• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any truth to the rumor that Snyder's rough cut of this film was almost unwatchable?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Is there any truth to the rumor that Snyder's rough cut of this film was almost unwatchable?

Here's what Wiki says:

Warner executives who saw his cut noted that Snyder made significant efforts to lighten the tone following the criticism of Batman v Superman. After the release of Aquaman, while the film was lighter than the anticipated tone from the "Snyder Cut" the character of Aquaman was said to be more consistent with Snyder's depiction than it was with Whedon's. Despite this, Warner was still unhappy with the results and insider reports said sources in Warner Bros. considered the cut "unwatchable". The first two trailers for Justice League used footage from the "Snyder Cut" before Whedon's contributions, and were subject to a mixed reception. Neil Daly, who oversaw the test screenings, said test audiences ranked Batman and Superman the lowest of the main cast

Without knowing all that background info, the initial impression I got from WB hiring Whedon was that Snyder's original cut must have been too grim, not enough moments of levity, maybe structurally problematic. Whedon also added the Russian family into the third act to show what the hell these characters are even fighting for in the first place.

But now I'm curious, is this new Snyder cut going to be relentlessly grim and incoherent, a hollow spectacle that scared WB? Or did Snyder's original cut have levity and tangible stakes all along? The Wiki says he was aware that he needed to make the movie lighter than BvS (and I've read reports that say Snyder's plan was to start the franchise dark and get lighter with each movie). Was hiring Whedon actually an excuse to cut out all the Darkseid stuff, because WB considered it all set-up with no pay-off, further baffling audiences and scaring them from repeat visits to the cinema?

All food for thought. But despite all this, I suspect the Snyder Cut we're getting will still be different than the one that WB freaked out over. Snyder's had ages to think about it with no worry about sticking to a deadline.

btw, I have to re-quote this because it's amazing:

Neil Daly, who oversaw the test screenings, said test audiences ranked Batman and Superman the lowest of the main cast

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
YES. Day 1 for sure. Freaking love MoS and BvS and glad to finally have a conclusion to that trilogy.

The best part is that everyone is gonna wanna watch this, even if just out of curiosity. No way this isn't a major success.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Is it ok to admit I've enjoyed most of Snyder's movies?

Or is this going to go the way of FREAKS ending for me? 😅
43d.gif

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
To me, it hews to the older, Warner Brothers style of comic book adaptations. Like the way Two-Face's entire criminal career and rampage was a ten minute cop-murdering spree at the end of a movie with The Joker as main antagonist.

In a way, it's "the continuing adventures of" serial storytelling versus "final consequences in this one arc" of episodic movie-making.

On some level I see it as the medium of movie transitioning from an episodic to a serial story model, which is what Kevin Feige has excelled at as producer. Like it or not, Zack Snyder doesn't occupy that role: he directs movies.

The fact is, there was no one steering this ship at WB to ensure multiple projects would dovetail together into an overarching storyline. Snyder was the only one with a plan to tell a multi-movie story, but the plan was to do it all in his movies; a lot of them... probably with a lot of long-time side DC character dead at the end!
I think they tried to force Geoff Johns into the Feigi role but he's a hack so he couldn't get it done

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
But what else has the DC movie slate got going on? Any extended plot threads you're interested in for Aquaman 2? Any serial storylines at all running through this announced slate of movies that seem focused on multiversing the flashpoint that makes you care, at all?
We had around a hundred years of stand-alone movies before MCU was a thing, we can have them after it too.
Snyder fans bullying WB:
0f25ee2d869ef533343ffaed0b830712.jpg

WB, bullied:
700-01646205en_Masterfile.jpg
That's one way of looking at the whole #SynderCut campaign, the other would be calling it an organized harassment. Note that both was are not mutually exclusive.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Why is this movie bringing out so many emotions in people? The last thread on it got really nasty at times even the mods had to step in.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
(and I've read reports that say Snyder's plan was to start the franchise dark and get lighter with each movie).
It's a shame that doesn't really work out over a format like this. I would have liked to see how it would turn out.
btw, I have to re-quote this because it's amazing:

Neil Daly, who oversaw the test screenings, said test audiences ranked Batman and Superman the lowest of the main cast
Aquagang wya?
Because Snyder fanboys take any attack on the movie as an attack on themselves.
Smh, both sides are insufferable when it comes to Snyder films. Let's not act like it was just the fanboys that were being a problem.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reminder that the poster of that pic is a Snyder stan.
lol is this my scarlet A

It's amazing to me that I ended up here, I didn't give a fuck about Snyder before 2021. After I finally watched Man of Steel and liked it, I didn't understand where all the negativity on Era was coming from. I engaged bit by bit, found most of the justifications people gave for thier contempt to be profoundly dumbassed and shallow. Now after doing more critical thinking about Snyder than I ever would have otherwise, I'm looking forward to the dude being able to finish his film however he wants.

