• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the consoles are fully backwards compatible it would mean you could buy them on the digital marketplace with no development costs and make tons of profits because you don't have to port anything. In that sense it makes even more sense that he would be taking about games they can't currently make money on because there isn't hardware or a marketplace for them.

There is no way in hell most stuff is going to be instantly digital. Only what's already been ported (PSone classics on PS3, PS2 on PS4, and anything on PSN going forward from when digital was mandatory on PS3).

There's all sorts of legal and license barriers to that sort of thing. Not to mention a lot of companies probably don't want it at this point. Square doesn't want you buying their 9.99 PSone RPGs, they want you buying the 18 dollar PS4 ports.

And, I mean, do you remember Ubi's catalog before the PS3 / 360 generation? If it didn't have Tom Clancy in the title, it was a large collection of licensed stuff and partnership / regional deals. So, stuff they can't sell even if everything was magically available digitally. And a large chunk of their PS3 / 360 stuff has been ported already. So your scenario doesn't make much sense for them to be focusing on. They aren't gonna make any money on Rayman 2.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
People are going to willfully misunderstand the shit out of this.

He's talking the PS4 / XB1 catalogs everyone.
This.

The Series X will run select 360 and oXbox games, not almost all their libraries. Same thing goes with the PS5 if it's BC with the PS1-3. Yves is clearly only referring to the PS4/XB1 because those are the systems the PS5/SX will be almost fully BC with. Come the fuck on, ya dorks.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
> it will be something new in the industry

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously good shit though. I expected as much. We're in the digital era now. Giving users the opportunity to move their digital media forward is the way to go, and the positives for platform holders and users both far outweigh any negatives.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
There is no way in hell most stuff is going to be instantly digital. Only what's already been ported (PSone classics on PS3, PS2 on PS4, and anything on PSN going forward from when digital was mandatory on PS3).

There's all sorts of legal and license barriers to that sort of thing. Not to mention a lot of companies probably don't want it at this point. Square doesn't want you buying their 9.99 PSone RPGs, they want you buying the 18 dollar PS4 ports.

And, I mean, do you remember Ubi's catalog before the PS3 / 360 generation? If it didn't have Tom Clancy in the title, it was a large collection of licensed stuff and partnership / regional deals. So, stuff they can't sell even if everything was magically available digitally. And a large chunk of their PS3 / 360 stuff has been ported already. So your scenario doesn't make much sense for them to be focusing on. They aren't gonna make any money on Rayman 2.

Depending on the game the licensing could be minimal for a vast majority of internal IP. As for being "magically digital" There's no porting, it's basically a game image.

As for the financial incentive it's simple. It's the Netflix model where companies get a predetermined amount just for allowing their content on the platform. For PSNow and GamePass it makes excellent financial sense when the product is almost cost less because most of the cost has already been incurred its nearly all profit.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
PS2 and PS3 aren't happening.

It's not technically feasible outside of a curated classics service and even then in the case of the PS3 it's unlikely.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Well, the only game I want for PS3 is Demons Soul's so as long as the remaster/remake is coming I'll be good.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Gens before PS360 are already 99% "saved" by emulation. And it seems likely that PS4/One gen will be the one from where all future consoles will be back compat with.

That leaves the PS360 gen where quite a few games are stuck because emulation isn't quite there yet, and even Xbone back compat doesn't work with them.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Even PS1 games?

This is amazing, I've been waiting 25 years for a machine that can play them!

Pretty sure he means Gen 8 machines.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
broad statement, Xbox already has good BC but Sony not so much, so the almost could be about PS5 only having PS4 support.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
If they are talking about PS4/X1 games on next gen then "Almost" better not be in the vocab.
He's probably just covering his bases but even so, I don't think you should expect 100% backwards compatibility anyway. There's plenty of things that could go wrong, like the next gen consoles not supporting specific peripherals that some games require (like Kinect) or there just being some incompatibilities with their BC solution (like the handful of PS1 games the PS2 couldn't run). So long as it's limited to a small number of titles, it really isn't the end of the world.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
Why someone have to immediately dismiss comment about possibility of Full BC : (

Let us dream ! :D

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
He's specifically talking about the current gen machines.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
People really try hard to make more out of that sentence then there really is.
He is already wrong with the first part of the sentence. Something new in the industry?
No, BC isn't something new in the industry.
Just standard PR talk.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. No third party publisher is going to assume that backwards compatibility is going to be 100%, especially not at launch. There'll be games that have weird coding, or games with hardware dependencies, or even just games that aren't playable because they rely on an online infrastructure that doesn't exist any more.

I agree with this interpretation, but why would he say it's something new in the industry? It happened long ago with PS1->PS2->Early PS3s.
Near-complete compatibility at launch of a generation is a new thing. It's not new in specific instances, but those were console-specific and often limited. The PS2 could play PSOne games, but for anyone upgrading from another console (not PSOne), nothing played their old games. Equally, for anyone upgrading to another console (not PS2), there were no older games to pick up.

