• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Change Starts Today
July 2, 2020
Ubisoft

The following is an internal letter from Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot shared with teams earlier today:

Dear all,

The situations that some of you have experienced or witnessed are absolutely not acceptable. No one should ever feel harassed or disrespected at work, and the types of inappropriate behavior we have recently learned about cannot and will not be tolerated. To those of you who have spoken up or have supported colleagues, I want to be clear: you are heard, and you are helping drive necessary change within the company.

We have significant work to do to improve the ways in which we operate and collaborate, and I am personally committed to ensuring we make these fundamental changes. They need to be profound, and we need to implement them quickly at all levels of the organization.

Specifically, I have decided to revise the composition of the Editorial Department, transform our human resource processes, and improve the accountability of all managers on these subjects.

We are not looking for a quick fix, but rather a structural shift at Ubisoft that fully aligns with our values – values that do not tolerate toxic behaviors and where everyone feels safe to speak out. We must do everything we can to ensure no one is in these situations ever again. With this in mind, I also am putting in place a series of initiatives that will serve as a roadmap as we listen, learn, and act. I will need everyone to work together to build and implement them so that respect for others remains one of the pillars of Ubisoft's culture.

Appointment of a Head of Workplace Culture

I have appointed Lidwine Sauer to oversee all our efforts in this area. Lidwine is familiar to some of you from her role as a Projects Director in the Strategic Innovation Lab, and I am very pleased that she has agreed to take on this responsibility. As I already told Lidwine, she is empowered to examine all aspects of our company's culture and to suggest comprehensive changes that will benefit all of us. Lidwine will report directly to me in this new capacity and will create an international and diverse multidisciplinary working group within Ubisoft to support these efforts. She will share more details with you about this taskforce next week.

Employee Listening Sessions in All Locations

Starting Monday, we will begin hosting a series of employee listening sessions, which some of you already have organized informally. These are not Q&A sessions or town hall meetings; the goal of these sessions is to actively and considerately listen to your experiences and concerns, as well as your suggestions for improvement. They will be held on Teams and will be moderated by different external facilitators. Your managing directors will notify you of the dates for these sessions and how to attend.
Launch of a Global Employee Survey
To complement these sessions, we will be launching a global employee survey on this subject within the next two weeks. We are in the process of finalizing it now. Our aim is to encourage candid feedback, and I ask that everyone please participate. It will be entirely anonymous and will provide us with extremely valuable insights to spur change within the company.

Ongoing Investigations into Allegations

In response to recent allegations, we launched a series of investigations that are being led by independent third parties. I know that many of you are eager to hear the results of these investigations. However, we must take the time necessary to ensure that they are carried out with the required rigor. When they are concluded, all appropriate actions will be taken. Should additional allegations or claims be brought to our attention, we will fully investigate those, as well.
In addition, Ubisoft has set up an online confidential alert platform enabling employees as well as external individuals to report harassment, discrimination and other inappropriate behaviors, including those that infringe on our Code of Fair Conduct. To ensure anonymity and confidentiality, this platform is administered by a third party, Whispli, and complaints are reviewed by a committee of CSR and legal experts.
Comprehensive Review of Policies & Procedures
We are in the process of selecting an external consulting firm to audit and improve our procedures and policies. They also will rely on the feedback from the group questionnaire and listening sessions to feed their thinking. My goal is to ensure Ubisoft's policies and procedures are best in class. We will share the audit's results and the subsequent changes that are rolled out as they happen.

Diversity & Inclusion

In parallel, we are creating the new position of Head of Diversity and Inclusion, who will report directly to me. I am committed to improving diversity across the organization, including in all of our management teams.
These concrete actions are just the beginning of profound changes at all levels. I am convinced that, all together, we will build a better Ubisoft for the benefit of all.
Again, I want to express my appreciation to those of you who have had the courage to speak up. Know that my door is always open to you if you wish to express your concerns directly to me. We have a lot to accomplish, and I am determined to make this change happen.

Yves

Source.

For more context, please check this thread and its threadmarks.

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's wild the kind of stark contrast between this and how some other companies (*cough* RIOT), have responded to similar issues with harassment and workplace culture. You can either listen, empathize and change, or you can deny and blame it on a few bad actors. Saying there are cultural issues that need to be addressed, and coming up with actual tangible plans to address those issues, is the correct response. This is not me saying "good guy Ubisoft" or anything. This should be the bare minimum, but at least they are doing that. There is no denying, or "passing the buck" in this statement, and I can appreciate that anyway.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the new position of Head of Diversity and Inclusion is going to be paramount to the success of these changes, so here's hoping they hire the right person for the job.
They seem to be on the right path to make things a lot better, so good for them.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Self quotes from the other thread:

Libération, one of the biggest French newspaper are not only publishing a big investigation about Ubisoft but are also making it their front page for tomorrow:

'With @mariuschapuis, we talked with current or past employees of Ubisoft. They denounce a virilist corporate culture at the headquarters in Montreuil and describe pressure and sexual assault. 4 pages to read tomorrow in Liberation. Here is the one.'