Here, for the judgment of the Era tribunal, the hot takes of a Snyder stan:

Dawn of the Dead: meh, not big on zombie movies in general
300: "good" but fatally flawed by racist bullshit
Watchmen: meh
Legend of the Guardians: meh
Sucker Punch: bad
Man of Steel: very good
Batman v Superman: good start bad finish

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There is a pause button and since it's streaming and on demand, one can stop and go back to it later. The time concerns or trolling make no damn sense and really have to stop. Of the things people can talk about or hit this film with it's the path that makes no damn sense and isn't even clever.

4 hours of a schlocky cash grab that was so bad the director got fired from the first time is still 4 hours, no matter how you slice and dice it up

Why is this movie bringing out so many emotions in people? The last thread on it got really nasty at times even the mods had to step in.

toxic cult mentality

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that doesn't really work out over a format like this. I would have liked to see how it would turn out.

Aquagang wya?

Smh, both sides are insufferable when it comes to Snyder films. Let's not act like it was just the fanboys that were being a problem.

We literally just had a thread where Snyder told his fans to attack those who didn't like his films. So please don't with this "both sides" crap

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
We had around a hundred years of stand-alone movies before MCU was a thing, we can have them after it too.

We had a hundred years of almost exclusively episodic television as well: primarily due to the constraints of the business model and especially as rerun syndication became prominent.

The tech has changed to streaming; the business model has changed to subscription; and episodic televisions is replaced by long-form works with variable episode lengths that drop all at once.

The movie industry is in denial that a similar change is coming. The MCU is not just a successful one-off. The DCEU should have gone with the serial-via-triology luanch it had originally planned with Snyder, and just gone from there.

That's one way of looking at the whole #SynderCut campaign, the other would be calling it an organized harassment. Note that both was are not mutually exclusive.

Sure. If you, like, feel harassed that a group of fans tried to cheer a creative work into the world. Or that a hashtag shows up in your feed more than is to your liking, because you don't care about it, or feel antipathy for it.

But if not? Getting this movie released? Amplifying Ray Fisher in revealing Wheedon's abusive behavior that is now corroborated from other sources? Raising money for suicide prevention? Failing to get WB execs fired because the ones there in 2014-2016 already long since left? Giving HBO Max the chance to leverage existing footage into a new release while the entire industry is frozen due to COVID while maybe giving some redemption to a director who got thrown to the curb at the worst time of his life? Where is the harassment? Some mean tweets? Snyder stans being ineloquent on this forum?

I think they tried to force Geoff Johns into the Feigi role but he's a hack so he couldn't get it done

Yeah what a faceplant with that and New 52.

DCEU launched when DC itself was in a pretty bad place.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Because Snyder fanboys take any attack on the movie as an attack on themselves.
C'mon. Are we really doing this? Again? For all the hate you for the man, you post in these threads more than the fans do.

And if anyone here on Era ran someone off Twitter, they should be banned. But let's not treat Snyder/DCEU fans on Era like they're the ones who are toxic.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
C'mon. Are we really doing this? Again? For all the hate you for the man, you post in these threads more than the fans do.

And if anyone here on Era ran someone off Twitter, they should be banned. But let's not treat Snyder/DCEU fans on Era like they're the ones who are toxic.

No but the thread where he basically fantasized about passing on the names, of those who criticized him, to his fans so he could tell his fans what to do to, and about, them, was full of people defending what he was saying and acting like the people who found the rhetoric disturbing and violent were the problem

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
But if not? Getting this movie released? Amplifying Ray Fisher in revealing Wheedon's abusive behavior that is now corroborated from other sources? Raising money for suicide prevention? Failing to get WB execs fired because the ones there in 2014-2016 already long since left? Giving HBO Max the chance to leverage existing footage into a new release while the entire industry is frozen due to COVID while maybe giving some redemption to a director who got thrown to the curb at the worst time of his life? Where is the harassment? Some mean tweets? Snyder stans being ineloquent on this forum?
"Some mean tweets? Snyder stans being ineloquent on this forum?"
However, members of the movement have also been described by members of the media as "toxic"[115] for harassing, threatening, and cyberbullying those who express opinions about the Snyder Cut that are contrary to their beliefs.[116] Yohana Desta of Vanity Fair broadly described the act of fans demanding an alternative cut as a "modern pattern of audience demand that is actively making fandoms more toxic", and compared it to the 2017 harassment of Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) actress Kelly Marie Tran.[115] Journalists are subjected to the kind of harassment experienced by Kayleigh Donaldson of Pajiba: through email, online comments and direct messages on social media.[115][116] In September 2018, former DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson deleted her Twitter account after substantial online harassment by members of the movement.[117] Warner Bros. telephone operators, inundated with regular calls about the "Snyder Cut", were trained to treat these inquiries as prank calls.[115] Members of the movement tracked down Justice League stuntman Richard Cetrone to ask him questions about the Snyder Cut, only to digitally alter his response and spread on social media a fake text message that appeared to support their cause[79][118]
If anything, the Ray Fisher situation and suicide prevention where drown out by people obsessed with their Cape Kino.

