• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
First 2 hours of the Snyder cut in the books. Think I'll be saving 2nd 2 hours for tomorrow.
Question for those who have seen it. Is it primarily the last 2 hours that has what one would consider newer / not seen before material?
Granted it has been awhile since I last watched it, but most of the first 2 hours seemed like I had seen it already with the exception of maybe 10-15 minutes.
So just curious if I'm imagining that and there was already a lot more never seen before stuff in the first 2 hours or do I really just not remember all that much?? The latter could absolutely be the case. The two times I saw it previously it did not leave all that much of an impression truth be told.

JFunky

Oct 27, 2017
California
Just finished it and wow. As someone who really liked both Man of Steel and BvsS this still surprised me by how much better it turned out. This cut is so much better than the garbage we got in 2017. Yes it's long but there was a lot of character introductions to do thanks to WB rushing into this instead of laying more groundwork first. Ray Fisher was completely robbed and I'm glad we got to see his full performance finally. Like Cyborg is actually a character this time. I know it'll probably never happen but I'd love a sequel. It's a shame that it seems like Cavill and Fisher are out. I would have loved Cyborg in that Flash film and Henry still deserves a solo Superman sequel. Too bad WB doesn't seem to agree.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
"What are your superpowers again?"
"I'm rich."

Love that exchange, and I thought for sure that was a Whedon line.

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
Man Joss is such a creep. Going back to watch this scene, he changed Steppnwolf's dialogue to have him talk about making Hippolyta love him for no reason. Likely some F'ed fantasy Joss has about making women submit against their will.

Start's at 4:17

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Man Joss is such a creep. Going back to watch this scene, he changed Steppnwolf's dialogue to have him talk about making Hippolyta love him for no reason. Likely some F'ed fantasy Joss has about making women submit against their will.

This scene is so substantially improved with the corrected framing and original extended shoots. Looks like something that would have barely passed muster on a mid 2000s fantasy TV series in the Whedon cut.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Think this made BvS and WW better retroactively. Aries was a great touch.

There's no redeeming Suicide Squad, tho, ever.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
EnC_VHRXEAYddTQ
This whole meme and the reaction to Steppenwolf's design is so idiotic, looking back at it now.

He looked brilliant in the actual film. He was also much better a character and had some great presence throughout.

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know this has been mentioned already but I couldn't help but laugh anytime WW made an appearance by the second half of the film.

Anytime she'd pop in to do something = "Hyaaaahhaaaahhyyaaaaaaaahh"

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Man wtf was Whedon thinking cutting THAT Flash sequence, with the emotional beat of calling back to his conversation with his father?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Omg I fucking loved it. Fuck WB and Whedon for destroying every good idea that Snyder handed them and for tearing apart Cyborgs entire character. Unfucking real. I'm glad he was able to finish it and give us a real JL movie.

It's the best DC movie since TDK. I wish this story could continue.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm done with it. I liked it and it was better than Whedon's cut. However, it was 4 hours long and a slog to get through, but nonetheless, pretty good. There was actual character development and WW was a badass in this.

Basically, all the holes in the theatrical cut were filled and Cyborg had weight.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really missing what everyone is seeing here. It explains more but it's just so long and at times boring.
im still not liking the characters and want us to move on from this universe.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhm I was not expecting to actually think that was a good movie like across the board. Obviously some extraneous scenes in the epilogue. But over all I genuinely thought it was good. Easily the best if Snyder's three movies, action was really on point, some good laughs and some visually beautiful sequences.

SleepehSheep

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched it with my wife. The first hour is very hard to get through but it becomes a much better film after that.

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped at part 6 with an hour to go.

Snyder's cut definitely has it's problems, the same criticisms I had for MoS and BvS. Ham fisted themes, overuse of slow mo, action focused over story.

Having said all that it's far superior to the Whedon/Warner cut. Diana talking about getting over Trevor as a means to convince Cyborg to move forward was effect character development. The graveyard scene is still a poor choice but better executed in Snyder's. Martha's house being foreclosed still bothers me in both.

