• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yuri-lowell.jpg

I'm playing Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition at the moment (~20 hours into it), and while I will take the time to share my thoughts on the game as a whole when I am done with it, right now I want to take this time to talk about hearththrob Yuri Lowell, the protagonist of the game.

Yuri is fantastic, y'all. I don't know if you've played the game (if you have, you know exactly what I am talking about), but he's amazing. He's like an anime Han Solo. he has a no-nonsense, rogue with a heart of gold personality, where he can be ruthless because of the shit he has seen, but he will always look out for the little guys. His mentoring of Karol is heartwarming, and the kind of thing we see very rarely in a game like this, or in a game, period. Essentially, he's the "cocky dude who knows shit" template from the other games, but where in the other games, that cocky dude is a mentor to the protagonist, here, Yuri is the protagonist. It works very well, because Yuri ends up acting as a center of gravity for all the people around him, helping them grow and realize what they each want from their lives.

Yuri is aided by amazing writing (it's surprising how much restraint Tales of Vesperia shows for an "anime game"), and a superlative performance by Troy Baker (if I'm not wrong, this and Kanji were his breakout roles). He's absolutely fantastic, and I really wish more games would have protagonists like him.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason no JRPG after it had a better or same quality protag until Nier A came around.

Glad you're enjoying it. He's gonna grow more because he's kinda a bit too one track minded on his vigilantism.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
He's interesting because he's different from the other Tales of protagonists. The game pits his conception of justice (what his right) against that of his best friend Flynn (what the law requires). And the game constantly shows that he isn't afraid to commit murder and crimes if it's for greater good. He's also kind of a father figure for Karol too. He also feels more like an adult (see the events with the Don) than the usual Tales of protagonist.

The bizarre thing is definitely his design. One of the most girly looking Tales of male lead.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Yuri is a main character you would never expect in a tales game, maybe in most rpgs as well, the way he talks and acts, soo mature.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's easily the best part of the game.

Hell, he's probably the best thing to come out of the franchise, and that's coming from a big fan of the franchise.

The fact that he's followed up by Asbel of all things is an insult.

Oct 27, 2017
People loved Yuri so much that since he got voted #1 in the popularity polls for the series so many years in a row, they took him out and just put him in a Hall of Fame.

He's definitely one of the best Tales protagonists, and possibly one of the best in both his genre and all time. Even though I liked most Tales games that came afterward, the only protagonist that had managed to actually impress me since Yuri is Velvet.

Given that him, Senel, Velvet, Luke, and Reid are my favorite protagonists in the series, it kind of feels like the writers for the franchise are at their best when they are working with unconventional heroes and I hope that they bring that back for future entries given that Tales games up until Berseria pretty much all had "naive young swordsman who is near perfect" as their protagonist.

Oct 27, 2017
He's easily the best part of the game.

Hell, he's probably the best thing to come out of the franchise, and that's coming from a big fan of the franchise.

The fact that he's followed up by Asbel of all things is an insult.

Asbel was...not great, got a lot better in the Future Arc, but the main story? He's kind of annoying. I think the funniest thing about Graces is that I actually really like the game, it's one of my favorites of all time, with the cast being a strong point; yet, the only character in the game I didn't like was Asbel, the main one.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Tbh this whole time I thought that character was a girl..damn I've been mislead by this boxart all this time lol

pa.125658.1.jpg

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Playing as a reasonable and likeable protagonist in a JRPG didn't save the game from being forgettable, even 10 years ago.

It made it above average, because the rest of the genre is full of obnoxious trash. Power fantasy nonsense written for children, and anime tropes that don't localize well to begin with.

My favorite FF is 8, but if it had been fully voice acted with a more modern presentation, I expect I would have given up and bounced off of it due to one or more of the enthusiastic characters confronting the edge lord protagonist in a grating, "anime" way.

Last edited:

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Playing as a reasonable and likeable protagonist in a JRPG didn't save the game from being forgettable, even 10 years ago.

It made it above average, because the rest of the genre is full of obnoxious trash. Power fantasy nonsense written for children, and anime tropes that don't localize well to begin with.

Jeez, tell us how you really feel.

I'm so glad that people can enjoy different things. Jrpgs are my preferred genre, while still loving games like the Witcher series.

I just finished this game for the first time since I never had a 360 and I could enjoy it on my ps4, and it was great, a top tier tales game. Still stands the test of being among the best in the series it seems.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas

My favorite FF is 8, but if it had been fully voice acted with a more modern presentation, I expect I would have given up and bounced off of it due to one or more of the enthusiastic characters confronting the edge lord protagonist in a grating, "anime" way.

squall is not an edgelord damnit, he's just a teenager

and yuri being the best jrpg antagonist since 2007 is a total damnation of the genre (plenty of superior games but they all seem to use silent protags).

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I'm 10 hours into Vesperia and I like him, but I think he is overrated considering how people couldn't shut up about him.

Also, I agree much more with Flynn's ideology than Yuris so whenever they fought in a cutscene I'm always disagreeing with his way of doing things...

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 10 hours into Vesperia and I like him, but I think he is overrated considering how people couldn't shut up about him.

Also, I agree much more with Flynn's ideology than Yuris so whenever they fought in a cutscene I'm always disagreeing with his way of doing things...

You are only 10 hours into the game. You will understand why people love Yuri soon.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 25 hours in and loving it. Mostly like the cast of characters but Yuri is definitely the standout.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's fine. At least there's a discussion on ideologies happening between two protags. Usually in Tales games, it only happens between the hero and villain, or it doesn't happen at all when it could be clearly happening (Sorey and Rose in Zestiria).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you don't think too highly of Yuri, he was a breath of fresh air in the JRPG lead template, especially for a series that leans so hard into the usual tropes.

