• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
When Switch Pro releases I'm definitely going to hack my OG Switch to dump all my games and try this out. I had no idea Switch emulation was at this point.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Yes, hacking a console is legal. Unless you live in Japan. Do you live in Japan?

Like, explain to me why doing whatever I want with a physical thing that I own would be illegal.
Nope, I live in Lebanon.

But in General, as far as i know, Hacked Consoles are used to play Illegal software or ISO. People Hacked the PS1,2,3,4,PSP,DS in order to play free games or cheap copies.
That's it, the phrase was weird.

Oct 28, 2019
Ryujinx also plays it at fullspeed and has resolution scaling unlike Yuzu at the moment. Here it is at 3x resolution.

Nx7LHZZ.jpg

Shader generation. It's cached so the amount of freezing only goes down the more it's played.

This shit is beautiful and that's why it's so important these emulators progress. If I want to replay Switch games down the line I don't want to be stuck with shitty resolutions and framerates.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you captain Obvious.
I don't know if you had a point, but I don't see why emulation vs. playing on native hardware makes a difference in terms of piracy. The piracy is the issue, not the emulation. Modded consoles are a thing (though less of one than in the past). If I can play a better version of a game sooner rather than later, then great.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
You pay for the games and dump them using a modded switch. Which is 100% legal. Emulators themselves are also legal.

if you go downloading roms and iso's of games for free on shady sites, THATS piracy. Which is obviously illegal.

Has there ever been a study as to what %age of emulator users pay for a game that is commercially available in the current market vs. those who go and download a dump? If you've got 1% paying and 99% not, I'd like to see emulation for commercially available titles put under real scrutiny, because I feel like there is a lot of wilful ignorance going on here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a study as to what %age of emulator users pay for a game that is commercially available in the current market vs. those who go and download a dump? If you've got 1% paying and 99% not, I'd like to see emulation for commercially available titles put under real scrutiny, because I feel like there is a lot of wilful ignorance going on here.
It doesn't matter, the emulator will still be legal.

If 99% of the users download the game illegally, the problem then is for the websites hosting them, or people sharing it. Not the emulator, and no, it should not be put under "real scrutiny". The yuzu.exe program is not giving you any access to anything copyright protected.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It doesn't matter, the emulator will still be legal.

If 99% of the users download the game illegally, the problem then is for the websites hosting them, or people sharing it. Not the emulator, and no, it should not be put under "real scrutiny". The yuzu.exe program is not giving you any access to anything copyright protected.

Ethically, you are providing a means to an end for a large population. If the aim of emulation is preservation, then keep the software behind closed doors until titles are no longer commercially viable. Or code in a capability that it can only run from actual physically bought title. Or *something* that verifies that someone has bought the title from an official channel, right up until the point where you cannot buy them any more.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Ethically, you are providing a means to an end for a large population. If the aim of emulation is preservation, then keep the software behind closed doors until titles are no longer commercially viable. Or code in a capability that it can only run from actual physically bought title. Or *something* that verifies that someone has bought the title from an official channel, right up until the point where you cannot buy them any more.
How about no!

I am quite happy playing my Wii/Wii U/Switch games at high resolutions and framerate.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Why?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wow what. That's really impressive. I guess it's simpler to emulate modern consoles because they might be more straightforward?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Wow what. That's really impressive. I guess it's simpler to emulate modern consoles because they might be more straightforward?
Switch in particular is pretty easy because it, hardware wise, has an almost out of the box Nvidia Tegra X1, which is highly documented. So the process of emulating it is somewhat straightforward.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This shit is beautiful and that's why it's so important these emulators progress. If I want to replay Switch games down the line I don't want to be stuck with shitty resolutions and framerates.

I straight up stopped playing Link's Awakening after 2 hours because I wanted to wait for emulators to become developed enough to play it at an acceptable framerate and play through like that instead. It was absolutely jarring trying to play on the Switch. I'll have to check if we've reached that point yet.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Equating emulation with piracy, thread derailing
It comes down to empathy, doesn't it?

In this thread you can absolutely prove that emulation is legal.

In this thread you cannot prove that each and everybody on the site is legally emulating.

The OT's for most games around here, you take it as read the people enjoying the game along with you, legitimately obtained it.

