging pirate ship.

Las Vegas is also super colorful. Based on the poster I would think the HDR would pop. But it's actually incredibly muted and sterile.

I also don't know if I like the sequel setup with Mexico becoming the epicenter. That feels like it could be kinda gross. DC would have been a more interesting choice.

And I know it's a trope of horror films, but having them lose the money and killing all but one character made the whole endeavor feel fruitless. If the move were 90 minutes I might not have felt that way.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Watched this last night. A zombie heist movie in Las Vegas has so much potential. They really needed to inject some Dead Rising 2 into the script. Vegas is known for having themed hotels, so have the group make their way through various environments. Zombie knights, clowns, centurions, etc.

They could have made their way through a theme park, which leads to fun zombie action. Could have had a horde obliterated by one of those rides with the swinging pirate ship.

Las Vegas is also super colorful. Based on the poster I would think the HDR would pop. But it's actually incredibly muted and sterile.

I also don't know if I like the sequel setup with Mexico becoming the epicenter. That feels like it could be kinda gross. DC would have been a more interesting choice.

And I know it's a trope of horror films, but having them lose the money and killing all but one character made the whole endeavor feel fruitless. If the move were 90 minutes I might not have felt that way.
Will it still feel fruitless when you hear that Dieter (the guy who died sealing his buddy in the fault) didn't actually die? Probably seems fruitless cause the friend wasn't even there in the last shot, no dead body/zombified/robot/super hero version anywhere to be seen.

I still can't get over how we didn't see Vandeohf get bit, then survives a nuke (sure, vault), walk so many miles, drives to an airport, make it from Vegas to Mexico City, and THEN starts to turn. Like get real...rapist guy turned in less than a few hours.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I thought it had some fun moments, but overall wasn't very good. I'm not really a fan of zombies being depicted as smart and organized, it's actually less scary to me than zombies who only act on primal instincts. The setup for a heist through zombie infested Vegas got me excited at the beginning of the film, but it just failed to execute and deliver IMO.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Weak plot and script in an interesting set-up.

Why even bring up that rain revives the zombies in the entrance and have a thunderstorm in the background in the end if you never come back to that point?

Why are there robot zombies or glowing blue eyed zombies? They seem interesting, tell me more!

The movie set up a lot of interesting idea and followed through with none of them - and the main story didn't pay of either.

The money they found in the casino and that Dave took? Would have been the perfect setup to have him or his daughter start up that food truck after getting out even if it was not fuck you amounts of money. Instead we get this dumb overlong teaser with how someone bitten and not turned for and absurd amount of time gets out for the real outbreak to begin.

With what the movie gives us for the end stinger/sequel bait, it would have been better if it started raining and some of the dry Zombies started moving again. Now radioactive.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything before they enter Vegas was pretty good, but it gets so dumb and somewhat irritating afterwards.

It reminds me of Train to Busan's Peninsula in a way. They enter a forbidden zone to retrieve money, and everything before they enter that zone was pretty good. I had more fun with Peninsula.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This movie fits in that grey area between completely forgettable and just annoying enough to be on the wrong side of mediocre.

Last edited:

Robobadlad

Jun 12, 2018
Had to Google afterwards about the robot zombie, why the hell would you not explain that in the film!? I wasn't sure if it was just blue blood for some reason, but no, it was a direct shot of a terminator skull.

Was it explained how the Shamblers even existed? Didn't they say if an alpha bites you, you turn in to an alpha? And the whole outbreak was caused by an Alpha? So shouldn't everyone be alphas?

On the whole I'd say I enjoyed it more than some of Zack's other stuff, but that's mostly because it's not an adaptation of something. I feel like he sometimes struggles to understand characters, and that's less of an issue here. It definitely didn't need to be two and a half hours long though, and as others have said, the daughter storyline really shouldn't have been in there. It felt a little bit like throwing too many ideas in there and not really focusing on any of them.

I really felt like the Aliens influence was real strong - not Burke, not Vasquez, the chopper fakeout, and I'm pretty sure the line "You don't see them screwing each other over" is said in both. Possibly others that I missed too!