• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2018
See, I get that people think it's a stupid way for Jonathan Kent to die, but when I was watching it again, it's a similar thing to how BvS's Martha scene worked out. The seeds for that moment are there; Pa Kent's fear that society won't accept him is actually manifesting as fear of change. Not just society's fear but his own. He is willing to accept the fact that those kids would've died on the bus if Clark hadn't pulled it out of the river. If he feels that way about those kids, and his feeling is unchanged in the moments leading up to the tornado, then yeah him willing to die in the tornado makes sense. They just could've made his feeling of it more overt in the scene where the three of them are in the car.

This isn't true about BvS. JL he's dead for 2/3 of the movie and then goes immediately to fight Steppenwolf so idk what you expected. But in BvS there's a montage of him saving people. But to Alienous's point it's definitely focused on spectacle.
There are several moments in BvS UE where he's saving people. Even a whole montage of him saving the day around the world. UE even shows him rescuing folks from the Senate bombing.

The problem is people wanted him to either do it with a smile or have a moment like WW in ZSJL where he checks on and tries to uplift civilians. Snyder's goal was to have Superman grow into that role. He wants his heroes to earn their wisdom, to earn what we think are the traditional roles they normally play. The Snyder Cut shows glimpses of this.

But future movies are probably not going to happen.
Even in BvS you have the montage of him going around the world helping/saving people

In the first segment you see him smiling as he brings back the daughter to her mother. It's him being deified by the people he's helping that weighs heavy on him. And that notion is probably the thing that some people dislike.

Looks like i've simply scrubbed these movies from my memory

edit: except for Batfleck. Batfleck is good.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Perhaps if Warner Bros. had been more flexible, allowed the movie to run over two hours, given Whedon more than two months to work on it, it could have turned out better. Of course, it was the Warner Bros. executives themselves that refused to budge on anything - the movie had to be no more than two hours long and its release could not be delayed otherwise those same executives would lose their cash bonus before the merger.

I think we definitely need a third cut of Justice League, though. You could easily cut a solid hour from the Snyder Cut and keep some of the changes Whedon made, giving us a final product that's much better than either existing version. There is a really, really good movie in there somewhere but it's held back by an excessive runtime and way too many Snyderisms.
If Whedon had made the movie from the ground up it would have been better than that theatrical I don't doubt. But that doesn't make it the case that the changes and additions he made aren't something you can hold him directly (though not necessarily solely) responsible for.

To be as kind as possible we know he didn't like Fisher while filming. Did that effect the choices he made with regards to Cyborg? I can't imagine it not. You can easily turn in a two hour cut that leaves Cyborg as central to the plot as he is in the four hour cut, without reinstating all the scenes Whedon cut, and you could have done it without making Barry a useless joke at the same time.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I think the problem with this montage is that it's so forgettable. It's not the focus of the film. The focus is on the conversation that is taking place between the senator, scientists, and commentators. In every major Superman film release the points where Superman rescues people have been the major set pieces. Here it's just window dressing for the conversation.

I think that's the point though.

Snyder didn't want to make Superman Returns 2, he wanted to make a franchise where the role of Superman is critically evaluated. Traditional Superman can't be phased, always knows what's right, and doesn't believe in no-win situations. Snyderman is more like a regular dude who has been given immense responsibilities and is forced to deal with philosophical problems and the 24/7 media circus.

The mountain scene in BvS basically spells it out more or less. I see the Snyderman arc as Superman trying to find his place. Should he disappear and stop playing God with people? Or should he march forward and accept the limitations of his abilities?

Not that the themes were masterfully handled or anything, but Snyderman not being Christopher Reeves was the explicit intent rather than a writing defect.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
ExGLZmRWYAEZFwP

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's the point though.

Snyder didn't want to make Superman Returns 2, he wanted to make a franchise where the role of Superman is critically evaluated. Traditional Superman can't be phased, always knows what's right, and doesn't believe in no-win situations. Snyderman is more like a regular dude who has been given immense responsibilities and is forced to deal with philosophical problems and the 24/7 media circus.

The mountain scene in BvS basically spells it out more or less. I see the Snyderman arc as Superman trying to find his place. Should he disappear and stop playing God with people? Or should he march forward and accept the limitations of his abilities?

Not that the themes were masterfully handled or anything, but Snyderman not being Christopher Reeves was the explicit intent rather than a writing defect.