The generation afterwards was a different story - Wii could play GameCube games, Xbox 360 could play (some) Xbox games (depending on updates), and PS3s could play a selection of PS2 games (and PSOne games). However the selection on the Xbox 360 and PS3 remained rather limited. On Xbox 360 Microsoft added games for a while, eventually got to a respectable level and then stopped. On PS3 Sony did increase compatibility (and fixed some issues), then dropped the CPU hardware which lowered compatibility, gradually raised it again through updates, and then dropped PS2 compatibility entirely on newer models. So for that generation, backwards compatibility was just a mess.

With PS5 and Xbox Series X, things look much cleaner from the start. They'll both play lots of games, at least from PS4 and Xbox One respectively, and there shouldn't be a need for years of updates to ramp up compatibility, or for model revisions to remove it. No matter which console(s) they owned beforehand, anyone buying a console next generation will have the choice of buying a machine that can play most (maybe all) of their games from this generation, and that is indeed a new thing.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
He means last gen and he said 'almost all' because shit like Kinect Fighter Within won't be BC.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
He is already wrong with the first part or the sentence. Something new in the industry?
Just standard PR talk.
Not really. He's not talking about backwards compatibility in the PS1->PS2 or Wii->WiiU sense, he's referring to the way backwards compatibility is basically going to make this transition a PC-like upgrade where devs/pubs will be able to release cross-gen games and PS5/SX owners won't even notice.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
"Those consoles will be running almost all the back catalog of the previous consoles.

"It will be something new in the industry. It will help the old generations to continue to be big consoles on the market for years to come."

https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...y-ubisoft-all-back-catalog-previous-consoles/

We know PS4 backwards compatibility is confirmed so that's a given..
PS1, PS2 and PS3 confirmed? PS1, PS2 and PS3 confirmed.

No, he clearly says the previous, which is PS4 and X1.
Not only that, he says "almost all", which is even worse than we assumed.

So this is bad news, if true.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
He is already wrong with the first part of the sentence. Something new in the industry?
Just standard PR talk.

The way BC is happening now is indeed a new thing in the industry.
For a new gen of consoles to remain in the same ecosystem as the old one is entirely new.
It's not even BC, the games will just natively work because it's the same thing except beefier specs.

This is a huge departure from what we've seen previously.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just standard PR talk.

There has never been a generation of consoles where near 100% compatibility has been available across all those machines.

The PS2 was the last machine to do it really well

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Not really. He's not talking about backwards compatibility in the PS1->PS2 or Wii->WiiU sense, he's referring to the way backwards compatibility is basically going to make this transition a PC-like upgrade where devs/pubs will be able to release cross-gen games and PS5/SX owners won't even notice.

That is what he said:

"Those consoles will be running almost all the back catalog of the previous consoles. It will be something new in the industry. It will help the old generations to continue to be big consoles on the market for years to come."

His sentence says, you can play the back catalog of the previous console on the new console, and that it is something new for the industry.
It sounds like BC, like ps2 can play ps1 games, or ps3 can play ps1 and 2 games (yes, i know it happened just with the first charge of ps3 consoles).

But yes, "generation less" games would be something new, and it makes sense for digital distribution.
But i don't think disc games will be "generation less".

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
That is what he said:

"Those consoles will be running almost all the back catalog of the previous consoles. It will be something new in the industry. It will help the old generations to continue to be big consoles on the market for years to come."

His sentence says, you can play the back catalog of the previous console on the new console, and that it is something new for the industry.
It sounds like BC, like ps2 can play ps1 games, or ps3 can play ps1 and 2 games (yes, i know it happened just with the first charge of ps3 consoles).

But yes, "generation less" games would be something new, and it makes sense for digital distribution.
But i don't think disc games will be "generation less".
The last sentence of that quote is the important part IMO, as it's coming from the head of a major publisher. Maybe I'm wrong but to me that reads like he's saying that due to backwards compatibility, they're planning on supporting the PS4/XB1 for years to come.

You're right that retail games probably won't be "generation-less", they'll be limited by store shelves and how many copies were printed, but that's less than half of the market these days and shrinking. And I wouldn't be surprised if we see some unique solutions to that problem, like what Microsoft did with their 360/XB1 cases. Or maybe they could print a single disc and then ship it in two different cases.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I wonder if some of the current gen service titles will be able to keep things going well into the next generation thanks to this.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
My PS3 finally gave up the ghost the other day......I'm sure I'll be picking up a second hand one before I play any of my PS3 discs on a PS5,lol.

May 21, 2018

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The Generation of Rennaissance.

Just imagine how much new gamers will be going back to really old games, and people making articles about old games and then maybe we'll rediscover some of the things we've moved on from in game-design? I would argue Breath of the Wild brought back some "old" principles that had become eroded by AAA convention, and many games can benefit from rethinking themselves like that.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Cross Generation play first, then Cross Platform.

The Cross Gen + Cross Platform future will soon be upon us.
Going to do some really interesting things for player pool sizes, keep games alive for longer since your friends can be on any platform across either gen and still jam with you, lowering the barries for entry for multiplayer titles with long shelf lives.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
The fact that cross gen games will only have one platform sku that play on both gens and if its true that i can take my entire ps4 collection with me sounds more exciting to me then whatever new next only titles will show up.