But off the top of my head I don't see many changes Whedon/Warner mandated bettering the movie. Cynically, if I had to guess, they robbed cyborg of his development and banked on Batman and Wonder Woman to drive the conflict and plot in the Whdeon cut.

I do think the biggest criticism is act 1 being boring. And almost too much of a focus on the Heroes vs Steppenwolf. When they cut to a scene with Lois it was a breath of fresh air. About more humour might help too.

Worth the watch if you're like me and enjoyed enough of Mos and BvS.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't normally post during a movie and I'm only 25 minutes in, but I'll probably forget by the end when I give my final thoughts. Why did Wonder Woman feel the need to blow up an entire wall and shower a crowded street with debris to kill one guy with an empty gun?

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I don't normally post during a movie and I'm only 25 minutes in, but I'll probably forget by the end when I give my final thoughts. Why did Wonder Woman feel the need to blow up an entire wall and shower a crowded street with debris to kill one guy with an empty gun?
Because it's awesome! I think people putting their thinking caps on would have a lot more fun if they approached the movie with this energy.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
lol...it's just Snyder thing --- being excessive. I just turned my brain off whenever these "excesses" happen and enjoy the movie for its spectacles.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
because it's. cool

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Because he just got done trying to unload an assault rifle into a crowd of kids.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Having a hard time figuring out how to watch this, lol. I have Hulu through Disney+ and it looked like I couldn't just add the Add On to Hulu. My LG TV doesn't have the Max app. I have a free trial code so I am thinking of just watching the damn movie on my Xbox. Can I do that?

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
The problem with this is I keep being told that the movie is for people with thinking caps on.
Are rabid Snyder fans telling you that, or is it other people's negative impressions of what rabid Snyder fans say? Even the most die-hard true believers in here are just like "this is awesome and its much funnier and better written than we expected." It's a really specific kind of appeal and it's not well explained, so many people try to strawman it without really understanding why people like his films.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

wtf

Fuck that dude. Thats seriously gross.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
After watching some comparison videos, It's unreal at how much pervy shit Whedon inserted into the theatrical cut.

For example, when Superman slams WW into the ground he for some reason changed her moan of pain into a more sexual one:

Then we have the scene when Bruce meets Barry Allen. Whedon changes the image of the TV from an animated skull to a Kpop music video. In a vacuum it may seem like a fun nod to Kpop fans, but given everything we know about Whedon and the other additions he has added (Flash landing on WW's chest, gracious WW butt shots, the 'thirsty' scene, etc.) it's hard to not think that he only added this music video to meet his pervy quota.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Are rabid Snyder fans telling you that, or is it other people's negative impressions of what rabid Snyder fans say? Even the most die-hard true believers in here are just like "this is awesome and its much less dark and better written than we expected."
Neither. It's Zack Snyder who keeps telling me that.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I def see why Cyborg's actor was pissed too. His entire arc was completely butchered. As long as it was, his arc made much more sense.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was legit a delight to watch, better than I expected.

Partly this is probably it just flows sooo much better than the previous version, fixing so many wrongs, big and small. Though I also think that it works quite well on it's own. The only part that disliked a bit was the whole extended epilogue, likely also because we know that it won't lead anywhere.

It's still crazy that this cut got made at all, and now all the greater that it paid off

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me this might be my favorite Snyder movie. I can't actually believe this fucking thing is sort of fucking good. Goddamnit.

It's still a story with a narrative that's simultaneously too complicated and too straightforward for its own good, that doesn't really manage any thematic depth, with a dumb villain with the most generic plot ever, but the individual scenes are super well directed and edited and the sheer length of the thing does actually make up for the lack of solo movies and get me to buy into these characters. Its biggest two problems are that Snyder still isn't great at uhm...stitching scenes together into a movie and that this movie's big emotional plays really depend on BvS which remains a dogshit story with a terrible ending and nonsensical characterization but if I ignore all of that what's here kind of works. Snyder is still a really good visual storyteller and it turns out he can tell four hours of really good little stories and make them sort of fit together

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised in how much I enjoyed the movie, but man that was long.

Now I'm curious about how the theatrical cut even works. For what I understand Cyborg is barely a character in that one? He's the emotional core of the plot in this one.