• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

WarnerMedia relented, but in order to get the kind of control of the project that he failed to have on the feature film, Snyder had to forgo his salary.

"I'm not getting paid," Snyder told the magazine. "I didn't want to be beholden to anyone, and it allowed me to keep my negotiating powers with these people pretty strong."

looks like he might have also done it to keep the OG creative vision intact. curious how it plays out.

Interesting Read from Vanity Fair talking about the Journey to how the Snyder Cut was born:
www.vanityfair.com

‘Justice League’: The Shocking, Exhilarating, Heartbreaking True Story of #TheSnyderCut

A demoralizing battle with Warner Bros. A devastating personal tragedy. A fan base he couldn’t control. Zack Snyder tells V.F. why he quit ‘Justice League,’ and why he’s returned to complete a cut that’s reached near-mythical status.

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't think it's going to be good, but at least the man wants to get his vision out there, so I can respect the move.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's because they're letting him do that Fountainhead movie he's always wanted to do.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
That is some dedication, damn. I'm just glad that weird post apocalypse Batman flashforward will get answered at least.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I still don't think it's going to be good, but at least the man wants to get his vision out there, so I can respect the move.

Agreed. At 4 hours plus I'm not sure I see many other directors getting this much control over a studio IP. Though of course the pandemic among other factors also played a big part.

I wonder if it's because they're letting him do that Fountainhead movie he's always wanted to do.

More likely that they let him take some of his older WB projects (such as Fountainhead) to Netflix via turnaround. This is what happened with Army Of The Dead which had been at Warners since he did 300 IIRC.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Wait if he hasnt seen the existing one - does that mean that the new one is a entire re-shoot? I thought they said it'll be the same movie but with deleted scenes added?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wait if he hasnt seen the existing one - does that mean that the new one is a entire re-shoot? I thought they said it'll be the same movie but with deleted scenes added?
It's not a re-shoot. He is only using the footage he shot back then, before Whedon reshot around 60% of the film, plus around 4 minutes of new footage he shot in the Fall.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's rich enough that he can make this statement, but good on him I guess. He's clearly passionate about his vision.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not surprised tbh. Warners spent a fortune on the original film and it clearly under-performed. In reality being given $70m+ (allegedly)and getting to go back in and reshape the film is his payment.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
There's an entire Vanity Fair article that went up about this today... it's a good read into what happened that lead to this whole thing.

www.vanityfair.com

‘Justice League’: The Shocking, Exhilarating, Heartbreaking True Story of #TheSnyderCut

A demoralizing battle with Warner Bros. A devastating personal tragedy. A fan base he couldn’t control. Zack Snyder tells V.F. why he quit ‘Justice League,’ and why he’s returned to complete a cut that’s reached near-mythical status.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
but he's never sat through the version released to the world three years ago. His wife, Deborah, who produced the movie, advised him not to

Alright which one of you is Snyder's wife? :p

[edit]

After their private screening of the Whedon cut, Nolan and Deborah Snyder emerged into the light with a shared mission. "They came and they just said, 'You can never see that movie,'" Zack Snyder says during lunch at his Pasadena office, a modernist series of cubes jutting from a hillside that overlooks the Rose Bowl.

Alright which one of you is Nolan?

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
GrotesqueUnawareHeifer-size_restricted.gif

Makes sense.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Does this man really need his vision out there? Why:

Can't believe I'm defending Snyder, but this is basically a way of getting closure on a rough period of his life. He lost his daughter and then was taken off a movie he'd spent years working on, all that effort into pre-production and filming, only for someone else to come in during post to re-shoot it.

So it's just about getting some closure on the whole affair, and he's rich and entitled enough to actually do it. Having good relationships with key people in the WB food chain also doesn't hurt. WB doesn't do this kind of thing for anybody, it's almost unheard of actually.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
He got paid for it once already and he's already wealthy. Makes sense as a move to get to finally make what he wants.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he and Warners will be working together anymore. "You can do your movie but we're not paying you" four years after firing him isn't exactly fertile ground for a great relationship lol. Most likely he'll just work with Netflix for the time being.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but I gotta call bullshit on him not seeing Whedon's version. It's been years, you can't tell me he hasn't been curious enough to at least watch it once

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like something that would be illegal for WB so there is probably some other form of payment.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but I gotta call bullshit on him not seeing Whedon's version. It's been years, you can't tell me he hasn't been curious enough to at least watch it once
Edgar Wright has never seen Ant-Man. I'm sure Lord and Miller have never seen Solo. It's probably low-key traumatizing to put that much time, that much work, that much of yourself into a project, only to be fired off it and have it handed to someone else who makes it something completely different. Add in the more higher stakes trauma of his daughter dying around that time and probably carrying some added weight from that alone, and I don't think Snyder really needs much reason to want to watch that movie at all.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
He hasn't seen it. It's not hard to believe. He's said multiple times that he has no intention of seeing it. When fans would post images from it on Vero and ask him if they were from his version or Joss's he'd always be like "I have no idea what this is" or "what Russian Family?"

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta find some way to slag Synder for this article...

Oh yeah he's totally lying about seeing the 2017 cut after his wife/collaborator and Nolan both told him not too, epecially considering the circumstances that befell him during the filming. Honestly, what the fuck?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Edgar Wright has never seen Ant-Man. I'm sure Lord and Miller have never seen Solo. It's probably low-key traumatizing to put that much time, that much work, that much of yourself into a project, only to be fired off it and have it handed to someone else who makes it something completely different. Add in the more higher stakes trauma of his daughter dying around that time and probably carrying some added weight from that alone, and I don't think Snyder really needs much reason to want to watch that movie at all.

For those first examples, I dont necessarily believe them either. Its FAR easier to just throw some gentle shade by saying you've never seen the finished product without having to agonizingly compare and contrast an intended version of the film that will never be seen with the one that was released in every single interview for years.

As for the second part, yeah I get that but he chose to go back and finish his cut so its not like he was emotionally unable to interact with the scenes he shot during that period.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to like this movie at all and but i can appreciate his dedication

Now if only his movies are better