• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yup. He's 21 and seen some shit. He's complex and comfortable with who he is which is a rare thing in JPRG protags.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I have felt the same since the first time playing Vesperia on the 360, and now in the middle of playing the HD version, I agree even more. RPGs could use more characters like him.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It was refreshing to get a guy who's story is in the making than your JRPG character with a traumatic past or having lame 'coming of age' protag spouting platitudes.

Right. They left all the preachy shit to Estelle, awkward puberty shit to Karol and the edginess to Judy. It's like he is is trope free.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's early days, but I feel I might like Vesperia more than I liked Symphonia (though Symphonia gets the nostalgia points, I guess).
We'll see how Vesperia holds up over the next 20 hours.
I want to replay Vesperia because I remember it being on the "good average" Tales of category. For me, the "good" Tales of are Shymponia, Phantasia and Abyss. The "good average" ones are Destiny, Vesperia, Berseria. The "bad average" ones are Zestiria and Hearts. And all the others are in the "neutral average" category.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Having not played any other Tales game, Yuri makes the strongest case for me that a good voiced main character with his own morals and beliefs is superior to the self-insert silent protag of most other jrpg's at least for me. All the fanfare about him i heard before made the impression to me that he comes out perfect from the beginning but to my surprise he gets humbled on his old views and takes criticism pretty seriously and is never too melodramatic about stuff either. Really like how many of these skits there are to flesh out the charcters in a fun way. I will probablly get broken by my completionists needs and just take it easy for my first playthrough.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Phantom Thief be sure to watch the prequel anime movie it's great

9b2dea849d8560ea97fda72992376be2e39ebb1f5d21e37f9fcf61ed7295ec30.gif

cd8c3fa87210d78bf23ef2c214e868b3bb293103_hq.gif
There's a prequel anime? Holy fck

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What really bums me out is that this is clearly a winning formula they have, and one that the fan base for the series took to well, judging by Yuri's popularity, and yet they have refused to follow up on it in ten years. How can you be this stupid?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
The bizarre thing is definitely his design. One of the most girly looking Tales of male lead.
Yuri spoke in a cutscene as I was playing this in front of my wife and she was floored to find out he wasn't a she. And mind you, she watches a bunch of Anime, so she's no stranger to androgynous Anime dudes.

But yeah, Yuri is indeed amazing and the only other JRPG protagonist I like more is maybe Zidane (FFIX).

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It was refreshing to get a guy who's story is in the making than your JRPG character with a traumatic past or having lame 'coming of age' protag spouting platitudes.

IIRC this was the first tales game I played after Vesperia, and holy hell could they not have 180'd harder. Asbel is an insufferable protagonist that falls into every trope Yuri avoids.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
What really bums me out is that this is clearly a winning formula they have, and one that the fan base for the series took to well, judging by Yuri's popularity, and yet they have refused to follow up on it in ten years. How can you be this stupid?
I don't understand what you meam. Bamco released tons of Tales of games after Vesperia, most of them fairly similar. They even used the rogue hero again in Berseria, this time even more "anti-hero" than ever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what you meam. Bamco released tons of Tales of games after Vesperia, most of them fairly similar. They even used the rogue hero again in Berseria, this time even more "anti-hero" than ever.
Haven't played Berseria, but Graces, Xillia/2, and Zestiria all eschewed this template for the protagonist entirely.

Will be interesting to see how you like it as the game progresses.
I don't think it will beat out, say, Xenoblade 2 or Dragon Quest 11 for me (let alone something like P5), but I think I will like it a lot if it continues along this path... which it may not, judging by some recent developments in the story lol.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who knows what game they announce at Tales Festival this year. Might be Vesperia 2.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 10 hours into Vesperia and I like him, but I think he is overrated considering how people couldn't shut up about him.

Also, I agree much more with Flynn's ideology than Yuris so whenever they fought in a cutscene I'm always disagreeing with his way of doing things...

The thing is about Flynn is that his method would probably eventually get him killed if Yuri didn't go vigilante.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Haven't played Berseria, but Graces, Xillia/2, and Zestiria all eschewed this template for the protagonist entirely.
Well, Berseria was exactly a response to this criticism. The main hero is edgy as hell (I prefer Yuri) and fights again the "system" during all the game. Also the bad guys are not that bad and there are some genuine ambiguous situations where the MC decisions are all about her interest and against the common wellfare.

Edit: the game has the main problem as Vesperia or most JRPGs, at the end it's all about saving the world and fighting almighty entities, which is a shame really.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Yuri is fantastic. It's refreshing to see a JRPG protag who's a bit older and on the mature side without treading into Gary Stu territory.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is about Flynn is that his method would probably eventually get him killed if Yuri didn't go vigilante.
Yeah, Flynn would probably have ended up on the wrong end of a sword if Yuri wasn't looking out for him.

Well, Berseria was exactly a response to this criticism. The main hero is edgy as hell (I prefer Yuri) and fights again the "system" during all the game. Also the bad guys are not that bad and there are some genuine ambiguous situations where the MC decisions are all about her interest and against the common wellfare.

