• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
the aspect ratio

the framing

oh my god, it even has block text

americanpsycho2000-featuredb.jpg

lol

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
How spoilerly is this one? thought the first trailer was too much.

you're so flabbergasted by the aspect ratio, text blocks, music, and vertical camera you don't really notice any content at all. i watched the trailer and don't remember a thing

other than i will be able to watch it March 31st on HBO Max

Oct 25, 2017

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Trailers are marketing, this is just marketing optimised to a common social media feed format. I don't really see what the big deal is here?

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
1:1 is the correct format for Instagram because it fills up the whole screen in app...? And someone ripped it and put it on their YouTube channel?

The text is correct for a sound-off environment, which Instagram is by default. I don't know what the issue is here.
Right? This thread is full of boomers. Like honestly half the comments are 100% this post (whether or not this comment was being facetious):

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
Small titles work fine on mobile? My mother with poor eyesight can watch seasons of seasons of Korean shows on her mobile phone and your telling me regular sized subtitles are an issue on mobiles now?
That's not the point though. It's not meant for long term engagement, like subtitles on a movie or show.

It's the equivalent of a roadside billboard, but instead of driving by, you're quickly scrolling passed it on your phone. The bold text is supposed to be eye catching and get the message across instantly amongst a sea of random social media posts.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
id watch a square film if they used the frame in an interesting way

dont think a movie like that would ever be popular though

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
id watch a square film if they used the frame in an interesting way

dont think a movie like that would ever be popular though
The only example I know of a 1:1 aspect ratio movie is Xavier Dolan's Mommy from a few years back. I haven't seen it though.

Plenty of great modern movies with narrower ratios though. Fish Tank, Meek's Cutoff, Ida.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
The only example I know of a 1:1 aspect ratio movie is Xavier Dolan's Mommy from a few years back. I haven't seen it though.

Plenty of great modern movies with narrower ratios though. Fish Tank, Meek's Cutoff, Ida.
Mommy is 1:1, and it's a great film. The stretch shot is amazing. You need to see it.

Xavier Dolan had a go at Netflix for screwing up the aspect ratio.
ill definitely check it out

i was thinking of a photography project called american squares while i was making the post
leah-frances.com

Photography — Leah Frances

American Squares

always thought it was kinda neat

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Thread is so laughably out of touch. Its marketing designed for the format its gonna be seen on, who would have thought it.

The more places you advertise the more people see it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
All the Trailer-fans in here, looking suspect and everything not being negative in here about a movie.

I see you.

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, I hate the whole premise of this. We deserve to be destroyed by Godzilla. Kong should be on the lizard's side.

On the other hand GIANT MONSTER FIGHT.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I will watch it on my watch,
Or on my iPhone with the notch,
For me the hype will never end,
Cant wait to watch this, my ERA friends.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This thing is going to do big numbers, isn't it.

We've been so starved for big, dumb fun at the movies. Even at home on a smaller screen it'll be refreshing to see two giant palookas just wailing on each other.

100% the three films I want to see the most this year are Kong Vs Godzilla, Tom and Jerry, and Space Jam 3. I don't even care if they're good, I just want something stupid and silly to watch while eating gummy worms.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
1:1 is the correct format for Instagram because it fills up the whole screen in app...? And someone ripped it and put it on their YouTube channel?

The text is correct for a sound-off environment, which Instagram is by default. I don't know what the issue is here.
Instagram bad, engagement tactics bad

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This thing is going to do big numbers, isn't it.

We've been so starved for big, dumb fun at the movies. Even at home on a smaller screen it'll be refreshing to see two giant palookas just wailing on each other.

A pattern that shows up recently is that any action film available freely on a streaming service does quite well, regardless of quality.

Which is not me making a quality judgement in the film but just saying its gonna do far better than KOTM one way or another.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
So is this straight up in mockey of Snyder lol?

That trailer is great btw