• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah . . . . when you give people the impression that Wonder Woman collects decapitated heads for sport, you've crossed the line from pragmatic, warrior princess to full-on, medieval savagery.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
wonder-woman-kills-maxwell-lord-4.jpg

Still love to see it. Wonder Woman don't play that.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
She's also gonna be cutting the head off Steppenwolf in the Snyder Cut. Will people flip out when they see that as well?

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
She's also gonna be cutting the head off Steppenwolf in the Snyder Cut. Will people flip out when they see that as well?
Probably not, killings not the issue people clearly have actually reading the thread, though how often she does seems to be up for debate, it's the proud posing with several decapitated heads of some regular ass dudes, which is significantly less in character.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Batman vs Superman definitely didn't seem like a kids/teenage movie. Whether it should have been is another question.
That's exactly my point though. These movies are meant to appeal to teens and young adults alike and instead we got this pg-13 movie trying it's hardest to be Rated without justifying it with substance. In fact, the movie seems almost ashamed to be witty, light hearted, and serious at the same time. Look at the OG WW, it wasn't afraid to be campy, fun, while being serious at the same time. Zach Snyder seems to miss that balance completely. Everything from the color palette of the movie, to the delivery of all the lines, even the length of the movie itself. It's all about excess , no orestraint. Let's kill superman and bring him back in the very next movie, really ? Lol. Let's make a 3 hour JL movie. Really ? I could go on but I think you get the point.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Holding heads dont feel right but that's picture pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

Not sure about the narrative it though. Pretty much every non-Jenkins version of Wonder woman I've seen has been all about violence. Jenkins version is the outlier, if superior.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Context, but that will likely won't matter. Didn't realize people hated Snyder THAT much... Holy shit what did the guy do ?
Made movies that some people didn't like cause they weren't the standard definition of the heroes. He tried to do something a little different, it didn't work with the general audience and that's it. Yet he's constantly attacked and mocked. It really is disgusting at times.

Wonder how everyone would react if it was Thor in that picture? He chopped off Thanos' head too.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its a War - of course, she's killed - holding severed heads is just another masterstroke of tone-deafness from Snyder.

Kind of like have Superman and Louis make out in the burning wreckage and bodies of Metropolis after his DBZ dust-up with Zod.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a literal quote from her during a podcast interview with Marc Maron. So yes, she is the reason we don't have a Wonder Woman from the image that started this thread.
you said that Patty Jenkins had to wrestle creative control away from Zack Snyder specifically, Patty Jenkins is straight up saying that isn't true and that Snyder supported her

you can dislike Zack Snyder without misrepresenting Patty Jenkins on the subject

Oct 25, 2017
Made movies that some people didn't like cause they weren't the standard definition of the heroes. He tried to do something a little different, it didn't work with the general audience and that's it. Yet he's constantly attacked and mocked. It really is disgusting at times.

Wonder how everyone would react if it was Thor in that picture? He chopped off Thanos' head too.
People defending this keep dodging the obvious prevailing point which is not whether or not she killed/decapitated people. I get it though, its much easier to argue if you just boil it down to the mere question of killing.

The point is she's carrying around the heads back at their camp as if she relishes slaying mortals. As if she, a god, takes pride and satisfaction in killing one side of this mortal conflict she has inserted herself into. If she is getting involved in these wars just for the sake of finding Ares, what is going on here? Does she represent an international team of people who just really fucking hate 19th century Russia?

So yes, if there was a picture of Thor in the actual context we are actually dealing with here, yes I would find it weird misstep blindly done in the name of making something "badass" and would be glad the person didn't get control of the Thor franchise. This picture is not some huge affront to my feelings on WW, it is simply another entry in the pattern of Snyder being tone-deaf and edgy in a very dated way (Everything about his sensibilities just reminds me so much of what was considered cool in the early 2000s)

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Context, but that will likely won't matter. Didn't realize people hated Snyder THAT much... Holy shit what did the guy do ?

As far as I know, he has not denounced the very toxic part of his fandom:

Is Releasing the Snyder Cut of Justice League a Victory for Toxic Fandoms?

Despite the good they have done raising money for a worthy cause, it's hard to ignore the toxic side of this fandom, which has targeted and harassed critics who have dared even tweet criticisms about Snyder's work. I have been told to kill myself on countless occasions by Twitter accounts with either Superman or Batman logos. When fandom becomes identity, every negative review seems like a personal attack.

In not only giving over to these fans, but using their language—#ReleaseTheSnyderCut–in its official announcement, HBO Max has given legitimacy to all actions of this fandom. Not very heroic of them.

Former DC President Harassed Off Twitter by Angry Zack Snyder Fans

While these DC fans are passionate, the toxicity is starting to drive prominent industry members away from interacting with them. Though Nelson has since left her post at DC Entertainment and Warner Bros., fans still decided to bombard her with harassment. For fans working toward a specific cause, harassment is not a great way to achieve a goal.

Why Does the DCEU Have Such a Toxic Fanbase?