Edit: the game has the main problem as Vesperia or most JRPGs, at the end it's all about saving the world and fighting almighty entities, which is a shame really.
I'll get to Berseria eventually. It's good to hear Velvet is more like Yuri.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Yuri is da boi, especially with the Dark Enforcer costume.

I remember buying my first 360 just for this game and I didn't regret it at all, the game instantly became my favorite jRPG that gen. Having a protag with basically no tropey bullshit was really refreshing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuri is da boi, especially with the Dark Enforcer costume.

I remember buying my first 360 just for this game and I didn't regret it at all, the game instantly became my favorite jRPG that gen. Having a protag with basically no tropey bullshit was really refreshing.
I think that's the key thing, you have a protagonist who somehow falls into none of the usual tropes. It's so cool to have a character like him, and so sad that there aren't more of his type around.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of Tales games, yeah, Yuri is definitely at the top (Velvet is probably the only one to come close since then).

In comparison to general JRPG protagonists though? Eh... he's up there but Yuri still has a ways to go before touching the likes of Yuri from Shadow Hearts, Stocke from Radiant Historia, Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of Tales games, yeah, Yuri is definitely at the top (Velvet is probably the only one to come close since then).

In comparison to general JRPG protagonists though? Eh... he's up there but Yuri still has a ways to go before touching the likes of Yuri from Shadow Hearts, Stocke from Radiant Historia, Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile, etc.
I should play Shadow Hearts

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is Vesperia good for someone that really liked Symphonia? I played Abyss, but hated the main character.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to
Yuri murder Cumore. I honestly expected
his murder of Ragou to be a one time thing only, I didn't expect this to be a path he goes down continuously. Surprised Estelle seems to be on board as well.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Totally agree with you OP.
Yuri is one of my favourite protagonists of all time and he just gets better and better as the game goes on

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yuri being the best jrpg antagonist since 2007 is a total damnation of the genre (plenty of superior games but they all seem to use silent protags).

Nier came out in 2010.

Yuri is a big part of why Vesperia is the best Tales game, though (at least among those released in the west -- ToD Remake/2 might be better overall?).

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Only an hour and a half in, but yeah, I'm liking Yuri as a protagonist. Definitely a change of pace from the protagonists we usually see in JRPGs.

Side note: when does the battle system get good?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They got what they deserved. Btw, do you hate Sodia yet?
No, am I supposed to? I've got no impression of her so far

Welcome to 2008 P chan.
I'm bummed I didn't listen to you before :P

Only an hour and a half in, but yeah, I'm liking Yuri as a protagonist. Definitely a change of pace from the protagonists we usually see in JRPGs.

Side note: when does the battle system get good?
It builds up slowly over a few hours. It gets a bit more nuanced around where you are, and then gets more mechanics added to it over time. I recommend switching the difficulty to a higher level of it gets too button mashy as well.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
It's been over a decade, but I remember being disappointed
that he never has to confront his own hypocrisy in any meaningful way. I remember that phoenix thing literally turning his own words against him about how an infected body part should be cut off to avoid killing the whole. But because the greater good involves killing one of his own friends this time instead of a cartoonishly evil government official, he refuses. I like him a lot, and the hypocrisy humanizes him, but I was disappointed that nobody grilled him harder over it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yuri is phenomenal as far as JRPG leads. A decent head on his shoulders, a sense of humor, a badass but also is warm and empathetic to those he interacts with. And a sense of morality that doesn't just leave him to content to sit on the sidelines and presume that systemic injustice will sort itself out.

Yuri is a bar that no other game in the genre has been able to meet.

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
Vesperia had the best all around cast
Can't think of another Tales game that did it so well
Yuri was icing on the cake
I think the cast also had a lot of chemistry that I didn't feel in other Tales games, the way they teased each other was one of my favorite things

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Vesperia had the best all around cast
Can't think of another Tales game that did it so well
Yuri was icing on the cake
I think the cast also had a lot of chemistry that I didn't feel in other Tales games, the way they teased each other was one of my favorite things

I will disagree here, most tales games are good with this. You can fault the game play or main story but the skits system actually provide a lot of nice characters interactions and moments.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will disagree here, most tales games are good with this. You can fault the game play or main story but the skits system actually provide a lot of nice characters interactions and moments.

I played Vesperia a decade ago and Berseria a few months ago, but can't remember any of the latter's party members save for Velvet and her pseudo-brother (and that the pirate had an awful character design).

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Just got to
Yuri murder Cumore. I honestly expected
his murder of Ragou to be a one time thing only, I didn't expect this to be a path he goes down continuously. Surprised Estelle seems to be on board as well.

Notice how Estelle herself doesn't slide into a neat little box labeled "sheltered royal ingenue".

Well, Graces is the "Discovering the Strength to Protect RPG" after all, though they went a bit overboard with that tagline :p

MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU

Oct 27, 2017
[
MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU MAMOROU

Yup, sounds about right.

Though my award for best Tales genre still goes to Tales of Rebirth for its incredibly gripping 「クレア!」と叫ぶ RPG ("Yelling 'KUREA' RPG").