Obviously, this is only one side of the coin, but let's not pretend that this side doesn't exist.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
No but the thread where he basically fantasized about passing on the names, of those who criticized him, to his fans so he could tell his fans what to do to, and about, them, was full of people defending what he was saying and acting like the people who found the rhetoric disturbing and violent were the problem
Oh well? Any of them banned? Is this proof of them being toxic?

Snyder was wrong to say that, no matter how he felt. So that's the excuse to shit post in every other thread before and after?

EDIT: I see the post above. Will end it here I guess.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Wasn't the original plan to release this as a miniseries chopped up into 4 "episodes?"

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well? Any of them banned? Is this proof of them being toxic?

Snyder was wrong to say that, no matter how he felt. So that's the excuse to shit post in every other thread before and after?

EDIT: I see the post above. Will end it here I guess.
I believe that was the thread where the same folks shitposting in here and every other Snyder thread were comparing him to Donald J Trump. That's why there was some backlash, even from some who don't care much about the situation.

Looking forward to release day. Ready for that 4:3 goodness.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Sure. If you, like, feel harassed that a group of fans tried to cheer a creative work into the world. Or that a hashtag shows up in your feed more than is to your liking, because you don't care about it, or feel antipathy for it.

Is Releasing the Snyder Cut of Justice League a Victory for Toxic Fandoms?

Despite the good they have done raising money for a worthy cause, it's hard to ignore the toxic side of this fandom, which has targeted and harassed critics who have dared even tweet criticisms about Snyder's work. I have been told to kill myself on countless occasions by Twitter accounts with either Superman or Batman logos. When fandom becomes identity, every negative review seems like a personal attack.

In not only giving over to these fans, but using their language—#ReleaseTheSnyderCut–in its official announcement, HBO Max has given legitimacy to all actions of this fandom. Not very heroic of them.
Former DC President Harassed Off Twitter by Angry Zack Snyder Fans

While these DC fans are passionate, the toxicity is starting to drive prominent industry members away from interacting with them. Though Nelson has since left her post at DC Entertainment and Warner Bros., fans still decided to bombard her with harassment. For fans working toward a specific cause, harassment is not a great way to achieve a goal.

Why Does the DCEU Have Such a Toxic Fanbase?

Over the weekend, I received a DM from a stranger who wanted to let me know I was a nasty bully waste of space because I disliked the DCEU and the works of Zack Snyder. The troll in question was otherwise oddly polite, introducing himself by name and insisting his words were not offensive before he launched into his screed. This is nothing new for me, sadly, and certainly not from ardent fans of Snyder and the DCEU. Indeed, for a decent period of time, if you googled my name, one of the first image results was a screenshot of a sarcastic tweet I'd made about Snyder. It was being used as proof of my nefarious scheming against DC and further evidence of an industry-wide agenda to critically maul DC films and keep Marvel at the top. In a business where conspiracies breed with unnerving speed, this particular one may be the most baffling on a personal level.

Yet it's indicative of a mindset many of us have faced from large corners of the DC fandom, especially those who are avid fans of director Zack Snyder.

SalvadorDagi

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to this. I really enjoyed Man of Steel and the Director's cut of BVS. I'll give anything the benefit of the doubt, so I'm hopeful the big issues were fixed.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. You can do this with any fandom... my point is, if anyone is doing this here, report them. Otherwise, why treat all fans the same? How does this excuse shitty behavior for the people who hate Snyder?

heroichollywood.com

Brie Larson Doesn’t Care About Toxic Fandom Around ‘Captain Marvel’

‘Captain Marvel’s Brie Larson explained that she simply doesn’t have time for the toxic fandom that tried to tank the blockbuster.

Is the Marvel Fandom of the Cinematic Universe too toxic? - Opera News

Few fanbases are as viewed as those in the Cinematic Universe of Marvel. Fans made their views known on Twitter and Reddit on such topics as the casting of Brie Larson in

www.cbr.com

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Could Suffer the Same Fate as Star Wars

The toxicity in the Star Wars fandom is creeping its way in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and it needs to be stopped before it's too late.