Over the weekend, I received a DM from a stranger who wanted to let me know I was a nasty bully waste of space because I disliked the DCEU and the works of Zack Snyder. The troll in question was otherwise oddly polite, introducing himself by name and insisting his words were not offensive before he launched into his screed. This is nothing new for me, sadly, and certainly not from ardent fans of Snyder and the DCEU. Indeed, for a decent period of time, if you googled my name, one of the first image results was a screenshot of a sarcastic tweet I'd made about Snyder. It was being used as proof of my nefarious scheming against DC and further evidence of an industry-wide agenda to critically maul DC films and keep Marvel at the top. In a business where conspiracies breed with unnerving speed, this particular one may be the most baffling on a personal level.

Yet it's indicative of a mindset many of us have faced from large corners of the DC fandom, especially those who are avid fans of director Zack Snyder.

Lied to fans frequently about things that anyone with a copy of The Dark Knight Returns, one of the oldest, most referenced Batman comics in the last 35 years could fact check:

Spoiler: He does not.

Compared his work to Alan Moore:

And his movies are bad, yes, no need to link to Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic. It has become a joke. There's a reason why even WB asked Whedon to basically re-do Justice League instead of just finishing the movie while keeping Snyder's vision, something that would have taken way less time, money and work to do.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
People defending this keep dodging the obvious prevailing point which is not whether or not she killed/decapitated people. I get it though, its much easier to argue if you just boil it down to the mere question of killing.

The point is she's carrying around the heads back at their camp as if she relishes slaying mortals. As if she, a god, takes pride and satisfaction in killing one side of this mortal conflict she has inserted herself into. If she is getting involved in these wars just for the sake of finding Ares, what is going on here? Does she represent an international team of people who just really fucking hate 19th century Russia?

So yes, if there was a picture of Thor in the actual context we are actually dealing with here, yes I would find it weird misstep blindly done in the name of making something "badass" and would be glad the person didn't get control of the Thor franchise. This picture is not some huge affront to my feelings on WW, it is simply another entry in the pattern of Snyder being tone-deaf and edgy in a very dated way (Everything about his sensibilities just reminds me so much of what was considered cool in the early 2000s)
What if those heads belonged to terrible warlords? I really don't have an issue with a character like Wonder Woman (an Amazon warrior princess) posing with heads of the terrible people she killed defending innocents in the 1800's. People did a lot of fucked up stuff back then.

It's also a different WW than the one in the DCEU, one that doesn't even make sense as Zack said she hadn't found Steve yet. So how did she get off the island? It's just a one off photo used as a placeholder that Zack thought would be a good test image to get the "old timey" feel right with wardrobe and makeup. I think we're all just over analyzing it.

OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Thor? You mean when we are 20 films into a series after the protagonists have suffered the worst possible loss they could imagine after their own failure? In a scene that isn't portrayed or framed as heroic or even resembling a fight, but a savage takedown against a villain who reveals their efforts for recompense amount to complete and utter futility? A scene where Captain America is literally wearing the costume that represents his time stripped of his color and moral idealism? And then is followed by revealing they wallowed in that guilt and helplessness for five years?

I mean sure, I guess people would react differently if it was Thor...

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Thor? You mean when we are 20 films into a series after the protagonists have suffered the worst possible loss they could imagine after their own failure? In a scene that isn't portrayed or framed as heroic or even resembling a fight, but a savage takedown against a villain who reveals their efforts for recompense amount to complete and utter futility? A scene where Captain America is literally wearing the costume that represents his time stripped of his color and moral idealism? And then is followed by revealing they wallowed in that guilt and helplessness for five years?

I shouldn't have put in the Thanos part as it's going to be a 1 to 1 comparison when Diana chops off Steppenwolf's head in JL. Focus on the picture. If that was Thor in that picture, what would the reaction be? My guess is that no one would care. It'd be like, "Cool... anyway when's Black Widow coming out?"

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

It funny how a Marvel example gets all of the context in the world, but there's a single picture of WW and people run wild.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Flashpoint WW kills a bunch of people. She's brutal in that one.
She's evil in that one dude. Aquaman is also a mass murdering tyrant and Batman is Thomas Wayne who kills people with guns. That timeline is not supposed to be the way the characters act. The whole point is reality is massively fucked up and wrong.

DC has done WW so dirty it's sad. Can't even really blame you guys since they've gotten her wrong in so much stuff that's totally warped how people see her. But the whole reason Diana has a lasso is it's a non lethal weapon. She's not supposed to kill people.

Still fucking hilarious when Snyder fanboys post Geoff Johns comics to justify Snyder's edginess though.
ErAKOGzXIAonse2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It funny how a Marvel example gets all of the context in the world, but there's a single picture of WW and people run wild.
I mean we have the context of Snyder's worldview, his explanation of his own tastes, his work in this series, the Wonder Woman movie we did get instead, and Diana proudly holding severed heads in a shot designed to make her look cool.
Flashpoint WW kills a bunch of people. She's brutal in that one.
I mean in Flashpoint, she's also an antagonist who murders children, decimates Europe, and hangs Steve Trevor from her lasso because it's a timelime where everything went horribly wrong.
I shouldn't have put in the Thanos part as it's going to be a 1 to 1 comparison when Diana chops off Steppenwolf's head in JL. Focus on the picture. If that was Thor in that picture, what would the reaction be? My guess is that no one would care. It'd be like, "Cool... anyway when's Black Widow coming out?"
I mean Thor is a different character, with a different journey. He begins an arrogant violent brute, to a humbled warrior. But Thor isn't built around that same kind of noble intentions beyond his familial entanglements.