You cannot necessarily do that here, in this community, with Switch games. That's a fact

With the amount of acrobatics we all go through when talking about this topic, no matter your stance, it should start with people recognising some home truths. And how that could in turn make others feel.

As I said, empathy.

Don't agree with someone? That's your prerogative. At least consider what they are saying and why, first.

Probably 50% of all Nintendo-related discussion needs to be taken with the grain of salt that we're all emulating current hardware/software. It's fine if that doesn't sit well with someone, surely.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK

In this thread you cannot prove that each and everybody on the site is legally emulating.

The OT's for most games around here, you take it as read the people enjoying the game along with you, legitimately obtained it.

You cannot necessarily do that here, in this community, with Switch games. That's a fact

With the amount of acrobatics we all go through when talking about this topic, no matter your stance, it should start with people recognising some home truths. And how that could in turn make others feel.

As I said, empathy.

Don't agree with someone? That's your prerogative. At least consider what they are saying and why, first.

Probably 50% of all Nintendo-related discussion needs to be taken with the grain of salt that we're all emulating current hardware/software. It's fine if that doesn't sit well with someone, surely.
Create a different thread talking about the morality and legality?

People are just sick of the same topic brought up when ever we are talking about emulation on a thread that is not about the morality of it.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah with drops during certain sections but mostly a locked 60. The issue for some is that it's dynamic 792p (mostly 720p) even when docked.

Hopefully the Switch Pro is out by the end of the year for those that care about good image quality because even if it doesn't use DLSS it should still be enough of an upgrade to hit 1080p in most games when docked.

I am sitting on hot coals waiting for the Switch Pro. Those 720p to 900p games just don't look great on my 4K TV. Also makes me always wonder why Nintendo seemingly refuses to use AA.

How is it 2021 and people are still so ignorant about emulators?

Nintendo is really good at making emulation look illegal. A lot their language around this stuff drives this.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope they are making major progress. Their Patreon brings in $25k per month, which is obviously enough to hire several decent devs.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017

As I said, empathy.

One of the few things GAF got right was everybody is given the benefit of the doubt to be doing things legally. Accusing someone of piracy in a topic about hacked consoles or emulation without hard evidence was just outright not allowed and led to bans. The ban wave when PS3 got hacked was a sight to behold.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

As I said, empathy.

With this way of thinking, you can't be sure people are legally playing in any OT of a third party games with a cracked pc version, which is a lot. And even if this emulator didn't exist there are ways to play pirated games on original switch hardware. If you see this as a problem, this emulator existing is not even the biggest factor in that.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

People are just sick of the same topic brought up when ever we are talking about emulation on a thread that is not about the morality of it.
Gonna be difficult in this specific thread.

This thread is talking about people's beloved Mario in his latest game that only releases today worldwide on the Switch. And the talk is how it already runs superbly through emulation on a PC.

A lot of Era users are gonna be spending their money on Super Mario 3D World today, come to Era, see this thread and raise their eyebrows.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be difficult in this specific thread.

This thread is talking about people's beloved Mario in his latest game that only releases today worldwide on the Switch. And the talk is how it already runs superbly through emulation on a PC.

A lot of Era users are gonna be spending their money on Super Mario 3D World today, come to Era, see this thread and raise their eyebrows.

As I say, empathy.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Equating emulation with piracy, thread derailing

I mean, this very thread skirts that legality line, considering the emulated game just released today.

While it is possible that the copy used in the video posted in OP comes from a copy that broke street date, you have to admit it is quite suspect when you add that the game was leaked online before release.

If they had made the video, say, a week after release, at least I personally wouldn't be raising an eyebrow. But I think it is fair to ask where did the emulated copy come from, considering the circumstances.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I mean, this very thread skirts that legality line, considering the emulated game just released today.

While it is possible that the copy used in the video posted in OP comes from a copy that broke street date, you have to admit it is quite suspect when you add that the game was leaked online before release.

If they had made the video, say, a week after release, at least I personally wouldn't be raising an eyebrow. But I think it is fair to ask where did the emulated copy come from, considering the circumstances.
So what? Why does that even matter?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Every single emulation thread ends the same way lmfao

Godbless emulators

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
How do you think Mario 3D World was tested on Yuzo when the game hadn't released yet?

Somewhere the street date was broken, the dump was uploaded and piracy started.

It is always an endless argument that where on the morality/legality scale is emulating games not even released yet officially.

