• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
HmAxyo6.png

Et9j5R7WYAE75nI
The comparisons will be pretty interesting. Pretty much everything but his face is different/adjusted.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this just confirms what I assumed. A solid 30~40% of the movie is going to be stuff we've already seen, with the rest being either content that had to be cut the first time to make the movie two hours long or new stuff Snyder filmed to replace anything Whedon shot. Which is good, really, because there'd be no point in it if it wasn't significantly different, but that just means there's going to be enormous pacing issues and some of the effects are going to look pretty bad if they're just adding filters and changing the backgrounds on scenes we've already seen so they look a different.

Plus, of course, this is still Snyder we're talking about so it's going to feel a lot more like a sequel to Batman vs Superman than Justice League originally did and that's not a good thing. 😂

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
All of which kind of begs the question, why does it take 9+ hours (or 12 hours, if we're counting a hypothetical follow-up to JL) over the course of several years just to get to baseline Superman? Just seems like an excessive amount of time to form the most basic elements of the character, and doesn't leave much time to actually do something with the character of Superman himself, instead spending all this time on the pre-Superman version.

It's also imo unnecessary because I felt like Man of Steel, by the end, had kind of already gotten there. The ending already feels like, "and here's Superman!"
I mean, why not? I think it's an interesting interpretation. We've already had multiple movies in the past with "baseline Superman, both good and bad. I think it's awesome that he's been given a three-film arc showing his evolution into the character we all know, especially with the more "grounded" approach.

If they gave us a MoS2 with a fully-formed Superman after this, that'd be amazing.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

There

You're happy ?

Smiling non cgi supe with man of steel ost.

Instantly superior to anything in the whedon cut.

Extremely! There's one in the thread I didn't see until after I'd posted which does a much better job than this though as its the actual same shot.

I still think that opening scene in JL does a better (But not perfect) job of portraying Supermans character than any of the other movies mind. Know there are other versions of characters, but there's a reason they always revert back to what works.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
THE JUNKIEXL TRACK IS GODLIKE TOO WTF

Also for people wondering why Superman seems dark. Snyder the plan was to have him be darker after death and get brighter than ever little by little. Culminating in him being classic supe in the sequel.

He said he didnt want to rush it so in this film it definitely wont be joking Supe like the whedon version.

But the plan was always to get there after this film. It ends like that in fact with the shirt RIP. ( that was snyder not whedon )
Yeah, maybe that could have worked if Man of Steel and BvS didn't also feature a miserable, wreckless Superman whose only moments of heroism or positivity were an excuse for hackneyed Jesus imagery, and if this film would actually get a sequel (though believe me, I'm certainly not complaining that it won't) but dude is long overdue for some optimism and this:

ain't it. His inevitable fifteen minutes of decency in the four hour film won't cut it.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why not? I think it's an interesting interpretation. We've already had multiple movies in the past with "baseline Superman, both good and bad. I think it's awesome that he's been given a three-film arc showing his evolution into the character we all know, especially with the more "grounded" approach.

If they gave us a MoS2 with a fully-formed Superman after this, that'd be amazing.

He's Superman. He's not meant to be grounded. Clark is meant to choose to be humble and selfless in spite of how ridiculously powerful he is. He's meant to be this larger than life, inspirational figure that teaches the importance of doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do not because you feel like you have to.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Never saw the original Justice League. Should I even bother at this point to watch it before the Snyder cut so I can better appreciate the additions? Or should I just want the Snyder Cut at take that as the only version that exists?
The original Justice League I think is pretty okay, and at the very least it's an interesting exercise to see a Frankenstein film where the stitches are so obvious. At this point though, if you haven't seen it, I don't know if I would necessarily bother.

Well like I said, I think it's spending an enormous amount of time on someone who isn't yet really Superman. It would be like if the Dark Knight trilogy was mainly focused on ninja Bruce, and the "I'm Batman" portion of the story didn't happen until halfway through TDKR. Or if the first season of Daredevil had aired across a period of 5-6 years rather than dropped all at once.

And again, I think spending that amount of time and story real estate on what's essentially a protracted origin story is redundant. Man of Steel already felt like it ended with Superman formed. Why does it take another 7 hours (at least) after that to continue forming him?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
He's Superman. He's not meant to be grounded. Clark is meant to choose to be humble and selfless in spite of how ridiculously powerful he is. He's meant to be this larger than life, inspirational figure that teaches the importance of doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do not because you feel like you have to.
I mean, since people keep bringing it up, let's just share a transcript of the opening scene of the theatrical cut of Justice League without the CGI mustache and let others decide whether it's well or badly written dialogue for Superman:

Podcast Kid 2 : [camera phone POV of Superman with police, firefighters and paramedics after a heroic deed] There he is!

Podcast Kid 1 : Shh! Shh! C'mon, let's go.

[to Superman]

Podcast Kid 1 : Superman! Superman! Can we ask you some questions?

Podcast Kid 2 : It's for our podcast.

Superman : Well, in that case...

Podcast Kid 1 : How many people that you saved - have you saved?

Superman : I...

