• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
is anyone out here trying to make excuses for toxic star wars fans or marvel fans?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Wasn't the original plan to release this as a miniseries chopped up into 4 "episodes?"

It's been pretty much everything.
  • Prior to the Snyder Cut being set for an official release, Snyder shot back at people saying that there was no Snyder cut by posting a picture of the film cans apparently containing the Snyder Cut, on which the time was noted as three hours and thirty-four minutes, apparently in a single release.
  • In 2020, WB announced it'll get an official release and it still seems to be a single movie.
  • In July 2020 Snyder said that it'll be longer than two and a half hours, and that the "Snyder Cut" he showed earlier in the film cans to prove that the completed movie existed wasn't actually the final Snyder Cut.
  • In August 2020 Snyder then said it'll be a four-part miniseries, an hour each.
  • In November 2020 Snyder says that the movie is structured in six chapters with an epilogue. At this point it's apparently 2.5 hours of footage not from the Whedon cut, plus 4 minutes of new footage.
  • Later in November 2020, he said that he made both a 2.5 hour cut (the one from the picture) alongside the four-hour cut. Apparently he made both because WB didn't want a movie longer than two hours long.
And that's not even going into him changing the aspect ratio every three days.

He just seems to be doing whatever strikes his fancy at any given moment. It's amazing that someone who seems to have such a short attention span is making a four-hour movie.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's been pretty much everything.
  • Prior to the Snyder Cut being set for an official release, Snyder shot back at people saying that there was no Snyder cut by posting a picture of the film cans apparently containing the Snyder Cut, on which the time was noted as three hours and thirty-four minutes, apparently in a single release.
  • In 2020, WB announced it'll get an official release and it still seems to be a single movie.
  • In July 2020 Snyder said that it'll be longer than two and a half hours, and that the "Snyder Cut" he showed earlier in the film cans to prove that the completed movie existed wasn't actually the final Snyder Cut.
  • In August 2020 Snyder then said it'll be a four-part miniseries, an hour each.
  • In November 2020 Snyder says that the movie is structured in six chapters with an epilogue. At this point it's apparently 2.5 hours of footage not from the Whedon cut, plus 4 minutes of new footage.
  • Later in November 2020, he said that he made both a 2.5 hour cut (the one from the picture) alongside the four-hour cut. Apparently he made both because WB didn't want a movie longer than two hours long.
And that's not even going into him changing the aspect ratio every three days.

He just seems to be doing whatever strikes his fancy at any given moment. It's amazing that someone who seems to have such a short attention span is making a four-hour movie.
I don't think this has anything to do with Snyder's "attention span" and is just what you get when there's a lot of negotiations and recuts being waged between the studio and the director. In most cases, there would be radio silence and the project would only be announced in its final form, but Snyder has been uncharacteristically open about the process because rapport with his fans was instrumental to the project seeing release at all.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't think this has anything to do with Snyder's "attention span" and is just what you get when there's a lot of negotiations and recuts being waged between the studio and the director. In most cases, there would be radio silence and the project would only be announced in its final form, but Snyder has been uncharacteristically open about the process because rapport with his fans was instrumental to the project seeing release at all.

For a product that's being billed as a "singular artistic vision", it's extremely weird that the structure, format, and content has changed so many times. If the studio is dictating the length and format, it's not "The Snyder Cut". If the studio isn't dictating the length and format, it's all on Snyder.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I doubt that it will be as much as a masterpiece as BvS or Man of Steel, but Im still looking forward to it quite abit.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
"Some mean tweets? Snyder stans being ineloquent on this forum?"

If anything, the Ray Fisher situation and suicide prevention where drown out by people obsessed with their Cape Kino.

Obviously, this is only one side of the coin, but let's not pretend that this side doesn't exist.

Sure. Like BlackGoku03 said, let's not forget that it exists all over the place, for all kinds of fandoms. This isn't even the first victory for an outraged fandom with plenty of toxic elements among it, since J.J. Abrams apparently took the fandom's side against Rian Johnson in agreeing that Star Wars should be a meaningless shallow tale of royal family rivalries.

It's just in this case, I happen to agree with the Snyder stans that anything he will put out will be better than the reskinned Avengers movie Joss Wheedon released, while on the other subject I really liked The Last Jedi and thought Rise of Skywalker pandered to the most toxic elements of the fanbase.

Any fandom will present what-about links of toxic fans using the logos and hashtags & do things the actual creators would not condone. Snyder himself has kept it fairly classy to my mind, keeping it high-minded and with a charity focus, supporting people speaking out against abuse, etc.