Their investigation already online but paywalled:

next.liberation.fr

Récits de harcèlement et d'agressions sexuelles à Ubisoft : «Les jeux vidéo c’est fun, on peut tout faire, rien n’est grave»

«Libération» a recueilli une vingtaine de témoignages qui décrivent, au siège du numéro 3 mondial du secteur, un système toxique, dominé par des hommes intouchables, que protégerait «un mur des RH».

About the promise of change within Ubisoft (still from Libé):

Internally, we're told the first rise of allegations coming from Twitter are taken as a SJW inquisition. A source tells us that conversations in the high sphere of Ubisoft, the next day of the first wave of accusations which allegedly led to Tommy François' suspension, focused on to best protect their talents and back them in their superstars statut rather than rethinking the company's culture and listening the voices of the victims. "Business is business, this is really, really disappointing".

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This is a good first step, assuming the intended sweeping changes materialise and don't just stay on paper.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
As far as a message to the public goes, that's certainly very thorough and better than the "we take matters seriously and are investigating" line we often get. Every company that can afford it should have this stuff even if their perceived culture is fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I think the main pressing matter that they need to address is present and past employees reporting abuse and harassment in the past that was not treated seriously by the company. They can't ignore those instances alongside more recent revelations.

I do think Yves is acting in good faith though, especially given how much the company means to him. But as others have said already, changes and actions must be followed-through on.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
These are really good steps towards a better studio in general. I'm really glad to read all of this.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Mr Guillemot will protect his company but he should have known about its failings earlier. It's sad to act this late...

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
With all the examples of horrible abuse and the amount that was high up people in Ubisoft, I have a real hard time to believe he heard of it just today. The buck stops at him, he should step down

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Libération, one of the biggest French newspaper are not only publishing a big investigation about Ubisoft but are also making it their front page for tomorrow:

Their investigation already online but paywalled:

next.liberation.fr

Récits de harcèlement et d'agressions sexuelles à Ubisoft : «Les jeux vidéo c’est fun, on peut tout faire, rien n’est grave»

«Libération» a recueilli une vingtaine de témoignages qui décrivent, au siège du numéro 3 mondial du secteur, un système toxique, dominé par des hommes intouchables, que protégerait «un mur des RH».

I'll try to grab it tomorrow (been a while since I had read Libé!)

Yeah the reaction internally is exactly what I expected, no one really important is gonna get sacked. Hopefully the changes will deter further harassment.
On a side note, i don't know if i'll ever get use to the "écriture inclusive" in the first tweet.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
What do we know about Guillemot's part in all this? Negligence, actively enabling harassment, or active participation in harassment?

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Is he saying that he didn't know about this stuff? At all? Nothing?

I work for a medium/small company (about 500 people) and the higher ups have absolutely no idea what is going on in 90% of the company on a personal level. Maybe it's just lack of communication or something, but their offices are even in another building, so they don't even see the day to day stuff.

I'm glad Yves Guillemot gave a better response than most have, now he needs to put words into action.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The more that comes out, the more Ubisoft sounds like a criminal enterprise. You can't reform a bunch of crooks.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Is he saying that he didn't know about this stuff? At all? Nothing?

While he might have very well known, it's not outlandish to suggest that the CEO of a company with 16 000 employees wouldn't know what's going on besides the absolute top level stuff.

He should've known, because those allegations should have reached him through the various people who report to him, but he necessarily didn't have to know.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's wild the kind of stark contrast between this and how some other companies (*cough* RIOT), have responded to similar issues with harassment and workplace culture. You can either listen, empathize and change, or you can deny and blame it on a few bad actors. Saying there are cultural issues that need to be addressed, and coming up with actual tangible plans to address those issues, is the correct response. This is not me saying "good guy Ubisoft" or anything. This should be the bare minimum, but at least they are doing that. There is no denying, or "passing the buck" in this statement, and I can appreciate that anyway.

They were happy to write it off as a "SJW inquisition" until it hit the front page of their national newspaper.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They were happy to write it off as a "SJW inquisition" until it hit the front page of their national newspaper.

I didn't realize that. I didn't see that, honestly, don't see that response anywhere. I read this article https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/26/ubis...sment-allegations-have-fallen-short-12907009/ from last week (before it was on the cover of their newspaper I believe), where they apologize, say they are launching investigations and coming up with "additional measures"...which I guess is what Yves was laying out today. I don't see the words "SJW inquisition" in there anywhere. Was that before this article came out? Where did Ubisoft call it that exactly?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I didn't realize that. I didn't see that, honestly, don't see that response anywhere. I read this article https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/26/ubis...sment-allegations-have-fallen-short-12907009/ from last week (before it was on the cover of their newspaper I believe), where they apologize, say they are launching investigations and coming up with "additional measures"...which I guess is what Yves was laying out today. I don't see the words "SJW inquisition" in there anywhere. Was that before this article came out? Where did Ubisoft call it that exactly?