It can always be said that "they got it legally due to a broken street date and dumped it for themselves".

And yet I suppose that everyone at least suspects that this is true only in case of a really small percentage of people emulating current gen games and this activity is mostly similar to PC piracy where it is also possible that a small percentage buys the game then cracks it to avoid performance issues caused by denuvo for example.

I think the main difference is that emulation is traditionally about preservation and not about piracy. And current gen emulation, especially for games not even released yet is so new that the general consensus don't even know yet how to react to it. There are people who are saying that promoting this is at least morally wrong and there are people who are thinking that since it is emulation we should handle it like we handled it before.

Last edited:

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
So I imagine if you've bought digital games then legally using the emulator is pretty much not possible?

If you have the physical cartirdge are there readers for PC so you can use that?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Most probably, BOTW2 will work right outside from the box since it's using the same tech as 1 and Age of Calamity, as far as we know.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

Do you think it takes an entire week to dump your own copy of a Switch game or something?

So I imagine if you've bought digital games then legally using the emulator is pretty much not possible?

If you have the physical cartirdge are there readers for PC so you can use that?
Once you've hacked your Switch, you can use homebrew tools out there to have your Switch make an image of the contents of the cart and put that image on the SD card for Yuzu to open on your PC. Basically the same as the Wii and Wii U. You just need the ability to run homebrew apps on your console, which on Nintendo consoles has been laughably easy to achieve.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
See my post above. This thread is talking about Mario's latest game that launches today, that people are going out and buying right now. Of course people are gonna ask questions.
Unless you can prove that user X or Y pirated the game, that's just called a witch hunt.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
See my post above. This thread is talking about Mario's latest game that launches today, that people are going out and buying right now. Of course people are gonna ask questions.
Is the implication that the person in the video must have obtained the game code through a leak or that it was stolen from one of Nintendo's servers? Or that it's impossible for someone who bought it early to have dumped it?

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
Once you've hacked your Switch, you can use homebrew tools out there to have your Switch make an image of the contents of the cart and put that image on the SD card for Yuzu to open on your PC. Basically the same as the Wii and Wii U. You just need the ability to run homebrew apps on your console, which on Nintendo consoles has been laughably easy to achieve.

Ah okay. Unlikely for me as got a Lets Go + AC Switch so probably too recent FW and post the joycon slider hack thing I think

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
How do you think Mario 3D World was tested on Yuzo when the game hadn't released yet?

I haven't been following the emulation scene so I don't know where they got their copy. Probably an early copy? At least in Malaysia, I've seen people receive theirs 2-3 days ago. Retailers shipped the game out early because of COVID lockdowns and CNY celebrations.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the need and nor does anybody else. These threads should do.
Because going into emulation threads and trying to equate it to piracy/"just asks questions"/blame other people is thankfully a banable offense here that usually gets zero tolerance, if you want to talk about piracy don't derail this thread and go make your own, you know "empathy".

Ah okay. Unlikely for me as got a Lets Go + AC Switch so probably too recent FW and post the joycon slider hack thing I think
Firmware doesn't matter as long as it's an old model. You can check that by serial number.

If they had made the video, say, a week after release, at least I personally wouldn't be raising an eyebrow.
lol, lmao

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't care. This thread is about how SM3W is running on Yuzu. We're not here to play Carmen Sandiego.
I don't see the need and nor does anybody else. These threads should do.
If you want to get banned for derailing an emulation thread, sure. There's zero tolerance for that out there because of people like you that always try to shift the discussion to something else in emulations threads.

Back on topic, this is awesome. I feel like if Yuzu keeps getting better in terms of performance and netplay, this could be really big for playing Smash Ultimate online.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I agree that so much of the controversy around active system emulation would be put to bed if there was some way to verify the games were being played via legal means (ie. verifying the ownership of the physical game). Not sure it's possible though.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
4790k from my understanding is still among the CPUs with the highest single core performance, which is the kind of performance emulators need to run fast.

I bought mine in 2015 because it was the best for emulators like Dolphin at the time, and even today I simply can't justify upgrading my 6-year-old PC because it's just too good... I really should try some Switch emulation on it one day, if it really does run that well.
It's kinda fast but nowhere close to modern CPUs. I say that as a 4790K user and saw significant improvement by moving to a 3700X in both gaming 1% lows and emulation performance.