If I had my movie 95% reshot after I stepped down due to a family tragedy, I'd have gone all Josh Trank ragey and fucked up my career for good. To my mind, I feel like it's ok for me to celebrate the victory of this fan effort and ignore the bad apples.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
So basically I'm assuming it's PVOD everywhere except North America where it's HBO Max.

I can see why China and Japan are left on the sidelines.....but France?

It must be some larger output deal that WB has in the region that needs sorting out.

France has a weird set of laws around protecting cinema and such I believe. I have a French friend who told me the law meant it had to be a certain time before it can be on tv or streaming by law after a film came out in the cinema. That's probably changed a fair bit since but I know France is very protective of the culture of movies as art and stuff and the theatre experience or whatever.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
France has a weird set of laws around protecting cinema and such I believe. I have a French friend who told me the law meant it had to be a certain time before it can be on tv or streaming by law after a film came out in the cinema. That's probably changed a fair bit since but I know France is very protective of the culture of movies as art and stuff and the theatre experience or whatever.
Today is the first I ever heard of this. If its France, I guess it makes sense...

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For a product that's being billed as a "singular artistic vision", it's extremely weird that the structure, format, and content has changed so many times. If the studio is dictating the length and format, it's not "The Snyder Cut". If the studio isn't dictating the length and format, it's all on Snyder.
The studio's definitely dictating some kind of terms. Back when the four-part miniseries thing was first announced, Snyder promised that there would be a way to view everything as one film. That's clearly not the move of someone who believed that a miniseries was their vision. Just because it's being advertised as "The Snyder Cut" doesn't mean the business realities of filmmaking don't apply.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Today is the first I ever heard of this. If its France, I guess it makes sense...

Yep I remember when netflix launched in France way later than a lot of other places in Europe my French friend would comment how he's glad I had let him use a vpn to see UK netflix because the French one had way less newer stuff. That's when he explained the law to me.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is not happening? That will be good or the meltdown?
Yeah, that was a bit of a reading comprehension fail on my part, sorry.

I don't particularly believe the film will be great, but if it is there will be a meltdown of people bending over backwards to somehow redefine quality, that much is true.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The local HBO app now has a trailer for this. It's cool we are getting this since we haven't been getting the day one releases

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's just in this case, I happen to agree with the Snyder stans that anything he will put out will be better than the reskinned Avengers movie Joss Wheedon released, while on the other subject I really liked The Last Jedi and thought Rise of Skywalker pandered to the most toxic elements of the fanbase.

Any fandom will present what-about links of toxic fans using the logos and hashtags & do things the actual creators would not condone. Snyder himself has kept

Snyder has not denounced the harrasment done in his name, from which he indirectly profits, has he?

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
User Threadbanned (1 week): Attempting to thread derail
My dude you have this template ready to do this post it in every DCU thread? legit i have seen you use it like 4 times counting this one, no exaggeration. LMAO.

Te levantas diario listo para la guerra anti-Snyder que no?

Yep! Everytime someone goes "both sides are bad", is good to remind them that, well, there is concrete proof, well documented toxic fandom that trough harrasment, obtained what they wanted. And that saying that Snyder is a bad director is not equivalent at all with what his fans do, and that as far as I know, has not denounced.

Saying "I'm going to dance because Snyder haters are going to suffer" is not healthy, dude.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yep! Everytime someone goes "both sides are bad", is good to reminder them that, well, there is concrete proof, well documented toxic fandom that trough harrasment, obtained what they wanted. And that saying that Snyder is a bad director is not equivalent at all with what his fans do, and that as far as I know, has not denounced.

Saying "I'm going to dance because Snyder haters are going to suffer" is not healthy, dude.

But what is the intention, to demean the (also documented and confirmed) toxic fandom that Marvel and ST has? Just watch the reactions of the Whedon's allegations in twitter and other places. Every fandom is toxic, DCU one is not different.

And if we go to your always present links, the MArvel and SW ones are way worse, because they are actually affected actors and normal people. Not only super rich executives.

Maybe i will not dance but i will definitely will do this:

so_good.png

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
But what is the intention, to demean the (also documented and confirmed) toxic fandom that Marvel and ST has? Just watch the reactions of the Whedon's allegations in twitter and other places. Every fandom is toxic, DCU one is not different.

And if we go to your always present links, the MArvel and SW ones are way worse, because they are actually affected actors and normal people. Not only super rich movie executives.

Maybe i will not dance but i will definitely will do this:

so_good.png

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. Binary.