Podcast Kid 1 : Never mind. Does your thing really stand for "hope"?

Superman : Yes, it does.

Podcast Kid 2 : But it looks like an "S".

Superman : Yes, it's meant to. It's meant to wind... like a river. It comes and goes. My f -

[pause]

Superman : A man I knew used to say that hope was like your car keys: easy to lose, but if you dig around, it's usually close by.

Podcast Kid 2 : Did you ev - ever fight a hippo?

Podcast Kid 1 : [whispering to Podcast Kid 2, as Superman smiles] Shh! No, that's not it!

Podcast Kid 2 : [whispering to Podcast Kid 1] But hippos are the most deadly!

Podcast Kid 1 : [to Superman] Um... What is, uh... What's the best thing about Planet Earth?

[Superman ponders the question, then smiles as he's about to answer the question when the podcast abruptly ends]

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Superman looks pretty freaking cool and menacing here.

We all know what to expect out of Snyder's superman 3 movies in now so this usual whining here about "where's my hopeful superman, so gritty" is just tired lol

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's STUPID, though. What's really cool is Supes being a sociopathic asshole to everyone and melting people with his eyebeams!

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Well like I said, I think it's spending an enormous amount of time on someone who isn't yet really Superman. It would be like if the Dark Knight trilogy was mainly focused on ninja Bruce, and the "I'm Batman" portion of the story didn't happen until halfway through TDKR. Or if the first season of Daredevil had aired across a period of 5-6 years rather than dropped all at once.

And again, I think spending that amount of time and story real estate on what's essentially a protracted origin story is redundant. Man of Steel already felt like it ended with Superman formed. Why does it take another 7 hours (at least) after that to continue forming him?

I respect the argument, but personally I'm fine with them trying something different here. I like that they gave Clark a legitimate internal struggle and that they made him such a controversial figure in-universe (which is definitely what would happen in real life too lol).

I like that they're following the typical hero's arc of rise (MoS), fall (BvS), and now rebirth (JL); I'm all for it. The TDK trilogy was similar in the sense that the hero is fully established by the end of the first film, then is driven to his limits and defeated in the second (technically in TDKR too lol), and finally makes his triumphant return in the end. Obviously TDKR is a more conclusive ending though, whereas JL is setting up more of an open-ended finale for Supes.

I guess it's all just personal preference anyway, but I personally love the approach here. Feels different and ambitious in a lot of ways, despite the flaws in Snyder's movies so far. Also I'd be so damn happy if they finally gave Cavill a legitimate MoS trilogy, as that'd be the perfect place to jump straight into the "fully formed" Superman imo. Gawd I'd love to see Brainiac on the big screen...

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah that's what Man of Steel was about

superhero comics have always portrayed these characters with a vast range of tonal sensibilities

dark-multiverse-superman-1027613.jpg

there's no reason superhero films shouldn't have a similar range

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
It's a curiosity watch at least, hopefully more but still effectively the middle film in an arc that will never be concluded.
Let me put it this way:

There is no way that this movie can end up worse than what was put out in theaters four years ago. Zero chance. And this is coming from someone who thinks that Snyder has made more bad movies than good ones.
Interesting - since I've been followed this whole saga tangentially, I didn't realize there was "supposed" to be a third movie.

I'm in the same boat, Snyder-wise: I think that he can do some great stuff, but I'm always amazed that his highs and lows frequently show up in the same movie. The "Times They Are a-Changin'" montage in Watchmen? Phenomenal, and felt like the original book brought to the screen. The "Hallelujah" love scene? Embarrassing. In BvS, the "God Among Us" scene (partially due to that theme) feels like an entirely different movie than "Why did you say that name?!"

I'm interested in this cut, partially because I didn't see the original, and partially because I know that I'm likely to get the same peaks and valleys as I've gotten with past Snyder works, and I'm ok with that.

(Also, the comments about Snyder's ability to cut a trailer are spot-on: the first two trailers [presuming he made them, of course] for MoS are fantastic, and depict a movie that...I didn't feel like I got in the end.)

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
That clip of Superman looks like an Injustice victory screen to me lol

Oct 25, 2017

superhero comics have always portrayed these characters with a vast range of tonal sensibilities

Comics are cheap as fuck and have a million varieties,
Superman hasn't even had a baseline/decent movie in 40 years.

How about we at least get the character right before making the opposite of the very nature of the character.
Batman at least had multiple variations of good/enjoyable adaptations before the Snyder atrociousness hit.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Comics are cheap as fuck and have a million varieties,
Superman hasn't even had a baseline/decent movie in 40 years.

How about we at least get the character right before making the opposite of the very nature of the character.
Batman at least had multiple variations of good/enjoyable adaptations before the Snyder atrociousness hit.
this exact logic would have convinced Snyder to 100% go for his vision. why not, if the next opportunity to see something like it (instead of half-baked Superman Returns style retreads of Donner Superman) could be 40 years away?