I agree that that was Snyder's intent and I think that it's a terrible way to treat the character. There's a way to critique Superman without 'corrupting' him, for lack of a better term, and it would have made for a better film in my opinion. WB clearly wants to see traditional Superman back.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I still think the Snyder cut was way better than I thought it could be but he still fundamentally doesn't understand most of these characters and I'd argue he doesn't seem to really have much cohesion with how his version of these characters would or should behave either.
I don't understand this argument.

It's Snyder's take on Superman - it's his character. It might not match up with what you expect/want Superman to be but that doesn't mean Snyder doesn't understand the character. That just means that his take on the character is different to what you want it to be.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

It's Snyder's take on Superman - it's his character. It might not match up with what you expect/want Superman to be but that doesn't mean Snyder doesn't understand the character. That just means that his take on the character is different to what you want it to be.
For real. Supes is ripe for interpretation and no single instance of the character is the "definitive take".

Snyder "understands" him just fine.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Even if I thought this movie was only ok, Leslie Jones' reactions are elevating it. "Thanos' cousin" lmao!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know, I think Snyder's take on Superman does also reflect that he doesn't "get" the character. Even within the context of his own story. Not in the sense of "this isn't the Superman I know" but that he doesn't really know how to move the ball forward with Superman. At the end of his JL3 outline, Superman is basically in the same place that he was at the end of Man of Steel.

Just look at this one Justice League. Bruce is a different person than he was at the beginning of BvS. Diana is a different person. Cyborg is a different person. Even Arthur to an extent has changed. But Clark hasn't really changed at all from where we left off at the end of MoS. The events of these movies just brought us back to that same end point. JL2 and 3 would've done the same, except then with the added baggage of Clark being complicit in the world's destruction.

Conversely, even though Snyder's Batman is his own take on the character, I feel like he "gets" Batman and knows what to do with him more than with Superman.

Just because you have your own take on a character doesn't mean you also understand that character. There are plenty of examples of writers creating characters that they don't know what to do with.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
If I had to guess, and if there is a sequel by some miracle, Snyder will give people the Superman they want for about 15 minutes in the next movie until the shit hits the fan again haha. Big old tease incoming.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Was Martian Manhunter pretending to be Martha or was Martha Martian Manhunter all along, from the very beginning...

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I watched it Saturday and really liked it even if some of the CG wasn't that great. It didn't feel like 4 hours so that's a good sign. I couldn't really remember the 2017 version all that well but I do feel this one is the (way) better version.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I watched it over the course of two days last week, and while I still didn't care much for it, it is most certainly a marked improvement over the Whedon cut by a pretty significant margin. I still think you could have paired the film down to less than 4 hours (I think 3 hours was totally doable without compromising much), and, overall, the story is more cohesive and feels less disjointed both narratively and visually.

I also appreciated seeing more of Cyborg's story, and it's absolutely bullshit how Whedon fucked over Ray Fisher and the character. Understanding why Cyborg is the way he is is kind of vital to his characterization, and without it, he just came off as "boring" and "uninteresting" in the theatrical cut. I didn't think the epilogue added anything to the story told in the preceding 3.5 hours, and it could have been paired down/cut entirely. Steppenwolf is still a bland antagonist, and didn't feel particularly worthy of needing to be stopped by the fucking JUSTICE LEAGUE.

I didn't like the movie much, but I also didn't hate it, which, full disclosure, I very much expected to! Since this was Snyder's passion project, I can see why he indulged himself, but with some tighter editing and trimming some of the unnecessary fat (like the Knightmare sequences and sequel hooks), I think it would be a very solid, stand alone JL movie. Even so, it's still a much better film than Whedon's cut.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
Man, I really loved that flash back of the ancient war with the old Gods. Zeus was probably my favorite because of how sick they made his powers look. You could see all the bones and underlying anatomy in his arms! This shot was just awesome.

giphy.gif
the way he looked reminded me a lot of 300, Snyder sure likes his ancient greeks to be RIPPED to the max jeesh

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem with this montage is that it's so forgettable. It's not the focus of the film. The focus is on the conversation that is taking place between the senator, scientists, and commentators. In every major Superman film release the points where Superman rescues people have been the major set pieces. Here it's just window dressing for the conversation.

Because it is. To Superman these acts are like what helping an older someone cross the street is to us. In his mind he's just helping people, it's others that make it much more grander (through the talking, the worshipping) than it really is for him. And that's why the deification that happens to him troubles him so much.