Compare a Diana that would pose with the heads of (presumably) mortals in a photo, to the one we meet in her solo movie. A sometimes naive idealist convinced she can save humanity through simple cause-and-effect, and is instead forced to recognize the darker truths of humanity's own nature. And yet in the face of that, she refuses to commit to Ares' nihilism, and fights against apathy in pursuit of a better tomorrow. She's not going to ignore the necessity of a fight, but for the purpose of protecting others.

Of course there could've been an extrapolated context in a different solo-movie that makes this photo more interesting. But as it is, compared to that first WW movie we got? The photo in the movie represents a moment of "Look at what we saved." This original picture instead immediately says "Look who we killed."

Last edited:

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

I guarantee a lot of people would at least be observing how out of character it seems for Thor. This is a fallacious argument you're making based on the assumption that people would accept anything as long as it's Marvel.

We aren't that big of sheep.

Witch of Miracles

One Winged Slayer
Jun 13, 2019
United Kingdom
Fuck that image looks badass, I'd love to see WW movie with Diana just collecting world warriors and bring down hell onto Ares. Just have all of them die in a cheese blaze of glory while spitting dumb one-liners.

Oct 25, 2017
The backlash against the Snyder backlash backlash on this board never ceases to amaze.

It wasn't always weird to talk about the guy in unflattering terms here.

Until it was. If you get called out for it, it's nothing personal. It's just monotonous at this point.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah see I knew you probably wouldn't like that lol. I really wish Patty went with another method to bring him back. Oh, and stuck to continuity. Plus, some of her powers she gained in the film really could have been saved for the third one.
LOL reading the guy's responses is hilarious he basically fancanon's a bunch of shit and claims that it's explicit in the movie and then all; but implies everyone is an idiot for not seeing it his way... as he continually invents shit.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love that Patty Jenkins decided to give a shut out to an absolute moron. This movie is a fucking disaster, and honestly I don't understand how she fucked it up so bad after the first was a solid film.

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Please nore that WW is leading the 7 samurai in the WW1854.

Could you please explain this post like I'm 5? What's the context, what's happening in 3 months and how is Zack Snyder involved?
Zack Snyder's Justice League releases in March. It will be insane in terms of content. He kinda filmed 2 films in 2016. His version ended up being 3,5 hours long (the rough cut was 5 hours) and a studio version that was maybe 2,5 hours or shorter. Even the compromised version is markedly different from the Whedon film.
None of Whedon´s footage will be used and there are about 95 to 100 minutes of Whedon footage in the 2017 release. Let´s not even start what Johns and he did to the script/dialogue. Snyder's uncompromised footage is night and day different and we are getting that version with a bit of new footage that was shot in 2020.
The full film will have 240 minutes of raw footage. About 5 minutes will be from the new shoot. Those are set in the apocalyptic future seen in BvS but "Knightmare" scenes are already peppered in the original cut. The soundtrack snippets (think Mad Max 4) also sound hella crazy so far and the near 4:3 aspect ratio will lead to people asking themselves if their TVs are broken. It´s also an open-ended movie. In Zack´s words:
fpdae4y56v851.jpg

Pro-tip. Turn on motion smoothing on your TV when the black and white version releases later and stare at the constantly moving armor of the main villain Steppenwolf that consists of hundreds of small parts. Electric Soldier Porygon 2.0 might be the end result there. And how about the design on these guys:

Snyder doubled down after MoS and people got mad. Just look at this topic. BvS is nearly 5 years old but here we are. Snyder will triple down on his vision in 2021 and will release his first DC film that didn´t have to be presented to a test audience. TSC is his first film with full creative control. Army of the Dead for Netflix will be his second. Also releasing in 2021.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This is like when Spiderman was freaking out on the Avengers about how Punisher kills people, and Wolverine and Black Widow do the side eye meme

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
LOL reading the guy's responses is hilarious he basically fancanon's a bunch of shit and claims that it's explicit in the movie and then all; but implies everyone is an idiot for not seeing it his way... as he continually invents shit.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love that Patty Jenkins decided to give a shut out to an absolute moron. This movie is a fucking disaster, and honestly I don't understand how she fucked it up so bad after the first was a solid film.

He was doing alright for a bit but then started making no sense.

I wouldn't call the movie a disaster but it's nowhere near as good as the first one. Almost like a different creative team behind it. My summation of the film IMO:

Yeah my biggest gripe is how they said fuck continuity. Cause now people have to wonder why she isn't flying in BvS. Why there's no jet. Why more don't know of her. This is what I was afraid of when they announced this was set in the past... again.

Again, I enjoyed watching it but it's no where near as good as the first, apart from the score.

I'm not trying to be dramatic but I'm really ready to move on from the DCEU after TSC. There's too much baggage and way too many course changes.