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
at the very least we dont have see the fucking mutant lip supes anymore, cant believe they put that shit out there thinking 'yeh, that works'

Oct 25, 2017
El Centro, CA
He's getting 70+ million dollars to complete reshoots on a shitty movie he didn't originally complete, after two previous movies whose reception ranged from 'mixed-at-best' to 28% on Rotten Tomatoes. With his work before this being fucking Sucker Punch.

"Underdog"

He didn't complete reshoots. Where is this coming from? The only added additional photography amounts to like 4 minutes of the 4 hour runtime of the movie.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
this exact logic would have convinced Snyder to 100% go for his vision. why not, if the next opportunity to see something like it (instead of half-baked Superman Returns style retreads of Donner Superman) could be 40 years away?
I'd rather have half baked Donner retreads than what Snyder has done with the character. Superman Returns is still a better movie than any of the Snyder-made DCU movies.

I'd also be okay with alternate takes on Superman if they were made by someone who understands subtext and isn't a 90's edgelord fan

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, Im excited. I really wanna see some good fights, and Snyder usually delvers on that. Tho really really hoping to see more of the old gods and green lanterns.....but that's probably asking to much

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you really using an edgelord version of Superman with a skull belt standing on a pile of skulls as an example of a good alternative to the usual Superman? 'cause... no.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Question to the "zacktivated" fans:

What if my primary reason for disliking Zack's movies isn't so much of the tone themselves but because I think he just absolutely sucks at trying to utilize those tones?

Like someone brought up "but it's just like Injustice!" and like

you guys do realize the Injustice games very rapidly switched gears into doing the whole "prime timeline gets caught up with the bad timeline as they get to witness a future where things go horribly wrong", right?

Because Netherrealm was pretty aware of how much you should actually dunk the audience into darkness and how long they should be in it before you pull them back and start going "now here's how the version of the heroes as you know them try to avert this dark fate"?

like I'm just staring at that post going "why not nine to twelve hours to build up on this?" and I'm just wondering if I'm from some bizarro universe where most people have a limit for how much of that particular style of content they can take

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, since people keep bringing it up, let's just share a transcript of the opening scene of the theatrical cut of Justice League without the CGI mustache and let others decide whether it's well or badly written dialogue for Superman:
Man, even in the "fixed" version, they manage to shit on Papa Kent by making Clark call him "a man I knew."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have half baked Donner retreads than what Snyder has done with the character. Superman Returns is still a better movie than any of the Snyder-made DCU movies.

I'd also be okay with alternate takes on Superman if they were made by someone who understands subtext and isn't a 90's edgelord fan

I still can't believe the best Supes movie we've had in the past 35 years is the one where he doesn't know what the pull-out method is...

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Question to the "zacktivated" fans:

What if my primary reason for disliking Zack's movies isn't so much of the tone themselves but because I think he just absolutely sucks at trying to utilize those tones?

Like someone brought up "but it's just like Injustice!" and like

you guys do realize the Injustice games very rapidly switched gears into doing the whole "prime timeline gets caught up with the bad timeline as they get to witness a future where things go horribly wrong", right?

Because Netherrealm was pretty aware of how much you should actually dunk the audience into darkness and how long they should be in it before you pull them back and start going "now here's how the version of the heroes as you know them try to avert this dark fate"?

like I'm just staring at that post going "why not nine to twelve hours to build up on this?" and I'm just wondering if I'm from some bizarro universe where most people have a limit for how much of that particular style of content they can take

Yeah, the issue is not that it's dark or whatever edgelord thing Snyder does. It's that is badly made movies.

Like, in comics and other media, there have been a great range of Superman versions (like in Red Son, for example) and they are memorable because normally they are well written. But Snyder's stuff just plain sucks.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
He didn't complete reshoots. Where is this coming from? The only added additional photography amounts to like 4 minutes of the 4 hour runtime of the movie.
Reshoots happen. That's the nature of making a movie, especially a big exposition/FX/action-heavy movie.

When Snyder left/was removed, whatever, there were still reshoots to be done. That was always the case. Except those allotted couple weeks turned into months under Whedon/WB's directional shift. Zack's cut, whatever shape it was in, still needed to have that additional photography done (plus whatever the fuck else they decided to add upon announcing this thing).

Oct 25, 2017
El Centro, CA
Reshoots happen. That's the nature of making a movie, especially a big exposition/FX/action-heavy movie.

When Snyder left/was removed, whatever, there were still reshoots to be done. That was always the case. Except those allotted couple weeks turned into months under Whedon/WB's directional shift. Zack's cut, whatever shape it was in, still needed to have that additional photography done (plus whatever the fuck else they decided to add upon announcing this thing).
Yes I understand that reshoots happen. I'm saying that of the four hour length of this new movie, the only added additional photography that Snyder has shot since before he left the project in 2017 amounts to about 4 minutes. Most likely most of the 4 minutes is mainly one scene in the Knightmare sequence with Jared Leto's Joker.

Nothing that Whedon shot after Snyder left the project in 2017 is included in this new cut.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't even get what this movie is. Is it like an extended directors cut but with a change of directors or something?

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine thinking Zack Snyder and this movie are an underdog story.

Snyder is like the literal definition of white guy falling upwards.