BinaryGeekCulture.jpg

Please don't make a false equivalency from this conversation to any other "both sides" crap.
Tribal stink on fandom, especially political tribal stink, is a disturbing trend. Leaves you shadow boxing.

I liked a movie, that most here didn't. Yet I still condemn all these new alt-right nazis everywhere, k?

But in a world of nuance and individuals, I don't expect someone trying to campaign for something to always claim or denounce responsibility for some rando asshole's (or set of rando assholes') behavior because he can type a hashtag too.

Especially if, almost in the same breath, you ask me to feel sympathy for the social media experiences of WB execs who excused and covered up for Wheedon's abuses. It's a dirty, dirty world. Can power be uncorrupted?

People find dirt where they look for it.

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Literally has nothing to do with whatboutism. But at least be intectually honest and complement your link template with examples of all type of toxic fandoms.

Here let me help you.

plotaholics.com

Captain Marvel and Toxic Fandom

According to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, we as human beings have the following needs: Self-Actualization: desire to become the most that one can be. Esteem: respect, self-esteem, status, recogniti…

variety.com

‘Star Wars’ Actress Kelly Marie Tran Leaves Social Media After Months of Harassment

Kelly Marie Tran, who played Rose Tico in "The Last Jedi," has taken herself offline after experiencing months of social media harassment.

www.cheatsheet.com

Is the Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom Too Toxic?

Few fanbases are as opinionated as that of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The fans made their takes on Brie Larson's casting well-known on Twitter.

hellogiggles.com

Fans Stand Up for Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson as Marvel Stars Defend Chris Pratt

Chris Pratt's Marvel castmates came to the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' star's defense after being deemed "Hollywood's least-favorite Chris." But where were they when other MCU members faced racist, sexist backlash?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Literally has nothing to do with whatboutism. But at least be intectually honest and complement your link template with examples of all type of toxic fandoms.

Here let me help you.

plotaholics.com

Captain Marvel and Toxic Fandom

According to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, we as human beings have the following needs: Self-Actualization: desire to become the most that one can be. Esteem: respect, self-esteem, status, recogniti…

variety.com

‘Star Wars’ Actress Kelly Marie Tran Leaves Social Media After Months of Harassment

Kelly Marie Tran, who played Rose Tico in "The Last Jedi," has taken herself offline after experiencing months of social media harassment.

www.cheatsheet.com

Is the Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom Too Toxic?

Few fanbases are as opinionated as that of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The fans made their takes on Brie Larson's casting well-known on Twitter.

hellogiggles.com

Fans Stand Up for Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson as Marvel Stars Defend Chris Pratt

Chris Pratt's Marvel castmates came to the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' star's defense after being deemed "Hollywood's least-favorite Chris." But where were they when other MCU members faced racist, sexist backlash?

Because I'm talking about the specfic case of the Snyder fans, and you are responding "but what about the others?"

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Ah. Binary.

BinaryGeekCulture.jpg

Please don't make a false equivalency from this conversation to any other "both sides" crap.
Tribal stink on fandom, especially political tribal stink, is a disturbing trend. Leaves you shadow boxing.

I liked a movie, that most here didn't. Yet I still condemn all these new alt-right nazis everywhere, k?

But in a world of nuance and individuals, I don't expect someone trying to campaign for something to always claim or denounce responsibility for some rando asshole's (or set of rando assholes') behavior because he can type a hashtag too.

Especially if, almost in the same breath, you ask me to feel sympathy for the social media experiences of WB execs who excused and covered up for Wheedon's abuses. It's a dirty, dirty world. Can power be uncorrupted?

People find dirt where they look for it.

If by WB exec you mean Diane Nelson, she was harrased when she no longer was working at DC Comics.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Some of us are big fans of the Waichoskis Speed Racer, a movie that failed critically and in the box office, and you don't see us being written about in Variety about harrasing women out of social media.

I've been watching toxic internet fan bases for 20 years.

I watched internet fans on Trekweb and similar forums hate Voyager and spend seven years solid dissecting every decision of Kathryn Janeway, finally settling on the Tuvix controversy--ironically the one that if anything is an allegory to abortion--to be the final condemnation of all the flaws in her character and leadership. Had nothing to do with the fact that she was a woman captain, though. They swear!

The hate for the latest Star Wars trilogy had, of course!, nothing to do with the fact the latest protagonist was also a woman (and a MAAAARY SUUUUE!), if you take these fan bases at their word. Certainly there was no creepy desire to wipe out any sense of democracy in The Force rising among regular people, from the end of The Last Jedi, if you ask them. It's just better if Rey was, like, related to some other force family! Oh, she's a Palpatine! Now it makes sense to them... because she shouldn't be able to claim power on her own, I guess.