Like I said at his core Snyder's Superman is a good man that's out to help people. And he shows that throughout his stint with the character.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Because it is. To Superman these acts are like what helping an older someone cross the street is to us. In his mind he's just helping people, it's others that make it much more grander (through the talking, the worshipping) than it really is for him. And that's why the deification that happens to him troubles him so much.

Like I said at his core Snyder's Superman is a good man that's out to help people. And he shows that throughout his stint with the character.
That Superman is an unflappable goodguy is part of what has made him so enduring/endearing for so long. Turning him into a 'normal' person (which is just removing his staunch adherence to the morality that's been built up over 80 years if we're honest) puts him on the fastrack to Injustice Superman. Snyder should just have been honest with himself and his audience and say "Superman is lame!". Stringing us on has been dishonest, in my opinion.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone keeps talking about Cyborg or Flash, but for me the biggest revelation of the Snyder cut is Steppenwolf. I get how Cyborg goes from a non-factor in one movie to a character with an arc in another. I get how cutting a four-hour film in half is going to sacrifice a ton of character detail. And I don't even think many of Whedon's changes to the film were bad, at least in theory. But Steppenwolf seems almost inexplicable, because his depiction in the Snyder cut is as the lamest, most pathetic comic book bad guy ever. But here he's like kind of a decent villain, and almost halfway empathetic. It's not like he's the most compelling antagonist ever made, I'm just shocked with how much better he is here than in the theatrical. And the difference is in seemingly a lot of small changes made around the margins, not one massive cut or something.

I think in a lot of areas of the film Whedon did what we could to satisfy both the studio's demands and audience's expectations in trying to create a new movie out of an existing one. But it does feel he made Steppenwolf much worse basically on purpose lol.

That Superman is an unflappable goodguy is part of what has made him so enduring/endearing for so long. Turning him into a 'normal' person (which is just removing his staunch adherence to the morality that's been built up over 80 years if we're honest) puts him on the fastrack to Injustice Superman. Snyder should just have been honest with himself and his audience and say "Superman is lame!". Stringing us on has been dishonest, in my opinion.
Snyder's take isn't even of Superman as a 'normal' person. This Superman is way more perturbed and dangerous than most normal people lol.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I still can't believe Whedon did Cyborg and Ray dirty like that.

Like, my guy, you really cut that much ?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I still can't believe Whedon did Cyborg and Ray dirty like that.

Like, my guy, you really cut that much ?

Yep.

Heck, I even think just saying "Cyborg has a character arc now" is selling it a bit short. Cyborg's character arc is one of the emotional cores of the entire movie. His dad narrates the epilogue through the lens of his journey!

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

At no point Snyder thinks Superman is lame. The core of Snyder's Superman is the exact same as it was over 80 years ago. He's not stringing anyone on by having Superman embrace his humanity just a bit more. And in the context of that universe this Superman makes perfect sense, while keeping the core intact.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
If Cyborg can reassemble a tape recorder, can he reassemble his dad? :× They even used a burning house for an analogy.

That might be too macabre even for this movie, though

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Yep.

Heck, I even think just saying "Cyborg has a character arc now" is selling it a bit short. Cyborg's character arc is one of the emotional cores of the entire movie. His dad narrates the epilogue through the lens of his journey!
Seriously. That shiz was just blatant.

My dude really gave us Cyborg and brought him out of the Titans and actually made it work! And creep, racist ass Whedon had to fuck it up.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Cyborg is so fucking great in the SC.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I'm sorry but it's not even a comparison, ZS version is so much better ( and should be, less meddling and almost 4 hours long lol)

I thought the original version was good but so many things just didn't make sense and felt like it was skipping through so much stuff.

ZS version is so much more detailed, as expected.

I thought cyborg was a big nothing, here he is probably the most important.

The only thing to stay the same IMO is that superman is super op lol. The resurrection fights holds true to that. He don't need them lol.

Loved all cyborg moments, flash still not fleshed out enough though.
CGI was decent enough for the most part, not a fan of the side bars though but still a great film.

Is it wrong to say those 4 hours felt quicker and felt less like a drag than endgame to me.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Not surprising news but still a bummer. Hopefully they can capture some of the magic as the recent movies post-Aquaman feel forgettable and uneventful.