I like that he actually gets called out by his pals for some of the shit he does.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason no JRPG after it had a better or same quality protag until Nier A came around.

Glad you're enjoying it. He's gonna grow more because he's kinda a bit too one track minded on his vigilantism.
I actually enjoy his vigilantism, it feels very well earned so far (and he hasn't overstepped his bounds much so far).

Even if you don't think too highly of Yuri, he was a breath of fresh air in the JRPG lead template, especially for a series that leans so hard into the usual tropes.

I like that he actually gets called out by his pals for some of the shit he does.
I like that all of them call each other out lol

Keep playing, his character gets far more defined over time (and while Flynn is more "agreeable" off the bat, the flaws in his ideology begin to get clearer over time as well)

Phantom Thief be sure to watch the prequel anime movie it's great

9b2dea849d8560ea97fda72992376be2e39ebb1f5d21e37f9fcf61ed7295ec30.gif

cd8c3fa87210d78bf23ef2c214e868b3bb293103_hq.gif
Is it a prequel?

Yuri is a main character you would never expect in a tales game, maybe in most rpgs as well, the way he talks and acts, soo mature.
Honestly I would never expect him in any JRPG period.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm at Nordopolica (about 15 hours) and I agree that Yuri is really not the typical main character. I understood it when he
killed Ragou
I didn't expect he could go up to the point and I'm looking forward to finding out more about his chacarcter development.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought you said you didnt like Tales games in the Vesperia hype thread i made 3 months ago.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
He is one of the most memorable protagonists across all games for me, and I don't even hold Tales of Vesperia in super high regard (it's a great game, don't get me wrong -- just not in any of my casually-formed "toplists").

He's an exceptionally charismatic, confident, capable character that's unusually positioned in his life experience and attitude toward the state of his world as far as videogames go, at least among the types of videogames I play.

I love Yuri Lowell. More characters like this, please.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am 80 hours into the game and I still love Yuri.

I like Rita as well. Awesome character.

Vesperia is one the best games ever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, Flynn is a bootlicker I'd side with Yuri anytime.

Yep, read what you quoted again haha. It's called Tales Of Vesperia: First Strike.
Lol, right, that makes sense. Plus Puppy Rapede should have given it away.
Troy Baker is obviously a good voice actor but he's never sounded right for that face for me
Honestly I never felt the voice didn't match.
He is one of the most memorable protagonists across all games for me, and I don't even hold Tales of Vesperia in super high regard (it's a great game, don't get me wrong -- just not in any of my casually-formed "toplists").

He's an exceptionally charismatic, confident, capable character that's unusually positioned in his life experience and attitude toward the state of his world as far as videogames go, at least among the types of videogames I play.

Yeah, absolutely. I think Vesperia as a whole is elevated for having Yuri as the protagonist.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I haven't played Vesperia ( will do later this year) but just wanted to say I really liked your turn of phrase for his appeal here. I like characters that have an interesting perspective for their game world, it makes him stand out more as a character that fully understands what's in play rather than the usual naive adolescents.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okey, I recommend playing Abyss as it is made by the Vesperia team and made in the same vein. No one is as good as Yuri, but it has Jade :P
Luke is also an interesting character. They actually play homage to Abyss in Vesperia.
Oh yeah, I have that one on 3DS, I started it but I remember it never held my attention. I'll go back to it after Vesperia and see if I fare better.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Absolutely. That game takes a while to get going.
I remember Abyss being the best Tales of story-wise, but yeah, it starts slowly. Also Luke is maybe the only Tales of MC that evolves during the game enough. Velvet in Berseria is not bad either but it's too edgy most of the times to be taken seriously.

I want to find time to replay Vesperia, as I remember it being a nice-looking Tales of games but nothing special, but I can say the same about most Tales of games. I only love Shymphonia and Phantasia (because I played them as a kid and they left an strong impression on me), but I hardly remember any other Tales of game as something special.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I am 80 hours into the game and I still love Yuri.

I like Rita as well. Awesome character.

Vesperia is one the best games ever.
Amen. The characters are the star of the game for me. Yuri is one of the best protagonists I've ever encountered in a game, and the supporting cast are of amazing quality as well (expect Patty, she sucks): Karol is the best side character ever, Rita is endearing when you considering one spoilery aspect of her, as well as her well-written exposés about blastia, and Raven and Judith are well-written and likable side characters. Flynn is a great mirror character for Yuri, with good internal conflicts of his own, and Repede is... a dog. Overall, it's the best cast of characters ever to grace a JRPG in my humble opinion.

Add to that the awesome combat system, the really fun story, and the great overworld map, and you have one of the best games ever made.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Abyss being the best Tales of story-wise, but yeah, it starts slowly. Also Luke is maybe the only Tales of MC that evolves during the game enough. Velvet in Berseria is not bad either but it's too edgy most of the times to be taken seriously.

I want to find time to replay Vesperia, as I remember it being a nice-looking Tales of games but nothing special, but I can say the same about most Tales of games. I only love Shymphonia and Phantasia (because I played them as a kid and they left an strong impression on me), but I hardly remember any other Tales of game as something special.
It's early days, but I feel I might like Vesperia more than I liked Symphonia (though Symphonia gets the nostalgia points, I guess).
We'll see how Vesperia holds up over the next 20 hours.