Same with the Captain Marvel controversy. Nothing to do at all with the fact that she was a woman! She said mean thingsI In interviews! That's what it was about! Her character's OP! Maaaaarrrry Suuuuuuuee!

...if anything I found #ReleasetheSnyderCut somewhat refreshing in the mere fact that it didn't appear on its surface to be anti-feminist and secretly conservative. Fuck, if you ask me I'd say Deb Snyder is probably the real story brains of that duo, and Zack is the cool scene Man. But that's me speculating, truthfully.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because I'm talking about the specfic case of the Snyder fans, and you are responding "but what about the others?"
That response is coming because it seems like you're applying an unusual, different standard to Snyder and his relationship with his fans than you would to other fandoms.

I mean, be clear about this: do you think it would be appropriate for people to go into every MCU thread and post those articles about toxic elements in MCU fandom, and insist that Kevin Feige is profiting off their acts of harassment because he hasn't explicitly denounced them?

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Every fanbase has its own toxic proportion. Anyone who argues that one is "more toxic" than another is just showing their own bias lol

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Every fanbase has its own toxic proportion. Anyone who argues that one is "more toxic" than another is just showing their own bias lol

It's interesting how whenever there's a thread for a movie by Bong Joon-ho it doesn't get derailed about talk of toxicity. But every Snyder thread is on the verge of being locked by fed-up mods tired of telling people to calm the hell down.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
If I had my movie 95% reshot after I stepped down due to a family tragedy, I'd have gone all Josh Trank ragey and fucked up my career for good. To my mind, I feel like it's ok for me to celebrate the victory of this fan effort and ignore the bad apples.
When the studio fucked with Alien 3, David Fincher straight up disowned the movie and TO THIS DAY refuses to be credited for it. And that was his feature debut. Dude made essentially a career ending move because his integrity was more important to him.

Snyder on the other hand - at this point already established filmmaker with some financially successful movies under his belt and strong fan following - spend years following JL release with the movie equivalent of port begging. While he didn't start #SnyderCut, he kept stroking his fan base with a social media post in line of "Here's a never before seen frame from my cut of JL that Warner says doesn't exist, wink wink" every time tings where starting to die down. This wasn't some noble crusade to right a great injustice, he used nerd rage of the fans that, like him, couldn't let it go, to get what he wanted from WB, and was clearly fine with whatever methods they used. And you can bet it's gonna happen again, I won't be surprised if Snyder starts talking about his sequel plans before the end of march.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I was pro Fincher's integrity until he obeyed it to the point he walked away from Manhunter with the audience still wanting more. Damnit.

Funny, the Alien franchise got whored out to Wheedon right after "artistic conflict" as well. He must be a soothing salve for studio executives tired of dealing with directors with both artistic integrity and respect for their actors.

And, again, as for "bullied WB"... considering the product they released in theaters, after they spent an extra $100mil to bring on Wheedon (who turned out to be a liability) and "fix it up," and how it earned box office proceeds that disappointed them, making less than Batman V Superman, leaving them with practically a complete alternate cut of the film in the can, ready for a post treatment should oh a pandemic come 'round and stop global production, providing them with an alternate product viable to both satisfy a long-running fan campaign on the internet and help them launch their premium streaming service to notice well late into the streaming game... well, I once again depict "Bullied WB" as:
Scrooge-McDuck-2.gif

You say yourself Snyder didn't start the hashtag campaign. But you don't like that he marketed his work to the campaign itself, but... well, I mean, it worked. He got to make his version of the movie, perhaps more so than I even wanted. He had more cachet with his audience than David Fincher or Josh Trank because he produced two chapters in the extended narrative already in a direction that clearly a sizable portion of the audience liked. The Alien series wasn't on chapter three from David Fincher, only oh now let's make it into a completely different and lighter PG-13 movie behind the director's back.

I'm sure you're right, and #RestoretheSnyderVerse will go on. I wouldn't be surprised if the movie cliffhangs. I won't be happy, but I wouldn't be surprised. A post-credit stinger would reek less of temerity: we'll see.

But I'll tell you this: I'm more interested in the extended storyline of the Knightmare sequence and the Darkseid Future extended original multi-part Justice League story design than all the other running plotline threads DC has carefully formented in their Extended Universe... because nature abhors a vacuum.