Eb5nCNOXYAEP3fn

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ubisoft-leadership-accused-of-violence-and-rape-threats-up-2-july-front-page-article-in-libération-one-of-the-biggest-french-newspapers.233791/page-4#post-38632423

Translation at link

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France

It's that tweet on post #4. Noodle translated it a bit for you.

Considering the initial reaction, yeah, I'm gonna wait on that one, even if those are potentially good measures announce by Guillemot.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The policy steps are encouraging. But... he doesn't reflect on his own feelings and actions at all. Did he know? Did he ignore reports? How does he feel about leadership allegedly keeping this stuff under wraps? Not as CEO but as a person. Will he make amends to people hurt by this?

That's so infuriating about corporate-speak... it's always talking about the collective action when the problems are caused by individual choices.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While he might have very well known, it's not outlandish to suggest that the CEO of a company with 16 000 employees wouldn't know what's going on besides the absolute top level stuff.

He should've known, because those allegations should have reached him through the various people who report to him, but he necessarily didn't have to know.

Everything we've read, including the article by Libération seem to suggest that these weren't isolated cases but a cultural issue throughout the company. I am obviously not suggesting that he has to know about every single case but even in the very best case this is sounding like gross negligence which he doesn't acknowledge at all.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Screw it, let's go

I want to believe change - real, systemic change - will be made. I've already seen a few acts of good faith, which has stood in stark contrast to how cases were treated before, generally.

Edito has always been a den of snakes. The choice to hire a team of all white, all male VPs was not well recieved, and let's see how they replace some of these people - who are the CORE of this toxic behavior. As of now I'm still unsure about what their proposed solution will be. The most disappointing thing is if they replace them with people JUST as complicit as before.

I want to see HR teams in every studio who don't minimize complaints or sweep them under the rug, I want to see general education on what is and isn't okay in terms of interactions with female employees and players...

We will see. I love Ubisoft, and there are many, many wonderful people here, but things are not okay. I hope we can become a new example/standard for a truly safe, inclusive work environment in this industry, but as of now I remain skeptical.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
This seems like a good first step. Obviously the proof is in what happens next, and the culture thereafter. They obviously have a lot of work to do.

I would respectfully suggest that some of you should step away from polishing your guillotines. You might cut yourself.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Real change? Then Yves needs to step down. This all happened on his watch.
He should've done better, but I think it's hard to know everything going on in your company with thousands of employees. You basically rely on people telling you personally about it and as I recall most of the victims couldn't talk to him directly sadly as HR or other employees knowing about these incidents didn't tell him.

I think it's harsh to want him out, when he at least according to the statement wants to act and that's more than other companies did state. I can understand the anger, but what leads you to believe firing Yves would solve the situation? What if someone else comes in and does nothing to prevent these disgusting behaviors from happening?

I give him the benefit of the doubt for now and hope he acts like he describes here and his decision to let the task force directly report to him and having a female lead is promising.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017

- Maxime Beland (VP of Editorial) has resigned
- Tommy François is on disciplinary leave
- Someone from Ubisoft Toronto has been fired

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screw it, let's go

I want to believe change - real, systemic change - will be made. I've already seen a few acts of good faith, which has stood in stark contrast to how cases were treated before, generally.

Edito has always been a den of snakes. The choice to hire a team of all white, all male VPs was not well recieved, and let's see how they replace some of these people - who are the CORE of this toxic behavior. As of now I'm still unsure about what their proposed solution will be. The most disappointing thing is if they replace them with people JUST as complicit as before.

I want to see HR teams in every studio who don't minimize complaints or sweep them under the rug, I want to see general education on what is and isn't okay in terms of interactions with female employees and players...

We will see. I love Ubisoft, and there are many, many wonderful people here, but things are not okay. I hope we can become a new example/standard for a truly safe, inclusive work environment in this industry, but as of now I remain skeptical.

Do you think Hascoët will be let go? This all happened under his watch, perpetrated by people he handpicked and protected, and he didn't do shit about it. One of the victims was his own assistant!

Thanks for speaking out btw.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Do you think Hascoët will be let go? This all happened under his watch, perpetrated by people he handpicked and protected, and he didn't do shit about it. One of the victims was his own assistant!

Thanks for speaking out btw.

Honestly, if he doesn't... then all of this will be confirmed to me as purely performative.

It's an open secret that Serge does heinous shit. We're all playing "6 degrees of sexual assault". The top echelon is ruled like a mafia by men who go to each other's bbq's on the weekend. How can you speak out against someone powerful when it goes to their (equally gross) friends to judge?

So they absolutely need to axe ALL of those guys, and bring in a diverse group of people Yves hasn't been friends with for 20 years.

I hope shareholders will force this change now that it's visibly damaging the brand.