• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm incredibly curious to see how views about this evolve over time--I feel like review scores are going to end up being more about this vs the theatrical cut and less about this as a standalone experience,, so regardless of where the RT score lands here it'll be fun to see in a few years how the prevailing view of the Snyder Cut compares to where reviews peg it now.

Kind of curious to watch it, suspect I'm going to have the same issues with it I had with BvS, still glad it exists. But it's a weird thing to see reviews of since having the theatrical cut as sort of a scoring floor is going to have to have an impact.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Y'all need to cut it out with all the preemptive whining about biased takes on the movie because of Snyder.

If there are bad takes, call them out, but complaining about posts that haven't even happened makes it just look like you're doing preemptive damage control for the movie.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
A "C" from the AV Club.

The Snyder Cut is a much longer Justice League, but not a better one

The reality is that Justice League's problems go beyond who was behind the camera. The villain is still generic and silly-looking. The plot is still assemble-the-team boilerplate, hinging on the hunt for glowing MacGuffins with a goofy name. Gadot's Wonder Woman is still subjected to some slobbering objectification from her new teammates—proof that in at least one respect, Snyder and Whedon saw eye to lascivious eye. And, on the most basic level, it was still a miscalculation to try to rush the Avengers formula of success, to stuff introductions for so many new characters into one movie instead of giving them their respective starring vehicles first.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
74% with 88 reviews. That's honestly better than I expected so far (I thought it would fall into 50-60 range), good for Snyder.

This was never going to be a 90%+, but it's great to see it's generally positive.

Nov 7, 2017
I can't stand Snyder stans but if his cut is even marginally better than that turd of a movie that's the Whedon JL then I'll give it a chance.

Oct 25, 2017
And so we watch Wonder Woman – who Patty Jenkins dedicated two solo films to lifting up as a beacon of kindness – brutally and unnecessarily kill a man in front of a crowd of school children, only to turn around and tell a little girl: "You can be anything you want to be.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I seriously wonder if anyone who says "at least it will have great action" has ever seen any other action movies.

I watch z-grade HK stuff all the time that has better, more inventive fight choreography.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Well the structure is the only thing that's different between a miniseries and a movie, and that structure is dictated by how it's cut and edited. Which in this case is structured to be like a miniseries more than a movie due to that six chapter flow.

You won't get a complete picture in the miniseries either until the end. What you said about miniseries i.e. if you finish it then it'd be because you'd be enjoying it, I can't see why it wouldn't hold true for this as well. Though if you wanna say that people finish things even if they don't like it, just to complete it, then miniseries are not exempt from that either.
Episodes of a miniseries or any tv show are built to be just that - endings. The credits don't roll on a random scene without intent. Yeah, that doesn't mean the overarching story is complete, but there is a point in this scene being the note you've ended an episode on. Whether it be irony, uncertainty, tension, catharsis, etc.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And so we watch Wonder Woman – who Patty Jenkins dedicated two solo films to lifting up as a beacon of kindness – brutally and unnecessarily kill a man in front of a crowd of school children, only to turn around and tell a little girl: "You can be anything you want to be.
DC in general needs to cut this shit out with Wonder Woman.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol why are so many people rooting for this films failure?

There's quite a bit of reviews and the movie seems to be at a 75% average. I don't think it's going to drop too much and I'm not sure why some people are so invested in seeing that happen.

Because the DCEU has gotten markedly better the further it got from Snyder's vision.

Let's say his grimdark JL succeeds wildly. Suddenly it's a lot more likely that the DCEU course corrects back to his vision for their universe, a vision that really seems derivative and misguided based on leaked outlines and quotes he's given in interviews.

It's the venom problem. Venom was a terrible movie that made a billion dollars, and now we're getting a Jared Leto Morbius movie and came VERY close to losing Spider-man in the MCU. Bad movies succeeding leads to more bad movies.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Anyone know when does this drops? is it 12amPST Thursday or 9PST Wednesday? Im gonna power through this when it drops, need to nap accordingly

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
User threadbanned (3 days): trolling, toxic meta-commentary
The salt in this thread from haters. You love to see it.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
People need to accept that Wonder Woman kills people. Period. Like Christopher Reeves isn't the end all or only version of Superman the Linda Carter version isn't the only version of Wonder Woman. Foolishly expecting that is a problem. From what I read about that scene the guy deserved it.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just as a reminder on these Early Reviews...

How it started

And how's it going.

WW84 is the only film I know that got a Certified Fresh and fell all the way to Rotten. And considering this is also a DC production. It's worth mentioning.

(Same thing happened with Joker as well, although they only fell out of the Certified Fresh range, not into the rotten scores. Don't worry if it feels like I'm picking out on DC here, the exact same thing happened with Mulan 2020 as well from Disney).

I know to each their own, but how the heck did 74% of audience like that movie.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Wow I am def shocked at these numbers. Good to see it's not the trainwreck the original film turned out to be.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't see the original cut, and 4 hours is a long time... But I somehow feel like I need to see this

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Then why even come in this thread?

On topic I think it would have been reviewed even better if it was edited properly and be a 3 hour

Because they're interested in the critical consensus of this movie?

Just because they didn't like one of Snyder's other films doesn't mean they have some alterior motive for being in this thread.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like they are struggling with how to characterize Diana. Sure, she's the more likely of the Trinity to kill, but uhh yeah. I'll see how it turns out on thursday, but i don't know why it's hard for people to write her.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god if the Tomatometer for this ends up holding over WW84, let alone stays fresh/positive. That would probably be the most schadenfreude outcome to come out of the entire DCEU ever since the original JL's miserable box office run.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
We're only like 88 reviews in. For comparison WW84, JL 2017, and Joker all got 400+ reviews when the dust settled.

Strap in the ride is only starting.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
People need to accept that Wonder Woman kills people. Period. Like Christopher Reeves isn't the end all or only version of Superman the Linda Carter version isn't the only version of Wonder Woman. Foolishly expecting that is a problem. From what I read about that scene the guy deserved it.
I don't have any issue with Diana killing folks, it's just the juxtaposition of murdering some guy and then telling a little girl to dream big sounds funny to me

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Then why even come in this thread?
To read reviews and see if it was different from BvS? These aren't Snyders original characters. People like these DC characters and want to see them in a Justice League movie. This is a 4 hr cut of stuff mostly shot in 2016/2017 after Snyder had gotten notes that BvS was too grim and the studio wanted him to pivot from his original two part JL plans. Poster was probably hopeful that it wasn't more of the same.

I know folks like and want to be protective of Snyder but the weird gate keeping vibes in these threads are a bit weird.

The scene leaked. Its not that Wonder Woman kills people that's the problem. The execution of the scene was just poorly done.

Oct 27, 2017
So far so good. Great to see for Zack Snyder. I love his style. So pumped for Thursday. Then, give me that ZSJL2 nightmare movie. #RestoreTheSnyderverse